>got some videos and manuals together, trying to fix it
>dad and uncle know a bit, can give me some pointers
How retarded am I? Pic is the car.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IkiPTYjkB9k
greatergoosebay.com/home/files/pg/trans_labrador_highway_guide_may_2012-1.pdf
carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28171688
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is there any reason to get a F30 335i/340i over a F36 435i/440i Gran Coupe?

you would be better off junking that piece of shit and buying another piece of shit for $500 that actually
runs.

I recently bought it for 1200 bucks and spent that much in repairs already, plus I said I can't afford another car.

realistically, you're not going to be able to repair a head-gasket without any previous wrenching experience. You're also going to spend more than $500 to get it fixed.

I wouldn't put 2k into a vehicle that would sell for $900 running. List it on craigslist for $200, get a job for a few weeks/borrow money from your parents or uncle, and buy a running shit box until you can afford something nicer for like 2k.

I would only replace the HG if the transmission has already been rebuilt/replaced. They're notorious for being bad and if you've overheated the car chances are the trans fluid temps went through the roof too and heat are what kills these things.

All things considered, OHV engines are pretty damn simple, you don't even have to mess with the timing chain since the cam is in the block. If your uncle and dad can at least be around when you need help it can be done.

Also, you might as well do both HG while you're in there as well as your upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and anything else rubber that's old/dried out like vacuum hoses.

I've got a great youtube guide on hand though, I feel like that alone could put it into the realm of possibility. And frankly it's worth $1500 running.

What is the best way to learn about cars? Is there some Veeky Forums-approved guide or book? I literally know nothing and want to change that.

Alright b/o/ys, I need a little help. My OM606 is leaking diesel from this little valve on top of the fuel filter assembly. It's leaking from under the cap so replacing O rings won't fix it. A new replacement valve is $150. Think I can just wrap it with teflon tape to stop the bleeding? If I leave the car parked for more than 24 hours it gets air in the system through this leak, and is really annoying to start

Can someone explain the differences between FIA GTE and GT3 cars?

To be honest, either by getting a part time job at a quick lune and brakes shop, or getting the Haynes manual for your car and doing all the scheduled maintenance yourself.

If I wanted to restore a 64-65 falcon, how much should I budget?

Frankly it's not worth 1500 even running nicely, go ahead and try it but set aside 3 times as much time as think you will need and get ready to suffer the entire time working on it, that being said if you do manage to fix it you will have a working car and the knowledge and confidence to work on more stuff.

GT3 have ABS and TCS. That's the biggest differences.

Does anyone have experience buying crate engines online? looking at 350 chevys for around 5k. Are these legit engines or scams

25 Grand
No joke 24k if your gonna do most of the work yourself

Depends on the site.
Where are you looking?
Summit and JGES are reputable sites

What are some SUVs with comparable size to a 4runner

I found a few on Ebay but Ebay isnt really that used in my country so Im not sure how good they will be, Ill look into Summit cheers

This is precisely how to learn to do something...you are n a bit of a pickle, need a relatively inexpensive fix...use your google-fu padawan, you'll be just fine...

Can anyone confirm the reliability of the Lexus ls 430? I've heard the good things about them but not entirely sure. Also I can't into vehicles so having less problems is preferable

86 300zx. Ca r wont stay running when the MAF is connected. If the maf is disconnected, it stays running and sounds fine, but wont exceed 2500 rpm. I've googled the issue and found similar issues, but not quite the same. Can I bypass the maf completely? Or what could be causing the issue? Current owner says they bought a new maf for it but it didnt work.

I assume if I can bypass the maf then I could drive it 3 hours home, and then look at replacing lines, hoses, etc.

Any ideas?

When we say to buy a 3k civic, we really really mean it.
That car is a shitheap, don't throw good money after bad. You replace the headgaskets and they'll fail again amd so will the transmission and the brake lines and the wheel bearings and the fuel pump amd the alternator and the timing belt one right after the other.

90's Pathfinder
Jeep Grand Cherokee

Are there many police on roads like the Trans-Labrador Highway? Some of the places are so remote I can't imagine there being any police out there. Also I just found out Newfoundland and Labrador are actually really pretty and not just ice and rock. Does anyone here live there or has anyone visited there?

user, there are literally no police on highways in the middle of nowhere.
Why do you think serial killers have and still use them as their grounds to commit their acts?
People get in wrecks, go missing, and die on highways all the time with no law enforcement or cameras to save them.

I know my post is a little extreme, but my point still stands.
You don't have to worry about cops hiding in the bushes in the middle of nowhere just to catch you breaking some traffic laws.

Funny I just watched this video today
youtu.be/IkiPTYjkB9k

My guess is still a bad MAF. Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes too (long shot).

You're the type of person that sells a good running car that only sells for $1000, just because it needs $1000 in parts aren't you?

He's not trying to sell it, he's trying to drive it. Any $2k shitbox on Craig will need at least $500 in parts. You're going to spend money in parts to keep a car a cat on the road regardless. Why bother justifying the parts cost based on market value of the car, as long it's a grand and under? You're going to spend more money buying a more expensive car just because "it's worth it" at that point.

That's the opposite of my experience. I'm always saying "why the hell is there a cop way the fuck out here?"

If engine and trans work. Expect 3k just to get it running

Let's split the difference here.
If you're resolved to break some laws, do it far away from others, but if you do get caught don't be afraid of the time you'll have to serve or the tickets you'll have to pay.
Take it in stride.

Izusu rodeo

Aight I get it. I've lived in Ottawa my entire life so I wouldn't really know. I've been thinking about doing a road trip and just wanted to know thanks.

What is the difference between car wax and car polish? can I apply both to one vehicle? If so, in what order?

Considering there's literally a survival guide for the 500-510 I think the police are the least of your worries.

greatergoosebay.com/home/files/pg/trans_labrador_highway_guide_may_2012-1.pdf

Car wax is for the base and car polish is for in between washes.
Yes you can apply both.

Throw out bearing crapped out, opinions on replacing pressure plate as well? Slight groove worn in fingers. 220,000 miles on clutch

Do you think the maf can be completely bypassed? I doubt with the 2500 rpm limit I'd be able to get it up to highway speed.

If you had a V8 itd be perfectly fine

Save yourself a second round of pulling the transmission. Do an entire kit. Clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing. At 220k, that clutch is about done anyway. Resurface the flywheel or replace if it's cracked. Probably just needs a resurface though. The pilot bearing can be a bitch to remove. If it looks bad, I would replace it. If it's in decent condition, you could probably get away without out replacing it.

Sure, help me find and install said v8 and i'm all game. Ford v8 or ls meme? Ls engine are pretty expensive in my area, especially with matching trans

thinking about getting this as my first manual carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28171688 should i?

where the fuck can i buy a reasonably priced rx7 from?

Question: Can anyone tell me what the silver car in the back is?

280zx

Do people actually find running, city DD-able cars for under $1K?

Maybe but $1K cars are compromises. You MIGHT find one with a working drivetrain but maybe the brakes are shot or it needs new tires or everything electrical is fucked. $3K is where you start to get decent turn-key cars and $5K is where you get mostly reliable cars

why haven't I killed myself yet?

would it be a good idea to rebuild a 200k mile (how the fuck) 6-port 13b? It's only $500 and there is a video of it "running". I would love to buy a turbo-II 13b but they are going for $3k for whatever fucking reason. A god damn 3 rotor is going for just twice that

Thanks for the response, user. What about high mileage (but known to be reliable) cars like an older Camry, XJ, Accord, etc.?

self preservation is one hell of a drug

so does this mean there are 3 RCA inputs
front and backup cam AND dashcam
cuz if so I want to put my snes mini in my car as the front cam tbqh lads

Where are you finding 3k turbo rx7s?

Is a BUICK LeSabre 2000 a GOOD car??

have a quick gander at ebay
the 6-ports are even going for $1500

I've spoken to an importer here in florida and they said they just simply aren't getting any from Japan for whatever reason

Where do you guys get your information/schematics on the workings of a car?

ie a car i'm looking at has some minor front bumper damage from a shitty drive way and i want to know if there's any important electronics in there that may also have been damage.

Hi guys I picked up a 1990 Volvo 240 DL with some damage to the rear for $800 and the guy threw in some snow tires too, the only problem with it is motormounts are going bad and the trans slipps from first to second sometimes and second to third but thats probably my paranoia. But if the trans dies should I swap to a manual or just replace with another automatic?

Any fuel-injected 3.8L Buick will be a reliable car, LeSabre included.

like this is fucking ridiculous. I can buy an absolute fucking shitbox fd for $6k with the engine still in it. Fucking spics

check for scored cylinder liners
and sometimes the engine deck will need squaring
>:-;

If it's running with the MAF unplugged it must have a MAP as well to keep the motor running. Not sure why it won't go over 2500 rpm. Try going full throttle once it's fully warmed up. It may be able to because in closed loop the car generally ignores MAP and MAF data and just does what it's preprogrammed to do.

But real answer is you should try to fix it.

whatever the mfr calls 'factory service manual'

it may be a single 1000 page book with several additional smaller books. I.e. toyota has them available for download in pieces from their online service for a day or two for a few bucks.

user that's not a 3k Civic. You'll be back here in a week asking how to fix something.

Bong here. The number plate fell off my car and I much prefer the look of not having one. I'm not a fan of off centre plates either. I was thinking of getting a plate made up to glue onto the windscreen in the top left corner. From what I've read the law requires me to have the plate ( of course) and that I cannot obstruct my view with stickers.

So it looks like I should get away with it legally but I can't find any examples of people doing this or discussing this. Can anyone on here prove that this is illegal?

I got my new 77 ranchero and drove it the 180 miles home. it's in surprisingly good shape. sprung no leaks and just needed topping off with a little brake fluid in the master cylinder.

the only mechanical issue I'm having is, when starting from cold, it takes a little while to get to turn over. starter seems to be working strong, and it will turn over for a few seconds. if I give it some gas in park, it will stall until I let it warm up a little. some starter fluid through the filter on the carb seems to get it moving faster from cold. it is a new edelbrock that seems to be installed properly.

can anyone help me diagnose this cold start problem? I'll be happy to give as much info as I can.

also, if I put it in gear and give some throttle, it'll stall as well. this happens until I let the engine sit for about a minute, and only then will it run long enough to get it to move in gear.

so I went through an icy february with an fr-s and all-season tires

basically the past few winters here in the Midwest have been extremely mild, at worst there's a couple inches of snow and the car will probably slide around on freezing ice regardless of tire, are snow tires REALLY necessary here? it's a modern car with lsd/abs/traction control and some decent all seasons...

I recently picked up a 92 Honda Prelude. There's supposed to be some plastic piece that attaches tot he front bulkhead that gives something for the top middle of the bumper cover to attach to, as it's currently just wired on and making the hood kind of have a lip off the top. What exactly is that plastic structure called? I'm worried about wind catching the hood and ripping it up

im looking at getting a new car in the next few years, right now i have it narrowed down to either a new charger gt or a 2-3 year old genesis g80, give me some pros and cons or other suggestions to similar cars that are under 35k, must have adaptive cruise control for daily driving in traffic and over 25mpg hwy.

Hey Veeky Forums I need help identifying what this is. I got rear ended yesterday in my ‘14 Mustang. this piece is hanging off my car. I’m wondering if I can take it off and drive it to the shop. There are electrical wires and other plugs connected to it. I thought maybe splash guard til I saw the wires. Anyone know?

Knowledge base question.

Did anyone every do a V8 in a Minivan?

From the factory, not some nutter with too much time.

is exhaust attached to it? looks like a cat if that's the case.

No, pic makes it look like it but the pipes run alongside it, not connected at all. It’s black plastic.

a bit of googling later it looks like its part of the gas evap system for the fuel tank.

I never even heard of this thing but you are correct. Thanks a lot dude

Is the alternator fucked or just the belt?
>Driving home
>Battery indicator starts flashing, electronics slowly failing, eventually stalls
>Can start the car fine after a few hours of waiting but with the same result
MGF btw.

What years and models of volvo are good daily drivers to own?

I got a coolant leak in a 98 explorer and I can't find the origin.
My powersteering went out too, so I can barely move it without straining myself. The fuck happened?

Is it worth the time to sell parts for your car on craigslist or just sell the entire car at once?

I don't really have a question but I want to vent and whine

>want to retire my dodge truck
>spend 5k on a subaru outback
>spend another 3k for head gaskets
>after 2 months it has HG symptoms again
>scared as fuck and poor
>taking it into mechanic tomorrow
>90% sure he's gonna say the HG failed right after he fixed them
>can't afford another 3k
>will have to sell it at massive loss and buy another car

I fell for the meme, I'm out 1/3rd of my yearly earnings and I feel like shit and super stressed out and can't stop this gnawing pain in my stomach

>gonna have to try an find some old toyota corolla for like 1500 and hope that doesn't kill itself on me

Depends on what you have, but yes you'll usually come out with more money but it will take a year or two to sell everything off. However if you have something rare, say a Saab, you might have it parted out in a month or two.

>carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28171688
>late model VAG product.

No.

Theres only one rule of thumb during clutch jobs:

Replace EVERYTHING while you're in there.

It is an exceptional car if it wasn’t black owned.

Nigga, the car runs at a thousand degrees. Seems like a great thing to put next to the fuel tank.

If it's the same mechanic, tell him to fix it for free since his repair was shit. If he won't, sell it ASAP on craigslist for super cheap and call it a hard lesson learned. You will never get that money back, just kiss it goodbye now.

Not getting enough fuel, probably just needs an adjustment. Check that the choke valve is closed on cold start too.

If you can get around OK on snow and ice without, then fine. Some all seasons are garbage in the cold, some are pretty good. I got some General Altimax rt43 (all seasons) last fall and they kick ass in snow and ice.

ACURA MDX, Q7, or BMW X3?

Yes, I know the X3 is out of the place when I just listed 2 3-Row SUVS, but the X3 is all I really need. The larger size is just for carrying more shit if I really need to.

No, the Q5 sucks, so don't rec that.

Hood latch reciever? Not sure.

Tesla Model 3

Not that I've ever heard of. Plenty of vans have v8s though.

You have a 20 year old Ford what do you expect?

Damn man. Seriously fuck Subaru, all I ever hear about is catastrophic engine failure with them.

Everyone says the x3 is far inferior to the x5. The MDX had reliability issues (don't know about currently) and the Q7 is Audi so noo. What about a Lexus RX?

Wife already has a 2013 RX 350 and from what I've heard, the previous gen is better. Damn, so nothing good for SUVs?

QX50 is kind of cool if you can get over that it's a Nissan. It's built on the G37 platform and has the same engine and trans, also RWD.
BMW X5 might be worth checking out. Possibly Range Rover, not sure what they've got right now. I think they're owned by Tata or someone these days though. The Sport was cool but it's not new anymore.

I meant Land Rover, and yes they're owned by Tata aka poo in loos.

Are Mazda 6 reliable particulary 3.0 v6 2003 model

Never mind I figured it out. There's an av jack that I can connect the snes mini to

i went through this. you have an early non turbo 606. I ended up just throwing in a 603 banjo bolt. prob 20 bucks from mb but carry vice grips or something so you can shut off the car. those model injection pumps didn't have a mechanical stop lever iirc

is it fine if i mix aftermarket coolant with OEM coolant? my car is a 09 honda accord. i already have a gallon of OEM coolant from last time i changed it so i just need to buy another gallon.

Hit up ccg, Typically called a header panel, if it's what I'm thinking

Evap canister. If it's cracked or malfunctioning you will get a check engine light soon. It's just emissions, so you won't damage the car by driving it if it's malfunctioning.

Could be either. Just check the belt first. Typically your car will overheat if it slung a serpentine belt though. Unless you have a timing belt driven water pump.

Coolant leak could be from anywhere. Probably not related to the power steering issue.

As long as the coolants are compatible types. Read the fine print on the aftermarket jug, it will tell you what it is compatible with.