4 cylinder turbo or v6?

4 cylinder turbo or v6?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a3rbAdPQKmU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

6 cylinder turbo

V6, I like inline 4's but 4 turbos are the most obvious corporate minmaxing I've seen in some time.
V6s tend to actually have value assosiated with them

Neither.

V8. Anything else is for poors

>building engines that reliably run 25 pounds of boost stock
>minmaxing

inline 5

>he fell for the stock internals meme

Paging /u/V8LivesMatter

Put in a V6 and call it Viper

>not having a V12

Literally dirt poor

4 NA

>no W16
literally no earthly possessions

V6 for me

V6

I4 turbo.
I will never drive a car with a v6 because im not a faggot.

>he doesn't drive a V24
how do you even exist?

>when he doesn't have access to dry and wet thrust
Why haven't you ended your self already?

4 cyl NA with trumpets

>not using micro gas turbines in your car

pistoncucks

real talk
the turbo 4 because turning boost up is easier than making a NA engine go fast. Even if you can get the v6 to nascar-tier all motor performance, it's still a v6

>Look mommy I can run 25psi of boost with 9:1 compression
Which engine are you referring to so I can even see the point you're trying to make

By the time you can make the 4cyl do 900hp, it's almost the same cost as the v6

and why would you want 900hp? retard

has there ever been a NA v6 that made 900hp?

>he doesnt run 50psi of boost through a 4-cylinder

apply yourself

i traded in a V6 for a Turbo 4, no regrets besides the lack of any meaningful sound from the exhaust.

>Wanting to be a childish douche making loud fart noises

4turbo is a more efficient way if doing exactly what a v6 does if not better.

nice but probably sounds like shit

I thought we were talking about potential? I guess not

We're talking about modified cars, try to keep up, it would obviously be converted to a turbo v6

>I thought we were talking about potential? I guess not
you're right we weren't lol

>We're talking about modified cars, try to keep up, it would obviously be converted to a turbo v6
read op

Unsurprisingly for an engine with ITB and no muffler it sounds like a race engine.
>youtube.com/watch?v=a3rbAdPQKmU

I've read the OP, but someone was saying something about retuning a turbo 4 away from factory, the OP is strictly factory engines, and as a result is not a fair comparison when talking about aftermarket meddling. My actual point is that the manufacturer is cheaping out on parts for turbo 4's and charging the same as they would for a v6, using boost to make up the difference in power. Factory engines with high boost have high backpressure due to emissions, and as a result are doomed to grenade after about 100k miles on average

2.5L 4cyl with vtak

4 cyl turbo is going to be WAY better on gas

>Factory engines with high boost have high backpressure due to emissions, and as a result are doomed to grenade after about 100k miles on average
that's some series of tubes talk right there

Its nonsense, he can't back any of it up, its far more likely that your DI system will gunk up your valves to the point you lose 10% power rather than them "grenading" themselves

There have been tons of small cylinder engines with turbos going hundreds of thousands of miles without issue

>There have been tons of small cylinder engines with turbos going hundreds of thousands of miles without issue
This is untrue, they all need turbo replacements at some point because 1200c exhaust manifold temps turns bearing housing oil into carbon over time.

Series of tubes? I'm not sure what you're referencing

There are of course exceptions, it is possible I'm projecting some kind of salt towards how terrible vw, fiat, and similar automakers being so shitty as they are. I also find that many turbo 4cyls do not make the kind of power you'd expect from a hairdryer

NA i6

>This is untrue, they all need turbo replacements at some point because 1200c exhaust manifold temps turns bearing housing oil into carbon over time.
No they don't, this is purely anecdotal and not even an overarching generalization in the least.

>There are of course exceptions
What you're even talking about isn't even true, what you're talking about is the exception to the reliability.

I work on turbos for a living, this is most definitely the case, no company has figured out a way to protect engine oil from those temps yet in a turbocharger. It's the same reason VNT hasn't taken off in petrol like diesel, the heat negatively effects the actuation of the vanes in the turbine housing.

>I work on turbos for a living
No you fucking don't, you read some shit on the internet, didn't understand any of it and now you're shitposting generalizations and stereotypes as if they're fact when really you're just being obfuscating on purpose. Your next post isn't going to involve ANY citations and you'll put some other broad statement like "dude more parts = more complexity = more likely to fail" or some other fallacy that still has no bearing on what ACTUALLY happens.

Mate, I was enjoying his posts.

>protect engine oil from those temps yet in a turbocharger
Oh man if only there were a way to reduce the temperature of the oil via some sort of cooler hmm maybe like an OIL COOLER maybe?

Your turbo engine is more likely to heat soak the intercooler than it is your oil, even if your oil the only thing that is going to happen is oxidize and the viscosity will increase like all paraffin wax hydrocarbon oil products. Even then the interval to change oil isn't much different than naturally aspirated engines and if you're racing you're well outside the manufacturer designs of the car.

Quick question to the arguing gentlemen;
How many turbos in the last 10 years came as oil cooled versus water cooled?

Might pay to find out.

depends on the manufacturer

Trouble is an oil cooler is external and the damage occurs within the bearing housing, water cooling within the bearing housing helps but it's only a mitigating factor.

Heh, course I don't.

Theyre all oil cooled and nearly all of them, at least on petrols are also water cooled these days.

4 cylinder twincharged

>literal commiebox
no thanks

v6 honestly.
similar power, but the 6 is always more reliable with better power delivery.

Literally the Chrysler EDJ/EDZ SRT4 motor. On stock internals.

4g63t stock internals can

V8 turbo is pretty gud desu

V6 all the way. Turbos ruin the power curve and destroy the feel the car is supposed to have.

How about Inline-5 instead :^)