Timing

Chain>belt

lel

VW could fuck up a wet dream.

Still better than the belts.

Oh yes, this is so much better

Agreed

Chains are better, until the moment you need to change them.
At least it is on the right side of the engine bay.

Cogs>everything else

Agreed. We call them gears in burgerland.

You are like a little baby. Watch this.

>current year
>using anything except chain/gear driven pushrod engines

Belt + non interference engine masterrace

This kills your dreams.

>not using timing gears
What are you, gay?

Belt with interference is actually best unless the owner is an idiot who doesn't change their belts.

What about using belts with a non interference pushrod engine? It's that retarded or actually a good idea?

Glorious Ferrari F50

>fatal flaw is fine so long as you constantly have to avoid it

Anyone who disagrees with OP is a retard

Belt > chain. You know when it needs to be replaced. You can plan for it and since it's designed to be replaced it's potentially easier than doing a chain.

>double roller
This guy gets it

>Own a glorious L6 with a timing chain on it
>Car is at 196k miles on original chain
>No signs of needing a chain
>Engine can be had for $150 in junkyards all over the nation anyday of the week

>Own car with poofta turbo 4
>Car is at 40k miles
>Car is twice past its belt change interval by mileage
>Car is mid engine so you need to pull the engine to do the belt
>Engine is essentially unreplaceable 1 of 256

Ye, nah fuck belts.

Timing!

Interference improves efficiency
Doing routine maintenance on your engine every 100 000km should be common sense, you do change your engine oil regularly don't you?

are belt to chain conversion kits a thing that exists?

>km

Well considering chains run in oil and belts run in air, no.

this is my dreams

some belts run in oil

>amerishart triggered by superior measuring units

you could make one, but i doubt it

>his car doesn't have both a chain and belt
inferior choice I see

t. VW 1.8T

Chains last the life of the car, but the chain tensioners don't. Belts run quieter and are designed with a set lifespan and replacement schedule.

Belt to gear conversion kits exist, so probably. You'd need either separate oil/grease or to somehow run an oil line into the new chain case. Separate oil is probably easier and wouldn't really ever need changing since it doesn't get dirty.

>some belts run in oil
disgusting, I can't even imagine what kind of slippage it'd have.

Freevalve > Gear drive > Chain drive > Belt drive

Vaporware.

>2 stroke

Correctly designed chain tensioners will happily last the life of an engine. There are no belts that do.

>put pump gas in it
>engine seizes

>solenoid powered valves
>lose the throttle plate completely, control airflow directly with the valve lift
imagine the throttle response

>no stroke

>What is oil injection
No oil changes ever needed. Always has new fresh clean oil

Freevalve doesn't exist yet in a way that allows it to be compared against the others.

Do oil injectors solve the problem of modern gas having alcohol in it which dissociates from and breaks down oil?

In applications where oil injected 2 strokes were once popular (lawn mowers and outboard boat motors) they've largely been replaced by 4 strokes.

why not have 2chainz

Thats actually from my car when i changed the thermostat (engine didnt got warmer than 60C° in the winter)

i know it seems like a pipe dream currently but im hyped for the tiny possibility that one day you will be able to convert engines to freevalve or boy freevalve crate engines.

what the fuck is it doing there

You mean the thermostat? I know, shitty place. had to pull the whole front off.

Does the housing and hose for the coolant go through the space occupied by the timing belt?

this is nightmare fuel

>german engineering

Yeah kind of. The housing is pretty long, its behind the Belt and goes to the right side of the engine.
Normally youre required to pull the timing belt off. But mine isnt that old so i decided to push it off the wheels just enough so i could remove the housing.

Pic related, its the housing

>four rings
You did this to yourself.

Well youre kinda right.

My father was like "why would they put it there"
But when you realise they engineered that engine to use it in VW Passat, Audi A4 A6 A8 and Skoda Superb... they had to compromise.

Lucky me is a mechanic, so no problem doing it myself. having that done at the repair shop would have cost more than 1000€

Sometimes you have to pay the price for driving the car you love but wrenching is fun so it wasnt that bad, sure wasted a whole day with that but who cares if its fun

that's the spirit !

Gotta hand it you ferrari, that is pretty sexy

+ these

x this

assemble this

>climb in here get a little closer

where's the trick?

>turn this fucking thing while somehow stopping the crankshaft from crankshafting

>crankshafting

i kek'd

what still used a belt besides a few of chevys eco cars?

>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Honda still uses a belt in the 3.5L V6 they put in loads of vehicles.

I thin Toyota has an engine that still uses a belt, though they fixed most of them.

what is this?

brain stroke

fiat and ford most likely

It's possible to replace the timing belt on the MR2 without dropping the engine.

every second link works like a cam that shortens the chain
works very well
shame the rest of the car sucks

why did rotary valves not take off again?

How often do chains need to be replaced though? I thought they lasted much longer.

There's no good reason to have that there at all.

BMW doesn't even pull this level of fucktardry.

My engine has a knock. I think it's because the timing chain is cutting into the chain guide. And I can't just pull off the cover like a Honda engine so God knows how I'm gonna fix it

Depends on the engine, most will last 200k plus, which may as well be the lifetime of most engines.

Most belts need to be replaced every 60k but the trade off is typically they're much easier to get to.

They do if the oil has been changed regularly and the tensioner hasn't been neglected.

>know when it needs to be replaced
anywhere between 30 and 60 kkm
every 5 or 7 years even with no use
at random when ever you feel like it
when ever any other work is being done
if any dust or fluid touches it
wind changed ? change timing belt

when the chain links have doubled in length and the sprockets have razor sharp teeth
or when ever your timing is a little out / engine running slightly rough

I have a 1978 300 Inline 6. Timing can't break unless a I shear teeth off of the gears.

Gear driven>chain driven>belt

It is though, belts don't chop guides out and whip into timing covers. Also no oil to seal. The caveat being the whole belt needs changing rather than just guides but IMO belt changes generally aren't too hard.

>Aka no power master race
Enjoy your lack of power

oil submerged belts are the de wei now

Heh, you learn something new every day, never seen one.

Blame on the plastic tensioners

BMW is German perfection.
BMW gets lumped intot the "german engineering" meme because VAG and Merc are.
BMW is wonderful.
I would give my first child for 90's BMW.
I just spent the last two days working on my Porsche dropping the entire rear subframe, which you have to remove the clutch to do.
What was I replacing you ask?
The rear shift coupling.
Why did I need to drop the subframe to replace that you ask?
Because some fuck nut at VAG though it would be capital to stick a countersunk 4mm female hex fastener on the car in a location with nothign but a few inches at most of access.

Lock the flywheel. 2 bolts - one in flywheel (one of the pressure plate holes) and one in the block (one of the bellhousing bolt holes) connect the bolts with a flat piece of metal with 2 holes in it. Or wire. Or rope. Or string.
Or
use a long M14x1.25 bolt, put it real deep in a spark plug hole and turn the motor with the wrench until a piston touches the bolt.

Fill a cylinder on its compression stroke with sand then put the plug back in.

Wut Dee ffuuccc!!!111!

That is pretty wonky. I'm glad mine just juts out the side of my engine.

Sounds like a 924 or one of its descendants