Automatic Stop-Start System

Why are car manufactures putting automatic stop-start systems in so many cars? I didn't realize this was a thing until I rented a car recently, and it's incredibly annoying, and you can't really disable it. The gas it saves is marginal, and if you're buying a luxury or full size car, fuel efficiency isn't your top concern anyway so why put them in cars like that? I'd imagine long term it can't be that great for your engine to constantly be starting and stopping either.

>The gas it saves is marginal, and if you're buying a luxury or full size car, fuel efficiency isn't your top concern anyway so why put them in cars like that? I'd imagine long term it can't be that great for your engine to constantly be starting and stopping either.

EPA/Corporate Average Fuel economy. They need to, across their fleet, make a minimum Fuel economy, as rated by the EPA in their testing, not actual driving.

It's why we're seeing the other metals and gimmick displacelet motors.
srs

Emissions bro

It's very helpful for long lights. In LA traffic light waits can easily be a minute and any wait longer than 5-10 seconds is the crossover point where starting and restarting saves fuel. The only downside is that you increase starter wear. The system only works when the engine is hot so there's no engine wear from cold starts.

Generally these cars have beefier alternators and batteries for this purpose
And Delphi's new 48V mild-hybrid system with a starter/alternator combo would be perfect for start-stop

>The gas it saves is marginal
that depends entirely where you are driving.
if you live in a heavily congested european city it will save you a lot.
if you live in some bum ass generic american town it is going to be marginal.

Wow this is retarded and dangerous

>be me
>at stoplight in new econobox
>see stacey barreling towards me in her new 4 row double-decker SUV with optional 5th wheel
>she doesn't see me, too busy texting chad
>try to drive away, but car has to start back up
>car starts up, but my wheels won't even spin unless my turbo spools to above 50psi
>too late, she hits me and paralyzes me for life

Reminder that new Lexus vehicles don't have that shitty cuckfeature. Buy Lexus.

This honestly terrifies me every time I drive the new TLXs

they are probably stockpiling all the starters they will sell to people when theirs shits the bed from 10x the use.

The engine starts up and and idling before you're done taking your foot off the brake

Why does Veeky Forums love making bullshit stories about stuff they have zero personal experience with?

Some do, some don't.

I had a rental Durango that took at least 2 full seconds to start, from the time I started taking pressure off the brake.

My car has it (2015 Scirocco) but it can be disabled with a button-press each time I first start the car - I tend to forget to do that when I'm running late though and the first time when the engine re-starts at traffic lights it always makes me jump, like someone has gently bumped my car .

It's for emissions or fuel economy number-juggling (or both knowing VAG) but it does help with UK road tax costs - my previous 1.6 turbo Astra cost just over £20 per month and this car has a 2.0 turbo but costs £13 for the tax.

I can confirm against you, I have a new 2017 escape, it takes a full 3 seconds from when I take my foot off the brake then to the throttle to accelerate for it to start back up

>Implying auto breaks won't be standard in Stacy's cat at that point.
I love how Nissan is going full she right now and still think their commercial is PC after it saves a girl.

I won't buy a vehicle with this feature.

Even my mother after having experienced the stop/start system in a rental Mercedes swore to never buy a car with one. That being said I wouldn't mind it if it was an optional feature that is normally off, like foglights for example.

Neither do most other new cars...

i have a 2015 malibu with this feature and turning the ac on will disable it

simple as that faggots

>auto brakes kick in
>stacy hasnt changed her brakepads for 5 years
>brakes dont do fuckall
epic

>start/stop feature in a full size SUV
What the fuck

Why are American cars so shit?

EPA.
Which brought us Ecoboost but that's another topic.

>Car is self driving and drives off in a fleet of autonomous cars to be service
>Stacy literally doesn't know

>I'm wrong so I'm just gonna shitpost

More shit to break for more dealership visits. Its a lifestyle you bought into

>Why are car manufactures putting automatic stop-start systems in so many cars?
They don't want to do Volkswagon hacks to improve their MPG or emissions during the EPA testing. So things like start/stop engines are one way to improve the test results. It transfers the maintenance cost to the consumer though.

To prevent it, don't push all the way down on the brake pedal. In my GM car, I brake normally approaching the stop sign or traffic light but near the very end of the braking, I let off on the pedal a slight bit. By holding the pedal down only enough to stop the car from moving forward, the engine doesn't stop. After you drive a bit, your foot will become accustomed to how much pressure is needed to avoid engine start/stop.

Lower the fuel economy requirements or relax the safety of cars so theyre not bloated fucking soaps on wheels, remember both were made more stringent under obama so trump should reverse this travesty towards american economic power

If people idling in traffic in major cities are so god damn worried about their carbon footprint or emissions then more of them need to stop fucking driving and find other alternative transport modes

>car came with this feature on by default
>bought a $20 cable to connect the odb2 to my laptop
>now it's off by default

Wow!

That's fine, put them in something like a honda civic then, as an option, because if I were in the market for a small car I wouldn't want this bullshit in it either.

What blows my mind is they're putting them in full size luxury sedans and SUVs. If I'm willing to pay extra for a large comfortable car with a decent sized engine, why am I forced have this annoying feature when I don't even care about how much fuel I burn? It's my car and my money, and I'd happily eat the few dollars this saves a month not to cause excessive wear on my car and the annoyance of having it shut down without my input. I was looking at the Buick LaCrosse for my dad and it's a $40k+ new full sized luxury sedan and you can't get it without this annoying feature. I'm not even interested in the car anymore because of how much I hated it in the rental cars I've driven.

Gm is obama motors

Even 911s have start stop

Get a nissan or infiniti they dont have start stop

>why am I forced have this annoying feature
As previously said, it is a method to legally game the EPA and EU mileage and emission tests. There is a large financial incentive. The government charges various gas guzzler and emissions guzzler and mileage guzzler fees not just on specific _MODELS_, but also on the entire _MAKE_. By using gimmicks like start/stop and replacing spare tire with a can of Inflate-a-Flat, this improves the MPG and emissions statistics for the entire Make. Thus the penalties for guzzling become less and the company can make more of the bigger profit guzzling cars.

Sounds like less govt is the answer

Get a car where it can be disabled. My W205 c-class has a button to switch it off.

>buy a car
>car didn't come with fix-a-flat
>car didn't come with spare
>car did come with RFTs that cost $400 each to replace

Oh boy maybe I didn't think this through too well.

depends on the traffic stops, in my country, a stop can easily be over 1minute long, and driving a car that doesnt have this system, i can easily imagine it giving me instead of 10l/100km to something like 9l/100km.

Oh sweet just drive around all winter with the ac, perfect.

you can disable every time you start the car.
With brake hold system it's really nice, when you see green light and car start moving you gently hit the gas pedal and the engine starts while the brake hold system is still holding the car. also if you don't push the brake to hard the car won't shut down.

The only down side is when you accidentally push the brake pedal hard and the engine stops.

It's only happens to virgins drivers

So you have to hit the stupid button every time? You can't permanently turn the shitty system off?

>As previously said, it is a method to legally game the EPA and EU mileage and emission tests. There is a large financial incentive.
If I'm paying $40k, $50k, or even more for a car that shouldn't be my problem. I shouldn't get a more complicated, less reliable, annoying car because the company's trying to shave an MPG off their average to appease the government.

>If I'm paying $40k, $50k, or even more for a car that shouldn't be my problem. I shouldn't get a more complicated, less reliable, annoying car because the company's trying to shave an MPG off their average to appease the government.

Give you what you want, and not what mm'govment lets you have?
Shocked I say!

You mean you'd prefer a simple powerful motor with less gimmicks vs one with more gimmicks and mm'emissions?
>Buttbutbutmahprogresss.webm says the EPAcucks