Post retarded shit automakers do

Post retarded shit automakers do.

They also did SAAB like a third-world nation with natural resources.

Making crucial oil and coolant retaining components in my mini out of plastic. They're all disintegrating since I live in Florida.

>making automobiles

Let's put the alternator under the power steering pump and then put crappy seals throughout the power steering system!
>t. LS400

making a sump plug need a torx bit to be removed. is pikeys draining oil from an engine really enough of an issue to warrant not using a normal fucking sump plug?

GM hate thread?
GM hate thread.
Really GM? Sway bar bushing bolt heads on top of the subframe? How the fuck am I suppose to get to them?

This.

>tfw just replaced power steering pump and alternator
>tfw did job by myself and saved almost $800.

Reminder that this post is the objective truth

forgot pic

my Mazda 3's dash literally melted into a sticky goop because of heat
At least they finally did a recall/warranty extension after tons of people bitched

>TFW ppl with "modern cars" talk shit bout muh 1970s fiat

Water pumps powered by the timing chain.
Looking at you GM.

Fuck them for thinking a sports car could use a plastic radiator

Why is this a problem unless you have a shit water pump. Just replace the timing chain as the same time as the water pump, 2 for 1

Yeah you're not getting out of that one

heat stakes

it's where they want to fit two parts together so they mold one side with stakes and the other side with holes. the stakes go thru and they use a heated punch to mushroom the head, joining them together. a lot of automakers use them to attach door cards together (ok because there isn't a conceivable reason to take the door card apart) but some use it for, say, a blower motor clamshell.

so in the last few years of the cavalier they did this. you have to drill the stakes out to get into the housing and change the blower motor. into the part they molded pilot holes for wood screws when you put it back together.

i dont like this design at all but what really gets me is they went so far to save a few cents per car on traditional fasteners. makes me think about some of the other stuff they skimp on, and makes me think about that scene in fight club where they talk about insurance.

which one

Almost every Ferrari and Maserati made between ~95 and ~05 had the same issue.

I wouldn't say examples like OP or are "retarded shit" unless they constantly fail. Any time you can integrate two parts into one it's going to be a win for manufacturing since you remove pieces of the supply chain, and cut a step out of the assembly.

>GM
>making any good part

have fun replacing the timing belt every 50k

the water pump on my gubmant motor went out at 80k miles and to change it out you have to have a $50 special tool that holds the timing chain in place. A belt water pump is just simpler.

Simpler for service, not necessarily more simple for manufacturing. GM doesn't give a shit about any service needs unless it's likely to fail while under warranty to a degree the warranty cost would by higher than what they saved with the design in the first place. Why would a company spend more money on the construction of a car to make it easier for you to fix?

GM used to make the plenum in the 70s/80s and even into the '90s with a guide line molded into it where you would cut the fucker open to get to the blower, then I guess tape it shut again.

C5 z06

Nissan does this as well. Pain in the ass to change

BMW apparently thinks plastic won't degrade over time with heat apparently.

I ended up replacing as much as i could with aluminum/metal in my 540i.

>implying they don't do that on purpose
>implying they don't test those seals to, on average, fail right after warranty

Bearings don't last forever, and if you have minor leak it'll eventually corrode the bolts that hold it on. Worse still typically chains are behind everything on the front of the engine.

>GM thread
>auto shifter assembly has unsecured dowel pin that comes lose and falls out, causing the shifter button get stuck depressed and keys stuck in steering column

>chrysler cirrus
>battery access is via wheelarch

that's no puddles 4 u, and enjoy removing the arch liner after anything more than 100 miles of travel

Lmao and people call German cars over engineered?

>reducing total amount of parts and assembly time
>over engineering
Looks like just plain engineering to me.

Biodegradable wiring insulation.

Build the most advanced street chasis in history
Just finish up work on one of the newest most exciting V8 to come along since the LS.
Nah let's put a turbo charged six cylinder in the car instead.

Nothing else comes close to this level of retardation.

1 heard it all before
2 they don't know wtf they are on about with crusty memes
3 I hope they eat shit over that ponzi scheme they call a car

I don't mind that it's a v6 since it has more power then their NA v8, but it should have a turbo V10 to match the aesthetics

this my g37 has a leaking water pump seal and drips out of a hole on the block.

Yup.
V10 might have made this car, king of the burgers.

This was was Anakin-getting-his-legs-cut-off Sad.
That 05 Ford GT was a sex machine.
The 2017 edition...

Don't forget to run a driveshaft through your oil pan.
>t. IS250 owner

I'll remember that as I'm changing out my $600 water cooled alternator every 30000 miles on my piece of shit 540i.

I design the machines that perform that operation. Most are ultrasonic. We hate it too.

6 cylinders are superior

also

>LS
>good

I love doing G37 water pumps.

In the vaterland plastics dont disintegrate. You live in stupid place therefore its not faulf of bmw ag

Saab dicked em right back.

GM: "hey Saab, can you badge engineer this Vectra for me?"
Saab: "sure thing, boss"
>puts a saab engine and transmission in it, stretches the frame 3 inches, redesigns the suspension, and at least doubles the rollover survivability chance

GM shows back up on inspection day and flips the fuck out because it is definitely not the Vectra they asked for. Saab were a bunch of quirky Swedish engineers who didnt like the future of cars that everyone else envisioned. They refused to play ball, made weird shit, and they did little to endear themselves to their overlords. Do i miss em? Absolutely. But did they earn the dicking that GM gave em? Yes.

>making snapchat posts that make you seem like you know about cars
I deleted social media because I found myself doing this too much and people were catching on. It'll happen to you too. Fag

I think they did that on a subaru of some kind, the B4 maybe?

my cadillac does it too.

Everything about it. Every fucking thing.

Mercedes w124 4Matics front coil setup

T. never replaced a timing chain before

Generally everything on the front of the motor has to come off. 10 hours labour minimum

Bike hate:
Ape and duc, and other manufacturers use a nylon fuel tank made by acerbis. That shit expands due to ethanol content of fuel. Italy is one of the few countries that doesn't have ethanol in their fuel and thus didn't account for that. So many lawsuits have been about the expanding fuel tanks it's ridiculous. I ended up making a kevlar + CF composite one for my bike.
Aprilia used a plastic nylon water pump impeller that would shred itself after a while in the dorsoduro. Later models upgraded to metal ones.
Some italian bike models have awful waterproofing. You can really notice how they put all the money into the engine itself and the frame and developed the rest as an afterthought.
Suzuki's sv650 has a hilarious design. The oil pick up line is mounted so high that a gud wheelie or prolonged low wheelie will starve the rear cylinder of oil, leading to a rekt engine. Anecdotes say even hektik track cornering can lead to cylinder scoring
Fuck kawa for making an underbelly exhaust for the er6 and not rustproofing it. That shit rusts so fast.

Car hate:
Fuck PSA for this bullshit, pic related. The air filter is sandwiched between the engine and the firewall and cover by multiple plastics. This shit is truly beyond retarded although I bet a CAI will have actual gains in that car
Fuck smart for using a decent getrag autobox but not having it self adjust the clutch bite point leading to a slow gear change. You need the MB star software for that, hence the smart roadsters reputation for slow gear shifts. A properly adjusted one is decently fast.
Fuck smart in general for their """""brabus""""" rims that feature oem rust. Their waterproofing is bad too, and a leakage can lead to a rekt ecu
Fuck every manufacturer not featuring a dip stick unless they have a contingency for when the sensor fails.
Fuck PSA for their truly horrendous rustproofing. Renault is guilty of this shit too

Why is anything plastic or rubber in an engine? Is it always to save cost?

Yeah well, that is the only faul with it

Honda steering racks be like
>hey lets put the hex head section of the inner tie rod RIGHT UP AGAINST THE MOUNTING BOLT FOR THE FUCKING RACK
>good luck replacing inner tie rods, capitalist pig

What countries have ethanol in all their fuel? We have E10 and E85 in Australia, but all our other fuel has no ethanol.

I have an Ecotec too lol

Yuropistan mostly has 5-8% ethanol in everything. France only has 10% in RON 95 and 98. Germoney, waffle land, dutch caliphate have 5-8% in RON 95 and 98. Shell claims their 98 is ethanol free which is true but it contains the usual amount in n-propanol. In netherlandistan we do have competition 102 which is actual ethanol free (and free of other short chain alcohols) but it costs 2+ euro per liter.
The liberal cunts here are fooled by a product called Blue 95. It's a ron 95 fuel but has 13-18% wet ethanol / 10-13% dry ethanol. It's .01 euro cheaper per liter but it contains less energy per volume, eventually costing more lmap

Those fucking plastic screws that expand prongs out of the end to stay in.
Ive never worked on a car thats had all of them intact.
Fucking plastic screws jesus.

>go to change the music volume
>accidentally grenade your transmission by going into reverse at 60mph on the freeway

god dam nissan CVTs I has to replace mine under warranty 3 times before 90k. Every time the bill given to me by the dealer was $3,999. So literally half the price of that car was done on warranty work in just the transmission. And I'm not even accounting for the rest of the work they had done in between (subframe, radiator, evaporator, spark plugs and rack and pinion, tpms sensors). By 95k miles I practically had a new car in parts. Thou the engine was great.

Said goodbye to that and got into a honda civic. Now I wonder WTF is going to fo wrong with it

t. 'I know more than the highest caliber of automotive engineers in the business'

crows foot

>don't be a retard
>never have this problem

>Don't be a retard
>Buying an automatic transmission vehicle

I'm afraid these two statements contradict.

Has anyone talked about Audi 8+cyl timing on things like the RS6 yet?

Few years ago I was looking for a cheap econobox to DD a couple miles a day. Looked at Sentras but noticed nearly all the Sentras I looked at had less than 40k miles. I looked online and there were hundreds of sentras that had less than 40k miles and only a few that had over 50k miles. Thats when I learned about Nissans CVT. Im very surprised they havent been taken to court.

They extended the warranty for the transmission only from 60k to 100k because people began to complain about it. That's how I got it replaced at 88k miles under warranty.

I'll never going to get a Nissan again

nope
feel free to tell us

It's hilarious that their most exciting engine ended up in a 50-60K Mustang.

But remember the Ford GT wasn't about the street car. It was all about getting an ecoboost Le Mans class victory. They designed it for LMGT Pro first, then tweaked as minimally as possible to make it street legal. The 3.5 V6 allowed them the tightest package to fight right where it does.

Usually plastic is weight/cost and is usually durable enough to withstand the given application.
Rubber is used wherever there may need to be flex for the sake of comfort or reliability. EG hoses on the engine may need to flex as they go elsewhere on the car, bushings in suspension are rubber so they can give a little but not much, enough to take the edge off of certain parts while the gas shocks do the majority of the work.

>lockouts

God damn that is a ridiculous design.

>Ferd
>Highest caliber of automotive engineers

Choose one.

the springs aren't the worst part

>let's put the engine halfway under the dash

how to fuck up your cowl rubber thing with chains in one easy step.jpg

u r lucky this didnt break off.. 99+ series 2 got the revision.. with plastic elbows of course.. 3800 engines besides the plastic coolant elbows and plastic intake gaskets arent all that bad.. be punctual on p/s and coolant fluid intervals and they arent any worse than an avg engine

>tfw ran my 3800 series 2 with no fans or coolant for so long that when I checked my fluids there was just oily mud in the hoses
it still runs fine after flushing it, oddly enough

You can't kill those engines. They refuse to give up.

engine comes out from the bottom

Nothing will happen if you accidentally put it in reverse on the freeway.

Ford reinventing the spark plug in 5.4, Power stroke 6.0 pure total trash.

truth.. its the trans thats the actual garbage

the 4 speed auto is the same one they hooked up to the LT1 and LS1 models, tho

as far as 3800'd f-bodies go, i mean

How can we say we live in a modern age when our best solution to holding on plastic is to use these fucking plastic fasteners that will shear off when you try to undo them.

And I go to the fucking store or autozone to find replacements and they have them in every size except the size I need.

Jesus fuck, how the hell can someone get away with this?

fucking krauts, man

Tagesdosis

That's standard stuff.
Chevy, Nissan, Toyota, and probably more all do it.

I bought a bag of 20 for $1 from china, do the same and just fuck the old ones up without a care

tasty

I managed to blow one up actually. Never really found out what gave first but a connecting rod ended up hitting a hole 5 inches in diameter in the block.

home improvement stores have them over by the machine screws and stuff if you wanna check that out too

Must be a 3800? If thats yours, replace those coolant elbows with the metal ones.

>Designing cars for a specific environment.
That's shit engineering desu.

A street version with a twin turbo voodoo would have been amazing.

To be fair, the LS400's with this problem are also like a bajillion years old. So the engineers didn't develop a brand new type of rubber material that could last 20+ years in a hot engine bay without getting hard and leaky... That's kind of a stupid complaint.