It's illegal in most states to have a light bar

>it's illegal in most states to have a light bar

>but totally legal to have a 2018 boomer/mommy crossover with 8 built-in 20,000 lumen high beams

???

One had to be certified to FMVSS; the other doesn't.

Factory LED lights are supposed to have a cutoff and are supposed to be properly aimed from the factory. Though a lot aren't, I'm talking about you Acura. Most dudes with Rigids just eyeball the angle and tack weld the mounting bolts down.

I've never been blinded by a light bar they always turn them off like high beams but those FUCKING new cars I'm always just closing my eyes letting Jesus take the wheel

Where the fuck is it illegal to have light bars? I got 2 of them and I've never had any issues.

>I've never been blinded by a light bar they always turn them off like high beams

where in the hell do you live? Here no one turns off shit, high beams or otherwise

Lol my hids are bright as fuck i always have to double blind people by hitting my brights when they try and flash me

a guy said he gets 17.5mpg without a lightbar on his jeep and then 15mpg with a lightbar. so i did the math and at $3/gal it will cost him $3000 to push that lightbar 100,000miles

I bet it's the extra weight of the dudes he picked up with that lightbar. You gotta pay to play.

I can't imagine

>Where the fuck is it illegal to have light bars?
They won't be banned per se but they likely won't meet the standards of mounting, aiming, pattern, and intensity set forth in motor vehicle codes. You'd have to look it up to see if they would be illegal in your state.

it'd be drag more than anything, that fat light bar on his jeep will affect airflow and create drag.

Literally everything is legal in maine so this thread doesn't apply to me

After some more thought, you're probably right, but would a small bar like that really affect gas mileage that much? I understand aerodynamics is important in fuel economy, but god damn.

I have mine mounted in the most /diy/ clusterfuck way, and have them aimed practically straight ahead, and I'e never had issues. Then again, I rarely drive with them on unless its an empty road or I'm offroading. I think if you keep them off, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who cared about the specifics.

>Maine 1909-B Subsection 4
>4. Brightness. An auxiliary light may not emit a beam that is brighter than, has a greater candlepower than or distracts from the visibility of standard lighting equipment required by this Title or by the inspection rules adopted by the Chief of the State Police pursuant to section 1769.
So any auxiliary light can't be brighter than the headlights.

most likely. thats why I haven't touched the exterior of my car and custom made things to fit inside factory pieces so that my fuel economy isn't effected.

I highly doubt it. A jeep is nothing if not a fridge, aero wise.
I got a 1 - 1 1/2MPG drop in my NA miata with the top down, 40% freeway 60% urban.

oh so on a new car with 100,000,000 candles worth of light are ok

It's legal to have halogen auxiliaries where I am, but illegal to have LED's because the city council here is full of boombers with cataracts

according to my calculation then, you should only have to pay $1,500 to $1,750 in fuel for the lightbar for the next 100,000 miles

^^^
wait.. no, bad math
i retract my statement

One is (usually) not approved in any way and has no certification marks
One is factory-tested and approved

Here in Europe you can get ones that are approved and can be legally put on, but you need to have two of them, plus the combined lux of your original headlights & 2 extra lights at a certain range cannot exceed a certain value

>tfw im sure stuff is probably illegal but no one gives a fuck so you can drive straight pipe vee ates with a billion offroad lights and fuck heug tires with no mudflaps.

THANKS MONTANA