Any tips?

Thinking about buying an a70 supra. Any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cfH0mcYJW8E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

rust, headgaskets,turbo,chassis,previous accidents,other damage in that order

Try not to get mad when the Mk.4 Supra guys laugh at you.

Oh I won't haha, I love the mk4 believe me mainly just too expensive,

Already prepared to deal with rust, plan on replacing the head gasket and bolts if I get one, not too worried about poor aftermarket choice as there isn't a huge aftermarket compared to other Japanese cars of the era, main worry is that the car would be owned by some pleb that drove it as a beater.

I think in a way the mk3 is cooler cuz it’s still kind of under the radar.

Then you think correctly haha, they sell for dirt cheap too, only a few hundred bucks for parts for the head gasket. If I do plan on getting one I really hope I'll be able to find a decent one before they appreciate in value

>Mk.4 Supra guys laugh at you.
Those guys are as bad as lotus elise owners. They act like they have an exotic lmao

Try to get a hardtop model 1989 and newer. You'll save yourself a lot of pain that way.

Look out for decomposing tail light gaskets. Mine are almost completely gone, and they leak water into the trunk. Have to deal with a little cancer spot now.

I used to have one,

Get a new metal headgasket, ARP studs, water pump and set of belts.

The electric arieal tends to short out the circuit for the radio leaving it on when the accessory switch is off, if you have a battery drain problem then taking out fuse 20 from the engine fusebox will solve this problem.

There is rarely any rust on the chassis sills and front strut top towers, if there is rust there then there is 100% a shitload everywhere else and you should walk away.

If there is rust on the rear arches it is too far gone for welding and you need a new arch (hard to find, though MK2 Ford Fiesta arches will fit), there's also probably a fuckload on the inner wing by now that may be terminal.

The spoiler may leak water into the boot

The car will probably feel quite loose and disconnected, it's a heavy GT but it's really not meant to be like this and chances are the rubber bushings and probably the suspension is fucked by now. Replacing the bushings with PU is an absolute mother of a job thanks to the ridiculously complex suspension. budget 1k or more if you aren't confident in doing this yourself and don't have 3 weeks to keep the thing off the road.

Don't get an aero whatever you do, or a 1G. 89+ is so much better that it's basically a different car

Front plastic splitters are the most impossible thing to find in the world unless you want to get a ricetastic thing from shineauto. Centre caps for the factory 5 spokes are also impossible.

Tuning a 7M requires a lot of ingenuity, custom parts and rigging pieces from other cars and is nothing like tuning a 1/2JZ or SR/CA type motor where you buy performance parts and attach them, even guys who have 500-600 horsepower have shit like 1UZ air flow meters and electric radiator fans co opted from Ford Mondeos.

Do a hard acceleration in first from 1500-2000 RPM. The car might pop out of gear, if this happens then the thrust washer is done. (1/2)

(2/2)

If the gear lever feels sloppy then you need a new shifter bushing, this is a bit of a pain in the ass. The R154 should feel a bit truck like though and is a very strong gearbox. It won't let you shift into 1st while moving unless you really push it hard and if the owner is doing this then the thing is most likely a bit fucked.

The clunking noise you hear is probably the LSD which needs new fluid/ backlash setting or a rebuild. If you don't have a clunking noise and it's a turbo then the car has been well cared for since all turbos came with LSDs.

These are great cars and I wish I hadn't sold mine but they are quite a bit more work than other japanese sports cars and as much as I miss my old turbo the thought of buying another makes me curl up. That being said, I do plan for another one a few years into the future and it's defnitely a car worth owning for the interior alone.

oh and get used to not being able to park in car parks and having to origami in and out thanks to thos gigantic doors

Really in depth, senpai. I learned a lot and I've owned mine for a year already. Thanks.

i have a MS135 Crown with the same drivetrain as MA70 Supra, do the headgasket and get aftermarket headbolts and torque the head to new spec. my headgasket started to go at 80k km when i went past 140kmh, they almost always go by 120k km

im going to get flamed to hell for this but MK4 Supra are complete shit unless you get a 6spd twin turbo, NA 2JZ VVTi engines are complete junk. my girlfriend had a 1998 Toyota Aristo NA and that engine was one fucking problem after another that i was fixing it more than it was driven. hell my 1979 Toyota Supra is more reliable than a NA MKIV

despite nobody else liking them i love 7MGE, theyre balls easy to work on and once you change the headgasket theyre bulletproof.

damn thank you for the detailed advice, i'm actually going to screenshot this so i can reference back on it if and/or when i decide on getting one :)

hahaha

Fuuuuuck thank you so much user. I was wondering why so many Supras I inspected to buy were completely rusted at the trunk

thank you for the advice, i didnt plan on buying any earlier than '88 also i dont care much for the targa top desu. damn, sorry to hear about your tail-lights

I'm lucky to be in California, which is why the car has no rust anywhere else. I've read about some ways of making your own gaskets for them. Getting new ones costs about 70 bucks, and I'm not spending that on 25 y/o pieces of foam rubber.

Buy a turbo model hard top. I used to have an na hard top but sold it once I bought a targa turbo. Don’t drive much with the top down. Way to much attention. And the windshield flexes a lot when it’s down too. Better to just buy a hard top.

Exactly same situation. I live in a rather dry and hot climate, so neither me or the various sellers I met could understand why the rust came back everytime. You truly enlightened me.

I know that head gaskets are a big problem with the mk3 but if a head gasket is blown is that a no go?
does that mean lots of other things are broken?

They blow because they were improperly torqued at factory.
If it’s properly blown you need to replace anything cooking related and rebuild the engine
Better to drop a 1jz

Cooling related

>tfw I can't drive an A70 Supra through winding roads in the south of France.

Do it for me, user. I beg of you.

You speak the truth friend, 7M is not bad at all but it's gone down in a spiral of memes. I don't think the MK4 even looks that great but thats subjective. The NA 2JZ is a shit engine for that chassis, it works "fine" for something lighter like a IS300 but not the MK4.

>>tfw I can't drive an A70 Supra through winding roads in the south of France.
very few are the ones who can. Last Supra I went to see was a black targa turbo and goddamnit this is what we're reduced to search for, it had:
>scrapped underbody from a previous owner Nakazato'ing it into a bench
>the entire spare wheel well rusted out
>an headgasket that blew right during the test drive
>destroyed pedal linkage, so they stuck to the floor once pressed
>a front suspension arm destroyed
>leaky drained front breaks
>no intercooler and a brand new turbo with no wastegate or pressure adjustment so the pressure was retarded high
But I'm still searching

oh by the way, maybe you'll enjoy seeing some of our local rally:
youtube.com/watch?v=cfH0mcYJW8E

Good info user