This passes for a road where I live

It's been this way for a month.

>No one needs a crossover
>Just put some Blizzaks on your 3K civic

Fools.

No one needs a crossover.
Buy something on a truck chassis honky

That's not even a no maintenance road you pussy. I used to go up and down roads like that in a cobalt with all terrains in the ice and mud all the time. Quit being a pussy and learn how to accelerate through trouble.

Mate, that road is going to be complete and utter shit to drive through no matter what type of vehicle you're in. I had never off-roaded before in any capacity and went down a very very very mild dirt path in pic related and the ride quality was awful. But yeah it didn't get stuck

Buy something that costs 25% more! Cool!
Damn straight. This is what passes for a medium traffic residential road after no snow. Powering through a residential area is a great idea. No ill can come of it.

Why are you complaining? If you don't like it, move.

>This passes as a road

That is because it is.

They dont have scrapes where you're at? Shit

This has been scrapped. Only the main streets gets scrapped to the pavement. They also don't plow on the weekends so I've had to go through 20CM snow in order to get to the highway before. The turn onto said highway involves going over plow debris.
I get paid well to live up here. Just explaining why some people really do have a use for a crossover. I've seen that ice do real damage to the underside of cars.

Ah, so its the result of shit winter maintenance? That sucks

We get pretty solid winters here too, but thankfully the infrastructure & routines regarding the winter time roads is functioning really well

The average north american city has more road surface than all of your country combined. It's almost impossible to clear every single street to the pavement when you get 2 feet of snow overnight.

Well sure; bigger place, more people. If so you would also assume that there would be more people & companies doing cleanup and plowing

Lets do a little math, you actually got me curious as to how many miles of roads we have in comparison to population and such

Norway: 58 000 miles of public accessible roads
US: 4.09 million miles of public accessible roads
Norway population: 5 000 000
US: 323 million
Norway area; 148,728 sq mi
US area; 3,796,742 sq mi

Population difference; US has 64.6 times the population of Norway
Area: US has 25.5 times the area of Norway
Roads: US has 70.5 times the roads of Norway

US has 78.9 people per mile of road
Norway has 86.2 people per mile of road

So its not an insanely huge difference nationally. We could also take into account the population densities (90.6 people per square mile for the US, 40.9 for Norway) and that most of Norway gets heavier/longer winters than most of the US, but then we're treading into the area where the causations & correlations are harder to calculate

How common is it for a private company to do plowing/removal? Here everybody with a tractor or anything bigger does that type of work in the winter, both as full-time and on the side next to their dayjobs

>ride quality was awful offroad
toyotacucks get dumber every day

>How common is it for a private company to do plowing/removal?

Almost every landscaping company does snow removal in winter. They still only do private property and don't clear city streets. We just got an almost 2 foot dumping and there's just not enough room to pile up that snow in the neighbourhoods and side streets. So you have to deal with the death ruts until the snow melts enough or until they load the snow piles up into dump trucks and take it away.

No one needs a crossover.
You need winter tires, sometimes chains, and if you want to drive through unplowed snow, then maybe AWD.

Tractors with snowblowers is not a thing? Thats how they get around most of the "where do we put the snow"-issue here as the snow gets piled in peoples yards or just in the ditch. Inside city centers it gets piled up in huge piles, which are then removed throughout the day/week when they start getting too big. Waiting for the stuff to melt is not an option, with an annual snowfall of about 21 feet & the temperature being constantly below freezing from early November to early April (and the night time below-freezing doesn't stop until late May)

They let the road narrow. Twice a winter or so the town comes in with heavy equipment to widen the road. They fill up trucks with snow and take them to the snow dump. We use the snow dump as the location for snowmobile races.

It's all fun and games until a chunk of ice goes through the plastic on the underside of your car. I haven't confirmed it, but I heard the lowest point on the current WRX is the fucking turbo.

We got fuck-all roads that can even be narrowed. If so you'd make every road a one-way, which I guess is also a reason why plows such as can't really be used commercially here as they dont have the plow or the speed to fling the snow high and far enough

You got us beat at snowmobile stuff tho - this is the first winter where snowmobiles were actually legal to use recreationally here in Norway, as each municipiality can now draw up & open their own designated trails

No you stupid fucking faggot nigger.
Have you ever looked up the definition of a fucking crossover?
What you are literally describing is the need for a SUV.
All a crossover is going to be is the low and weak of a car, combined with the weight, slowness, and roughness of a SUV. It's fucking stupid and you're fucking stupid. It's a normal car for people who are retarded and think they need a car that's "special" for when they take 100% paved roads to their annual camping trip.

Suck our dicks, Calgary! Edmonton only got like 20cm!

Open roads like that are easy to clear. OP's pic is a neighbourhood side road. You can't just take a blower in there and randomly start burying people's shit in snow. You have to have a convoy of dump trucks to take it away which takes time and money which eats away at the pride sidewalk crossing budget.

I drive a 2600lb tin can of a wagon and some chunks physically move my foot up as I go over them. It feels like they're going to come up through the floorboards. Thankfully I don't got too many dangly bits to rip off.

No problem, for my bike.

Post a picture of a crossover you'd prefer to drive on that road.

8.6 inches of clearance and a decent AWD system.

Most of those aren't even close to 8.6 inches. The only way you'd get close to that is with the biggest tire package available even then your control arms are still lower than that and will be the first to get hung up.

Its just a nice illustration photo

I'll quote ; " Inside city centers it gets piled up in huge piles, which are then removed throughout the day/week when they start getting too big"

>Self driving electric car blows a tire
>No steering wheel
>AI sticks itself in the center of the road
>Have to sit and wait for uber to rescue you in the middle of bumblefuck
>Get hit by Cleetus self driving brodozer, because the front sensor has dirt on it

mmmm'progress tho.

Hurp derp I can ignore crossovers that have actual ground clearance.

That's more of a SUV.
They can call it what they want, but just look at the thing.

Spec for a Crosstrek is that for all wheel packages. Most hatchbacks are now between 5 and 6 inches... Unloaded.

But in a neighbourhood there's nowhere to pile snow mountains up. Houses are packed tight especially in newer neighbourhoods. Couple that with fucking idiots that street park when they have a 2 car garage and you really have no room.
That's why I don't trust current sensor based "self driving" cars. Backup sensors and cameras are constantly not working in winter because they're completely covered. Even in summer they get covered in bugs and shit.
A crosstrek is not even remotely close to a SUV. It's a lifted hatchback. As for clearance I've parked beside lots and looked under lots and while the rocker panel clearance might be 8 inches or whatever there's a bunch of shit hanging that would get destroyed if you fall into some ice ruts. Your control arms are also really exposed and they're not exactly robust on a car. Even in a big crossover you have to be careful.

>noone needs a crossover
Correct

comfy quads

I drive through shit like that every day in my fwd french minivan. Literally don't need anything but studded tires.

>that passes for good clearance in ad 2018

Frogs actually built a minivan specifically to handle this kind of shit

I almost impulse bought an offroad version of Berlingo once.

I've grown to appreciate these as I age desu. Way ahead of their time.

They're honestly cool as fuck, with extra ground clearance and actually pretty competent AWD to back up the looks. More crossovers should follow its example desu

looks like the shit i drive my sanic with all seasons on all the fukkin time

GIT GUD RETRD

Aha

We typically do something like this. For tigther spots you essentially replace it with a tractor & a tractor with a trailer

Why don't they just heat it up and melt the snew

It'd melt down into water and freeze into a solid sheet of ice.

Because that would require a shit ton of fuel.

Because to do that you'd have to gather it up into huge piles, and when you do that you might aswell already load into a truck

Also; snow doesn't really melt all that quickly unless you somehow heat it all up at once instead of just starting from the outside

Its just quicker and easier to remove it

Also

This was just posted to a jewbook group I hang around at

Maybe this one would solve your issues

Pleb

>7" rocker panels

That is lower than a Geo tracker rear differential (at 8" it is the lowest part on that car) and those carry babby 205/70R15 tires. A 26" tire.

>Be auto enthusiast
>live anywhere that snows
I will never understand why people do this to themselves

Assblasted: The post!

Every time I see this I get fooled by you, Benzy.
It looks exactly like a place a couple of miles away from where I grew up.

Stop living in the middle of nowhere if you can't deal with shitty roads.

>be human life quality enthusiast
>live anywhere that's a sweatbox full of mosquitos, brownskins and bums

I'll take it over destroying my car.

Even if you're a puss anything with AWD will do, doesn't have to be a crossover. If you're not, you'll do it easily in your 3k civic on blizzaks.

Even this one doesn't really melt snow/ice as much as it forcibly blows it away.

I figured it out! Veeky Forums hates crossovers because they don't know what they are!

SUVs are built on a frame like a truck while crossovers have a unibody like a car. That's it. That's the definition.

Bunch of mental midgets here have decided that anything they don't like is a crossover and anything they do is a SUV.

correct
>Just put some Blizzaks on your 3K civic
1.4k civic on basic bitch all seasons

classic case of stop being a pussy

>oregon
>real winter

Pick one.

i never said we had real winter
it has snowed 3 times this year
all in february

Yeah, that's snow/slush. The OP's pick is rutted ice.

ops pic is easier to drive on if you aren't an idiot

stop taking photos every 500 meters

but all the snow was melted later that day and its not gonna snow till next year

Unless your wheel goes into a rut, causing your car to bottom out and tear off lose bits. Or if you need to go up a steep incline.