Anyone here taking the plunge into becoming a vlogger on Automotive Jewtube?

Anyone here taking the plunge into becoming a vlogger on Automotive Jewtube?

Is it still possible to become e-famous and get free swag for shilling? Or are the Wild West days over and those who made it made it and everyone else is too late?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0iE35Xqzj7A
allpar.com/cars/plymouth/duster.html
melmagazine.com/models-motors-and-mud-23324d1530c1?gi=45fc250c7d27
youtube.com/watch?v=gcGcatkACj4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

RCR proved that you can still make it, but you have to put in a modicum of effort into production values have content that stands out from all the "Talking to a GoPro on the dash, 5 things I love/hate about my car" drivel that's out there.
You also need to network with other more established vloggers so you get cross traffic.
If you break it down into dollars/hour worked, shilling yourself on social media pays about as Starbucks and you HAVE to rely on sponsors and crowdfund gibs to do it full time.

RCR was great until it passed the intersectional graph point of peak navel gazing philosophical wank + popularity to the point where people with super cars would beg him to do a video on their rides.

Me, I just wanna lift a miata and go hooning around a field after sawzalling the bodywork off and making it into a kart, convert a 440 from a motorhome to run on PROPANE AND PROPANE ACCESSORIES, build an electric dunebuggy with a junkyard Nissan Leaf powertrain, maybe buy a beat up truck off govt liquidation and have it explode halfway home.

I've been posting little Snapchat videos while working on stuff for the past year, I get a few hundred views every time. The latest update made it unusable so I'm gonna start making actual videos on YouTube. Im pretty much what would happen if you threw /diy/, AvE, Roadkill, and early RCR in a blender, then strapped the fleshy pulp leftovers into a clockwork orange style rig and made it watch RedLetterMedia's entire upload history.

I

I tried and failed, and it hurts my soul to see people still commenting occasionally about how they want me to come back. My videos were crap, I'll admit, but the 3.5k~ subs (and probably only 350 actual dedicated "fans" and the 2 videos that front-paged on Carthrottle (before Carthrottle became shit) were cool to have.

I just lacked the dedication (read: 12-14 hours to create a single 5-10min video) and decided it was better to work a "real" job and focus on career things.

What kinda vids were you making?

If you've got the time* and the disposable income go for it, but it'll be at least a few years until you're not sinking your own money into it. Like I said the big thing is schmoozing up to all the established YouTube guys to get traffic for your page and constantly/aggressively self-promoting.
>*Money aside, producing worthwhile video content is a MASSIVE time sink. Be prepared to lose all your free time to shooting and editing. 1 minute of finished footage is about 1-2 hours of work.
>t. former post-production supervisor.

I've thought about making a channel that's about all the wacky adventures I take my shitty cars on (ex. in April I'm going to be taking a $1500 Hyundai all the way up the Al-Can to work as a raft guide for the summer). It would be somewhere between a /trv/ and an Veeky Forums channel and wouldn't exclusively focus on cars but they'd be a big part of it.
However I have no illusions about becoming internet famous doing it and don't want it to become an unpaid second job.

Oh I'm going to be self funding the whole thing to the end. maybe I'll sell some meth or something, but I'm not gonna be a whore. I figure the best payout will be maybe some free amsoil (they're looking for car youtubers) and possibly some good deals hooked up thanks to a fan knowing what I'm looking for. I'm already trying to persuade a cheap Porsche Cayenne turbo out of someone because they used it as a parts donor for all the doors and body panels, and I'm going at it from the angle of "I'm not a flipper, I want to put jeep style tube doors on it and have it be a summer car and document the whole process for youtube so I can one-up Hoovies Garage on their cheapest Porsche turbo"

MERCH. MERCH.

Not meth!

See, there's not enough of this. Editing does take up a lot of time but I found that if you practice with Snapchat video updates to your story, you get in the habit of a tight videoing style that is already halfway through the editing process by the time you load in the raw video.
Only problem is I can't use my big archive of saved Snapchat story videos because... vertical video is great for mobile and Snapchat viewers, cancer for everyone else.

C'mon, we all know you meant meth.
Anyway, if you're willing to foot the bill then all you have to worry about is the grueling production schedule and constantly whoring yourself across the internet.
If you can keep up with it, more power to ya.

>mfw "maybe I'll sell some meth or something, but I'm not gonna be a whore." is gonna be the one quote everyone ascribes to me if I ever make it

I think if you really want to do this, contact a couple established YouTubers and bounce the idea off of them. Most of them are pretty approachable guys and will be honest about what it takes to make this happen.
Mr. Regular is a straight up bro and hasn't sugar-coated how hard running a tube can be.
It'll also a good way to put yourself on their radar for trading traffic in the future.

That's actually a funny idea.
The reason RCR took off is kind of the same reason Top Gear took off.
1) It's funny in unexpected ways.
2) It's easy for non-car people to understand.
The fact that Mr. Regular isn't a mechanic, engineer or racing driver is what makes his channel so approachable for casual car enthusiasts, he doesn't talk over the audience's head like a lot of car guys do.

Fuck it, you've got my confidence all built up so here's some shilling.
(I had to select sidewalks for captxha again hope I did it fast enough before some driverless car did a truck of peace impression)
1972 Duster Thruster: Episode 1
youtu.be/0iE35Xqzj7A

what have i done

I thought about making a unique "car history" channel. It's exactly what it sounds like.

My videos would be something like this...
>I pick a vehicle I want to review
>I give a not-so-mundane history lesson on said vehicle with animated illustrations
>Add some comedy with it, but not like RCR with his juvenile cum jokes and toilet humor that normies think is the funniest thing ever

Sort of like a video essay for a car.

My only issue is i'm a noob at adobe editing software, and I want to make top notch quality videos. So that's gonna take some time.
I originally wanted to be a car reviewer, but everyone and their mother is doing that so I'd said fuck it, might as well do something else.

fuck off

I think I'm going to move in next to the sticker salesmen :^)

There's a lot of little known history about cars that's kinda interesting. You could keep it to 60 or 120 second bite size videos about some of the history behind a certain car.

For example, the history behind my duster is actually interesting. Bunch of guys just trying to do their jobs and being given impossible tasks like designing new curved roll up windows and doing it just to fill a slot on the production line. If I were RCR i could turn that into commentary on the Sisyphean human condition.

allpar.com/cars/plymouth/duster.html

I think the only way I could make it work is to do one big video every few weeks interspersed with short updates in between, but there's no way I'd want to crank out a 15 minute video once a week, every week.

Just remember that you don't have a farm of Chinese video editors working off a best practices style guide and terabytes of raw video, so you don't have to hold yourself to the same standards as some big channels who I guarantee use that method or something close to it.

then youtube is not gonna pan out for you very well, you gotta build up to it

I know, that's why I'm not going to do it.
I don't want to take on a second job that I won't get paid for.

we should have a group channel for Veeky Forums so that way people who only want to make one or two videos on something they care about, still get to an audience

This is why ill never buy amsoil. Everything I have ever seen or read about them has been some paid shilling. They lack any credibility whatsoever.

This is actually a good point. I would never use a product anyone gave me to shill on YouTube, because I'm a fucking asshole who shouldn't be trusted with duplo blocks let alone motor vehicles and a harbor freight welder.

...I'll probably just resell all my free amsoilb on Craigslist.

>allpar.com/cars/plymouth/duster.html
Ah thanks. That was a great read.

I'm in the process of making a history lesson about Ford's popular pickup and how it all started.

Post your channels so I can watch them. I can put the good ones on a website list that gets 100ish views a day which may help you get started. I'm not posting up your hot turds though.

What's the website?

Also I've been reading up on how much money the websites that show girls cars stuck off-road in the mud make, might produce some content like that

melmagazine.com/models-motors-and-mud-23324d1530c1?gi=45fc250c7d27

I'm a little confused though, they have a 1966 duster sport concept but apparently the duster was designed really fast and immediately produced in 1970ish?

Its called Passionfed. It's unfinished but some of the lists get decent views already. Kind of like a directory for your interests

The thing you've got to think about is SEO. It's the single most difficult part about running a website

I've wanted to go into business factory restoring/unricing/refurbishing cars that would be considered "rare"/valuable, either because ricers, drift kiddies or dragfaggots cut up and crashed them all or because very few were sold. Not like Wheeler Dealers who only fix a few things, but a full teardown and factory rebuild. I'd probably have to start with cheap "hidden gems" or cars that are just now starting to go up in value as its competitors are becoming extinct too quickly. On top of obvious choices for drift and stancefag cars I'd love to do old trucks, SUVs, offroaders, luxury cars, sport trims of throwaway shitboxes like the first gen Neon R/T, and cool one-off trims of cars like the Corolla All-Trac. Anything that Veeky Forumstists would drool over. My ultimate fantasy would be to inspire other people to do the same and make these cars accessible to people again by finding all the salvageable cars before they're all gone and pumping them out as basically factory examples into the market and hopefully driving the value down. Something like a manual Turbo A80 should not be worth anywhere near $30,000 and I'd hope to see that reflected in reality in my lifetime.

I'd think the only way I could make any kind of real money doing this would be to vlog the entire process and hopefully get YouTube and/or Patreon money. The problem is since I'm not doing any of the mainstream things that made these cars so valuable in the first place I doubt I'd get much viewership or support outside of literal nocar Veeky Forums browsers. I've also only rebuilt one car anywhere near that in depth before and have no idea how to use a computer or camera let alone structure a video series like this in an appealing way. I'd maybe hope the amateurishness and passion I'd have for doing it amidst the inexperience would be enough to get some viewers to get off the ground. Maybe one day I'll have to motivation to commit to attempting something like that.

> I've also only rebuilt one car anywhere near that in depth before and have no idea how to use a computer or camera let alone structure a video series like this in an appealing way. I'd maybe hope the amateurishness and passion I'd have for doing it amidst the inexperience would be enough to get some viewers to get off the ground.
look at the series "soup"
there are some side projects of the guy's I don't care much for, but watching him take apart/restore these cars, especially with the camera style, is great. plus I think he has a lot of the same appeal you're shooting for as far as amateur/passion combo

>The problem is since I'm not doing any of the mainstream things that made these cars so valuable in the first place

DESU that would make your videos more interesting. Everyone is doing the usual things to their cars, but for example, turning a miata (or vette) into a Kart is unusual and interesting and there aren't enough vids about it

God damnit gookmoot it's the CURRENT YEAR already why can't we say t b h

f a m

There's a way to do it with alt codes or some shit. It's a gay rule though

Bump

low-quality RCR knockoffs with less writing skill, humor, and less interesting cars.

RCR took off because his Miata video was written about in a Jalopnik article.

wow dude thats like a cheap RCR chinese copy.

get gud

youtube.com/watch?v=gcGcatkACj4

>that whole channel

This is why Europeans can't be car guys.

drop the pretense of imitation and I'd watch it. I love finding small project channels

Just for you I'm going to do a full length RCR clone episode on the duster once I get it road legal again

Then I'm going to turn around and hire a Doug DeMuro impersonator (his doppelgänger is my Faceberg friend) to imitate him for a Doug video, also on the duster

Then I'll go down to Florida and find a small and fast talking Italian man to do a superspeeders rob video also on the duster

you'll think I'm done, that the well is dry, that there is nothing more I can parody, but you'll be wrong because I live close to Atlanta and I'm a shrewd negotiator, so the next video will be Ed Bolian talking about the duster

Hey that channels pretty alright. Just watched the turbo charger one. pretty guud

this is trying to hard to remind me that i browsed Veeky Forums in 2006

>I SAW A MUDKIPZ AND I CLAPPED
>I CLAPPED BECAUSE I RECOGNIZED SOMETHING
>REMEMBER FEELS GUY!?