Lookin for a truck

Another one of those help-me-pick-a-car-I'm-a-retard threads. So far, I've narrowed my choices down to a 1st or 2nd gen 4runner, a 1st gen Tacoma, or a Mazda b3000/b4000 if I can ever find a fucking 4x4 one. Which should I pick Veeky Forums? If you can think of anything better, my only criteria is something that can handle some moderate trail terrain (not like hardcore rock crawling bs just a bit of romping), handle snow with ease, preferably a pickup but not full-size, and I want enough room to be able to set up a camper shell and camp in the back fairly comfortably.

PS it would be way smaller than what I actually want, but I found a craigslist ad for a Subaru Brat and it's in great condish with 141k on the odometer and I've been semi-seriously considering that also, because muh MPGs and muh bank account. But I cant tell if I'm seriously into the brat or if I'm just into it for the novelty value

All those toys need to be checked for frame rust and they need the timing chains replaced in a very timely fashion.

where do you live?

i used to have a old Hilux, IIRC it was 1984 and 1985 that you could get 22RE EFi engine with solid front and rear axle. if you could find one of those years go for it

Colorado

Mazda b2600i
The "i' is the important bit.
Great truck

Those things are so rare and usually already raped by rust and/or off roaders. I might like them the best tho.

DUDE

1st or 2nd gen 4runners will be old and will def need maintenance even if its a TOYOTA. the 3.0 engine has head gasket problems. I think that's about as far as "common problems" go for those old 4runners. Why aren't you considering a 3rd gen?

Tacomas will have probably have the higher Toyota tax. I don't know enough about the Mazdas other than them being anemic.

What's your budget? oh and how tall are you, how many passengers will you be carrying?

d21

Plz no time bombs

yee I dig it, I'll check CL
You a Radotard too? hell yea. God tier state apart from all the idiots clogging up our roads that moved here from out of state. I'm trying to move to Durango after I'm done w all the stuff im currently wrapped up in on the front range. Lived in Leadville for a few years and I miss the mountains. Maybe Idaho or Montana after that.
I'm looking to spend less than 7k definitely but between 3 and 5 grand is ideal. Passengers on average is just me and gf, so I dolphinately wouldnt mind a 2 seater w some jumper seats in the event homies are tagging along

1st gen 4Runner/Surf is goat tier, behind only the original land cruiser.

OP again. I think the late models (gen 3 and up) are sorta ugly. I realize the older ones are going to require some TLC for sure, thats part of the appeal/fun though for me.

>Mazda b3000/b4000

And why not the ranger? It's the same exact thing but you'll have more parts available and cheaper.

Durango is so nice, great part of the state. Front range sucks now, graduated from Coronado in CS, it was crowded then and a nightmare now.

Older ones dont require a lot of maintence as long as it isnt beat to shit.

I got with only 68k miles and its been no maintence at all other than oil changes. Granted its a 2LT not a 22RE engine, but the 2LT's arent considered to be as reliable as a 22RE.

>people hating on toyota reliability with engines with 300k plus miles

They use the same parts. At the same price.

I had one and it was so fucking comfy. Even though it's been years since it got stolen, I still miss having it.

I still have one. It is max comfy and has never failed me.

I've def been looking at Rangers too, my buddy in HS had one and it gave him way less problems than I thought a ford would. I just feel like ford has the shittiest reputation for reliability but price wise I'm definitely liking what I see with them or the Mazdas.

Exactly so why not even consider?

Yeah I've stumbled across a few first gens with odometers under 150k and that's what I'm keeping my eyes peeled for, I've seen a 4runner with 700k on it still running strong. Do you think one with a rebuilt motor would be sketchier?

Family owned 2 4runners, you don't get to 300k without "basic maintenance" that turns out to be more expensive than expected. You'll need 2 timing jobs if you follow the recommended changes for instance. Toyotas are nice, but to think they don't need anything to get to high mileage is disingenuous, at best.

You should "dolphinately" consider a first Gen Tundra as long as the frame is in good condition or it was swapped under the recall.

I am 6'3 and I find my friend's 3rd gen 4runner a bit too cramped, while my 01 Tundra is fucking roomy and comfy. If you don't have kids, the extended cab will be enough for storage, and for the occasional friend that isn't over 6'3 it should be PASSABLE for short trips

Other than the frame issue (mine was sprayed at the dealer with the rubber coating or w/e and undercoated every other year) it's absolutely problem free. Handles great in the snow, the engine is definitely a lot less overworked than my friend's 4runner when we drive through mountainous terrain, and the larger bed = bigger camper shell and more comfy). And here in leafland the Toyota tax seems smaller in the Tundra than Tacomas

Of course, the eem pee gees will be worse than a 4runner but not by much (2-3 mpg IIRC). OEM parts for them are fairly expensive. That's all I can think of

I live near downtown and the traffic is fucking outrageous and I'd say maybe 1 in 35 people I meet these days is actually from CO. The funniest shit is the people that call themselves "locals, because I've been here for 3 years brooo". I miss the old cowtown days. Dang legalized piff

Wait you're complaining about doing routine maintenance? People actually complain about shit like that?

All depends on who built it. Also in my area first gen 4runners bring a fucking premium for some reason.

Yeah the 4runners and tacos around here are apparently super sought-after and people are charging like 6 or 7k for a truck that might be leaking every concieveable fluid and misfiring because some idiot will definitely buy it.

Not at all, but they are not as indestructible as people would like to think. That premium is somewhat due to the maintenance costs needed to get to 300k or whatever. Daddy needed another tranny at 240k in his 4runner, not much difference between a Chevy. Except he sold it for 8500k after fixing it to some retard instead of the 4.5k it was really worth. It felt as ratty and wore out inside as anything else on the road at that age.

My envy dwarfs the stars, user. Got any pics while I'm kicking myself in the feels?
I regret never getting any pics. I don't know how Mazda did it, but the 626, 323 and b pickups were some of the comfiest and coziest cars I ever had. That includes my Volvo 940.

Excuse my retardation. Kinda running on empty after a very long day. This was meant for

A 22RE that has been maintained...which is obviously a big risk with a used one...will go 200k on a timing chain. I replaced it in the couple I’ve had just because I didn’t trust their history, then drove that one til I sold it 100-150k later.

It really isn’t much of a job or expensive.

Unless you need an open bed a gen 2 4Runner is the better choice. All around better vehicle and more versatile with regard to hauling shit you don’t want to expose to the elements.

Hhnnngg! Love the colour, user. That truck looks fuckin' good.

WEED

Get an old colorado, i5 is super reliable, drives like a car, great for working. Mine just reached 97k miles and besides basic maintenance i just had to replace the thermostat. Get the z71 ls, has all the accessories and 4wd

Thanks mang. Paid $500 for it.

get a ranger retard

Go to your local junkyard or pick n pull.

You'll see far more GM and Chrysler/DODGE products than Ford.

Why is that?

Wait till you have to deal with the timing nightmare.

>putting a camper shell on an anemic POS that can barely propel itself with horrible quality control (either a reliable POS or an unreliable POS depending on the day it was manufactured)

If he's intent on putting a camper shell on the back he shouldn't be looking at anytime other than a full-size 8' bed regular cab truck. Preferably a heavy half ton.

>Drives like a car
Whew lad, that thing is stiff as fuk on the bumps.

That's a steal for a truck as faithful and underappreciated as those mazdas. Never realized they made trucks, too, until I stumbled across mine.

>His car is a soft luxurious ride
Pleb

Why don't you just buy a suburban?

cus the newer ones are gay and I cant find any 7th gens

bump for more trucks

How?

Tundra>Tacoma

prove me wrong

I've owned a late 1st gen 4runner, the 5sp 2.0. Wouldn't do it again, fuck the carby on that is a POS.

OP here, I do agree that a full size truck is better overall for doing, well, truck stuff. If I actually owned some land right now and had to do shit around the property or even just go anywhere really I would cop an 05 tundra for sure (honesty time: I'd probably actually buy a ram 1500 because I'm a cheap bastard), but right now I reside in a busy metro area and a smaller pickup is more practical and less of a hassle. So yeah the taco is superior for my situation, they're both great trucks though

how cheap are the carbs/how many did ya end up going through? what else shit the bed on that ol girl?

Fuel economy
Cost
Ease of parking/fitting in cities
Fits on trails better too, better approach and departure angles

Didn't even try to buy one, my experience with Toyota parts told me it was going to be worth more than my shitbox 4runner. Maybe I should have tried, would have saved on constant spark plug cleaning/replacement.