youtube.com/watch?v=QbyVuJbgwfM&t=30s
youtube.com/watch?v=gPl_RJRjFBE
youtube.com/watch?v=iCvtGyRaAqQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

YANDEREDEV! YANDEREDEV!

Why do you hate my game!?

why is pixel art so haaaaaaaard

progress (lagging webm ahead!)
now you can control units, i still need to do some cleaning.
tfw i made a typo in the name of some files and i don't want to rename them and break everything
i need a better name than SFTL : Slightly Faster Than Light

I'm struggling so hard trying to come up with an original character, they all end up looking like characters that already exist out there.

Imagine a menu which scrolls vertically

The slots in that list are scroll boxes which scroll horizontally

Do you want to scroll vertically with the mouse wheel and grab/drag with mouse to move the horizontal ones, or the other way round?

Your characters are always going to resemble another in some way, nothing is purely original.

Right clicking on the resource and selecting rename should work fine unless you're referencing it by name in the code.

You're 100% right, I just worry about people thinking I'm trying to rip off some shit.

I don't want to use that kind of menu with a mouse, I want a list to pop up where I can pick the right option if I'm using a mouse.
Failing that, changing the individual option with a scrollwheel is usable but feels like a console interface.
Other way around you are just fucking with me.

Scroll wheel to zoom.
Ctrl+Scroll to scroll down.
Shift+Scroll to scroll sideways.

yeah that's the case, i'll just go through scrips and correct them

As long as your design has enough original elements in it, I seriously doubt that will happen

Look at the most successful franchises in history. Do they do something different? Or do they do the same old thing well, and in a new context?

Soldier 76 is generic as fuck, but he strikes those generic "hardass" chords well enough that people like him. Add in the "old man" schtick and bam, it's a fun character. Just go for a feeling and own it. Don't worry or over design.

Scroll up to scroll down, scroll down to scroll left, arrow key up to scroll up and arrow key down to scroll right.

Thanks a lot, anons. This re-motivated me to keep working on my characters.

youtube.com/watch?v=VmzCR2ocUgY&feature=youtu.be

-enemies fire sensor bullets that collide with buildings/ the player
-enemies have an alert meter that goes down if the player is in shadow/ out of range

overall enemy movement looks a lot more natural

Vertical scroll default.
Hover over relevant area to scroll horizontally.

What will they do to the main character of Journey once they catch it?

the room resets

maybe i'll put in a death animation or a capture animation

modular meme tactics

Keep going

Do you have Path of Exile tier autism numbers for that?

GIVE HIM BACK HIS THIIIINGS

How do I stop feeling bad about making something mostly unoriginal? I tried to make original things for years and years but all of my prototypes ended up failing. I just want to release something at this point but contributing almost nothing to the field is eating at me.

there's nothing original anymore, everything and anything is already done by somebody, just like make game f a m

>didn't take off his pants
fuckin tease

Sure thing Pajeet, what the world needs is another generic indie game that's a clone of something else more popular.

I'm serious though, someone please post their filters.

Just make the 2D Dark Souls user.

You failed because you don't have the resolve to succeed, not because of some 'originality' shortcoming of your ideas.

They still sell.
youtube.com/watch?v=QbyVuJbgwfM&t=30s

Dear /g/, I am looking for inspiration for a learning app. What are the most basic but innovative (you may also say generic) games that are waiting to be extended with a teaching context?

>only 7500 views in 6 months

failure incoming

Name one truly original game in the past 10 years.
Everything is influenced by other things.

Work on your reading comprehension. The ideas were original but failed to work in practice.

>Up next
>Unforgiving Metroidvania Souls-Like
I got cancer from reading that.

Being unoriginal doesn't make a game bad. Being bad makes a game bad.

Being original moves it away from being bad though, it's not enough on its own, but it helps.

so if I carbon copied DS3, according to you my version would be bad because it wasn't original, even though it's the exact same?

Being original stops people directly comparing your game to a better one and gives you an excuse for the failings, but it doesn't really make it better

Well, I'm still not GOOD at this, but I'm getting less bad

Time for Progress!

Dialogue events are working now. Well, so far it's a monologue in the webm, but the next step is to add title switching and more character sprites on screen during dialogue events. And of course, I'm planning to add a bunch of different character poses and expressions for all the important characters in the game. It will take some time, but it's much more enjoyable if the whole pose of the character changes than just the facial expressions, makes the dialogue much more fun.

Also thanks to the user that suggested the dark blue overlay instead of black for the darkness, it looks much better. Sadly I forgot to prepare it in this video, but I'll post it in the next one.

What do you think about Harvest moon clones?

Im still waiting for a good one.

I think the PC could use more of those.
I also think Harvest Moon X SpaceChem would be really fucking cool.

Oh Jesus I feel better about my own art now, thanks.

I don't

Stardew Valley? It's cute.

I'm looking forward for the monster themed HM who an indie is making here. Already took Maria as mah waifu.

I was gonna say Pikmin but it's actually 16 years old.

youtube.com/watch?v=gPl_RJRjFBE
>vector images
>not sprites
amateur

Being good is completely subjective so stopping people from thinking about better games is a good way of making them consider it to be good.

vector is the future

Crypt of Necrodancer.

Do you know another rhythm based roguelike?

Everything is an imitation of something else, originality is a meme
t. Aristotle

Who wants to see PROGRESS?

Show me your big "progress".

not me i am just here for the HOT and FUNNY memes agdg can create!

>earlier it was drawing blurry when window had odd dimensions
>now it's drawing blurry when window has even dimensions

Ok, so is there an obvious mistake I'm making here? When the unit passes through the collision on this area, it should print "body entered," right? What am I doing wrong?

Sum up your character's personality in three adjectives, and his story in a single sentence.
That way you can focus better on what your character is. A bad thing to do when designing a character is having too many small details, to the point where they are almost like noise.
It's not a sure way to have a totally original character but it helps to avoid bad characters.

Good simple personalities are better than overcomplicated ones. Look at doom guy. He's angry, he's righteous, and he HATES evil so much he can't physically contain it. Bam, fun character, make gameplay. The interesting parts are in the interaction between characters, not the character itself in a vacuum. Like the scene where doom guy slams monitors when the robot is trying to rationalize the bad shit it did, or when he picks up and regards a new weapon.

Shenzhen IO

i changed image settings from 'use my preference' to 'let the 3d application decide' in nvidia control panel and it's alright again now

>effect finally works
>close project, do some other stuff
>come back to project
>effect doesn't work anymore
>scared it might have broken down again
>I just had set the emitter to not visible for some reason
I thought I was going to have an aneurysm out of sheer anger.
How's devving going on for you guys ?

>youtube.com/watch?v=iCvtGyRaAqQ
>game animation microtalks
>first presentation is on a metatalk
>second presentation is on networking
>third presentation is on political signaling
>fourth is on streaming your development
>fifth is on community

wtf GDC?

I would be pissed if I spent money to watch this garbage.

MFTL: Massively Faster Than Light

What is the best 2D/2.5D engine to develop an HTML5 game with typescript?

I am a full time Angular 2+ dev and want to make my first cross plattform game.

HStP : Higher speed than a photon

What happens when two energy balls hit the shield at slightly different time? Do the effect jump position or does it duplicate or something?

Looks like all those blue people have never seen a red person before

Oh, youtube changed their interface again.

NEUTRINO SPEED

>start working on a game
>realize after several days of work I don't know where to go with it

Well that's that then.

Might have to build a new computer just to speed up these fucking renders

>body entered

that sexual innuendo in your code

It duplicates, the first version jumped positions and it just looked weird. Webm related. There's a bug in this one regarding the orientation of the shield but that's fixed now.
I'll probably make it so that it's more or less big depending on the damage too but the next thing to fix in that is the way it handles the shield orientation when the character collides against something. Because right now it simply doesn't do it.

Cycles is a fucking pain in the ass to use, make sure you clamp direct/clamp indirect. It might be worth it to throw some light tint over the whole surface of your sphere to simulate atmosphere.

Please. It's killing me that it isn't working, it has to be some dumb easy mistake.

Why don't you stop worrying about juice polish and get back to working on gameplay?

FTc : Faster than c (speed of light)

Any ideas for fun mechanics to put in my shitty ball game?

>Cycles is a fucking pain in the ass to use, make sure you clamp direct/clamp indirect.
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't tried messing with those and the occasional fireflies were driving me nuts
I tried a volumetric atmosphere after seeing some good results online, but it's a pain to try and reverse engineer random people's spaghetti code and figure out why they did the math the way they did, so I haven't exactly nailed the effect yet

Explosive barrels. Spring boards. Turtles that wander back and forth and push your ball. A combo system. Also make the ball blue and name him blonic.

Look up some pinball games, some have really interesting designs.

It looks nice user

All I've been working on so far is gameplay or systems necessary to it, I need a break from it.
The way the AI works right now needs a complete overhaul and I'm still thinking about how I will tackle it instead of messing around with Behavior trees and ending up with a huge mess.

sorry i'm not familiar with gamemaker code. that is gamemaker, right ?

Ok reek.

is game maker studio 2 worth the $60 upgrade or should i just stick to 1.4?

change "_init" name to "_ready"

>function example(x, y, z) return x.y.z end
I don't know Lua but I doubt that you can do that, functions accept values or references, not symbols

watch Chris Crawford's talk on creativity in videos and generating ideas

Didn't work :/ init does get called, the collision gets.created and everything. Ready seems to be identical.

(I use init because these objects will be created in code, not in the editor)

Lua can return multiple variables. It's one of the strong features of the language.

x.y.z is not multiple variables

Good ideas. By combo system do you mean something like, if you hit several score-giving objects in the same shot you get a score multiplier? That way I could make it so that not only number of shots determines your score, but "style" or cool trick maneuvers aswell.

Also a good idea, I've not considered them at all.

Is this a joke...? It's Godot.

The "." operator is used to get a member from an object. "x.y.z" means "the member z of the object x.y" and x.y means "the member y of the object x". In that context, y and z are not member names, they're variables, so they can't be used that way. I don't know if Lua has tuples, but it clearly has objects, therefore if you want to return multiple values you can just return an object with more than one member.
examples(a, b, c) is also nonsense for similiar reasons, b and c are not variables (but a.b and a.b.c are).