Got offered a used car today

Audi 2003 A4 1.8T Quattro, 161,000 mi, he's asking for $1500

What's your read, Veeky Forums? Good deal? It's gonna be my first car to own, what should I know?

Questions welcome

Buying a 15 year old entry level Audi is a bad idea for obvious reasons.

I hope you have a few thousand stashed away for the repairs you'll be dealing with.

Even regular maintenance is more expensive, you now have transfer/diff fluids to deal with, a turbo that could (will) shit the bed on you, AWD system with myriad moving parts...

Would not recommend OP, if you need it as a reliable DD.

I'd say no as your first car. Get something slow and N/A so you can take a vehicle to its limits without doing 5 illegal things at once

>2003 AUDI

enjoy your $400 alignment jobs, the $1k per wheel when working on the Quatto bullshit, the electrical gremlins and the leaky engine

how can people not have even basic common sense when shopping for a first car

this shit seems so obvious

My first car was a Volvo v70, it had about 170k miles on it, great car.

Because not everyone has vehicular autism

Im driving the 2.0 NA, non quattro version of it.
Got it with 100K km here in germany.

You are just asking for problems
>quattro
>turbo
The 1.8t is bad on the mpgs and the "power" is not worth it at all.
My a4 gets around 7.3 L/100 km, city stop and go 8.5 L/100 km. The 1.8t is using 8.5 L/100 km average.
So good luck with the fuel costs and the maintenance cost that will hit you.

Also, waterpump will fail and crack soon. Mine did at 160 K km. You will have to remove the front bumper to get to it and the timing belt.

>if you need it as a reliable DD
OP here, See that's the thing, right now I don't. I walk to work, but if I need to do anything with a car, it's a clusterfuck with zipcar, namely that I can't go anywhere and actually enjoy it without watching the clock.

This will be a max 70 mile/week car

>mfw googled how many km 161 K mi is
>its 259 000 km

Lol, what the actual fuck, you dumb nigger?
Is this an other LARP thread?

Terrible deal, slap him

That thing is a ticking time bomb.

Those audi /vw B5 platform cars are amazing. You will find droves of people with immense love for them. I really missed my 2000 passat. However, these cars are nightmares to work on, and have reliability problems. Expensive parts. Don't do it Jimmy.

Get a manual Honda.

not worth even third of that

i have never met anyone who loved them for any reason other than badge
most fags who love them love them because they think audi is more classy than bmw and have never drived anything other with maybe the exception of a base model golf. And they went from that to audi because audi is cheaper.

tldr audi such a piece of shit only poorfag badgewhores who dont care about cars buy them

Well... I paid 3700€ for my 2001 A4 1.8T Quattro with 250000km on it, so... I think yours may have a lot of things that are broken or breaking on it.

If you shop for an Audi, you almost certainly need to have VCDS and a lift. I had but didn't use either, but that's cause I knew what I was buying.

You overpaid

Show me one in good condition at that price with perfect maintenance history, less than five owners and above average options and I'll agree with you.

>perfect maintenance history
I've never seen that when it comes to used cars.

Come check out my A4 then.

Never take a deal that someone makes you. As a buyer you should be the one making deals. There's a hundred Audi's just like that for sale in your area, there is no reason to grant your sale to this guy than another guy

Does a snow crash like that damage your car?

Show me an AWD sedan with quality interior and ride comfort, aside from Audi. Didn't think so.

No... Well, at least if you don't count the fact that it tore off my exhaust from the flex connection, which was already leaking, no. Just have the plastic undercover on well enough and it'll be fine.

Here's the exact same thing but cheaper because it's not wearing four rings

>B5 Passat
If you find the pre 2000's in nice condition with AWD, you're going to end up paying more than for a pre 2000's Audi with quattro.

"Used A4" is one of the scariest terms in cars. Stay away.

Spoken like a true nocar, nowrench soyboy. Keep repeating those memes, buddy.

I can do better

>used A8

Wow that really contributes to the discussion, fucking autist

Any 4matic e/s class or any 5/7 series xdrive?

KYS faggot.

There are loads of people who love B5's. Graduate highschool before you decide to shittalk.

You live a sad life then, mate. Obviously they're gems in a sea of shit but when you finally find one thats reasonably priced, its incredibly satisfying

The person selling it doesn't have the $1500+ needed to get it in normal condition again.

I said real AWD

>audi
stop

>said
I meant "meant".

1.8T is the best engine VAG offered at that time. Its also very reliable and power to economy ratio is astonishing.

This. These engines are well known for their reliability, altough they do require proper lubricants and special power steering fluids...

German engineering at its finest. And to think all that is just for an oil change.

>And to think all that is just for an oil change.
Bullshit

Don't do it OP. Any Audi over 100k is a fucking grenade with the pin pulled out. I had a 2003 A4 with the 3.0 and I easily spent what I paid for it on repairs and it was only 9 years old at the time.

That's not what ELSAWIN says. Stop spreading lies, poor shitbox-shill.

What would OP get for $1.5k as a reliable DD?

>4ring haters ITT
Do you lot get paid to keep circulating these tired memes?

I've had my A4 for nearly 11 years, and it's by far the most reliable car I've ever had.
It can run at 40mpg, and the parts are all VW and so are cheap and available everywhere.
Granted, it's not the most thrilling car you'll ever drive but there are far worse ones.

Just remember:
>1.8 = cool and good
>V6 = awful
>ignore the rest

2001 Toyota yaris

This. 1.8 petrol or 1.9tdi, everything else is trash

Yes. I forgot about the diesel.
This man is not a skeleton and is correct.

>3.0
There's your problem, the redesigned 30V was a train wreck. The old cast iron 30V V6s were pretty damn solid, except for the maintenance whore that is the 2.7TT.

All you need is snow tires, AWD is useless

I think audi gets way more shit than it deserves, but it still deserves a lot of shit. Have an extra $1500 set aside for repairs and maintainance and you should be fine

Honestly, there is a seriously slim chance that this would work out well.

real nigger hours in here

>4matic

Should have said Honda/Acura Legend. SH-AWD BTFOs german engineering.

Interior falls apart

He could just buy a 3k Civic at that point.

Your CV axle is shitting all over the knuckle, faggot.

kbb/nada/edmunds

>audi "quality"

Go ahead and get hektik on ice with your RWD/FWD shitbox, post results.

After B5 that peeling painted plastic plagued all VAG products for a while. That being said, if the owner was not a dirty greasy faggot with acidic secretions, the buttons would not peel. They sell replacement buttons on ebay for next to nothing.

>1.8t
Ignore the other niggers but if your confident with working in the car it will be easier then you think. Just don't you ever get your fluids wrong, not even if it was label euro style. Did that with my Passat and it shat out the entire thing I poured into the reservoir. Bought some German tier stuff and the issue is gone except for a small leak.

Be prepared to check fluids and checking for leaks. Replace the the valve cover gasket.

Audi automatics from that age were total shit. Please make sure this thing is not skipping gears