Why do people buy automatic Mustangs/Camaros? Isn’t the manual transmission part of the appeal?

Why do people buy automatic Mustangs/Camaros? Isn’t the manual transmission part of the appeal?

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a13980316/you-can-thank-america-for-the-manual-transmission-porsche-911-gt3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It should be, but a lot of people only care about being seen in a sports car, not about actually driving it.

This is what makes up the majority of buyers of sports cars in general.

People have different preferences. You can like cars and still prefer automatics and have fun driving.

because dumb burgers can't drive stick

because we're not poor

stepped on an ied though

As an European I have had enough manual cars already and I'm fed up with them that I have to continuously shift gears in traffic. If it can be done automatically then why not do it then. If I would be buying a new car I would want it to be automatic.

/thread

Some cars have lower HP to the wheels in manual

Muscle cars are better suited to automatics. That kind of power does not play nice with a clutch. Additionally, most automatics perform better at the drag strip.

Keep in mind I'm taking about the bigger engines, not an EcoBoost.

>Citation needed.

Most autos lose more power to heat and friction, than manuals.

No dealer in my town has a new base model manual Camaro that I can afford.

...but they have used Camaros from a few years ago with less than 40k miles with the V8 and automatics which cost less than new 4cyl Turbo models on the same lot.

I'll buy the fucking Auto at that point.

Manual is outdated garbage. Automaticss are better in every way.

>Muscle cars are better suited to automatics. That kind of power does not play nice with a clutch.
This post is so Clapistani, I am in awe.

Some people like to just have the horsepower without being a bench racing autist or track queen. Others can't drive a stick.

I like to believe people that can't drive a manual drive an automatic, and people that can't ride a motorcycle buy a manual.

meanwhile in "burgerland"

If Americans weren’t still buying stick shift cars, high end automakers would stop making them. You should be thanking us. Europoors are so deluded it’s hilarious.

they in fact do stop making them you dumb burger

Your inability to ignore these kinds of posts that bother you is only going to make more of them.

oh, because "some" econoboxes aren't offered in manual?

roadandtrack.com/car-shows/los-angeles-auto-show/a13980316/you-can-thank-america-for-the-manual-transmission-porsche-911-gt3/

one example

You misunderstand my post. Just ignore if you want this trite on this board to ever stop.

The automatic S197 GT was only a few 10ths slower than the manual.

In the new Camaro SS the auto is faster in a straight line.

>Isn’t the manual transmission part of the appeal?
no its actually the opposite, less than 5% of cars are sold with manual trannys now, almost no children around 16 will ever know how to drive one, it will be considered autistic to have a manual transmission from this point forward even in "sports" cars

Americans buy automatic shitboxes and manual sports cars
Europeans but manual shitboxes and automatic sports cars

most manuals are owned by boy racers that thrash the car and do hektic skids all day.

on the used car markets, automatics are usually a sign of a car owned by normal people doing normal things like sitting in traffic while manuals are for children and idiots that burn out the clutch trying to launch at an intersection. autos are more complicated and more expensive to repair but in modern cars they are probobly gong to be in better condition than the stick shift in a base Civic on its 4th owner.

This.

The tangible benefits of manual have pretty much disappeared. Depending on the setup, automatics are faster, more fuel efficient, more reliable, cheaper to maintain, and have better emissions. They even play better with semi-autominois driver's side like adaptive cruise control. Most AWD systems are also limited to automatic transmissions due to how they are programmed.

It's not just a matter of automatics being better, emission standards have made manuals worse. Most modern entry/mid level manuals have rev hang now.

The only reason race cars still have a clutch pedal is because they are required by the rules. There is a reason why super cars are all dual clutch these days.

>mfw the only clean stock supras, mr2s, rx7s and such are automatic

Can't eat burgers and drink extra large sodas when driving manual transmission.

Mustangs were originally marketed to women, what did you expect? The very first Mustang ever made was bought by a secretary!

Automatics are objectively faster. You think you are cool because you buy a sports car with an outdated transmission that slows you down and is inconvenient?

yes? using a manual transmission is objectively "cooler", even if its mechanically inferior.

see
notice how hers is in perfect condition 50 years later while half of the original GT500s were wrapped around trees by the time of the Reagan administration.

most people are too dumb to operate a manual

why do people say this
no auto car off the lot will be able to accelerate at its optimal point in the torque/power curves because the gear changes for fuel efficiency
how is this faster

if you mean it changes gears faster, that may be true for the first few years but then the shitbox auto transmission will begin to slow down, and replacing it is a $5000 dollar job

The most powerful production manual transmission car ever is American.

But if you're buying your Mustaro to drag race, the consistency of an automatic is a huge advantage.

Speak for yourself, eating a plate lunch and shifting gears was day 2 of driving school for me.
It's still about 70/30

That's a matter of tuning which varies based on the car. Additionally an automatic can have far more gears than a manual to keep a car in the powerband.

It's hard to compete with a 10 speed planetary when you only have 6 speeds.

>drop a gear and disappear
manual transmission allows you to accelerate much faster.

>drop a gear disappear
That’s my new favorite fraze

Most Mustangs/Camaro's were automatic back in the day. Auto's were better for doing burnouts, drag racing and the wife could take it to get groceries.

I have owned both, multiple times.

I owned a Mustang GT and an LX that was automatic. Great for daily driving and still fun at the track.

I also own a '14 GT500 and a '69 Cobra Jet. They're an absolute blast but certain days I just don't feel like rowing gears and working the clutch.

>manual transmission allows you to accelerate much faster.
tell that to the new 10R80 or even the 8L90.
try to drop a gear and gapped
>i missed shift

Not in Europe. Manual cars have about 40% share in new cars.

in a sports car(for the twisties) a manual or high end smg is preferable. In a car made only for straight line automatic is faster. At the end of the day its a free country and people are free to spend their money how they wish.

Baloney. You can tune an auto to accelerate just as fast or faster, such as adding high stall, shift kit and building the box. Not to mention changing the diff.

Not what the original post was saying.

The idea of a glassbox being able to handle more power than an equivalent priced manual transmission and clutch is pretty American.

>learning stick on a '98 mustang gt with a worn/stiff clutch
>competently driving in about 5-6 outings

In all honesty, people really overstate how hard it is to learn a stick.

Bought a 15 mustang last week only regret is its auto but I'm still fast as fuck boi
>tfw you'll never rip threw the gears

The response no one wants to actually hear and acknowledge

>tfw learned stick in a 1989 Mustang GT
The clutch was absolutely awful, but I miss that car

I can. I use my left knee for steering.

I'm not a street racer, and I'm not trying to beat a personal 0-60 time at every red light. I just like driving, and a MT is part of that.

This precisely. Driving is way more than pushing a clutch pedal. I've driven stick but my favorite transmission is dual clutch followed by a planetary with flappy paddles. You can control the gears yourself if you want to, or you can leave it in D and take it easy.

CVT transmissions can fuck right of though.

It's the excuse Pagani uses for no manual Huyara, it's a common excuse for not offering a manual in many high end sportscars.

Besides, Planetary gear torquestions converter automatics are inherently stronger, it's the first reason why drag racers used automatics like the Powerglide (the consistency thing didn't use to be true).

>Citation needed

That's because you're a bunch of poor cunts

Drag racing is a valid reason to have an auto, but the Mustang and Camaro aren't muscle cars and they handle pretty well, so it's nice to have a manual.

The Huayra has a clutch... It's just computer controlled.

>taking a manual to the strip instead of the track

The only reason tards on here shill manuals so fiercely is because they think they're professional racecar drivers for owning them. Any argument and they'll just work some self-assuring mental gymnastics to make themselves feel superior.