Merc.benz 2002, AMG c32

Pic related
Found one for 8000 canadian, 120km on the Odom.
Inform me if it's a had deal or if I should be looking elsewhere.
As for issues what should I look for?

I'm looking for a solid sport sedan.

it's an old merc

they are notoriously expensive to fix when stuff inevitably stops working (mostly electrical)

and 120k is around the time stuff starts going wrong, full service history?

It was owned by a mechanic. Who rebuilt and swapped the same engine a year ago. And all electrical was replaced at the same time.
New tires, belts, plugs, etc. There is a full service report apparently.

get a gs430/300 or a manual is300 instead

If he can prove all this to be true, then sure go for it.

Looked into those. They have a high resell value and people drive them into the ground and into high mileage.

trust me, all the electrical shit was not replaced on that car. That is half the weight of luxury vehicles. Also rebuilt engine sounds like the car was pushed hard for only 120k.

That's what I was thinking, he fixed it enough to sell it off.

I guess I will find out. See what his reaction is when I rum his vin, and whip out my code reader.
Although, it's not uncommon for mechanics to rebuild engines, the v6 in those cars are rather easy to lift out and work on.

Here's the interior rather clean for 2002.

In all honesty, it seems you have made up your mind.I cant fault you its a nice car, its a bargain at that price but take a step back and realize why they are that cheap. i like them but would never buy one short of it coming with a warranty or me being heavily mechanically inclined. If you cant afford a newish one you definitely cant afford this one. Also a car with that low mileage already having an engine rebuild is just plain stupid, no matter how easy it is. That is money he had to spend to get it running parts are still expensive even if its almost 20 years old. The tranny or diff will probably go, that car was defiantly abused or not maintained. Good luck and enjoy if if you do get it.

Are these the strawberry milkshake era? Or the balance shaft era?

Sealed transmission?

*Notices OP wants a "luxury" car*

>"Get a Lexus brOoOoOo"

You're right. I am pretty excited to see it.
But I have my sights on newer cars. I was just trying to get the dose of reality from the Veeky Forums people to inform me otherwise.

That is what every mechanic does

Im not trying to convince you no to get it, just letting you know the most likely pitfalls you will face. Maybe as a second car it would be ok. Well good luck user make sure to get something you like anyway.

I just dont get these larp threads anymore. Why are there like 2 threads daily with some obvious bait?

How is this bait? I can show you more photos if you want.

not a larp thread for a car that is that cheap buddy. literally alot of poor people fall for these money pits expecting they will be cheap to fix like their nissan or toyota.

Can anyone give examples? At 8k, say you have to replace $800 of electrical shit and the Mercedes suspension explodes and you need to get coilovers or something. If you can bring the total cost of the car+repairs to like $12-15k to get a mechanic-owned and rebuilt supercharged v6 with a great interior and comfy ride... that still sounds like a good deal.

Look at it this way, an old car plus one design to fail a bit over 60k miles out of warranty will keep failing. The $800 is not a one time thing they will fail sooner than later on those cars and just one electrical system like power seat or ac heated seats will be $1000 by itself. I dont even want to get into any of the mechanical items controlled by a cpu probably double that. The suspension, well you will be getting rid of a fined tuned suspension for comfort and performance if you go aftermarket so what is the point of buying a car like that if you are not getting the perks they came with. Mechanic owned doesn't mean anything. The last part, we circle back to mechanical reliability of a rebuilt engine and general reliability of the car. The engine will be great if it was done correctly with quality parts but a car needing a rebuild is usually one of two its old and on its last legs like 250k miles, american cars usually die about here or its been driven hard hence a rebuild on a low/moderate mileage car like this one. But what about everything else the transmission and differential, other small suspension parts that are not shocks struts, etc. Big expensive items on an old car only worth 8k leaf dollars. So you just doubled in one year your own price of an 8k car to 16 with your estimate and the year after that will only keep taking more not counting preventive/general maintenance. I can keep going on and on about also the quality of the interior from squeaks and rattles to just plain old or worn out items that will irritate you or also items that will need to be replaced again costing money since its will be oem parts.
T. luxury/premium/sport car owner.

Buying any performance type car with that many miles is always a bad idea

So I own this exact year and model. Its a great car if its been babied, but this one definitely isnt. Mine wasnt by any means also, but I still have it for nostalgia reasons (drove it in HS and college, then bought it from my parents for $3k USD).

Mine is at 170k miles, and ive sunk a ton of money with maintenance over the years (close to $15k dating back to my college days). All of the issues everyone in here have talked about, are all real issues with this vintage. No one has begun to talk about the supercharger. I recently had that rebuilt, and that was about $1200 for the work. It was designed with a MTBF of 100k miles, but id imagine the bearing in that one are shot if that work wasnt already performed.

Another thing: if you like aesthetics, check the paint closely. For whatever reason, MB used a really crappy clear coat for their paint jobs in the early 2000s, so if its had extended element exposure and wasnt properly detailed over these last 16 years, the clear coat is or will be on the verge of peeling (and once it starts, it wont stop). My parents didnt garage it for the 4 years from when I stopped driving it to when I bought it from them, and the paint is shit now.

I will say this: if you dont care about cost, and you can throw money at it like a guy in his mid life crisis throws money at strippers or hookers, then buy this car. Its a fun car when everything is running right. If not, i'd venture elsewhere. I have to budget hardcore and plan months out for major maintenance work, but I have made good friends with garage I take my car for work, and they do cut me deals, considering how many referrals ive sent their way for MB owners, standard and AMG alike.

>I'm looking for a solid sport sedan.
So buy an e39 and call it a day

Because he wanted a SOLID sports sedan, not one that'll have all the same problems the mechanic just fixed on the Benz

Any e39 aside from the 2 V8 models will be completely solid, it also won’t have the retarded suspension problems of a benz