Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums
Need advice on buying my first car. From UK, 21 and just passed test. Have a budget of £2000 for a second hand, 1.4 or 1.6 diesel. Need advice as I have no car knowledge...

Nice inbetweeners meme

Thanks using it to reference the level of quality I can expect for my budget

Fiesta 1.4 diesel.
Got a 2004 flame edition(sex) petrol
The diesel to tax is like 15£ a year or something and gets like a million mpg
Low insurance.

if you want a 1.4 or 1.6 be prepared to spend most of that on insurance, even for a diesel. plus tax then you have fuck all left to spend on a car.

I’ll have a look now see if I can find one.
Thanks for the advice!

I have the 2k to spend on the car and another 2k for insurance. I know that the insurance on anything higher for a 1.6 will be higher than that.

oh fair enough then, you should be able to get something decent for that. what do you want in terms of size/practicality, performace, etc?

It will be used for three main reasons
1) getting to work
2) taking the bike for mountain biking (will need to put on a towbar)
3) puusssaaaaayyyy patrolllllllll

In all seriousnes it’ll not be used for much other than basic travel and for picking up chicks

in that case, a fiesta probably would be an ok bet, like said, you can also get a 1.6 diesel but from what i can see they are kinda uncommon. I wouldnt bother with anything vauxhall, the corsa c was fairly awful and unless they seriously got their shit together with the corsa d.

you could probably get a decent mx5 and insure it for your budget, if you dont need anything in the way of practicality. plus it will be way better at picking up girls than a shitty fiesta or punto

Wouldn’t go for a corsa anyway, far too many chicks driving about in them. Wouldn’t go for Clio for the same reason

Buy my Volvo, £1200

I have a towbar for the Volvo too

Only problem with a mx5 would be too impractical for trips mountain biking... but like your thinking

I would prefer a hatchback as I live in a city and parking it always tight, plus my grandad drives one....

Missing out lad, but no worries

hot

I’ll take your word for it and have a look at a few but just can’t see it being practical, just like a mx5 suggested previously...

Can I piggyback on this?

Atm I drive an '08 Fiesta zetec 1.25litre, done 66,000 miles, plan to sell

I found a '10 golf tdi 2.0 litre for £5750, only done 48,000 miles, but its automatic (dsg)

Is it worth getting? What problems can I expect with an 8 year old automatic TDI?

also, dunno if OP is reading but I'm selling the fiesta for 2200 ish, in great condition, black, very nippy for a 1.25 and economical. Cheap insurance

Still here just watching the football so have eyes on both.
Piggyback away lad more than welcome.
Sounds great would be worth a look however I’m based in NI here though

ah shame, would definitely recommend as a first car though. Zetec is nippy enough round town.

You’re telling me lol, it’s been one of the main cars I’ve been looking at, have half narrowed it down to either a fiesta, Leon or Ibiza, Astra or a 307

Can't go wrong with seat, good value cars

Depends on what you think is practical really, Mx5's are a compromise for everything other than driving experience, I'm not trying to shill you my car because I'm selling it but there are things like extra lock track rod ends and hub modifications available for slightly older cars if you were really stuck for parking in a city and needed the extra steering lock

The Fiesta has High Insurance

When my kid passed her test in January, I gave her my 52 reg fiesta 1.4tdci lx, so that she could learn to drive properly with all of the nutters out there, then she could buy a nice, newer car,
well fiesta was £1750 to insure with a black box for a year,

so done a insurance quote for a 62 reg petrol Pug 208 and the insurance was £1043,
on my mates 02 reg 1.4hdi Pug 206 the insurance was 1475

So if you can afford finance get something younger

>1.4 or 1.6 diesel
Why those specific engine sizes? Just buy any tiny 1995-2005 hatchback like everybody else.

I have a 2002 fiesta zetec, the road tax costs me £100 every 6 months and it's killing me.
I want to get something a bit more upmarket but I can't afford shit, what are my options?