Video Game Stick

I'm in the market for a new car but am unsure if I should get a manual or not. I took some lessons ages ago but have never owned one. It is not a matter of learning to drive one but knowing if i'd like to drive one.

I'm thinking of getting pic related to use while playing euro truck simulator and racing games. I know that the clutch won't be right for learning but will it be similar enough to tell if I like it?

I live in Amerifat so there is know way to rent a manual and none of my friends have one.

if you can afford that, you can afford some shitbox manual. just get the manual car instead.

Yeah, I live in the middle of nowhere. There ain't no local Craigslist and there are no used manual shitboxes for sale anywhere near me. That's even before I get into parking the damn thing. Also, I have enough money that I have no interest in a shitbox.

get an automatic so you can go from point a to point b, just change ATF every 100k miles with a name brand, like mobil 1. they get better fuel economy nowadays and safer, more focus on the road. you also dont have to replace a clutch

performance standards are worth it, they feel really good to drive. you need to build a transmission though, it's worth it if you care about performance

slushbox standards are cheaper.

I own two automatic cars and am replacing the one I drive because I can afford something nicer now that my mortgage is paid off. The bigger issue is that you aren't using OEM ATF and only changing it after 100K. I worry for your cars.

>>>/ovg/
>>>/bus schedule/

Holy fucking Christ dude it's not rocket science, I swear I say this every thread. Just buy the car you want and learn in that. Takes maybe 10 minutes to get comfortable enough to lurch your way home.
>setting off
Hardest part. To practice, try to get going by only feeding out the clutch. This will teach you your bite point. For real driving use both clutch and gas to both take off faster and wear clutch less.
>shifting
Clutch in, shift, clutch out. Blip the gas before clutch out on downshifts.
>hill starts
Right foot on gas and brake or parking brake method.
>parking
Neutral, set handbrake, in gear, engine off. Don't be the chucklefuck who only trusts his handbrake on a hill.

Yeah, I know how to. I'm just not sure if I want to. Don't want to waste wife points in buying one only to realize it was more fun in concept than practice for me. I know a lot of people who know how to but will only buy automatics now.

>will it be similar enough to tell if I like it?
no
t. /ovg/

A G29 won't teach you what the clutch feels like, which is 80% of how you drive stick.

Just get a manual car and drive the thing, only way you're gonna learn and get good at it.

>Only to realize it was more fun in concept than practice for me. I know a lot of people who know how to but will only buy automatics now.

Lol are you retarded or just know a bunch of retards? Get a stick.

we have containment threads for this kind of shit

i did this a few years ago
the ONLY thing sims help with is muscle memory when changing gears when you start out.
there isn't a single fucking sim that properly simulates the clutch, which is 90% of the difficulty in driving manual. anyone can depress the pedal, move the benis into a different gear then release the clutch. that's easy.

spend the $250 on a complete trash manual shitbox and learn stick on that instead

>get an automatic
>americans actually consider a manual harder to drive enough that they "get a manual J-JUST FOR FUN"
pathetic

my dad owned a black subaru impreza, didnt touch the tranny until 100k mi, dealership replaced ATF with plugs/oil too at same time

Literally just go buy one and drive it home. If you live in the middle of nowhere, who cares if you stall a few times on the way home?

I just did this. Never drove a manual before. Read about it. Bought a car. Drove it home. Stalled a couple times in the first two days. After that, no issues. It's not that hard.

>100k

You know that service intervals aren’t standardized, right?

I’ve got a G25 and Gran Turismo 5. You have to PUT THE CLUTCH ALL THE TO THE FLOOR, and then there is no rev matching or bogging... Should grab a PC sim, but atleast its fun hooning.

Assetto Corsa is pretty fun desu, decent mods help with that.

ETS2 is my fave though, pure comfy. Grab a hot chocolate, put on some chill music and just drive.

Every time I play Assetto Corsa I get angry, as a long time car enthusiast. Game does weird things.

The only game that properly models a manual transmission in every important respect is BeamNG Drive. It simulates the inertia of the driveline, clutch bite, engine overrev damage and synchronizer grinding and failure. Of course, it also has the best damage modelling of any game, nailing a tree head-on will put your heart in your throat until you remember it isn't real.

Can advise name brand for cvt or Honda. Honda autos need Honda atf.
Cvt is a mess for most companies so it's difficult to say.

Wouldn't call it hard just not really an option for some situations.
Though there's legit no reason not to get manual on sports cars.

It has great damage models for a game, but it's still a long shot from reality, and a lot of the wrecks end up looking utterly silly.

i was thinking the same thing, that i could try assetto corsa or something

its nothing like reality
you have to do it like all of us americans living in flyover
buy the car on a friday and spend two days learning it
stalling the fuck out of it, panic -revving on starts, jerky downshifts
thatll be enough practice time to get you to work
then itll take months and years to really burn away the amerilard autotragic brainwashing

It’s not just you, I get really pissed playing forza
>what the fuck? 2000 lb cars don’t handle like tugboats wtf is this shit?

With Euro/American Truck Simulator, if you don't have VR, it's not that great IMO - looking around is a bitch. But yes it could give you some idea. Assetto Corsa / Project CARS / other sims are the best choices for wheel support. Forza and NFS have absolute dogshit wheel support, GTA and other games I tried to run don't work with it (at least not without being a pain in the ass). Keep in mind the G29 stick shifter is sold separately - I bought my wheel/pedals with shifter around Black Friday from Best Buy for like $210 last year. Wheel was slightly defective but immediately got it replaced. It will take time to configure sensitivity and settings correctly.

Anyway, basically:
>Do you live somewhere with lots of stop lights?
Manual might not be for you.
>Do you live somewhere with lots of traffic?
Manual might not be for you.
>Are you a bitch nigga?
See above.

You might hate it if you have to deal with stop-and-go traffic daily. Depending on severity, you may get aches from it but just man up and deal with it and you'll get used to it.