Bought manual car

>bought manual car
>know basics, how it functions
>have to run a few errands today
>too nervous to go out and try driving it
fuck me Veeky Forums I'm a huge faggot

practice on some backroads, jesus christ, it's not microscopic rocket surgery

I live in a city

The only way to beat your anxiety is to confront it. I believe in you user.

city driving consists of coasting between 2nd and neutral, you can't fuck up. Use 1st to launch if your car is gutless

it's more uphill starts or stalling in traffic I'm worried about

You will stall. That's just part of learning. If your car is new it will have hill assist. If it is old, use the handbrake.

oh man I was afraid of launching on uphill inclines as a kid.
Just use the handbrake, and give it slight gas until you can feel the torque, then release the handbrake and lift off

it's easiest when you learn the exact bite point of the clutch

What the fuck am I reading? Is this really how some people drive? Omitting the 1st gear? Holy shit

the fuck am I gonna do with the first gear? All I use it for is to get out the driveway. Just give it a bit of gas and it's perfectly capable of starting in second

Rip clutch

to be fair my 1st is very short 2nd is long as hell, so it boils down to the gearing in the specific car, really

My bronco redlines at 10mph in first. Its so much easier to start in second and shift at about 25Mph

So? It was geared that way for a reason. You're putting an unnecessary amount of wear on your clutch by starting in 2nd.
I drive a tiny econobox and I'm in 4th by the time I hit 30mph, but I still cycle through all the gears when driving normally.

update boys, drove to the fucking liquor store and back
Stalled so many fucking times that when I went to back into my garage, I stalled again and the battery is dead
kill me please

Give it gas dude.

the chance of fucking up in the future goes down each time you fuck up. just keep driving and eventually it will click

Go watch some youtube videos. Practice finding (in your driveway) the point at which the clutch bites.

Your story made me realize I am going to deal with this in the future.

One thing that helped me learn drivigg manual in first was:

Start out on a flat spot (parking lot neighborhood street etc.)

1. Start the car go to neutral

2. Clutch down shift to first

3. Slowly SLOWLY release the clutch slowwwwly dont give it gas.
If you let up on the clutch slowly without giving it gas the car will get to moving.
you’ll be able to find the bite point

once you get used to the bite point thats where you give it a little gas.

Helped me alot when i found out i could get the car moving without giving it gas just by releasing the clutch really slowly

But basically you can get the car in first without giving it gas as long as the road is flat and you slowly lift up off the clutch

Depends on the car, but some won't move without giving it gas. You will be able to find the bite point by watching the revs drop and the car eventually stall though

Yes get familiar with the bite point. You can release the clutch quickly until you get to that point, then just keep it there until the car is rolling forward at ~2mlh thrn release the clutch quickly. The key is just keep it there at that bite point, you don't need to continue slowly releasing the clutch it will engage/ lock up on it's own within a couple seconds. While that friction is there just give the gas a little dab. Boom, that's all there is to it.

Depends on the car's gearing and power at idle.

Even with gas at like1500rpm it stalls when i let up the clutch and when it does go it chugs like it's going to die
It's a 95 geo prizm shitbox

>tfw yuropean
>in an FF cuckbox
>revmatching before entering into corners is second nature

Where do you live? If you're near me I can help you newfriend

NH

Man, that's okay. I learned to drive a manual in a thunderstorm through downtown Louisville. Big thing is to not give a shit about what people think while you learn. The only one judging you is you.

I'm worried someone called the cops or something on me for driving so fucking badly
I feel like a 16 year old again

Rip in shit I'm in canada lmao. Honestly all it is, is giving gas before letting the clutch out, and let the clutch out SLOWLY. If you let it out slow & smoothly you will never stall. Don't let the people are you make you nervous, just drive.

not skipping gears is for girls, user

I believe in you OP. Keep trying and you'll get it.

>errands
>liqour store
degenerate

Do you have a gear that you never use? Why?

I'm on Veeky Forums of course I'm a degenerate

1st and 5th 4me

you fucking won't. manual is extrememely easy to learn unless you're actually retarded

You're going to for a while, it's a lot more complicated than just throwing it in drive and pushing down the gas. I'd really practice creeping without the gas pedal because it will help you learn where the bite point is on your clutch. Once you know about where the clutch likes to bite driving a manual becomes a lot easier.

If it helps the first time I drove I just had racing games to go off of and thought you had to get to the redline, my girlfriend smacked me pretty hard.

Ok 5th might be kinda useless in a 6 speed box, but not using 1st might be the most retarded thing I've heard in a while. Can't believe people do that.

kek

It was easy for me when i was learning i almost stalled my first time driving and stalled twice practicing hill starts

find a large open parking lot with very little cars in it and practice in it

however to never ever stall again:

>clutch in
>apply a tiny little bit of gas
>lift the clutch out slowly

you will start moving forwards.

A lot of people think that you have to let the clutch out and gas pedal down at the exact same time, but this is not the case. You will stall constantly doing this, and hill starts will be extremely risky.

Apply a bit of gas, then let the clutch out (slowly and smoothly). If you just let off the clutch immediately that will cause a very jerky and bumpy move off.

Trust me, if you do gas first, clutch second, you won't stall ever again.

For Hill starts you bring the clutch to bite point let off the brake give it gas and bring clutch out. The clutch at bit point will keep you from rolling back alot and give you a smoother takeoff

Seriously mate, I bought a14k$ manual shit box I had no clue how to drive. I had to bring my father with me to drive it an hour back home. That night we went to my old highschool and I putted around for 20 mins, doing circles and figure 8s. I finally said fuck it and just drove it home. Stalled twice. Next day I had to do to the DMV for more paperwork which is about 15 mins away from my house. Drove there, didn't stall once, and been good ever since. Just put every fear aside and just do it.

late night driving man. best time to learn. like after 11pm late night driving.

sometimes 2nd to 4th
i roll stop signs in second all the time, as long as i'm moving

Yeah well its normal if you want to get up to speed quickly in order to merge or something and then just cruise after that

Dont tell hin that. Now he'll go out and fuck everything up.

almost every driver in the entire world knows how to do it proficiently. the only place where standard use is uncommon is America. think of all the sub-80 IQ rural chinks and niggers who can figure it out; you're obviously smarter than them so you can do it too

80's grandmas can drive this shit here. You can't be serious

Okay so OP is a retard.

he's not retarded its just his first time and it probably wasn't explained to him very well

>caring about drivers behind you

>I start moving in 2nd gear

yea, you try not to fully stop in city traffic

just stick with it its worth it. favorite skill ive ever learned

also, from teaching a mate manual, a few things OP.

RE-FUCKING-LAX CUNT
RELAX

take it slowly. say this out loud

TAKE IT SLOWLY

you don't need to let the clutch out in 0.0001 seconds.

you don't need to change gears like a race car driver

your driving along
oh, i need to change gear
clutch in
now at this point, you are in NO RUSH. you can have that clutch in for fucking 5 minutes if you want
select the gear you want
put your foot on the accel a bit, once again, the clutch is in, take your time, if you put it on too much, DONT WORRY, just keep the clutch in until its at a normal level.
then, once revs are at a non retard level
SLOWLY let the clutch out.

my mate + brother both started out slow and didn't stall once.

then 5 minutes later they think they have it and fucking stall repeatedly.

SLOW

THE

FUCK

DOWN

you're not at le mans

your clutch won't die in fucking 5 minutes

RELAX

Op listen, I've owned a brand new 2018 STI for exactly one week and never drove stick before. The first day I stalled probably 20 times, and stalled bad, the car was jerking and bucking and I felt like I was raping and murdering my baby. I was on the verge of tears, and raging so hard I was hitting myself in the thigh as hard as I could to choke back the frustration. I felt like selling the car. But I didn't quit. I told myself to not be afraid to fail. To just keep trying. I wouldn't be a little bitch. So I got in the car the next day and did exponentially better. I stalled it once. I drove in light traffic. I reversed into a parking space. I even did a hill start. It was all about finding the bite point on the clutch. I release the clutch about an inch, give gas, and slowly let out the clutch while holding the gas in place. I'm not the smoothest, but I can actually drive around now without stalling which is almost a miracle compared to that first nightmarish day

Fuck you user, everyone in third world shitholes only know manual and their roads are far worse, and their cars far shittier than anything you will ever see.
Are you really more incapable than a fucking tranny fucker of the third world?

Reminds me of learning to drive stick
>driving home from DMV after getting my plates
>at stoplight on slight hill
>90 degrees out
>already sweating from heat and nervousness
>two cute girls in a mercedes convertible next to me
>"Nice car!"
>"Th-thanks"
>light turns green
>stall
>girls in convertible laugh and drive out
>truck behind me honks at me for not moving
>try to get engine started but I can't tell if it's on or not because of the truck being loud behind me
>have to wait for another light cycle
>get home and immediately lock my only set of keys in the car
Worst day of my life. Haven't had an incident that bad since, though.

thats some spagetti user
i felt exectly like that the first time i drove my manual car
i stalled it at lights a few times but people were mostly understanding

Just drive automatic bro
Dont fall for the manual meme