Dear Amerifat StangBros

Dear Amerifat StangBros,

At what point would it be considered too high of mileage to supercharge a 4.6 GT? I'm looking at one on CL with 85k miles but I can't help but feel like thats too high for forced induction

>inb4 lol domestifat
>inb4 my 80s japanu import is better
>inb4 FERRRRRRRRD
>inb4 5.0 or bust

Other urls found in this thread:

phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/ford-mustang-gt-supercharged/6496687335.html
youtube.com/watch?v=neiehYtsPfI
enginelabs.com/features/clearing-up-mod-motor-misconceptions-with-john-mihovetz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

my 80's Japanese import is better

>Too high for forced induction
American engineering

Nah you’re probably fine.

Mileage has NOTHING to do with whether you can go F/I. Now if the car is visibly beat to hell, there's metal in the oil, and spark plugs are dissolving, it may have too much mileage. 85k however is just fine. To be safe though do a compression test of each cylinder and if it checks out, you're good to go.

Mustang gt owner here, 4.6 is a very reliable albeit lazy engine engine. if car was decently maintained and as other said no issues go for it. I would do the compression test to be safe, dont want to waste money on charging a car only for it to blow up 10k miles later.

Typically, large and lazy engines are what last long.. though a 4.6 V8 is kinda small for a V8

Actually, forced induction builds more heat in the cylinders and closes the piston ring gap more than normal operation. Worn cylinders/piston ring gap actually makes running high boost or nitrous safer

4.6s are boost motors. Respond like shit to bolt ons but you'll get 100+hp from 8 psi. Anything above 430whp is dangerous on stock internals. If the motor compression tests well and doesn't burn oil supercharge that bitch

I'd spend the money on new heads.
t. 4.6 owner

>supercharge a 4.6

Shit stangs are fucking gay.

t. 4cyl auto owner

Thanks for all the input 4.6 owners. I wouldn't be supercharging it myself, it's already been supercharged. I have $12k saved up and trying to move up from a chinese shitbox

This is the ad:
phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/ford-mustang-gt-supercharged/6496687335.html

85k miles isn’t that much for a 05-09 mustang. One you start to get into the 150-170k range the trans and suspension are most likely on their way out. But it really all depends on how the previous owner used the car.

>>inb4 5.0 or bust
don't matter if u inb4, u want a 4.6 lol

should have started with this mate. Much easier than the route you took. People that know more about mustangs will look it over and tell you what they think.

I want a 5.0. I can't afford a 5.0.

My bad. The guy who posted it didn't give a whole lot of info, so I wasn't sure if it mattered or not.

Looks like it was taken care of clean car and install almost looks stock. Does he have records its a must I would say for a car that has been modified. Also make sure to get a good mechanic to look it over and test drive it a bit on WOT. That car was obviously raced but if maintained well those engines are semi indestructible. Any issues should pop up during wot test. Try to do as much test as you can afford and they will let you do, with modified cars no matter the brand are hit or miss since they are modified. Remember service records for install of the super and any other maintenance mechanical records. But overall should be a safe bet.

I’ve always heard that anything between 480-500 is the danger zone for the 4.6. It can vary a bit I guess.

85k miles is nothing for those motors. Turbos are a bit safer than superchargers for most high mileage applications though (less heat and not always in boost)

Better bet for reliability is to just rebuild the stock bottom end with new internals, gaskets/seals and go 5.4 heads (lincoln navigator motor). Bolts right up and a moderately tuned 5.4 can make 400 no problemo.

Yeah it's really impossible to say with a stock motor. One could reliably sit at 500whp for 5 years while another could blow up at 390whp after a week.

Get a boost gauge if it doesn’t have it already. Measure the pulley, and see if it’s making as much boost as it should. Roots blowers are pretty solid but the Teflon seals wear out

What you say makes sense but there is a reason hes buying a mustang v8 that also comes modified with a super, and its not to keep it out of boost. He wants to have fun hence heavy foot so a super will be more reliable in the long run than a turbo.

>overhead cam!
>6,000 rpm redline
what gives?

just save up for a cobra terminator or gt500

Thats a negative on those Navi heads. The best Mod Motor heads for boost are defintely the 93-97 Lincoln mark viii or 96 -98 cobra "b" heads with the cobra cams. The B heads have proven to flow the most air with best results for boost, as proven by John Mihovetz 5.80 second mustang that ran factory B heads.

Also the 96-98 cobra have the most extreme Cams available from factory, second only to the FR500 cams and Ford GT.

Now if you're recommending building an engine I would say go WAP or TEKSID aluminum block with forged crank, I beams and dished pistons along with B heads and cobra cams. Could easily push 1000hp on boost.

link to my B heads info: youtube.com/watch?v=neiehYtsPfI
enginelabs.com/features/clearing-up-mod-motor-misconceptions-with-john-mihovetz/

T. Building a 4.6 4v

yea, no fuel cutoff tends to occur at 7500 and a general rule of thumb is never go past 7000 on a stock motor.

get a v6 for cheap and drop a 460 big block