E34 vs E39

Choose your fate

e34 for looks and driving feel
e39 for that v8

The E39's M62 was jasically the same as the E34's M60, not a valid argument.
E34 has round headlights and tasteful boxiness but the interior is a bit shit compared.

Yeah the e39 has a much better interior but the e34 has a way cooler engine, for its time at least

I've got no problem with an E39 but E34s are my favourite Bimmer.

E30
Why settle?

E39 for me
>manual
>V8
>RWD
>comfy interior
>looks great
We will never see a car like that again, at least not in bongland

You also described an E34 desu

>what is rodgemobile
d-dat s60 tho

E34 for errands or long hauls
E36 for zipping around mountain roads and getting to work

>tfw your E36 keeps having the same damn overheating problem for 2 years strait

My fucking head gasket hates me. Machined the damn thing twice and it still fucks itself up.

E34 heads cracked on me like they're made of glass.

I've overheated the E36 twice, apparently mine doesn't like thermostats, but because they were stuck shut, I had to replace radiator hoses instead of head gaskets.
The first thing I did when I got the E34 was make sure it had the metal therm housing and water pump,
Many good lucks on your futures though user.

Theres just something about the e39 that really does it for me.

Neither. They’re both overcomplicated, unreliable pieces of shit, they require specialized tools to service and parts are way too expensive. All BMW’s past 1992 were designed to be more expensive to maintain than they’re worth simply because the dealerships wantbyou to buy a new model instead of fixing your old one.

TLDR give me an imported Lexus GS300 twin turbo

I had both. E39 is lile E34 but better. Dunno why anyone would want e34 over 39.
>inb4 muh headlights.

>implying a twin turbo import would be any cheaper or any more reliable

Oh cool another tripfag who has no idea what he’s talking about. 2007 bimmer here running on nothing but oil changes and brake pads for 3 years now. Keep talking about muh reliability and muh old cars are superior to cover up how clueless you actually are.

>The M62 was basically the same as the M60
Ehhhhh kinda but not really but stock for stock they are i guess

Can you remind me the specialized tools you need? Because any twin cam motor requires the same exact tools. Wrench more faggot.

There's only one right answer

If I buy an e39 540i am I crazy for thinking I can DD it?

thinking about getting an e34 m5 after college. but also tempted to get a e34 540 and swap in a s62 on account of the m5 not being much different in interior and body kit.

thoughts?

I've own'd my 2001 540i six speed for about a year now. Zero issues. Only upgraded the cooling system.

Swapinh the s62 into anything is a bitch. It'll drop right in but the wiring is a nightmare on those motors, you'll make more power supercharging the 540 anyways.

The biggest issues I've seen are
>timing chain guide
>cooling system
>various seals and gaskets

The one I'm eyeing is a 2001 6 speed manual with 68k miles and lots of Dinan parts.

>supercharging
NA OR DIE

Yeah the timing guides are a bitch. But if you get the oil changed before you buy you can feel for plastic bits, you can also listen for chain slap. They typically change them around 100-120k. The cooling system isn't as bad as everybody says really just new expansion tank and electric fan you should be set. The vanos and valve cover seals are typically the worst but also the easiest to replace.

Indeed. I've owned an e46 for many years and want some of that V8 experience before we're stuck with electric cuckboxes.

I want an e39 to drive until the wheels fall off

Then just buy the M5. you'll spend the cost of a M5 and then some trying to get a s62 in a 540.

They don't pull hard from a stop because of the open diff (you can swap a 3-series lsd for cheap). But man once your on the highway that flat torque curve just never stops pulling. The torque curve almost makes it feel electric.

>262 WHP
>288 WTQ

Damn, 300HP/330TQ at the crank? That's more than I thought

Yep, you'll be able to pull a bit more out with a the fan upgrade and some under drive pulleys. You'll also get even better acceleration if you swap the 2.94 diff for the 3.15 LSD from the M5 or E36 3 series. It's the best car I've ever owned by a long shot.

fuuuuuck you're really selling me here. $4500 is not a lot of money for a lot of car

Test drive it. You've got nothing to loose on that much.

Yeah it's a friend's dad's car, he's clearing space i the garage. It's low mileage and well maintained. Unfortunately it's got a salvaged title, but they did a thorough inspection before they bought it and they know more about cars than I do so the frame isn't damaged.

You'll have Buckley's chance fitting a 3 series LSD to a 210 diff.

Eh for only $4,500 that's a damn good deal. With a price like that a pre-purchase inspection at your local BMW mechanic for about $100 doesn't hurt.

I remember seeing a write up on a forum about somebody using a e36 m3 diff and a m5 case cover to swap it in

Yeah I'm probably just gonna do it.

Now I need someone to buy my e46 for 2-3k

M3 diff will work, but the garden variety 6 cylinder 3 series is the 188mm "medium" diff. For that dude it'd just be easier to get aftermarket ring/pinion for the 210 other than waiting for M3 gears. Series 1 E34 M5 diff gear would be ideal, from memory is about three and a half to one, happy to be corrected.

Thanks my dude, good info.

>TLDR give me an imported Lexus GS300 twin turbo
Hard pass

Did you just have a stroke?

its stock for stock, whats not to get.

faggot

i did!

e46 vs e90/92?
is the latter worth 3-4k euro more?
Is 4.8k euro too much for an e46 3.0d coupe with 200k km? Seems to be in good shape.
I can find 2.0d for like 1-2k less but I heard 3.0d is better.
Should I wait for other offers to pop up or ask him to lower it a bit?