You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Other urls found in this thread:

liquidpiston.com/technology/x-mini-gasoline/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's that smell?

>liquid piston engine
>apex seals

How do I get one of these that's bigger than 70cc?

Throw them both in the trash

>is quasi dorito
>technically a totally different cycle despite superficial similarities
>built by one guy and his son
>DARPA saw their work and immediately gave them funding
>supposed to solve fundamental issue of oil consumption and a few other deficiencies of Wankel engines
>will probably never be used in anything except some weird government projects

They want to use it as a power plant for some robotics and exoskeletons for the military. DARPA is such a double edged sword.

they still have "apex seals"
they're just in the housing rather than the rotor.
Having them in the housing should make them loads easier to change, almost like changing out spark plugs

rotary engines are so cool, i was reading about how they work and it's very interesting.
but i have a question for the more mechanically inclined of you:
why are triple rotor / quad rotor builds so uncommon for street cars? from what I can see even a quad rotor "block" is still pretty small and doesn't really have that many moving parts to it. what makes these builds so difficult, Veeky Forums?

Unavailability of parts.
Three rotors were only made for the Mazda Anus Cosmo. And a 4 rotor eccentric shaft must be custom made.

No 4-rotors ever went into production, so every 4-rotor you see is a full custom job.
All 3-rotors come from the Eunos Cosmo from Japan, so every 3-rotor you see has been ripped out of a cosmo and exported from Japan.

this and INSANE fuel consumption. if you need it you can get the power from boost and not get 4mpg when you are just drivin around

Ah, I see. So no one makes their own independent rotaries like I see many companies doing with piston engines? Like for example Gibson Tech and Rebello make their own engines.
Is it because Mazda owns the patent so no one else can make them?

Why don't they try making one of those for a car? I haven't heard of any

There is nowhere near as much experience with Rotary engineering as there is in pistons. That combined with lack of demand and other Rotary downsides means nobody wants to make custom from the ground up doritos.

suzuki has(had) a rotary motorbike.

they're too inefficient.

Because all the strain would be on the final rotor. This is solved by running them in pairs on 2+ rotor engines, but the fuel consumption, complexity etc. aren't worth the extra power. Just boost a 13B REW to the moon and be done with it.

Not really, because it's a matter of having all the rotors at a set angular displacement from the others to even it out.

Other companies can and have made them, it's just really never been a really practical way to power a vehicle.

liquid piston is so based, appaently they can build you a 1000 HP N/A engine if you you have the cash

wish more people would just chain 2 13b together more often

>burns oil
>by design
LMAO

for triggering environmentalists

As I recall they had plans to put them in power tools and lawn mowers and stuff. The intakes and exhaust must be on opposite sides of the triangle shape (so facing into the screen) which makes this rather difficult to make intake and exhaust manifolds for. Not impossible, just really hard.

There are some billet 3 rotors out there, but yeah this is the answer

I really like the liquid piston design.
Anybody know if it burns oil with fuel?
Seems like stationary apex seals would be easier to change

Interesting idea. Lurking

liquidpiston.com/technology/x-mini-gasoline/
I wonder how powerful it would be if you made a full-sized one.

>You may not like it
>but this is
>what peak
>performance
>looks
>like

>Open deck
>Peak Performance

Peak economy is more accurate

Ok break it down for me. A regular rotary undergoes compression and combustion but the combustion is constant and only on one side; causing heating issues. This other thing is doing that in each of it's three nipple tips which helps with that. However it's not fully compressing where the fuel injector is. Isn't that bad on performance if not economy? Also what are the channels in the peanut doing? Helping it rotate?

>open deck block

>Also what are the channels in the peanut doing?
intake/exhaust

Where is the other half?

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

i like rotaries sue me.
Engine weighs nothing and makes lots of power and great noise.
And to keep it reliable you must hoon daily.
The perfect enthusiast engine.

I put the other half back on