What compels people to drive SUVs Veeky Forums?

What compels people to drive SUVs Veeky Forums?

More and more people here are now driving SUVs and truck based SUVs like the Trailblazer, Pajero etc. Is it for the 4x4 capabilities? Though most of the time they are 4x2 A/T variant. Is it because they can now keep up with sedans and are safer as DD?

I've been driving for years now and as time pass by more and more people here are driving SUVs and looking at new car sales records they indicate that SUVs have surpassed car sales. Are SUVs the holy grail? Any SUV lover out there care to enlighten me?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e7vWH9zLRZw
youtube.com/watch?v=J-T1AvYHNlU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Americanisation and "survival of the fittest" mentality infiltrating society.

The incorrect assumption that bigger = safer, and muh ride height

Doggo
Haulo

>The incorrect assumption that bigger = safer, and muh ride height

Well that's the reality though. In a car crash would you rather be in a Ford Expedition or a BMW M5?

I have a ‘92 Suburban 4x4, but it’s not my daily. I have it for days like today when we have 1+ foot of snow and I need to plow my driveway and drive to work, and when I need to move large or bulky stuff.
Honestly I don’t understand why so many people get an SUV smaller than this I’d try truly need to do truck thing, and why they would want to daily drive anything larger than a midsize sedan or wagon.

If both cars involved are expeditions vs both being m5s, the people in the expeditions will be subjected to more force than the people in the m5s because of all the extra mass.

*if they truly need to do truck things*

Jesus phoneposting is hell

There was a time when sedans would most likely collide with sedans, not with SUVs, and back then you lived a very safe life in a sedan.

>not realizing that larger vehicles also have more room for force abatement (things like crumple zones), redirection, and other assorted force mitigating safety features.

youtube.com/watch?v=e7vWH9zLRZw

SUVs are the future OP
>safer
>higher ride height meaning you can see far and have an advantage in stop and go traffic
>most modern SUVs handles the same even better than most modern sedans
>diesels now have turbos
>more practical and carry more stuff
>isn't any more expensive to maintain and repair than sedans
>can carry more passengers
>have high MPGs nowadays due to being diesel and turbo
>face it Veeky Forums women love SUVs and trucks than sedans and even your sportscars
>sedans don't do anything particularly well

I'm driving an SUVs and it will have more value in 10 years than your average car like Camry.

Ironically SUVs and pickup trucks are subject to lesser crash standards than passenger cars to make them cheaper and keep Detroit in business. They're also more likely to roll due to the higher center of gravity, and when you roll them you're far more likely to be crushed by the roof collapsing under 6000 lbs of weight.

>Citing SUVs from the 90's and not the top tier modern Japanese and European SUVs

>safer
Blatant lie.
>higher ride height meaning you can see far and have an advantage in stop and go traffic
Except when everyone is driving SUVs and you have the exact same traffic visibility as if everyone were driving passenger cars.
>most modern SUVs handles the same even better than most modern sedans
Blatant lie.
>more practical and carry more stuff
Larger vehicles are actually less practical in many places.
>have high MPGs nowadays due to being diesel and turbo
Still inherently lower than the same engine in a passenger car, will NEVER get over the difference in weight and drag.
>face it Veeky Forums women love SUVs and trucks than sedans and even your sportscars
Women are fucking retarded, happy women's day, what else is new?
>sedans don't do anything particularly well
I agree, wagons are superior.

>didn't watch the video at all fully explaining why sedans will become obsolete in 10 years or so.

>Except when everyone is driving SUVs and you have the exact same traffic visibility as if everyone were driving passenger cars.

Still better than those piss poor who drive sedans and wannabe race car drivers in sportscars.

>Still inherently lower than the same engine in a passenger car, will NEVER get over the difference in weight and drag.

SUVs have bigger tires and better suspension that provide better handling than your cheap econocar.

Wrong, the bigger tires merely compensate for the higher weight and greater shifting in the center of gravity, and the longer suspension actually affects handling negatively.

Pic related why I buy an SUV.

With sedans you have to worry about your suspension and front skirts getting destroyed by potholes and even when going uphill. SUVs don't have any problems with these and are made for these kinds of roads.

Where is he? Singapore? Can't you get caned for playing with gadgets and making videos while driving?

I like them because they are roomy, I'm not fighting my passenger for elbow space. Many buyers are ditching luxury imports and buying domestic trucks and SUVs.

Not an SUV. No roll cage.

Used to work with a lady who rolled her husband's Jeep one day. It landed upright and she was wearing a seatbelt. Onlookers helped her collect all the crap that got dumped on the road. She got back in it, drove it home and had to explain to hubby why the hood and fenders were all dinged up.

Same thing, SUVs are only a -little- lighter. A lot of them even share the cabin structure with pickup trucks.

>Police identify woman killed in rollover

>muh ride height

I have a picture (somewhere) of my RX-7, Porsche and FJ40 parked together, taken at bumper height. All bumpers line up within an inch or so.

The advantage my FJ-40 has is that this 'bumper line' is below my feet when I'm seated. In the other cars, it is mid-torso. You can talk crumple zones all you want. But I'd rather have a car frame buckle below me than cut me in half.

CHERRIES!

GET YOUR FRESH PICKED CHERRIES RIGHT HERE ONLY $3.5 A BUSHEL!

There is no 4x2 variant of Japanese SUVs that I can think of.

4Runner

RAV

Sometimes you wan't to initial D larp

Sometimes you just want a big comfy cruise ship

I like more cargo space and having AWD, because I actually use those things. Most consumers don't, and they either just want something bigger to feel bigger or fit their fat kids in, and just don't want a minivan. Basically it's a car for your average mcmutt who's dick isn't quite small enough to feel the need to drive a truck, or your average soccermom who wants a "bad ass" alternative to a minivan.

I drive a Rav which I guess is technically a crossover, but I consider it a ute because it does everything I need it to do including light towing. I'd drive a wagon if there were any good options though. Most are expensive "luxury" wagons or shitty slow Subarus. There really just aren't many good options for wagons or utes in the states, you either get stuck with a crossover or something the size of a special ed school bus.

Pathfinder

Because we live in the middle of nowhere and a car isn't capable of the journey.

It can fit large items that I carry frequently, dry
Doesn’t handle like a truck
AWD is actually enjoyable
And useful in Minnesota
Auto transmission isn’t slow like my old car
1.6 turbo is surprisingly torquey and fun

I never need to tow a trailer
Nor am I inclined to until I own a boat

Wagons look gay. Gayer than crossovers.

I'm sure you're an expert on looking gay.

And you're the expert on penis size?

Well no shit. I’m on Veeky Forums, home of the 3k civic and Miata.

2000 dodge durango slt here. I have a metric fuck ton of gear that I need to haul to and from work sometimes and having an SUV is nice because I can fold down the back 2 rows and store it all safe and dry inside my car rather than on a pickup truck bed. Conversely I can have all three rows up and seat myself and 6 other members of my team for easy transport or have just the middle row and fold the rear one for a decent size trunk. It was nice when I took a road trip with the wife too, plenty of power and great storage space and comfortable seating for long drives. I have a camaro for the weekends.

marketing
average joe thinks big = safe
" thinks they need one because they have 1 kid
" gets nagged enough by wife (who knows even less) to get one (see point 2)
" thinks they aren't cucked by (point 1) because they're made to look sporty

Did I miss anything?

Get better cars then

those arent SUVs. THIS is an SUV

and if it doesnt have a removable top, dont even talk to me.

I'm a bong and I'd buy the fuck out of something like this. Why'd you guys have to fag them up? I'm surrounded by fucking Qashqais and Mokkas here.

i dont know what those last two words are, but im sorry. something something smog laws something safety regulations

Nissan Qashqai, Opel/Vauxhall Mokka. You might know them as the Nissan Rogue and Buick Encore here.

>something safety regulations
We're the ones where new Caterhams are still for sale from the factory. You're the ones with the eighteen airbags and backup cameras. Just saying.

i know. im saying our safety regs and smog laws made things lame.at least up until the last decade where im starting to see a glimmer of hope

You have bad taste. Amerimutts typically do. There's a reason they drive wagons in Europe and Australia instead of the school bus looking SUVs and trucks you people do. They have better taste, and are more mindful of practicality. You think your daily driver needs to be able to rock crawl and tow 50 tons, when in reality you never need to do that. You'd be better off getting something more efficient and renting a monster truck when you just so happen to need to haul so much shit around.

With a wagon being as fuel efficient and we'll handling as a sedan with more cargo space, and considering a simple lift is all you need to get it to go most places, why would you opt for a clitoris shaped crossover?

I understood it as "safety regulations in Europe preventing imports" which is just plainly wrong. The bong will just have to live with having the steering wheel on the wrong side. Can't think of a RHD 4x4 similar to old Broncos.

>a car that can easily avoid accidents vs a truck prone to rolling over

Even the autists at CarThrottle know this shit

You'd rather drive something significantly less safe and that pumps out cancerous shit into your own air?

Fuck i miss these.

Bring them back! Oh wait there's no market for these

Emissions laws are all well and good, but I think it's an adult person's own judgment how dangerous a car to themselves they want to drive. If I go for a car without airbags, then that's my decision and my problem if I crash, right?

i should have been more clear. we fucked our own cars up. no need for outside help kek

yes. but those arent the reasons. the cars i like just happen to share those traits

For utes (small SUVs)? Jeep has them and Toyota is bringing them back with the FTAC and FT4X. There's certainly a market, however most of the "off-road" market is dominated by truck cucks.

We're never going back to boxy cars unfortunately. Rounded ones are more efficient and have less wind noise.

What about the passenger you pick up who hasn't read the spec sheet of your unsafe car, and just hope in assuming it's safe? What about your kids who can't make the decision for themselves whether they want to be driven around in your unsafe POS? Haven't you now endangered those people?

Sorry but society has decided you can't have fun at the expense of others, except with guns. Fuck you if you try to take our guns.

We kill, at minimum, around a quarter million kids a year via abortion. Let's not pretend that we give the first flying fuck about the sanctity of life.

There's no doubt in my mind Europe would be in a more similar situations id the taxes and fuel prices were comparable.

A few potholes destroy your car?

Seriously pathetic.

I have a stock volt which is insanely low for a normal car at the front and my car is fine and I drive on roads like that or worse...

Not available in NZ, only seats 4½ and still wouldn't survive the conditions like a Land Cruiser does.

For me, i was in the market for an A-frame camper and needed something to tow it with. I don't like pickup trucks and prefer more internal cabin space because i haul a lot of other shit around. I landed on the 4Runner and it's great.

And yeah i'm not towing my camper every day but i'm not going to buy and insure two vehicles so there you go.

In that very pic in OP, there's a 2wd version of the Isuzu MU, Holden Trailblazer and Ford Everest.
>runs out of fuel just outside town
Very suited.

The 4.0l eagle gets 17mpg/13.8l/100km combined, it's really not that bad for an early 80's car. About the same my late 90s Subaru wagon gets.

Compared to the Diesel Landcruisers and Patrols which not only exceed 20 mpg, but also have a damn sight more accommodating interior for packing supplies, there's really no redeeming quality to the Eagle other than it being an "interesting vehicle".

Yeah, we're in the market for a new Land Cruiser. 4.5L TT V8, yet it only uses 9L/100Km, has all the bells and whistles, and enough space for the family.

Which is why the crop of SUVs in OP's country are popular. Great economy, accommodating interior and lots of features. Another benefit is resale, as second hand 4x4 SUVs are always in demand.

Because we live in the middle of nowhere and the only road in and out gets washed away every wet season, we need the off-roading capabilities. Landie is the only choice.

>More likely to get super-crushed in a rollover
>Less likely to get injured in 99% of the other accidents

Crashing tests =/= Perfect
The things the test for =/= the accident you will have

They're guidelines.

youtube.com/watch?v=J-T1AvYHNlU

1min in.
Vans are a good option, but those jacking off about Trucks and SUVs being overrated in safety
>Being This dense

>" gets nagged enough by wife (who knows even less) to get one (see point 2)

Seriously what's with women and SUVs? Compensating?

Easier to get children in and out of car seats. Mot that it's impossible in a coupe, but it's easier in an SUV.

Also a false sense of security, enough room for strollers and change bags, and some probably have intentions on filling all the seats up.

If you flip a wrangler at anything close to highway speed you're generally going to have a bad day.

The roll cage can only protect you from so much.

On the other hand you have to try pretty hard to flip a sedan to begin with.

For the ones that don't have any kinds, yeah basically. Women are just as bad or worse as men for compensating. Do they know what they're getting in the AMG package, No, but they do know that stacey doesn't have it. You don't want to roll up to the yoga studio in a base model.

more comfortable ride
easier to see because higher
false sense of security
kids
carry tons of shit
carry MORE shit
carry ALL the shit

Surely you've noticed that women will fill up a purse no matter how big it is? Same concept with SUV. Make it as big as you want she'll still find a way to go buy enough stuff to make it hard to fit.

This. for such a small human, babies take up a shit load of space with what you need to pack fir them. With a sedan, the pram takes up the whole trunk. And loading/unloading ergonomics help more than darty low CoG handling.
Although a lot of it's to do with image, otherwise we'd still be using minivans.

not necessarily bigger, but a BOF SUV will fare quite well in an accident, probably better than a truck considering it's not as heavy so that front end doesn't have to absorb another 1500-2000lbs of weight

I can fit all that stuff in my Civic, but it is cumbersome. Looking forward to getting an SUV, more space for more kids, and easier to get in and out of.

>be baby
>Stuck in a roadtrip
>"Love muh redcar"
>Throw redcar to the back because baby reasons
>Cry because no car
>Mom hands you blue car
>"WANT MY RED FUCKING CAR REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" for 45min but the normies don't pull over

>posts full front crash test
oh boy look a test that every car since 1995 could pass with flying colors
NHTSA can suck a dick

Fucking big people are retarded.

I'm sick, and tired, and I just want to say I really like babies. And cars. Wish they were more compatible.

a lot of people In America think ride height= safer, which, while I'm not the one to say is or isnt, but I think it isnt. someone tell me if it is.

also in general people just dont want to drive wagons, sedans or minivans and honestly I can see why people would choose suvs and crossovers over minivans, because honestly minivans from the 2000s to until recently have looked just ugly and unappealing as fuck, like the dodge caravan from the early 2000s, that minivan let itself go.

though honestly I hope at some point suvs and more over crossovers just fall out of style because I cant stand good cars falling out of favor in light of more crossovers

baby better like my fuckin borla exhaust
>If not I'll know that child ain't mine.
>Would ask for diborce :DDDD

So picture not related? I don't see any SUVs here

What do you mean?

Manufacturers started pushing SUVs as family cars to skirt CAFE restrictions and Americans fell for the meme.
SUVs are like smartphones, people insist that life is unlivable without them but really they're a few useful features wrapped in a lot fluff and marketing.

>literally untrue

kek, stay mad carcuck

bump