What is the point of retractable spoiler?All it seems to do add is unnecessary weght in performance cars...

What is the point of retractable spoiler?All it seems to do add is unnecessary weght in performance cars.Ether have spoiler or don't,why even have this stupid "worst of two world"middle ground.

because active aero is the new buzzword they can charge you 5 figures for, duh

drag > weight

Because new road cars are status symbols, not racers. And since performance is conflated with status, the faster ones are loaded down with more luxury, prestige, and useless shit.

You can thank yourself and your fellow car enthusiasts for this. For every person who wants a bare-bones track weapon that was just comfy and spacious enough for regular driving there are fifty hard-drinking, prostitute-fucking muslims from dubai who want to flip a mechanical spoiler up while revving in place.

Buy old shit or buy a motorcycle*

*can't win here either. sportbikes used to be pretty comfy and have practical features like massive undertail storage, but because of all the kids buying them to LARP, and in the interest of saving 0.4lb of plastic, those days are gone. Not even the "regular" bikes have such shit anymore since the $750 luggage box outfit is now standard in biker culture again. Again, thank the market.

convenience in high performance. You can do top speed runs with it retracted where low drag matters and you can do some racing with it up where you need downforce, whereas without it you can do only one of either. Its kinda like a jack of all trades. also showoff in cars n coffee

They're really cool looking.

>a bare-bones track weapon that was just comfy and spacious enough for regular driving
as much as Veeky Forums loves to shit on it (and it does have faults), the Sciotabaru FR-Z 86 is basically this

maybe if it came with a 2GR-FSE

they're this generation's pop up lights
looks cool, not much benefit unless you are going high speed

the stock engine is definitely its worst flaw.

what I figured, leave it down when going slow for less drag, put it up if going fast so you grip the road better. But yeah, added weight probably undoes all of it so meh.

It's not really about grip it's about reducing lift at high speed which can cause you to lose control (see 1st-gen Audi TT)

You only really see them cars that are a certain shape, with long sloped rear decks, like an airplane wing.

Sorry, kind of what i meant and I should know better, I finally learned what spoilers were for after having a Miata, that think would want to take off like a plane at 100.... (But it needed a front spoiler, which I also didn't know was a thing) I just figured it was all Fast and Furious crap to make it look cool.

Congrats, that can be accomplished with a fixed spoiler.

Pop up spoilers only exist because they are cool. That's the long and short of it.

great job missing the point

whats hilarious is that they dont even fucking activate until you're over 60mph

or at least that's how the LFA worked in Forza so literally nobody in the real world would see any real need

Spoiler = downforce and increased drag
No spoiler = less downforce and less drag

So if you are going too slow for it to matter it goes away, if you are going fast enough for it to matter it gives downforce.

See
>What is the point of retractable spoiler?
This isn't aero general, it's literally a thread asking about a retractable spoiler.

Most cars have a button or button combination you can press to make them pop up at any speed.

>I don't understand it so it's stupid

>can have low drag or downforce whenever you need either
>keeps the lines of the car
>looks cool
What for reasons do you want?

Or just get a Ultima

I understand perfectly.

Friend, if the car isn't going fast enough to create significant downforce via the spoiler, the spoiler also isn't creating significant drag. Popping it up and dropping it down is just cool.

It's like you believe every part of a six figure plus ultra luxury sports car is purely 100% function and 0% form.

What is the point of an openable rear wing??All it seems to do add is unnecessary weght in performance cars.Ether have a rear wing or don't,why even have this stupid "worst of two world"middle ground.

Active aero you say?

Postin'

hot
not

>busriders will never know the feel of slicing through the air at warp speeds with maximum downforce, then the immense breaking power when it becomes an air brake

Spoilers are always a meme until you drive a car that needs it

buy a lotus and shut up

ironically Lotus has the best moveable aero

Is this all a troll?

Active aero has the benefit of low drag when needed (top end speed) and downforce when needed (mid - high speed) as well as some aesthetic advantages of a “sleek” look.

Who made this?

Ever drive a Boxster or Cayman at highway speeds with the fuse to the spoiler pulled out? The rear end wants to do its own thing

Dumb weeb

You must be retarded.

So you've never actually driven any car with active aero

Holy fucking shit you are retarded.

I've never once said that it was not functional when it's functional.

Also, popping up and down isn't "active aero", it's popping up and down. Active aero is changing the angle of attack of the wing to actively change the amount of downforce that it's created. This can easily be achieved without it popping up and going down. Look! Another retard like you who thinks that the wing popping up and down is "active aero" posted a gif of an f1 car using real active aero! Same for that Viper where the spoiler is airbraking. Notice what neither of those do? Pop up and down.

It pops up and down because popping up and down is cool.

>fixed wing
If active aero so good why are 911 GT2,gtr nismo don't have it?

I'm going to start calling my car's pop up lights "active lighting"

So popping a spoiler up isn't active aero despite the fact that it changes the airflow over the car?
And you were going in about how no one drives fast enough for active aero to be worth it. Maybe in Monaco where the average car travels at 5mph you have a point, bit in countries like Germany and America where people cruise at 80mph it does work

As for why one would want to hide the spoiler in the first place, it looks cool, literally that's it
These are sports cars, not economy cars. No one buys them to be practical

It's literally in its name: DRS or Drag Reduction System

You push the button in a long straight and it reduces drag so the car can achieve a higher speed at a faster rate, then when cornering it closes and you get down force again

3rd year Aerospace Engineering student here. I have decent conceptual understanding of aerodynamics, and I can tell you that active spoilers are a very good idea. First, most of them are drag reducing elements not drag/downforce inducing elements like everyone seems to think.

The biggest thing is dealing with grip/downforce and fuel economy. You might want a certain amount of downforce to keep the car stable at speed. Thing is, you might hit that number with the spoiler up while going 60mph. That means if you're going 120mph, that spoiler is going to be generating not only a shit ton of a drag, but also a lot of downforce on the rear of that car. That can cause the front end of the car to lift which gives your front wheels less control and can cause the car to flip in extreme cases.

More likely is that it's a drag reducing element. The spoiler on the AW11 generates zero downforce but it helps create vortices that help to eliminate the area of low pressure behind the vehicle that accounts for a large portion of drag. This means greater high speed stability, a higher top speed, and better MPGs.

The added weight is so minimal that's it almost doesn't matter.

>So popping a spoiler up isn't active aero despite the fact that it changes the airflow over the car?
Yes it does, but at lower speeds there's not enough airflow for it's effect to be anything but marginal.
>And you were going in about how no one drives fast enough for active aero to be worth it.
No /I/ wasn't.
>As for why one would want to hide the spoiler in the first place, it looks cool, literally that's it
These are sports cars, not economy cars. No one buys them to be practical
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS ENTIRE THREAD.

Now, I will admit to it being slightly on the spergy side to not consider the popping up and down active aero when as you so astutely pointed out it definitely technically is; however, that's just a marketing bullshit technicality. When considering the actual, noticeable function, most of these are just fixed spoilers because they only deploy to one fixed position. There's no active change when active change would be both noticeable and important.

interesting desu

Solid spoiler wins every time.

Not active if you have to manually turn it on or off.

because it just werks
been around since at least the 917k

>bare-bones track “”””weapon””””
>slower than a mini van

>tripfag
>Doesnt understand the most important aspect of a cars handling besides tyres chassis and suspension
so glad tripfag culture died

I fucking love it, popup lights added unnecessary weight as well.
It's mostly an aesthetic thing for sure, but some cars do allow you to have the spoiler retracted even at higher speeds, so you can actually make a decision.
Haven't driven anything current gen yet though.

They do make a difference. Also on my daily commute my cruising speed is 100mph, with me going well over that at times. Plus people who drive these kinda cars have the money for visiting the track, don't forget about that.

If I am entirely honest, actual performance cars are less fun on public roads than hooning your favorite sports car.
And that sports car does not have to be well optimized for the track at all, you just have to love driving it!

rip 370

always wanted one but ended up with a even fatter boat

he sleep
he woke

>europe

stay cucked

Aw dude, I love mine. Wouldn't trade it for much more expensive sports cars (maybe I would sell those and buy a new Z).
When I was 8 chilling in my dentist's waiting room with my father, I saw that magazine cover with a 350Z on it.
I just thought it looked so cool and got really determined to buy one later in my life.
Just as happy with the 370Z now.

What even fatter boat did you buy user? Are you having a great time at least? It's all about enjoying the hobby and having a blast with your car after all.

Sure mate, I do suffer heavily from living here. You cannot imagine how much I hate my life, I should better kill myself.

>being this jealous
sorry cleetus

Why bother even trying to educate the retarded?

so the policemens know ur speddin and will arest u and u go 2 jale 2 get butt pounded by tyrone and jamal at the SAME TIM

what is the beer supposed to signify? or are they just saying "look it can be used as a pickup truck"?

>;e ebin numbers on internet web page means you can take the car straight to track and start beating f1 cars
why are you even on this board if you know absolutely fuck all about cars

>import ban on cars because muh gm cant handle competition from superior outside brands
>muh commiefornia car dealers got together and basically banned all cars that dont pass inspections because you are not allowed to drive old cars
>muh safety standards responsible for t top being invented
>muh every road is straight
>muh either drag race or cone dodge
>muh track days costing 200 dollars an hour
>muh insurance prices
>muh everything is automatic
>muh get shitter versions of imported cars
sure sounds great being in cuckmerica, land of the oppressed

also
>oh you want to come and slowly dodge some safety wrapped cones in a safe space parking lot where hateful speech is banned?
>sure just get helmet, full roll cage, 6 point harness, bucket seat, hans and a parachute

Weird, more vortices usually means lower pressure and higher Re. I figured this would raise the point of flow separation or mitigate flow separation entirely to avoid drag

>1st Gen
>3rd Gen
>2nd Gen

My autism is displeased

Oh shit, you're right.
Thought it looks good with the three pipes in the middle.

Nah see unlike a wing which sweeps at the tail and helps the flow to rejoin, cars are big fucking blocks. So a wing is like diving into water, and a car is like bellyflopping. They have very different aerodynamic characteristics. This means that when a car moves forward, air needs to rush back into the place where the car just was. This isn't an issue with a wing.
Creating vorticies actually helps to "fill" that area up behind the car and reduce that sucking back caused by the area of low pressure. This is one of the main reasons LMP and F1 cars have these "tunnels" through the car and out the back. It can help increase downforce but it really just lowers drag by allowing air to easily flow into that pocket of low pressure.
Tractor Trails now have these things called Tractor Tails that stick out of the back of a trailer and angle in as they help the flow rejoin from all sides and mitigate that low pressure area. Another common thing with tractor trailers are vortex generators placed on the trailer around the rear that create flow speration and allow that air to move much easier into that area of low pressure. These vortex generators do create drag, however the amount of drag they reduce behind the vehicle is well worth the added drag, kind of like a supercharger; it takes power from the engine to run it, but you always get more power back.

Btw I do appreciate that you actually have some idea of what you're talking about and want to learn. Most of these numskulls have no fucking clue.

Air obeys the laws of fluid dynamics. Which means that air resistance is a cubic function. So if you double your speed, you get 8 times the wind resistance.
However a spoiler still produces drag. Therefore you would ideally like the spoiler to come up and provide a sufficient amount of downforce, and when that value is exceeded, to lower slightly.

It is necessary? Well, not entirely. But it can help with a higher top end without sacrificing downforce at moderate to high speeds.

>dem plates thou

Oh, so they're coherent rather than turbulent vortices that improve mixing and make the pressure field more homogeneous?

Boom beat me to it user.

Do you retards really not understand the most basic forms of mockery? Jesus Veeky Forums has gotten retarded

Active Aero is literally wings/spoilers popping up and down.

If no one gets it that means you suck at mockery

>literally copying word for word the OP and using a picture where movable aero is unquestionably a positive for lap time
>it's my fault you didn't get it

Next time try linking OP's post, you can do that by starting a line with 2 meme arrows and pasting the post number