If you knew the car's history, knew there wasn't any frame damage, and knew the car was mechanically fine...

If you knew the car's history, knew there wasn't any frame damage, and knew the car was mechanically fine, would you buy a salvaged car?

I like men

If it really was a good car and the price was really fucking cheap (a total steal), I'd pay for an extensive inspection, and only after I'd make my choice.

Of course, but if a car had a good frame and was in good mechanical condition, then why would it be put up for salvage?

Only if I got it for a great price, and knew I would run the wheels off it and never sell

Because at one point it was involved in an accident that an insurance company figured was worth more than repairing the vehicle

I would get it! Just remember you'll never sell it for what you may know it's worth because of the title's status and enjoy.

fuck no

Absolutely not.

Yes I would, and I did. Did the repairs myself and has been my dd for eight years.

Only as a cheap DD option. I wouldn't buy a salvaged "nice" car.

Yeah the one I'm looking at is pretty old, 2001.

The kind of car where a fender bender salvages the vehicle.

Don't buy anything like a BMW or Mercedes, stick to basic shit like Ferds and Toyoders.
And get it inspected privately. State inspections are just for basic road safety, they don't care about living with the car day to day.

I did. In 2003 I found a 98 Trans am, all interior options, flawless paint, salvage title with 40k miles for 9100 and bought it. The door had been replaced. Apart from the red paint I found under the black on the door years later I never saw, felt, or experienced anything that would make me think it was salvage title.

It now has over 300k miles on it.

>Don't buy anything like a BMW
fuggg I was looking at an e39 540

Homie, do yourself a favor, look up the price of some common part to replace like the water pump, radiator, or alternator for a few makes and models of vehicles. That'll give you an idea of how much it'll cost to fix the vehicles relative to each other (mechanics often charge around the cost of the part+cost of part in labor).

When I say cheap daily, I mean like Chevy Lumina-tier.
Buying a salvaged exotic/enthusiasts car is the path to heartbreak.

I've owned an e46 for many years and have mostly done my own maintenance. I also have a close friend who's a BMW mechanic and does work at cost for me, which is why I'm ok staying in the BMW family

>tfw always have lusted over the 540i

I maybe would, but wouldn't settle, I'd keep looking. Check forums and be willing to travel.

A car I owned get totaled. It needed a front bumper, fender, side door, rear door. Imagine a car scraped the two doors, so not much damage really. It was paint that totaled it. No stricture damage at all

Problem I noticed on another car that was repaired really well. After sitting in the sun for a few years, at a certain angle you could see it seem "off" a little in the drivers door and top of the fender. I'm guessing it was from the repair not lasting well. It was so hard to see since it was only at once angle, it actually looked like it was a dust.

>(mechanics often charge around the cost of the part+cost of part in labor
Just to add. German cars are designed to be, take off 50 items and the part fits no issue. Japanese cars, take off 3 items and squeeze your hand down the side and struggle but squeeze it in.

I'm not sure of others, but another thing to keep in mind.

Selling a car is totally pointless anyway unless it’s a Toyota/Honda or you’ve only owned it for less than a year

>this guy who wants to buy the tuned salvage title 540i
Cruisin for a bruisin my dude, get your wrenches and your anus ready

I would buy a salvage car that I didn't know anything about.
Drive it first.

>not lusting for an 850ci

those things you mentioned aren't even expensive

Watch out for the timing chain guides tho if it's a 540i

I've bought a ton of salvaged cars but it heavily depends on why it was salvaged. Water damage is an instant no-go but theft recovery or collision can be saved.

Good luck trying to sell the thing though; you're going to have to hold onto that car until it dies or take a huge loss on getting rid of it.