Why is insurance so fucking expensive?

>be me, UK user
>20y/o, held driving licence for a year
>My 1.3l Diesel Vauxhal Corsa shitbox which I pay £1700 a year in insurance on has a £800 insurance renewal thanks to 1 year no claims bonus
>can realistically afford £2k a year
>Want to upgrade to a classic car that drives nice and will teach me basic maintaince skills
>See '92 VW Corrado with the NA 1.8 16V for £3k
>Run an insurance quote
>cheapest is £6200 on a car with 130bhp

What the fuck is this shite? How does anyone under 25 afford to be a car enthusiast?

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803074334737?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=MX-3&postcode=se229ea&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=MAZDA&radius=1500&page=1
bbc.com/pidgin
telegraph.co.uk/insurance/car/the-five-cheapest-cars-for-teens-to-insure--and-what-they-actual/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Corrado
There's your problem, chavs love these things (as well as anything with a GTI, Sport or Type R badge) and they've wrecked fuckloads of them in the past, ruining the fun for everyone else

>UK

Anything similar you would recommend?

what's the coverage like over there?

In 'murica, you usually just have to do like $30/60k liability coverage, with no collision or comprehensive. That's how 18 year olds buy shitbox sportscars and pay $240 a year for shit insurance that will max out the second they doriftu into a telephone pole.

By not living in the UK.

Insurance on my rx8 is $1200 a year with a $100 renewal.

UK drivers are statistcally safer. Something is up with UK insurers. Perhaps the jews are behind this?

MX-3 maybe? Also based on their bread-and-butter shitbox, also came with optional 6 cylinder engine that sounds great. Often overlooked because of the MX-5.

>tfw Germany
>tfw similar to Murrika prices purely for liability but 7.5 million injury coverage and 1.12 million material coverage by law

Love the MX-3 but there's only 1 for sale on AutoTrader and my insurance quote is £4700

Mint one though

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803074334737?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=MX-3&postcode=se229ea&sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&make=MAZDA&radius=1500&page=1

Yeah that's an absolute beauty of an MX-3 right there.
Any more luck looking for MX-6s? Where I live they're pretty rare, but maybe the UK's different.

>be me
>be 20
>buy 500cc bike
>piggyback on parents insurance
>pay ~$180 ausbux a year for insurance
top kek

Won't count towards your own accident free history though, will it?

what do you mean? like if I have an accident, it goes in my history not my parents.

>tfw you pay $7 for a gallon of gas
>tfw you can't modify your car

>>tfw you can't modify your car
This is blatantly wrong, you need to pass an inspection to make sure your car isn't a death trap afterwards and there are plenty of officials willing to help you pass said inspection.

In my country your rates decrease by the year if you stay accident free. I'm down from around 600 bucks to around 450 bucks in my third year.

Last time I filled up with diesel was for $5.11 after VAT, theoretically $4.29 before VAT. Also you can buy 780 cui Cobras here, don't know what you're talking about.

>Something is up with UK insurers.
Lithuania here. Prices skyrocketed too. Last year paid 130 euros/year for family type insurance (father is main driver, me as additional driver). I've been to 2 accidents and in both of them I wasn't at fault. This year 230 euros for everything the same. One time prices were as high as ~300 euros. Mind you our average worker gets 400-500 euros after taxes. And I drive low powered '99 Golf. Pretty sad desu. And you'd think that power matters? Nope. I've tried different combinations of power outputs - difference is max like 30 euros. BMW automatically shoots up in price. If I were to pay insurance on my own - it's something 560 euros/year. That's literally what someone's whole car might cost. As mentioned above - people get ~500 euros/month. So basically you just need full month of work just to cover your shitbox's ass.

>>>>>>>>>>>inspections

because jews

>government makes insurance mandatory
>lets it only be run by private companies
>doesnt put any rules in place to keep it under control
>jews do anything they can to get every penny they can out of you and they get away with it because its mandatory

im convinced all insurance companies talk to each other and all set minimum rates so that nobody has a choice but to pay crazy amounts

thank fuck my mum is cool with me putting an mr2 on her insurance instead of mine, an mr2 even an na one would cost more money than there is in the world for a 21yo

Rx8 is basically built to fuck insurance companies
>what car are you driving
>nothing special, 1.3liter 4-door

I've always been puzzled when people told me their insurance companies calculate rates by displacement or number of doors. Around here they ask for your car model, purchase price, odometer reading, typical usage (private, part/part, commercial), annual mileage, parking situation and personal insurance history, and probably mix in the average history of other owners of the same vehicle as well.

Now. 15 years ago databases and computer data analysis weren't this advanced.

>Why is insurance so fucking expensive?
Lots of factors. One is the number of hit-and-run especially by people who had never put money into the insurance industry to begin with. That means the entire payout is a loss. Unlike if the hit-and-runner and victim cars were with the same insurance company. If so, even if it was hit-and-run, the company at least has the premiums from the perpetrator to reduce the overall loss.

>minimum rates so that nobody has a choice but to pay crazy amounts
GEICO does generate huge profits for Warren Buffett's instrument named Berkshre Hathaway. BH wholly owns Geico and makes a lot of money from it. BH also uses the float from Geico for added profitable deal-making.

So yes, there is a ton of profit out there. That means customers are clearly overpaying for Geico insurance by quite a bit.

>20y/o, held driving licence for a year
>wants classic chavmobile

yeah you're fucked big time mate. thank all the boy racers that total their corsas every 6 months for shitty insurance rates for bongmen below 25

put a parent on the policy as a named driver and you might save a bit that way

user how is it so fucking high? With one years no claims age 21 I was quoted £600 a year for an mx5, currently pay £800 but that's with loads of mods declared. Add your parents as named drivers but keep policy in your name if you haven't already because that will half it. Use comparison websites then call the cheapest three directly for quotes as that should save you £100 (admiral group companies will not reduce the price)

Stop living in London.

>tfw driving 200+ km/h regularly without breaking the law

They counted it as a 2.4l coupe for insurance when I looked at getting one (as in calculating the price that way, to balance the power Vs displacement) so it's not as cheap as you may hope. Also the apex seals meme.

>UK

yeah but if you're just a named driver on someone else's insurance policy, surely you wouldn't accumulate any years accident free bonuses because you don't have a plan in your name?

at least that's how it works in not so great britain

>be 21 y/o uk user and pass test
>first car is 1.2l ford fiesta rustbox
>best price is £800
>that's almost double what the car is worth.jpg
>be 22
>buy e46 320d
>best price is £1100
>be 23
>buy bugeye wrx
>best price is £1600

not a fan of this tax on fun

tfw you don't use obsolete volume units and 3.78 liters of gas is actually about 4.3 Euros. Which doesn't break the bank, because we don't drive gasoline guzzling cars as much, and we don't usually need to cover excessive distances with those cars like in murica. You driving through a state is like us driving through a country. So enjoy your pickup trucks to do your shopping, and keep telling yourself that you pay less for fuel.

>tfw

its because you live in a arabic shithole with retarded drivers that cant manage itself
East europe here with terrible drive culture.
My first car, midengined sporstcar and i paid 300 for half a year first time and now this year its 160eur.

thanks to lack of inspections stance exists.
Just saying.

>eastern european thinks he has the right to call other places shitholes
Your insurance is cheap because nobody would be able to pay for it if it was expensive.

what in the fuck?
you could buy those cars yearly for those prices?
just have no insurance...

Yeah.
Since I live in a shithole racing an entire day at track doing time attack costs 25-50 eur and only safety requirement, even for cabrio, is a helmet and fire extinguisher.

Oh and all the top companies who fabricate fia approved rollcages locally the price for a rollbar thats custom designed, fabricated, welded and installed is 350.
As long as youre not a braindead retard busrider neet youll earn plenty to be well off as a car guy.

>Being this jealous.

>just have no insurance...

>just break the law
Hello, Wayne.

>being jealous of countries who's only export is farmhands and toilet cleaners
And you arrive by the boatload. For someone who believes I should be jealous of Eastern Europe, you sure are eager to ditch it.

>Be Eastern European
>Be 26
>Insurance group maxed out
>Mfw for an Touareg R5 the insurance is 175 euros/year with a coverage of up to 1 million euros for bonus point-I mean dead people.
>When I was 20 I did pay 400 euros/year for a 1.2 litre Polo tho. Average salary in my country is 300 euros.

Stay mad that you pay 5 times the tax on a 1.2 Diesel Lupo, and you get arrested for owning butter knives.

Why would I be mad? Someone's got to clean my toilets.

With some insurers an older person with a good ncd listed as a second driver will being down the premium. Look into it.

>buying vagshit
>thinking its any good
you truly must be from a shit hole

>Stay mad that you pay 5 times the tax
We also earn 5 times the money, which was my point.

if you earned five times as much you wouldt be here complaning. Now go blow yourself up at a christmas market or something.

>fun

You mean risk

The two overlap to some degree.

The only complaining i've read in this thread is from strawmanning Vadimskis squealing about Muslims. Sorry that you drive a Lada and live in a concrete slab, mate.

Insurers don't care how much fun you have. Just how much of a financial risk you present.

What the fuck is your point, retard?

>The thread was literally made for complaining about insurance prices in the Great English Caliphate
>It's only strawmanning
Stay retarded, friend.

>its because you live in a arabic shithole with retarded drivers that cant manage itself
A perfectly factual comment and not a strawman in the slightest.

He is right you know. Try to actually read the thread and don't get triggered on every fact you see.

It could shock you to hear this, but you choosing to believe something you read on Veeky Forums doesn't make it true.

>brexit
yeah you retards sure know what youre doing lmao

This is why I live in New Hampshire.
No vehicle insurance mandate.
It simply isn't required.
My car is registered to an LLC I made too. It has a physical address of about a quarter acre. If anyone tries collect damages, they'll be shit out of luck.

Most people from here try to keep this a secret.

Why are you getting full comprehensive insurance just have 3rd party insurance you mongoloids.

>Oh no, I look foolish. Better completely change my entire argument.

This isn't an ">Americans" type thing.
Insurance is mandated in 49/50 states, you can't legally just have "no insurance" unless you live in the one state that doesn't mandate it.
The state that doesn't require it is New Hampshire.

Brexit out of that police state.

Thanks, will consume CNN from now on. Better keep your butter knife license in your pocket.

change address
change occupation
change where you park the vehicle over night
change social, domestic and commuting setting

>Something is up with UK insurers
They have had their revenue cut due to the world economic crash back in 2008. They get less return on their investments.
They also make huge payout for shit like whip lash. People know this and claim £5k medical compensation for fender benders.
The number of staged and false accidents has also increased as people cash in on massive claims for un-provable injuries.
The result is an increase in policy prices

Make sure you check the proper news site, the Pidgin one.
>bbc.com/pidgin

I am well aware that all but one US states require insurance. But it doesn't change the fact that he system is retardedly easy to cheat and realistically millions of Americans drive without insurance. Get insurance, get plates, cancel your insurance, it's as simple as that. Where I live insurances are obliged to notify the car registration agency about cancellations, and if you don't turn in your plates you'll get police tags on your plate combination for driving without insurance in case police patrols spot you, and eventually the police will come round to your home and pick up the plates in exchange for a hefty fine.

The point is your comment was shit and wrong.

Many sates have implemented that as well

I pay £280 to insure a Civic Type R fully comp. Just drive a slow car for a couple of years and earn some NCB. According to my renewal the average discount goes
1 year = 23%
2 year = 33%
3 year = 39%
4 year = 43%
5 year = 47%
6 year = 50%
7 year = 51%
8 year = 53%
9+ years = 58%

>Perhaps the jews are behind this?
I think you might be on to something

>£120 car
>£1700 insurance

welcome to britain

meanwhile ahmed gets his free merc gla on disability with free insurance and a house for his 8 kids and 3 wives

There's a difference between getting your news from a reliable source and treating a Veeky Forums meme as fact.

Oy vey!

wouldnt this mean US insurance would be just as bad though?

sounds retarded but full comp is usually about the same if not cheaper for young drivers, since people who want full comp tend to drive safer. that and some places simply wont do anything less than TPFT for young drivers

You can also reduce your premium by increasing your excess. Just don't crash.

so after 9 years OP will be paying £714 (plus inflation) for a 1.3 diesel corsa?
I think not

Your base renewal cost goes down with age and experience too, especially once you stop being in the 18-24 group. NCB adds a further discount.

I pay £780 for fully comp on a black edition A4 @ 25 with 3 years NCB

in a part of britain thats usually on fire

you must be doing something wrong senpai

You've got to play the system. Always get quotes to start as far in the future as possible. Add an older relative or two without any claims/accident history. Play about with the voluntary excess, highest isn't always cheapest. Also I find getting 3rd party only quotes are often more expensive than 3rd party fire and theft; presumably becasue only mongoloids are looking for 3rd party only in the first place. If you can play on your occupation without outright lying, then do it (I put myself down as a civil servant rather than what I do specifically). I can usually get my quotes down by at least a few hundred pounds by doing all of the above.

also to back this up I got my car insurance down by £30 this year, despite writing off my motorcycle inbetween renewals.

NCB is a nonsence. I don't even know what I have, I just make up a number. They can check that shit if they want.

Don't get such a shite car then?

Jesus what a piece of shit chav mobile.

Get a Fiesta like everyother drone that is young and has a car.

telegraph.co.uk/insurance/car/the-five-cheapest-cars-for-teens-to-insure--and-what-they-actual/

>Vauxhall’s flagship car, the Corsa, is the most popular vehicle among younger drivers – but they would save £400 if they picked a rival hatchback.

i'm 26 and my insurance is £500 for my first year, suck it and that's on a 75PS VW UP!

yep tweaking my job title knocked £100 off.

UP! is a decent car tho m8.

I paid £1000 for my first year in a shitty Rover 25, then got my Celica and paid £700, then £600 this year. Just don't live in a shit area and don't get a shit car.

Just fuck the police and drive without insurance.

Putting my name down as a 'health and safety officer' rather than what I really do saved me a few shekels.

The Corsa has to be one of the most crashed cars on the road. The Fiesta is probably second.

shit handles like a dream especially with the "sport" dampers