What is going on on this board

I've spent a day here and I'm wondering that the ratio of shills and samefags is. There are allegedly so many stupid people here it's incredible. Literally, incredible I mean one guy bought an altcoin and then has asked how to turn it to USD.

Wouldn't the most basic of logics say that he has to reverse the steps he had to make to get said altcoin in the first place? Aren't such people made up and obvious bait to lure others into investing into a certain altcoin? Aside from obvious propaganda pictures.

Help me out, I'm from KC and havent been to Veeky Forums in years. Pic unrelated

what altcoin are you interested in?
I suggest BitBay.

>this board is full of shills and retards
>help me out
My advise is not to get advise here.
Sometimes biz is right but in that case might as well go to bet 365.

I mean help me out with what your experience on this board is.

I usually manage quite well in filtering out bullshit information.

>this board is full of shills and retards

Do I get to pick which one I am?

I think I count as a retard.

Veeky Forums used to be a decent board. Over the last year the amount of frogposters spilling over from /r9k/ and /pol/ streadily increased, dragging the quality of posts down. Those are the naive NEETs falling prey to the autistic turbo-shills, although at least some of them are just roleplaying (which is impossible to tell apart).

Currently we have another problem, namely bitcoin and etherium being extremely volatile. Usually crypto shit is about a third of the board. Currently it's more like 80%. Don't take the last 3 days as representative for a normal weekend on Veeky Forums.

The general advice is, take everything on Veeky Forums with a grain of salt. We do have good threads and knowledgable people on very diverse business topics (real estate, stocks, marketing, start-ups, etc). But if you venture into the Robinhood thread or into the crypto threads you should increase the grain to a giant rock of salt. The people posting in those are usually just gambling and don't have a real clue about anything. Cryptos are especially susceptible to this, since there literally is nothing to predict their future development - they don't have fundamentals or indicators, they don't have utility, they're crazy volatile, etc. Even in hindsight nobody really knows why a coin did what it did (could be a Chinese announcement, could be a shift, could be a lawsuit, a hack, or simply because some guy felt like selling and it kicked-off a snowball).

Thank you for this post. I came here for the cryptos since my home board is not very interested in it and I had to be on reddit, where I couldn't even post and had to read utter shite as well.

However, I think btc (possibly) and eth do have solid fundamentals, but the price is nonetheless volatile.

Thanks again and 'praise kek', I guess!

>solid fundamentals

"Fundamentals" in this context is a technical term. If you want to find out whether a stock is undervalued, you would look at the fundamentals, eg the balance sheet of the company, the profits, the technologies they're currently developing, etc - basically the underlying facts that prop up the value of the stock.

Bitcoin is not based on anything. You can't look at fundamental data to decide whether the current price is warranted or not. You can't accurately predict how Bitcoin will be priced in a year, unlike with stocks where new products, planned lay-offs and stuff like that might give you a good indication where the stock is heading. It's good to keep this in mind when reading the shill and hype threads on here. Most of what is said there is about as rational as entrail reading.

>Veeky Forums used to be a decent board
Not really, no. It's always been dominated by cryptoshit, /pol/, "what do I do with $x?", and other garbage. Good threads and posters exist, but they are in the minority.

>Fundamentals
The fundamentals are solid for Monero.
The fundamentals are good for different reasons with Bitcoin.
The fundamentals are awful for Ethereum.
There exist no fundamentals at all for most alt coins.

I'm honestly trying to help here. I actually believe in these fundamentals to the point that shilling here (or even somewhere that mattered) will make no difference in the long term.

I would say that in the case of Bitcoin (not alts) the fact that it is being used to buy drugs on the internet makes it valuable. There is no better way to transmit value over the internet without the permission of banks. So far the only crypto to present a better alternative to Bitcoin for this purpose is Monero so that is why I also say Monero has fundamental value.

They are not stocks so obviously you determine their fundamentals differently.

>eg the balance sheet of the company, the profits, the technologies they're currently developing, etc - basically the underlying facts that prop up the value of the stock.

Why yes, bitcoin is the first and most popular cryptocoin and allows, for example, buying drugs over the internet and other shady stuff, aside from general tinfoilhattery. But it's suffering from those technical problems which will probably require a fork.

As far as I've heard, ethereum is very solid and even though the coin is disregarded by them, the adoption of its blockchain technology by major companies is a pretty damn good sign to me.

To me those two coins have more solid fundamentals than bullshit like facebook (I don't know if ads are still their major source of income), snapchat and other social media abominations, but then again people believe in different things.

>The fundamentals are awful for Ethereum.

Why?

Yes, ads are still the major source of income for Facebook. That's the thing though, social media (that has been successfully monetized anyway) actually generates revenue. Cryptoshit doesn't. If you want to talk about investing in a company that USES cryptoshit in order to generate revenue, then that's another story.

Until a full 'dejewisation' of the monetary sector will happen, these digital currencies will also have an inherent value because you can transfer money for next to no fees (aside from the aforementioned shady businesses and tinfoilhattery). Examples in ascending order from regular life:

A friend of mine from Austria pretty much doesn't have to pay fees at all for his banking business.
I happen to live in Germany and every time I withdraw money from a figuratively 'foreign' ATM from other banks I have to pay €5 per withdrawal or 2% depending on the amount, same with literally foreign banks. Thankfully exchange rates are truly fair.
My grandma lives in Romania and there's absolutely no way to transfer money across the border without having to pay horrifying fees, except for hard cash. I was fed up that she used Western Union to transfer money since they ask for a €8 fee on a €100 transaction, but after some research it turned out that it's indeed the cheapest option. Her bank, a 'normal' bank, is asking for even more fees.

Until such things exist, and mind you if they exist within the EU they sure as hell exist in the rest of the world, until such things exist these cryptocurrencies will have an inherent value because you can get rid of such shit.

Sure, it's still in its infancy and it'd be somewhat hard to get my grandma to buy bitcoins and send them to me, but I trust in the digitalisation and technological advancement which allows such things to become simpler with time.

After all, it's not like 'normal' companies don't crash or fluctuate in price. But at least I can see a valuable product in btc and eth which I don't at all in fb, snapchat and whatnot.

As far as I've heard Alphabay is going to adopt eth as well in a month or so.

I don't know, I think a lot of the early promises of Bitcoin have turned out to be rather empty. It looked really good for a few years there, but reality is starting to catch up to it.

>It's anonymous!
All major exchanges require government-issued ID and any transaction from those is stored publicly on the blockchain.

>The government can't get to you and you can buy drugs and shit!
Despite TOR and Bitcoin, the government got to Silkroad alright. If you buy drugs on the internet and pay with Bitcoin - how will the drugs get to you? And that's by far the biggest and most glaring weakness in the system. If you want to profit from Bitcoin, whatever you purchase with it has to physically reach your body. And how will the vendors enjoy their Bitcoin revenues? If they cash out into fiat there'll be a giant papertrail again.

>Fuck taxes! Fuck the government taking away our money!
Since a few days the IRS is suing Coinbase for literally all their user data with the potential to freeze accounts for missing tax payments.

>It technically sound and infinitely scalable! Decentralized peer-to-peer payments are the lightning fast future! Bitcoin will replace fiat in everyday payments!
No. The cryptography currently seems sound but the technical implementation is horrifically bad. Bitcoin is nowhere near mainstream and already confirmations take hours and cost substantial fees. And the whole system depends on giant centralized mining pools.

>But it was the first and has amazing brand recognition!
Yeah, it's also about to hardfork into two branches named "Bitcoin" which will go over really nicely with people who have no idea about cryptos and are asked to put money into them.

this board is terrible. there is no barrier to entry to posting here.

there are some legit biz owners here but mostly not and we are vastly outnumbered by idiots

The USD or GBP doesn't generate revenue and neither does gold, but people still buy sell on forex markets and buy and sell commodities.

It is still investing, or speculating rather, but companies shares are also largely speculative too, just take a look at the pharmaceutical stocks.

you're just not used to lookiing at the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies because you don't know anything about it.

>these digital currencies will also have an inherent value
Leaving aside the fact that this applies to the sector as a whole and not any particular coin, just because something has "inherent" value doesn't mean you want to be holding it. There's also a difference between using cryptoshit and holding cryptoshit.
>it's not like 'normal' companies don't crash or fluctuate in price
Cryptoshit coins aren't companies at all. Again, they do not generate revenue. Buying coins and buying company stock are fundamentally different. You could try to make a case that the business model behind something like facebook is flawed, but it's still apples and oranges when comparing it to crypto.

>The USD or GBP doesn't generate revenue and neither does gold, but people still buy sell on forex markets and buy and sell commodities.
>or speculating rather
I agree, it's speculating. If you want to speculate, then go for it.
>companies shares are also largely speculative too
You can speculate on stock, but it is indeed possible to invest in stock as well.
>you're just not used to lookiing at the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies because you don't know anything about it.
Then the people on this board who talk about it don't know anything about it either.

>/pol/

Hey guys... "DRUMPF"!

*giggles*

eth has no solid fundamental.
the ethers aren't worth anything. that "ether is the fuel of blockchain applications" is a meme that addresses non cs degree normies and teenagers who think they're "crypto experts" because they have a basic understanding of bitcoin. The whole thing is a pump n dump lose your shekels meme. It's literally buzzword bingo (blockchain, proof of stake comming, crypto currency of the future, ...) and shills. the number of threads shilling crypto is to damn high at this point.

>All major exchanges require government-issued ID and any transaction from those is stored publicly on the blockchain.

You can obfuscate your bitcoins and while technically possible, it'd be a major pain in the ass for the police to trace you and it's certainly not worth it for them if you're not a major drug dealer.

>Despite TOR and Bitcoin, the government got to Silkroad alright.

It was entirely the fault of its founder who somehow revealed himself.

>And that's by far the biggest and most glaring weakness in the system.

I've heard other things about other countries, but in Germany privacy is extremely important and its illegal to just search your home if a letter with drugs is sent to you - anyone could send you drugs after all. They'd need proof that it was you and then the technical part / inability of the police above applies. There's the possibility of a mailman asking you to sign that you've received a letter, but you can politely refuse if you know that it's your drugs. Bad luck in that case and I've never heard of it happening.

A friend of mine got called to court for allegedly buying drugs from the internet but they couldn't prove anything so they've dropped the case.

>Fuck taxes! Fuck the government taking away our money!

Well that applies for making a living out of bitcoin I guess, which most don't. Also very American / libertarian.

>The cryptography currently seems sound but the technical implementation is horrifically bad. Bitcoin is nowhere near mainstream and already confirmations take hours and cost substantial fees.

That's why etherium is surging.

>Yeah, it's also about to hardfork into two branches named "Bitcoin"

We don't know yet, maybe the vast majority will join the fork.

>There's also a difference between using cryptoshit and holding cryptoshit.

I know holding coins is speculation, but so is buying stocks because minor bullshit can cause prices to fluctuate heavily. If I had money, I had had bought VW stocks after that ridiculous 'scandal' because it's such a minor issue which had caused a great panic.

>eth has no solid fundamental.

It could replace bitcoin and serious companies using ethereum blockchain would possibly give the average joe more trust to use that digital currency over others.

But yes, obviously it could crash anytime to $0.01, but I don't think so. Why would it? It's even a hobby for many people.

only the best advice on this board man.. Ive always thought this was the best investing forum.. I once made 100% ROI in one day because of Veeky Forums. Thanks Veeky Forums

>the people on this board who talk about it don't know anything about it either
yes because this board is for shitposting. you think people buy things willy nilly? no. we don't want to lose money just like you don't, we put as much effort in to analysing cryptocurrencies as you do in to analysing stocks. we just look at different things.

t. nocoiner

>you think people buy things willy nilly?
Do you want an honest answer to that question?

The "technical problems" that you mention for bitcoin stem directly from
the fact that decentralized systems are expensive and scaling them canbe contentious because of this. The real costs of using a blockchain aremuch more expensive than the costs of transmitting money for banks. The
main reason banks are able to jew you is probably a lack of competition caused by government regulations. A decentralized currency will preventgovernments from regulating things excessively and allow morecompetition for financial things but transactions on the base chain of ablockchain are not cheap compared to centralized systems so don't thinkof that as their main selling point.

The main point of decentralized currencies is a digital currency thatyou can spend without permission and can't be shut down. This comes at a price which is the inefficiency of blockchains.

The point of monero is to take decentralized currencyand make it private. This also comes at a cost, making transactions evenmore expensive in real terms. The point is this privacy is very important for people who are doing illegal things like buying drugs (which was the point of bitcoin in the first place). Monero has the same ethos that Bitcoin did originally and actually provides real privacy,not pretend privacy like Dash for example.

Ethereum has many problems but I'll show you some related to the above. Blockchains are very expensive even for passing simple messages like transaction data but ethereum wants to run whole applications on a blockchain. The scaling problems here eclipse Bitcoins by a long way.

Mainstream company adoption should really be a red flag. Firstly permishionless currencies are trying to take the game away from banks,they are not allies. Second these companies intend to run their ownblockchains based on eth's technology meaning the Eth token would notgain any value but the companies are only memeing anyway.

There's no reason to use eth on AB.

Fucking legit.

>muh ETH samefagging...

Seriously fucking sick of it. Pic very related

Yup.

Fuckoff samefag shitcoiner shill. Leave!

Are these people for real?! Come on guys, what the fuck?

It's called a.i. Chat bots

You cannot defeat the Jews though so you might as well join them therefore etherium to the moon

Lebuktál.

Szerusz

Anyone talking about buying retard coins is just a shill trying to peddle the coins they own so they go up in value.

Just ignore them.

It's not them, it's about people falling for random shitcoins and things like Are my standards too high? Am I not used to Americans anymore?

That's just good humor. Like this post

How about this? I thought it's really funny.

This guy thought so too

That's me though.

But I'm not sure the guy who seemingly replied in a serious fashion did so as well.

Someone browsing Veeky Forums since m**t created it here

It was a good board. Until the coin kids infested it and turned it into a shill central for their own coin. Here's how it goes:

>You're a kid who can't open a proper brokerage account and trade stocks
>So you ask mom and buy some coin
>You proceed to hold it like a fucking retard
>You realize that the more people buy it, the higher its price goes
>You proceed to come here and waste the entire day after school to shill your autistic coin
>The shilling baits more kids into buying the coin and shitting up the board
>Repeat the above for a long enough time and you'll have unironical threads like this one being spammed daily

Well I guess BitBay has pajeet shills. Like the other guy said, best you can do is ignore them.

How could you tell that the pajeet shill is real but the dumb American isn't?

I only read that major companies are interested on pro eth sites. but even if it's true, the companies could copy the system. why should they buy the fuel?

Experience I guess? Going back through the pajeet shills posts I can confirm he is a shill. The American, it's funny. Part of what makes it funny might even be the chance that it's real. But it's not, come on.

That was me putting on a pajeet style of talking for shits and giggles. you're a guillable goy aren't you. pop pop ding ding 2.99

read this
you fag. now buy bitbay it's vary very excellent your excellency popadom peshwari naan for sale at 2.99 fucking dumb goy.

Yeah I knew, it was in fact the only bitbay post in that fashion and I've seen a lot of them past night. Very nice, made me laugh!

However, what about all those 'lol how do i buy bitcoins / i have money on coinbase pls halp how to get bitcoins / i have bitcoins on bittrex how do I get altcoins lol / i have altcoin how do i turn them into dollars senpai / this coin is stalling now but I'm gonna go in lads am i doing it rite?? pls halp' people?

You're still a dirty shill you filthy like. Stop shitting up Veeky Forums.

i expect that is genuine clueless newfags that want hand holding through the process because they are fucking manchild millenials who can't even be fucked to read anything for more than 3 minutes at a time.

what is that terrible phone. no one wants to see screenshots from it.

you are the kind of scum that should gtfo Veeky Forums altogether. how long have you been here? 4 months? get the fuck out and go back to facebook you normie goy.

If you're the one complaining about shilling, then we're all united from that screenshot here in this thread. :3

So.... where do I sign up for shilling the next pivx? If there are still dumb kiddos like that pouring in after countless shitcoins there seems to be an infinite supply of them!

this board is for one thing and one thing only:

realize that a good portion of your competition in financial industries is similar to this board. they do not grasp any fundamental principles of economics, finance, or management. they have no quantitative skills.

so be more confident in your work because youre competing with some idiots

Here's another one, faggot.

I like to think of Veeky Forums as smart people acting like total retards. Occasionally there's some really good ideas and insightful posts that you wouldn't see anywhere else. Unfortunately recently there's been way to much Crypto currency posts because the actual autists lucked out getting their meme money to rise several hundred percent and now won't shut up.

what am i looking at here?

a screenshot of a thread?

well thats what happens when you visit the cryptocurrency forum mate.

This is our home. we keep it in Veeky Forums if we aren't allowed to post in Veeky Forums we will shit up /g/ and /pol/ and that IS a threat

Man, shills are shills BUT THAT GUY ASKING HOW TO BUY PIVX WITH ETH BECAUSE IT'S ONLY POSSIBLE WITH BTC JESUS MOTHER OF GOD

You're looking at your posts highlighted. Don't pretend you don't recognize them you slimy pajeet imitating jewish shill fuck.

Jesus, it's hard to feel sorry for the idiots that get caught up in the shill shit fest. Honestly if it wasn't for them there would be a lot less shilling.

Yes, no one likes shilling.

yes, and so what? do you think I don't know there are ID's here? Do you think anyone cares? if you don't like threads don't open them and read them.

go and have a bacon sandwich goy

lmao yep i know this exact feel

Here is you itt
>I was just trolling huuurrr
But with a quick look at your posts in the other thread you are clearly a semi-dedicated shill. The only reason I was in that thread was to see if your pajeet post was shilling. It was actually funny except for the fact that it was, at its core serious as shown by the rest of your posts.

The way shills deflect is amazing.