I got fired from my job as a mechanic today

I got fired from my job as a mechanic today.

>older customer brought in 1971 Challenger for some restoration work
>wanted new quarter panels, a new fender bottom, a new rocker panel and some other little spots welded in
>shop quote came in at $6,500 after $1,500 in parts which I thought was high, our shop doesn't like classics because they always take more time and are finicky, thought of it as a "go away" price
>he got talking to me as I showed him everything we'd have to do and what problems may arise
>recognized him from a few car shows, we got talking about my car a 1972 Chevelle project
>asked me for my personal number because he has some parts I need
>usually don't give out my number, but I've been looking everywhere for oem wheels, trim pieces and a 4 speed center console so I don't hesitate
>he calls back, offers me a slew of parts to do the Challenger job inside of his garage
>spend the next 4 weekends over there, welding for him
>finish up, get my parts, feels good
>later boss calls me into his office
>shows me the old guy's facebook with the work done
>says he heard through a friend that I may have been the one to do it
>asks if I know anything about it
>I don't lie, I admit I did it in exchange for parts, that this was a special exception
>he gives me a warning never to do it again, states I was stealing customers from the shop even though we're booked up and he didn't want it
>last Friday calls me into his office again, states that he can't trust me anymore and it's best that I work elsewhere
>still wants me to work until the end of next week because I have half finished projects

Who was in the wrong here?

Attached: 1469495300385.jpg (722x349, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0jG5Q-EZHRE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tell him to fuck off, you're not gonna do any more work for him. Tell those last couple projects you'll do it in their garage for half off.

You were. You stole business from your boss, making you a competitor.

Your boss is a moneygrubbing jew piece of shit.
Please kill him

Attached: ddc.gif (501x585, 11K)

Listen to this guy, sounds to me like he’s gonna be losing a damn good worker
Also start looking at other places immediately

Co-workers do that all the time but for relatives, friends and family members on weekends at the shop. Boss doesn't mind it too much as long as the used materials are paid for but you can't do it all the time. Working on your own car is fine but if I'd bring in someone else's wheels every weekend, I'd be in trouble too.

Shouldn't beat yourself too much about it, your boss was just mad that he couldn't make that sweet dough and if he see's justified firing you over something you did in private, then he was probably planing to replace you to begin with. Your situation just came in handy to justify your unemployment.

Your boss, You didn't sign a non-compete contract with him, so fuck him.

Honestly I'd look into getting a lawyer that could be grounds for a suit.

This is the only shop I've ever worked at full time since my post secondary. I'm hoping I can still do my last bit of work here and leave on good terms so I have a decent reference after 4 years.

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree. But this cheap old retired guy had no interest in our quote. He even had one for $1200 less from a competitor that does good work that he didn't go with due to his budget.

I think he actually looked me up and brought it to the shop to personally speak to me because I've done work for another person in the car club he's a part of a few years back.

Sounds like your boss thinks he owns your free time, I would talk to a few friends who know the law better then me and slap him with a wrongful termination suit, granted doing that kind of thing gives you a reputation that might make people not hire you, so your other option is go to his competition and get a job there. I wouldn't finish the rest of the work though

I don't agree with your dismissal at all, but I can see where your boss was coming from. I'd look elsewhere, or go into business for yourself.

>still wants me to work until the end of next week
No he warned you, then doubled back calling you untrustworthy and fired you. I wouldn’t work another minute for the guy

>but I can see where your boss was coming from

Literally tactics like that under a no-contract employment are shitty at best, and criminal at worst in some states.

Only businesses whom are into screwing their customers over operate like that.

kek merica

such shit employee laws and rights. its hilarious.

Before you lawyer up, are you in a right to work state?

On paper, if in his version - he didn't fire you for doing outside work, he fired you because he felt he couldn't trust you, he might be able to weasel out of that.

>No he warned you, then doubled back calling you untrustworthy and fired you. I wouldn’t work another minute for the guy

this guy is right.

"you don't trust me, but you trust me enough to finish the projects because...
becauseee.... you trust me enough to finish the projects, but you don't trust me enough to finish projects - not past this week...
that means...
hold on...
carry the 2...

Attached: 1518316313693.jpg (425x283, 23K)

Thought just occurred to me, OP, that guy who has projects at home AND projects at that garage, might know of other places to apply to.

If you're talented enough and personable enough to get clients and do good jobs, you're going to be able to be a difference maker elsewhere.

Attached: 1519615887659.png (500x362, 44K)

tl;dr incoming

I am going to play Devil's advocate without trying to ruffle any feathers.
The facts:
>you became acquainted with the old guy when he came to a shop that you work at and requested a quote on restoration work
>he turned down the quote
fast forward
>you did some restoration work in exchange for parts for your own projects as a mutual car restoration enthusiast

If one reads just after the "fast forward," it's all fine and dandy; however, the environment that you two met in makes it muddy in the shop-owner's eyes.

Consider the following situation of a shady mechanic (and what your boss fears):
>make $20/hr
>billing rate is $100/hr
Sorry if the ## are off, but the example will still function with legit values
>old stingy potential customer comes in to get a quote on a project that is labor-intense
>20 estimated man-hours is $2,000 quote for the customer at the shop
>the customer is a bit iffy and says he will think about it
>as a shady mechanic making only $400 for that work, he catches the potential customer outside and they work a deal where the mechanic will come over off-the-clock on the weekend with his own tools and do the job for $1,200 cash and some beers in his garage

In this case, the customer saves $800, the mechanic makes an extra $800, but the shop loses a potential $1600 ($2000-800 labor)
Even without a non-compete or anti-moonlighting clause, if the boss catches wind of this, he won't be happy about someone (potentially) taking business from him from within his own shop.

I don't think OP is a bad guy because his motive isn't to steal business and it isn't a thing he regularly does. --- However, I don't think his boss' fears are totally unjustified, either. I think he is quick to pull the plug on anything that could be sketchy, even if the truth isn't.
It's a sucky situation because OP is losing his job and the boss feels he needs to fire a loyal mechanic.

As for the legality, that depends on your state.

>You're fired for taking the work I didn't want
>also could you finish all this shit before you go?

He's a fag for firing you for that. But you should have gone to him first before taking the job and smoothed it over.

Attached: 1516049674519.jpg (493x449, 43K)

True, that's why you talk to lawyers before doing things

Reminds me of youtube.com/watch?v=0jG5Q-EZHRE

>you're fired user!
>... b-but can you come in and finish some work?

Ask if you are being fired. If he says yes, moonwalk the fuck out of there and call the Department of Labor and tell them you were unjustly terminated. After that, give your local news outfit and tell them your boss was spying on you and fired you for doing work for a friend. This is a criminal hiring practice, and if he's firing you you're not gonna get unemployment or a good reference from him.

In case this was not clear if you are being fired DO NOT GO BACK TO WORK, CALL A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY AND FIND OUT WHAT YOUR RIGHTS ARE

I'm going to side with you OP there was no guarantee that customer was going to accept that quote and leave it at the shop as you told us he didn't like the price the shop wasn't going to make money anyways if he's firing you then you can tell him to suck a dick and start competing with him you'll make more money and he loses

t h i s
h
i
s

Start a mobile mechanic business and fix old people shitboxes in their garages full time

As pretty much everyone else has said, call up a labor attorney. The customer refused the quote from the shop. You're not stealing customers, you're spending your free time as you see damn well fit. Don't finish your projects. Let him clean up the mess.

Never trust a boomer

how are you leaving on good terms? he's FIRING you because he sees you as competition. he's gonna talk so much shit on you. take a trailer there in the morning and load up all your shit. shops always need mechanics and if you were good then it's his loss.

I would read over your employment contract. My employer (not a mechanic) has rules about social media (basically don't affiliate yourself as a company representative, don't talk shit about your coworkers, or do anything that can potentially make the employer look bad) but they don't have control over what I do in my free time. Good news for you is that the restoration work can look good as to your abilities and they'll understand that your previous boss was a shithead.

Call him a faggot and steal his pen

cringe dude

seriously do this OP. you want to get ahead in this world? this is the way to do it. it sounds like you are a good mechanic and are a decent people person. you could build your own network of customers and do service calls for them.

fucking listen to me OP. you don't want to be a wage slave the rest of your life right? your shop was about to charge that man $6,500. wouldn't it be nice if you could charge people that much and keep ALL OF IT (minus overhead expenses of course).

take the dive OP. start your own business/shop. you won't regret it, I promise.

>I don't work for you, you work for me

Slap his ass to assert dominance

Yeah fuck that, wheel your shit out and tell him to fuck off.

>I am going to play Devil's advocate
Good because his boss is the devil
>without trying to ruffle any feathers.
You're gonna fail because the boss is in the wrong.
>Consider the following situation of a shady mechanic (and what your boss fears):
Yeah I'm sure that keeps his fat jew ass up in a cold sweat at night...

Attached: uCrEF6s.gif (400x225, 1.82M)

My uncle did this and it turned out great for him. Got pissed off at his boss, started his own shop. Eventually he started moving so many parts that he couldn't keep up with the repairs. Got into the business of selling parts and was a great success, he's sort of the god father of the auto parts franchise. Ended up being a much better businessman than mechanic, even though some of his projects were amazing.

Might have heard of him, started a little business called Autozone.

same thing happens in the electrical industry...
if you work for a smaller shop they dont need you taking work away from them, especially potential customers that walk through their doors.
With my line of work the jobs are so big that there is no way to steal steal the jobs out from under them, my boss would probably pull the permits needed for small jobs for me.

>started a little business called Autozone
yyeah fuckin right mister

Attached: 1497939997622.jpg (457x480, 26K)

Coddington was a piece of shit by all accounts. Neither him nor Foose could've designed their way out of a paper bag.

Fpbp
Your boss is a cunt

>>still wants me to work until the end of next week because I have half finished projects
Your boss obviously is a fucktard

just march out of there fuck giving them til lthe end of the week

Your boss.

Unless you signed something saying you wouldn't take on side jobs, you could sue him for wrongful dismissal. Get the guy whose car you fixed to say that he was never going to use your boss' shop because the quote was too high.

1970s
Originally a division of Memphis-based wholesale grocer Malone & Hyde, the company was known as Auto Shack. After the sale of the grocery operation to the Fleming Companies of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, the name of the company was changed to AutoZone to reflect the new focus and to settle a lawsuit brought by Tandy Corporation for infringing on Tandy's "Radio Shack" trademark.[2]

On July 4, 1979, the first store opened in Forrest City, Arkansas[3] under the name of Auto Shack.[4] Doc Crain was the store's first manager. Sales that first day totaled $300.00.

>user's uncle founded Malone & Hyde?

He actually founded Nintendo and then Malone & Hyde. Funny story, Mr. Malone's grandson is actually Post Malone.

You were wrong. You can't work at a place and then do competing business on the side. Yard work for beer is one thing, but substantial skilled work for someone who actually came into the shop as a prospective customer, and getting paid in hundreds of dollars worth of parts is another. It's not illegal but most employers have policies saying they'll fire you for that and your boss was completely within his rights, as common sense goes.
If you want to do professional work without your boss involved taking a cut, don't work for a body shop. Make your own business.

>liability

What liability?

The kind that people will sue you for over minor bullshit, if you aren't insured or have incorporated a business.

>Land of the freeeee

yeah i cringe when i see shit like this happen too

fuck that

>Land of the freeeee
Yep, pretty much the embodiment thereof.

Anyone can sue anybody for anything. It doesn't get any freer than that.

It's a sue or get sued country. Wild west out here with the courts, gotta be quick on the draw.

Op listen to this guy
You didn't have a non compete clause and it sounds like your boss didn't want that job anyways
If you have the skills go work somewhere else or for yourself for a while until you can find a better job

That is not true man where I work I don't have a non compete clause so I do side work for triple the hourly rate all the time. There are some limitations but still

>free at the mercy of arbitrary judge

>Tell those last couple projects you'll do it in their garage for half off.

Attached: 1344770138558.jpg (400x300, 136K)

Obviously file for unemployment, but beyond that, unless you are in some special extra-fair state...

You are "at-will"

Google it, pretty much means you can come and go as you please and they can fire and hire as they please

>you won't regret it, I promise
Ew, bait.

If you got that side work trough someone else's garage then you ard in the wrong.

If you got the work independently yhen there shouldn't be a problem.

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

He was looking for a reason to fire you and just waiting for the right opportunity, it seems. If you were valuable to him, he would have stopped after the warning.

the best advice you can get is to not seek advice from fucking Veeky Forums of all places, jesus christ are you fucking retarded or what

You were in the wrong because you made this contact through the shop you worked at. It's not illegal, but if you do side jobs like that, you DO NOT fucking talk about it (you dummy) because it may be unethical (or perceived as unethical) in some situations.

Lawyer up and take him to court for wrongful termination. You’ll win too.

OK cool can you post OP'S contract so that the rest of us can read it

Still wrong. It is considered illegal only in the moment that you have a side gig in the same area of activity AND you steal actual customers from your job. Like contacting yourself all the customers from the database and offering them lower prices or whatever. That is illegal.

From what OP says (apart from sucking dick) is that he got contacted by one of the customers that refused the initial deal and thought to contact OP afterwards. Still ethically debatable, but not illegal.

Damn son, your boss really did want to fire you and hated you out of his guts.
If I were your boss, I would've plastered those pictures all over Facebook and make a video about you and how you restored the Challenger.
I would talk about the Challenger as a classic car, and have you talk about the restoration process.
Having one of my employees doing a classic car restoration, all by himself, in a garage, with connections to the car shows? From a marketing point of view, you son are a gold mine. And man would I market your skills so that I would improve my shop's image aswell as yours. It's incredible what you did. Firing someone like you would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

If you ever plan on visiting Europe, give me a call, I got a few friends that would love to have someone like you on their crew.

Can you show me some pics? Thank you.

Attached: 1515289640964.jpg (1000x667, 277K)

Sounds like you've got a reputation as a guy who does good work for a fair price. Now would be a good time to think about being your own boss. Have the Challenger gut spread your name around to the other classic car owners you know. Reach out to other people you've done work for at your job. Could be a blessing in disguise.

Electrician's apprentice waiting for a union opening here, not the same field but maybe I can weigh in. I work for a dickhead who runs a skeleton crew, regularly refuses to pay overtime after we work it, and makes us run personal errands for him on our time. Your boss sounds like he's a dickhead. Move on, get out, find a larger shop or start your own baby shop and grow it man. Fuck working for lazy and greedy old men.