Slip the clutch into 1st

how the hell do you get this fucker moving. i have to slip the clutch for like 2 whole seconds at 2k rpm just to make sure i don't stall. i feel like imma burn the clutch. i've also been adding a touch of gas to my upshift to 2nd right at the bite point so it isn't so jerky. this beast is a hell of a ride, just wish i could tame it better boys. any tips? i got downshift revmatching down. that's easier than neutral to first. i've owned it for a little over a week and have only driven stick that long.

Attached: 2018sti.jpg (1280x720, 111K)

turn off hill assist. adding gas on upshift makes literally no sense

you shouldve bought it in 2017 for tax break

source: i own a 2018 sti

Should have had mommy teach you to drive stick before she bought you a car

bought it with my own money.

I have a 14 and it needs a fair bit of gas to get moving as I'm feathering the clutch. Don't add gas on the upshift. If anything, you do that while on the downshift.

Attached: 11221815_10205560392102950_1128281880895666116_o.jpg (2048x1536, 636K)

I have no idea how to drive stick but im excited, my first manual. Gumma wait until it gets nice up here untill i start driving.

Attached: 20180203_202824.jpg (2709x1250, 1.99M)

You spelled mommy wrong

Just keep practising and one day it will all come together

Car has a dogshit transmission,My Geo Metro shifts nicer. Can't wait to sell my 2017 WRX

ur gonna burn your clutch 100%

IDK why the WRX is like this. I drove one a buddy of mine owns. It's like a 2003. I have to rev it and roast the clutch or I stall the shit.

My old 1990 legacy wagon I could take off by doing just a little rev to like 1500 and slipping it a little bit. I could even just slowly release the clutch and give it a little throttle while holding the RPMs at 1000.

I'm not sure. I didn't really take note, but I'm guessing these cars just have a really long first gear.

call the fucken tow truck again...

give like 8-10% throttle going into first. start coming up with the clutch as soon as you get on the throttle. come up slowly only until the catch then release quickly and wait until clutch is completely released before giving it any more throttle. you can't really feel the catch so you'll just have to drive it a lot to figure out where it is. on upshifts, you don't give any gas until after the catch but if you wait too long, even with the rev hang, you will get drivetrain shock as the car will flatten out/engine will have to catch up to itself upon release. its just like driving any other manual except you have much less forgiveness. my guess is you're not going to fuck your clutch up unless you repeatedly giving 50% or more throttle and slowly releasing the clutch even after the catch. this isn't like driving a RWD.

yeah you should sell your car to someone who wants it so they can get a good deal. but make sure to swap the clutch first because if you can't manage to drive a WRX you shouldn't be driving manual at all. The car doesn't drive you, you drive the car. Unfortunately, you're just no fucking good at it.

Have you driven a WRX? You really have to burn the clutch to get it going. I stalled my friends WRX twice trying to set off like I was in my old Subi

(you)

Attached: 1512357194812.jpg (112x125, 3K)

I own a GC8 wrx, can take off without gas, just using the clutch. Suck shit fag

But in all seriousness release it slower

We have an '03 wrx which doesn't have that problem at all. Can reverse uphill by feathering the clutch just fine.

>GC8

I'm betting the first gear ratio is a lot shorter in that car. Taking off in my Legacy was easy. I could do it at idle if I wanted to go super slow and it wasn't hard. The WRX I drove required me to rev it up more than I really wanted to

>reverse
>that's not first gear?

I literally haven't tried reverse in a WRX.

I need to clarify that I was driving this WRX in the snow both times because she likes it when I drift. That probably made it a little harder to set off. Still, they need some RPM.

just rev it and dump it.
it's supposed to be a rally car right?

Can do the same in first, obviously. They're very easy cars to drive.

Apply throttle as you release. It's seriously that easy. Too little and it bogs. Too much and it lurches. You should take more than a second to be in gear. I've driven a 15+ wrx for a while it's not hard

Well first of all, the transmission has to send torque to all 4 wheels all at the same time so it's going to be slightly more difficult to begin with.

Secondly, the WRX throttle mapping is ridiculous so you can easily find yourself revving way higher than you intended.

I drive a WRX in Chicago = neutral to first literally every 3-5 seconds sometimes. It's not that bad even in stop and go traffic. I can get it going with just the clutch, no problem - it's just slow to do it that way so I add a bit of throttle.

The manual Saab I had before this was a piece of cake, I had like a 1000rpm of leeway for shifting regardless of which gear I was in so I just shift and jam it in and it works. The WRX is much more temperamental - 1st and 2nd aren't smooth unless you're actually paying attention to what you're doing.

Someone who actually drives a wrx oh my god. Saves the shitpost thread. No one in here actually drives or has driven a wrx just faggots who think this shits funny

....I've driven a WRX. They're weird.

Yeah, because they're also like the only mechanical AWD cars with manual transmissions left on the fucking planet. Everyone else has some kind of fucked up haldex or computer controlled system mated to an automatic tranny that just calculates and does stuff according to inputs and driving conditions.

>subiefag damage control

I've got a my16, it takes a long, long time to get used to the car. I've driven a few different meme machines, like a JDM S15 cranked up to 300hp, evo 8, 911 turbo and some less impressive ones, and literally none of them hold a candle to how fucking finicky driving the STi is. It's unforgiving and rough as bags unless you have perfect clutch and acceleration control, something subaru decided to say fuck you about by making the clutch biting point so FUCKING HIGH. It's very counter-intuitive having to control your revs so perfectly and keep your right foot low while lifting the clutch so damn high. It doesn't make sense in your brain doing the 2 things so differently, so it takes a long time to learn how to do smoothly.

You aren't going to be driving around like dagumi not spilling the water for a while, user. Buckle up and be prepared for getting yanked around. It's the price you pay for a fucking cool car.

from the responses in this thread, guess i ain't doin too shabby. just gotta stop adding a touch of gas on my upshifts at the bite point and instead try and hit the correct rpms.

If you get your timing wrong a touch of gas can smooth out the shift. You eventually get a feel for it.

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with you OP but my girlfriend seems to have no problem driving hers. The gearing is short as fuck too.