DIY painting

any of you lads painted a car with no professional experience?
how did it turn out?
I'm looking at painting a car that every top surface is faded back to the original colour
the way I look at it, fresh paint with a few defects here and there has to look better than faded paint... right?

I plan to do it with decent tools and careful prepwork, not just a rattlecan job in half a day

Attached: 3+Cropped+(1).jpg (690x388, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15415380/#q15416693
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/17163610/#q17166184
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There are two things a beginner painter cannot acheive with a $50 gun and a borrowed compressor.

1) a dust free finish
2) a mirror finish straight out of the gun

But with a bit of wetsanding and polishing, you can get near flawless concourse results.

Will you be using a roller or a spray gun?
What kind of paint?

Yeah, it took ages and looked shit.

Do you intend to do any bodywork first?
Dents can be filled pretty easy. It's worth putting the work in.

If you're going to use a roller, I suggest going for a high quality marine topcoat from International or something like that instead of the usual Rustoleum shit.
You can get a really nice finish with a gloss roller and by heating the paint up to 40c/100f first. Use it straight out of the can instrad of watering it down.

If you must have an additive, make it 5% flax seed oil for flow.

I rattle canned a one ton truck once. It actually looked good until you got right next to it. Seeing on the street it looked good. Held up until I sold it. Would do it again if I needed to

I have not put a huge amount of thought in yet however I dont mind spending a good amount of money on tools and paint
Not looking to do a $50 spraygun if its just going to be shit

I was going to do a bit of body work but nothing major needs to be done on the car

I havent heard of using a paint roller
Surely that comes out horrible?

A $50 spray gun will produce a professional finish in the right hands. By professional I mean no sanding or buffing required.

But this being your first paint job that is unlikely to happen. Some orange peel is expected, though you can still get a finish is as good as factory or better.

When me or others say "the $50 spray gun" we mean the "Professional" spray gun 68843 from Harbor Freight. They also have a Purple one for $15.

The roller thing is most commonly known as the "$100 paint job" and involves Rustoleum paint thinned to the consistency of milk applied with a roller for many coats, wetsanding in between every few coats using progressively finer sand/paper.
But there are better paints to use that don't need to be thinned out as much.

I might buy a car with beat paint and try this method for shits and giggles, hell I'll probably make money off it when I sell it

Yeah im really considering this

painting is quite fun its very rewarding. Solvents make me happy.

depends how much time you put into it you can get really nice looking paint from spray can if you wetsand and respray lik3 5 or more times. If its a car youre gonna drive around alot and want to look nice you might as well just do a wrap they can last 5 years-7years according to the companies. So if you want it to look nice and last then id just save up and buy a wrap because the time and money spent repainting the car by a shop to look as good as a wrap will cost a lot more.
Sidenote if its just a niggermobile just try painting it yourself take your time and do it right its a skill not many people know how to do at all let alone properly

Yes, my suggestion is to not do it.

Do all of the prep work yourself and take it to a shop for the final spray. Don't change colors unless you want double the job hanging all of the doors, taking off the hood and trunk lid. Firewall can only be done with the engine out and fenders off.

I've painted my roof with rollers
Less mess than spraying but alot more coats and obviously no cost of spray gun and what not.
If you're rolling be prepared to do 5-10 coats depending on how it turns out each coat, be prepared to sand between coats unless it's perfect and make sure you use an additive like penetrol and some thinners. The thinner your coats the better your finish will be eventually.
Use a topside marine paint, oil based. Don't use an automotive paint, they are formulated for spraying.
Also prep is most important, a smooth degreased surface is essential and use the primer specified by your topcoat

I was thinking a civic because they are plenty and resell pretty well, what car were you thinking

you can come try on my crx

Attached: IMG_20180310_194530.jpg (1350x1012, 84K)

Shit man that's my ideal project car

What the fuck happened here?

i'd imagine it was an act of terror if you're referring to the OP.

Of course. But the spray pattern is too fine in most areas, but it's like a bucket from the roof in others. There's no spray under the car and local on the neighbours house. So strange.

Solid post.

I'm just going to add this.

If you use Penetrol with thinners, you won't see any of its benefits.
Just mix it with warm paint and allow it to do it's job.
You won't need to sand much if at all.

The better the paint you use, the less thinning sanding you have to do.

Rustoleum requires that 1:1 milky ratio of thinner to paint because it's shit paint.
That takes away some gloss and hardness of the final finish, but also won't allow the paint to stretch out roller marks properly as it evaporates.
That's why it requires multiple coats and sanding every other coat.

Valspar Tractor Implement and Majjic Tractor are a big step up and won't require much thinning. They can be used with hardners too, which improves gloss and cure time.

Then you have marine top coats which are designed to go on by brush or roller, and finally the Dutch door paints like the ones imported by Fine Paints of Europe.

If you're European you have good options too.

Steep learning curve if you use the right tools and material.
Steeper if you cheap out and try to ace it.

Attached: paddlefin2.jpg (1805x1093, 793K)

Australian, so I was thinking a VT commodore

>mirrored finished straight out of the gun
yeah, nobody does that if you knew ANYTHING about painting. EVERYONE has to wetsand and polish, even machines can't do it, that's why manufacturers wetsand some high trim cars.

fuck off jose. go back to your $400 craigslist paint jobs

>a dust free finish
Look up archived painting threads on Veeky Forums. One of them had some details on how to make your own pressurized paint booth in your garage. I don't know, but maybe a keyword to look for is macgyver. Occasionally that macgyver guy makes posts (no name or trip) but he puts macgyver in his post or uses that racequeen picture.

At least go to the 4plebs.org site and search Veeky Forums archive with keywords "paint booth" or whatever strikes your fancy such as "alphonse dies from paint sniffing"

Examples:
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15415380/#q15416693

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/17163610/#q17166184

Look up the posts on using tractor paint.

>he sprays his paint neutrally

Nigga set up a charge difference

It seems paint threads on Veeky Forums usually attract the same handful of posters.

Pay a professional, faggot.

Bull shit not everyone wet sands part of being a real painter is being able to match orange peel whether it be thick or light and is the car already has a thicker peel you don't want the one panel you painted looking like glass

Attached: KIMG0178.jpg (2560x1440, 1.29M)

Attached: KIMG0179.jpg (2560x1440, 1.27M)

Just go with fucking plastidip until you have enough to cash for a matco or better paintjob.

Its easy, just practice on several shitboxes and use 1 step paint with hardener.

I could upload some of my work but files are too big. Brodozer guy gets it when its done day to day work.

Plastidip looks like shit and way worse than a bad paint job does from 10 feet away.

it only looks like shit if you spray it incorrectly, ie the same way as paint

>It seems paint threads on Veeky Forums usually attract the same handful of posters.
Yeah, that Benz guy, Mr Cummy, that touchup and car painter macguyver guy. But it's good they are willing to type about experiences because the rest of the painters are too busy making money at the body shop. And in one sense, it is counter-productive for body shop people to give advice on DIY. They want more business.

Or you don't use it correctly aka using the normal amount of paint.

To get a good finish with plastidip you have to use around 20 litres of paint. Absolute fucking waste of money and time for something that looks like crap and will come relatively quickly.
Even a cheap rustoleum job with a house paint gun or rolled on will last longer than plastidip.

My paint is going to shit :(

Any idea what a solid blue / black wrap would cost on a 2008 wrx sedan?

General costs, obviously

$2k to 4k depending on who does it.

Wraps aren't cheap and if the surface isn't completely smooth it won't look very good

The body is 9/10 on everything but bumper cover. Clearcoat is getting thin though

Should I DIY? I’m not a tard

Yeah painted my 3 series and I think it came out looking pretty good

Attached: DBB867E4-D882-43AC-BEFC-04E59B880539.jpg (3024x4032, 2.72M)

Congratulations on your subpar reading comprehension and subpar paint job, faggot.

matte 99% of the time looks super cheap though

>matte 99% of the time looks super cheap though
Matte is best with certain colours that emphasize the car is deliberately a matte colour. Otherwise, some colours make matte cars look like they are dirty and unwashed when they could be shiny clean instead. It's a matter of colour perception by humans.

Its very rare that a car looks good in matte imo
It has to be a very special car and at that I personally preffer gloss
I cant think of a car I prefer in matte besides military vehicles

I think the problem is, that car needs to be clean all the time or it will look like shit.

Attached: RO 3288 COMPLETE 007.jpg (1600x1200, 227K)