What are the does and don't of what to say to a car dealer

What are the does and don't of what to say to a car dealer

Attached: 09_things_cardealer_wont_tell_notice_back_forth_kzenon.jpg (2400x1600, 190K)

>lmao you speak like a fag and your shit's all retarded

For a used car, never let them know that you can afford their asking price. Convince them that the only way they're making the sale is if they compromise and take "all that you have" in cash.

Solid advice

How much should I haggle under the sticker price like 2k? I know for used cars the dealer gets from profit than from a new car so it's harder to drive down the price of a new car.

Focus on the actual sales price, not the monthly payment.

Also, get your financing in hand before you go to the dealership. If you go through financing at the dealer, you will get charged a higher rate because the dealer gets a kickback from the lender.

>Do say: "I sell cocaine bro"
>Don't say: The exact $ figure that makes up your budget

Don't waste your time trying to play these games OP. Anything you say, any dealer would have heard a hundred times before. So don't waste your time or his, just be straight up and say what you're going to pay, and if he says no then walk away. That's what I did on my last car. The sticker was $41k, I told him I'd pay $33k. Of course, he had to go"talk to the manager", they countered with $35k, and I countered with $33k. I ended up signing for $33k.

How do you know what their exact markup number is?

>buying from a dealer
shiggy diggy

Check online for the MSRP then subtract $2-4k. Also, go in on weekday near the end of the month. After you make your final offer, if they don't meet it just walk out. There's a fair chance they'll contact you and meet your final offer if they're short on meeting their monthly sales target.

Damn that's a pretty good deal.
Good tip m8

>Also, go in on weekday near the end of the month. After you make your final offer, if they don't meet it just walk out. There's a fair chance they'll contact you and meet your final offer if they're short on meeting their monthly sales target.
I knew this because my dad used to sell cars but I never figured there was a rough formula to beating dealer markup. Thanks for the tip, what did you end up buying?

I did end up having to use this "trick." I got my current car in early 2013. It's a 2012 GT Mustang that had 28k miles on it. It was at a Toyota dealership so they just wanted to get it out so it cost me $26,500 with tax, tag, and title out the door with no trade in. 5 years and 60k miles later, I've had no issues with it.

didn't*

Nice, I’m fixing to get a 2014 GT, for whatever reason I like it better than the new model.

Did you finance through outside party or pay upfront? Some threads I see that its wiser to finance even if you can afford to pay upfront just so you can pad your credit score (if you need that)

Sales manager at an BMW dealership checking in.

All I can say about this thread is wow. We’ve heard literally everything in this thread before. It’s just annoying.

The secret to getting a good deal is just being nice. Be nice to me and I’ll give you a much better deal than if you come in offering me $5,000 off MSRP (before incentives). We sell enough cars- we don’t have to get jerked about for 3 hours by some guy who wants to feel like a big man negotiating, when I can sell the car full list to another person 40 minutes later.

Most dealers around here have moved to the one price philosophy. Just come in and pay the listed price and be on your way. We don’t even take offers on used cars, I walked a guy out on a $58,000 F-Pace yesterday over $300.

>just b nice bro ill give u a gud deel, i swear ill hook you up
>but 1 price phisolophy now brah, just pay wut we put on sticker & leave
All the memes about car salesmen are true, you really are full of shit

Attached: 1494997265613.png (642x724, 136K)

I financed upfront. Go to LendingTree.com or step into a local credit union and apply for financing. This was in 2013 when rates were lower, but I got an offer (with no verification docs needed) from Chase for 1.9% with a pre-approved limit of $30k via LendingTree. I checked the dealer financing and they offered me 2.9%, so of course I went with Chase.

Yikes, sorry if I was unclear. I was meaning to say that on new vehicles (which have an MSRP that can be negotiated on) I’ll give you a deal.

On used cars, there’s one price.

Jesus, this:

Was meant as a reply to this:

It's extra retarded though because that's probably the one guy who would ever buy a used Jaguar.

>Most dealers around here have moved to the one price philosophy.
How much will a dealer hold to that on a used car. I'm looking at a Lexus lx and the lexus dealership has a non negotiating price. I'd prefer to negotiate for a lower price if possible, there is another one a few thousand less but an hour away.

Honestly, we won’t move the price until we desperately need to sell it, or until the leads stop coming in. If you really want that one and they’ve already not budged on the price, your best bet is to wait until they drop the price. There’s been situations at my store where I’ve held off on selling the car, then the leads stopped coming in and I’ve relisted it for a lower price than the offer I said no to.

If you haven’t been into the store yet, I recommend you go in there and make your offer with your commitment (deposit/credit card) ready.

If they say no, just wait, or go see the other one. If they’re anything like us, they won’t care if another one a few hours away is cheaper.

An LX is a really easy car to hold the price firm on, because they’re pretty sought after.

It’s worth a shot though, they might want to get rid of it, but everyone is different.

>$41k, I told him I'd pay $33k
*4*
*4* has a hidden triangle in plain sight
*33*
*33* 33 levels of freemasonry

Illuminati get out

Thank you very much for the reply, it was quite helpful. I would send you one thousand internet points if I could.

same thing as the does and don't of what to say to a drug dealer
hope that helps user

If buying new just pick out your car and email three or four dealerships to get the lowest price. Decide if a hour or two drive is worth the price difference. Let the dealerships know they're competing for your business. Lowest price wins

>>>/reddit/

>Just come in and pay the listed price and be on your way.
How about no?

>We don’t even take offers on used cars
How about I take my business elsewhere and write an honest review on all your social media profiles?

Attached: 13.jpg (200x267, 8K)

> I walked a guy out on a $58,000 F-Pace yesterday over $300.
the absolute state of dealership egotism and self-importance.

I doubt it was actually $300

>trusting anyone on the internet
>trusting anyone on the internet that says they are the sales manager at a BMW dealership

you think people would just go on the internet to lie?

Do say:
Goodbye
No
I think I'm just going to go to 'insert other dealership name'
I won't settle for that
Can I talk to your supervisor

Don't say:
That could work
Alright
Sure
That sounds good

They can always go lower or offer a better deal
Also just buy used directly from someone it saves a lot of trouble

Go on Craigslist and find a car above 2000, offer them them 2000 cash fast. You will get a better car, the only reason to go to a dealership is if you are looking for a used car around 10k and above, your just going to get robbed trying to buy from the cheap stealerships

>Also just buy used directly from someone it saves a lot of trouble

Not always. At least in my area, I run into a lot of people selling cars with improper titles. Doesn't matter if I get a good deal and only pay $2,000 for a $5,000 car if I can't even get the shit registered in my name.

>i'll write an honest review on all your social media profiles
is this supposed to be scary? your "review" is that the dealership, which is in business to make a profit, wouldn't sell you the item they own for a price you felt you should pay? better call the local news as well, you have a real story on your hands here

that's nice man but every time I've left a review on a real manufacturer's dealership's pages, they always went FULL damage control and tried to contact me to "make things right". little do they know if they call me just to ask to remove the review and not actually give me what I want, I call the manufacturer's 1800 number

get fucked fag enabler

Sales manager at CDJR dealership checking in as well. We aren't one-price, but we are the only dealership around that provides a comprehensive pricing breakdown that is clearly disclosed pricing [information-based selling] and don't run your credit at the door.

I agree with you - if you're a customer who knows that car the want, don't act like a dickhead, and just go along with the process, I will be happy to provide great pricing that works for both of us. Yes, I have quotas to hit and take short deals all the time to move a car.

To the people looking for tips - don't think you're "smarter" than the dealer because you got some tips online how to buy a car, advice from a friend who "used to sell cars", etc. As quoted said, we've literally heard it all before and know the common tricks/ploys customers pay and are conditioned to say.

i bet you call the corporate number at the grocery store when they don't have the 10-for-10 soups that were in the flyer either

How would you feel about me turning up in my 3K Civic to buy a $100K car?

>comparing $1 soups to thousands of dollars in cars

Attached: 04.jpg (218x220, 11K)

protip the manufacturer doesn't give a single fuck that you, mr hardball negotiator from 1981, didn't buy a car from their independently franchised dealer for a low enough price

incoming >i've bought 15 cars and i do this every time

classic salesmen always trying to fuck everyone. you may have heard all these "ploys" in the past, but you need us. suck my dick from the back you fucking hebrew coin sniffing snake-in-the-grass bagel baking motherfuckers.

I think the point trying to be made is that not everything requires a full-on assault..there's plenty of car dealerships, just go to a different one.

Here's some tips:
>Do research on the cars you ""think"" you want online
>Narrow it down to 1 or 2
>Go to dealership, test drive your top choices
>Tell salesperson you are comparing x to z
>Not at the pricing stage yet, just getting info
>Give salesperson a Google voice number and your email to follow up
>Get pricing, contact competing closest dealer, have them match/beat price
>Call original dealer from test drive [providing you had a good experience there]
>Give them 1 opportunity to price it better
>Buy car

Do you judge customers by the car they arrive in?

I go nigged out all the way.
Put on all my chains, the big 3 finger ring with KASH$ across it, both diamond studs, slap on a grill I keep just for going to the dealer that has sapphires on it. High top Yeezy's. Putin model Lora Piana tracksuit. Kangol. Pearl handle swagger stick.

So I roll up holding a wad of cash and wave it around at cars I like.
>lemme git a look in dat
>git dis one out for me to roll
>gibs me yo bes deal onnis one
Then I pretend I feel like I am getting ripped off due to my skin color and start making like I am calling Johnny Cochran on my cellie, and they always cave down to my number

Protip: don't go to a jew dealr because they usually got Johnny Cochran on speed dial so they can call him up and know you playin'.

Attached: bait.jpg (480x360, 10K)

Hey what do I do about dealership fees? Some dealers want to charge like 1000 dollar "administration" fees and "transport" fees

What fees are bullshit and what ones do I actually have to pay?

Not at all. Today a guy pulled up in a 2001 Ford Taurus that was all beat to shit, wearing a sweatsuit. He wanted to look at a Grand Cherokee Overland, helped him just like we wold anyone else. Turns out he uses that Taurus just to drive and park at the train station all week; he's the VP of a banking firm making huge money. Imagine if we told him to kick rocks just because of that?

>Just come in and pay the listed price and be on your way.
nice try I'm not paying sticker price on your shit vehicle thats 3k over KBB price

What state are you in?
I'm in New York, and all we have is the doc fee of $75. It's legally capped at that. Dealers have to use the NYS DMV reg fee calculator website and put it with your DMV paperwork, so you're only being charged what the NYS DMV tells us.

Freight, vehicle prep, administration fees, appearance packages are all bullshit. The problem is, in places like Florida, every single dealer charges them and they know that. Don't pay it there, the next place will charge you it.

What happens if I live in NY and want to go to vermont to buy a car? do the NY fees and laws apply? I know sales tax does

We're looking to buy a 2019 Land Cruiser soon, and will probably turn up in a 20 year old Civic.
Hoping that it doesn't work against us.

Attached: landie.png (1600x900, 1.76M)

Yes, you pay NY sales tax and NY DMV fees, but the dealer can charge you whatever bullshit they want otherwise. Simply put, just don't pay them. Repeat yourself over and over. You have a deal, just not with freight/prep/fees. If they won't budge, bring your business elsewhere.

Any dealership worth anything won't give a fuck about what you drive now, only if you're trying to trade it in

Who are you quoting?

Attached: 1520771643046.jpg (359x347, 18K)

A dealer will NEVER sell a used car at a loss, don't ever believe them.

Cars will very rarely be sold at a loss, example, a new car type comes out and a dealer buys too many (such as the Porsche Cayenne V6) so they were sold below MSRP, some may have taken a small loss if they sold say 2 of em the day before new years to avoid a heftier tax.

When you hear "im not making any money on this car" always remember a dealer is a business and you don't stay in business by loosing money.

also i find the word 'little' is primarily used by shady and overpriced sellers. its a great little car.' means its good for you but not me cause its overpriced usually or has expensive to fix repairs/body.

DO YOUR MATH. In front of the salesman if need be.

2012 Honda, new car, MSRP is around 21,000$. The dealer tries to finance me at 3000$ down and 400$ a month for 60 months. Well... 400x60 is 24000$ plus 3000$ is now 27 thousand dollars, a 6 grand mark up. If you didn't notice, they just made their MSRP profit plus an additional 6 grand profit. So check your math when they bring out the paperwork, not just for added fees, but for basic arithmetic.

I sell cars at a loss literally every day. We have a quote to hit every month set by the manufacturer. We hit that number, we get paid retroactively for every car sold. The thought it that we hit the quotas, the payment more than makes up for the losses we took day-to-day.

For example:
>Need to sell 35 RAM trucks in the month
>Lose $500 [average] selling every single one
>Sell all 35 or more, RAM pays us $1000 per truck
>We push and push all month on the hope and prayer we sell all those trucks, or we get nothing
But that's why it's not always true that you get a better deal at the end of the month. Some dealers don't try to hit their targets or already have, so they have no incentive to take a bigger loss.

did you forget about interest?

>2012 Honda, new car, MSRP is around 21,000$. The dealer tries to finance me at 3000$ down and 400$ a month for 60 months. Well... 400x60 is 24000$ plus 3000$ is now 27 thousand dollars, a 6 grand mark up.

holy fucking shit you're an idiot

personal story of how I got my current car
>walk into dealer after finding a 2011 Accord EX-L with 60k miles listed on their website for $10k
>pretend I'm also interested in a 2012 base Fusion with 30k miles they have listed for $8k
>act all happy with the Accord, make some stupid comment about Honda reliability, salesman says "oh, so the difference in mileage might not even mean that much"
>say I'd like to put down a deposit on the Accord
>salesman is practically frothing at the mouth, especially considering it's been sitting on the lot for 3 months
>"take a phone call" on the way to the desk, pop outside for a minute
>come back in looking all depressed, tell him my bonus had been cancelled and I only had $7k to work with instead of the $11k I was expecting
>mope around for a bit, look at a few of the other rustbuckets he had on the lot, act repulsed by all of them
>eventually get up to leave and say maybe I'd be better off sticking with my ancient Camry
>he follows me to the door and "comes clean" with me telling me that he actually got it for $7.3k, saying that if I can scrape up an extra $300 just to cover his losses then he could let it go for that
>act all happy, take it out for one final test drive
>find a bunch of little problems, like the wiper being slightly bent and stuff like that
>"no problem, we'll have that fixed for you by the time you come to pick it up"
>sign on it
>pay $7.3k cash, including fees and tax
and it's been a great car since

If you're too fucking poverty stricken to afford the MSRP then stay the fuck home and don't even bother wasting the dealerships sales time
dealership employees need to eat too, and they don't want to waste time listening to cheap ass penny pinching queers like in this thread

>be me
>buy 2016 5.0 super crew f150 for $26k (24k miles)
>it’s an amazing truck but having a high car payment eats away at my soul
>be bored, go check out 4runners for fun
>test drive one, it’s alright. What the fuck why is the traditional cheap ass linkage lever 4wd shifter only on the trd models?
>anyway, salesman asks me to go inside
>tells me they haven’t sold a car all (busiest dealership in county) asks what it would take to get me to buy
>tell him only way possible is if he traded me straight up
>only owe $21k on my f150, he “talks to his manager”
>I keep telling him no thanks I hate the high payments I already have, I really just wanted to leave but was remaining polite
>last offer I had on table was dealer giving me $29,500 for f150, $2k off msrp of 4Runner, payments were about $550/month
>down from $700/mo payment wew
It’s like women, just play hard to get. Ended up private selling f150 and buying a 96 bronco for $6k. Much happier with it

Attached: wDZbjfh.gif (845x437, 3.56M)

1. Arm yourself with information. research the vehicle of your choice (Invoice vs. MSRP, manufacturer rebates, dealer holdback, etc.)
2. Never show emotion even when going for a test drive (do NOT provide dealer with your driver’s license). Instead, prior to your arrival at the dealership, make a copy of your driver’s license and furnish the dealer with the copy of your driver’s license.
3. Never show emotion when negotiating.
4. Never offer or accept the first price.
5. Start off negotiations by saying “that’s not good enough.”
6. Never offer a counter price.
7. Silence is golden. When in doubt, shut up and you will pay less.
8. Know what power you possess by being able to “walk away.”
9. Never negotiate off “MSRP.” The negotiation process should start from the DEALER COST (which is less than INVOICE) price or the WHOLESALE price if purchasing a USED vehicle.
10. Rebates can be deducted from INVOICE price and not MSRP as the dealership will lead you to believe.
11. Know the dealer’s “hold-back” price and what type of incentives that may be offered from the manufacturer or dealership.
12. Don’t discuss a trade-in until you’ve settled on a price for the car you’re buying – each transaction should be separate and not dependent upon one another.
13. Settle on the price of the vehicle you’re interested in before you bring up financing — don’t let the rate of a loan influence the price of the car.
14. Have your financing pre-approved before you walk into a dealership.
15. Extended warranties never make financial sense.
16. Be aware of “extra” charges such as administrative fees, handling charges, advertising fees, paint protection, VIN etching – simply do not pay these as these are deal breakers. And believe it or not, even “delivery” charges are negotiable.

17. Get the deal in writing. Full disclosure, in writing, of all fees pertaining to your vehicle purchase, such as destination, title, documentation, licensing and registration. If the dealer will not put it in writing, “walk away.”
18. The “If I” sales tactic. This is the last step in the sales negotiation process. Ex. If I decide to purchase the vehicle today, you have to include free window tinting. If I decide to take the red vehicle instead of the white vehicle, you have to include 5 free oil and tire rotation services. If I decide to purchase the vehicle today, you have to include floor mats at no additional cost. If done correctly, this will allow you to get another “service and/or product” that you normally would not have received and by this time, there is no way will the dealership allow you to “walk” because there is too much time invested between both parties. The dealership knows you are in a buying mode and doesn’t want to run the risk of you becoming a “be back” customer for another dealership since most people buy within 48 hours of stepping onto a dealership’s lot.
19. Put deposits on a “credit card” only. Do NOT pay with a check.
20. If you got a great deal, show your appreciation. Thank the dealer and be sure to send your friends to them when they go car shopping.

damn, I feel like that salesman was green
I'm not even in car sales and someone "getting a call" in front of the salesman is just a haggling tactic

Its literally a quote from idiocracy you fucking weaboo plebian

Saved, thanks man

What is the standard operating procedure for talking to a salesman about a custom ordered new car? The local dealerships don't have the exact vehicle I want so they'll have to order it built for me. Can I still negotiate at all? What are my options?

Attached: 14712291566402906[1].jpg (470x249, 50K)

>don't be under 25
>don't act like you can afford that expensive car. 70% chance you can't
>they know the shit you read online and no it won't work
>don't get salty if they don't let you test drive alone

>Don't be under 25
What? A potential customer is a potential customer.

>WAHH JUSS BE NICE TO MEE
>I walked a guy out on a $58,000 F-Pace yesterday over $300.

kill yourself cunt

Why do we have dealerships?
Why don't manufacturers just have their own salesfloors? Cut out the middle man.

Attached: AAEAAQAAAAAAAAngAAAAJGNiNTk5OTg5LTU4MDEtNDg3OC1hMmY5LTBhYjBkZjQwYTFkNw.jpg (600x343, 38K)

I bought my first new car under 25. Half the dealers didn't give me the time of day. I showed up with a backpack full of notes and I took the bus. I ended up letting the only salesman who treated me with respect match my best offer because of that. Even that salesperson only took me seriously when they saw my wife's ring.

I bought my second new car, a van, at 30. Showing up with a toddler and a pregnant wife had the sales people tripping over themselves to get to me.

In terms of tips, most listed finance rates are a lie due to cash purchase discounts. Figure out the actual rate and have your own financing in place if need be. Treat the salesman with respect and don't fuck around. When I bought the van I was pretty much free money. I walked in to an empty dealer and said exactly what I wanted and at what price, take it or leave it. I got it that price then was offered more than expected in my wife's car, above KBB high point. Entire process took less than 30 minutes and we were the only ones in the dealership.

Trading in is often better than private sale. The trade in reduces your sales tax burden and you don't need to deal with low balling autists who ask you to finance them. Your time also has a value.

Go away Elon.

Your bulge is very nice

Salesguy at VW dealership checking in.
Bmw guy isn't kidding. One price is the new way. If you want to haggle go on kijiji or craigslist. You don't fucking go to walmart and try and get a discount on fucking bread. You either can afford it or you fuck off.

It's not up the dealership to decide that, it's up to the customer. If you have a one-price policy you've already lost me. I will go to a dealership without that dumb shit.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but we frankly couldn't give a shit. We have enough people coming through the doors that we don't have time to play the asskissing game with your broke ass. It's a lovely process in sales that's called "screening." We use this to filter out the bottleneck pussies with shit credit and keep my numbers up.

Would you agree coming in with a fixed price looking for a car, you can mark down used vehicles from a slightly higher markup?

Bro youre a car salesman. Leave the shitalking to the people behind your back that laugh at your sad ass for not getting a reputable job/going to college

when you come in asking for less than the sticker price you're literally just asking the sales guy "would you be cool with making less money so I don't have to pay more?"
If that question doesn't seem unreasonable to you please throw yourself off an overpass.

I've got great credit and have purchased multiple new cars, but good attempt.

Attached: 1497955316117.jpg (391x502, 106K)

bro you deliver pizzas or fix shitty econoboxes. I get to dress nice, build up a rolodex, and make 6 figures a year because I know every Serbian in town that just immigrated and needs a new set of wheels. If you think an overpriced college education is more valuable than sales experience I've got some bad news for you kid.

So what you're saying is car salesmen have disdain for people who make less than they do.
Good to know.

We have disdain for anyone coming on our lot expecting a deal because they feel it's owed to them. Also if you're not making more than the average sales guy you definitely can't afford a new ride.

well ofc, they will contact the dealership owner or director, that some client only willing to pay "this amount" and the owner most of the will tell them to sell it anyway.

>have the dealership sell you a car for free
>being this fucking retarded.
>thinking there's that much gross in new vehicles.
The money is made in the shop fixing all the stupid shit designed to break on you.

fuck bmw, next car is audi for sure, bmw guys sound like dickheads

enjoy your overpriced jetta. The owner constantly points audis going into the shop laughing saying he just made double for the same volkswagen part.

>talking up being a literal car salesman
The absolute state of Veeky Forums

you dumbass fuck
>best shit on vw are base model for audi
for example base audi a3 have proper tfsi 2.0 engine and quattro, to get that on golf you need tp get golf r, same shit for literally everything. Just because VW shares comon components between brands means shit

>tfw is used to live in that hell
>used to delude myself that listening to shitty pop music for 12 hours a day selling shitty toyotas "wasn't that bad"
>tfw winter would literally be spent freezing my ass off brushing snow of cars and moving them so that the plow can move snow
>tfw not a single customer for weeks because of winter
Fuck that shit. Car sales is literally the shittiest salesjob. It's in the same category as door to door. Thank christ I started my own business.

why the fuck would you work 12h per day selling shitty toyotas?

>Make 6 figures a year
>If you're not making more than the average sales guy you definitely can't afford a new ride

....So do you turn away 90% of the people because they don't "make 6 figures like you?"

Quit trying to act like a badass because you sell cars. You're just a jew in dress clothes talking to people.

You're just the faggot who I have to go through to get the car I want. Literally no one wants to interact with you.

How do you find out the invoice price, dealer holdback, etc?