Redline

can redlining your car actually cause damage?
I’ve heard people say it can push out headgaskets and tear up cylinders

Attached: F269746C-2252-4A5E-B8E8-A94DF877E3F5.jpg (450x338, 26K)

if you go too fast you may cause danger to your manifold

Attached: 1275421562946925893.jpg (800x400, 45K)

shameless bumperino

Only if you let your engine warm up
It's only safe to redline it when it's cold because there's still some space between the piston and the cylinder

If your car is in good mechanical condition, nothing bad will happen.

I regularly take my shitbox Chevy Malibu to 5500-6000 rpm and it has 176k miles on it

Shut up!

whatever u do, dont take it over redline kiddo

Thats the no no zone

Unless you build the engine specifically to take RPM that high, dont try it

Yes, absolutely. Of course it is necessary to understand the different between "can" and "will". The redline is the maximum safe engine speed, below this everything should be fine, but above this you're taking a risk.
As for the damage caused, it can be many many things. Blow head gasket, snapped connecting rods, damaged block, etc. etc.

fuck you, shitty new name fag
fuck off

I've been on here on and off for years my dude

It's good to do it occasionally to prevent buildup of carbon deposits.

Then fuck off old name fag.

Yep I threw a lifter plastic guide snapped because ls1

No,

If the engine is being properly lubricated then taking it to the redline will be fine.

There's a safety margin built in to prevent any damage from just this sort of thing.

no.
It is actually good.
Just dont keep it there if your engine doesnt want it kept there.

>can redlining your car actually cause damage?
only if your car is american

Redline is the point where your engine speed becomes unsafe. On a newer car with low mileage hitting redline shouldn't be an issue. That said, physics is a thing, and the faster your engine is going, the more stress it will be under, and the more wear and tear it's going to get. Also, constantly hitting redline on a car with like 150,000 miles is probably not the best idea.

>delete system32: Veeky Forums edition

not OP.

I recently bought and am learning to drive a manual on a WRX.

Is it bad to go over 3k revs? I notice that's when my car gets quite louder and I always keep its between 2-3k

most I've probably done is 4-5 in 1st or 2nd gear and even then I freak out a bit when I get to that point

Attached: d561c06ae5.jpg (220x220, 10K)

>can redlining your car actually cause damage?

You'd be lucky not to blow the welds on the intake.

My shitty corolla seems to want to go to redline and beyond. Help.

That's just the physics of exhaust and vibration and shit. My car vibrates the whole block around 1800 RPM's and then starts to burble around 3000. and above that it actually gets quieter.

>baiting this hard

Depends on your car