Myth or Fact

Starting your car when it's cold and letting it idle for 10-15 minutes extends the life of your engine.

Attached: landscape-1446126362-car-clinic-cold.jpg (871x490, 209K)

myth, only takes 15-20 seconds for the oil to run through everything and at that point you should get on with it. the faster the engine reaches normal operating temperature the better, but don't go wide open throttle like a faggot until it reaches that

Slightly decreases the life of it if anything, more time spent running cold (putting a load on it is what heats it up) but nothing too important, get some heat in the cab while you scrape the windows.

Myth

please dont do this

Idleing for a few minutes use to be a thing for carbureted engines back in the day. Hell some bikes that are carbed tell you to do the same. Any new car just needs a few seconds.

>he doesnt redline it nonstop until the water temp reaches normal levels

It's like you WANT your engine to die young.

if you drive it the engine wont have to work that much extra, it gets to temperature faster and youre not wasting fuel going nowhere

Just leaving the engine on for a minute or two will ensure that the oil circulates everywhere, that the whole engine is up to temperature and therefore said oil is at an adequate viscosity.

So much this.
If you unironically think this isnt the best way you're a soy faggot that drives a 4 cylinder diesel.

With an engine in good condition and the correct oil for the temperature the difference in wear when you let it idle vs normal driving with a cold engine is so minimal that there are hundreds of other things that will kill your engine before idling/not idling your engine ever would

Attached: 1484160031866.jpg (251x209, 12K)

I think it depends on what you mean by cold. When it's 20 below and the oil pump is whining trying to pump cold oil it's not a good romp in it and drive. If the outside temperature is 35 or above I don't give my engine anymore than 5 minute warm up

Side note I have three vehicles between me and my wife 327k, 256k, and 210k all original motors

This is the truth. I’d wait for 30 seconds though, but I’m a bitch

>10-15 minutes extends the life of your engine.

False but I still do it anyways, fuck being cold.

>Starting your car when it's cold and letting it idle for 10-15 minutes extends the life of your engine.
No it actually doesn't. Basically you want the car to warm up as quickly as possible (obviously not fast enough that you cause an engine to crack)

Wasn't even true with carbed cars

gas:myth
Deisel:truth

It was because carbs can't adjust fuel flow based on temperature so starting a carbed car then giving it gas would actually stall it. Your ECU today gives your cylinders more fuel than they need so you run rich for this purpose which prevents stalling.

lmao
It reduces the life of your engine. Literally any time the engine is running it's wearing, and it wears the most at low temperatures.

Alright then, lets see you crank up a motorcycle in 10 degree weather that's been tuned for the summer, without the Choke.

Why would you want to do that?

its just to prove a point you'll stall your bike because the carbs can't provide enough fuel to burn when the engine is cold. This is what fuel injection solved by running your engine rich when its cold.

>Starting your car when it's cold and letting it idle
Each car's oil, temperature, engine type, and how cold your weather is varies. So there isn't any specific amount of time. You can try to observe how your car behaves when starting up in cold weather. Observe the tachometer and you'll see the car reaches normal idling speed after a number of seconds in a cold weather start. How long? In hot weather, my car reaches expected idle speed in a few seconds. In cold weather, it takes about 10 to 25 seconds depending on the temperature. When the tach says the car is warmed up enough to be running at its idling speed, I then drive off.

What is cylinder glazing for 10 points

Attached: Screenshot_2017-03-06-09-03-31-1.png (661x845, 361K)

If I did this my neighbors would call the cops on me without hesitation

Why is that?

Not him but places have idling laws to save the environment

myth
20-30 seconds is the perfect amount of time in all vehicles

Attached: 1520873680074.jpg (1024x768, 247K)

They're more closely related to noise ordinances, and not for saving the environment.

Most cars make zero noise while idling. My focus is totally silent except for a bit of valvetrain noise and a gentle purr of the exhaust.

so i have to wait 30 sec and then i can redline the bitch?

Noise and emissions...you also have to turn off your engine while waiting at a railroad track for the train to pass.

>rx8
>20-30 sec idle time
>this kills the wankle

It takes at least 2 min for the idle to drop down after startup and the air pump to shut off.

Jesus Christ user, what vehicles? Can you post pics?

Yes

most rx8s can safely sit for 30 seconds prior to throttle in most conditions
unless your rotors are made of glass sitting it for 2 minutes is ridiculous

What should I do during those 30 seconds

rev its nuts off