mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-LineIntersection.html
youtube.com/watch?v=D8rYZ6iGA1U
aminoapps.com/page/anime/2451277/jian-ma-emptiness-in-animation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1st for old progress

BLOB v0.4.1 OUT!

youtu.be/pPQOLxWKzTA

bela.itch.io/blob

Added predators, gas lwosw upwards, color selector menu, actually made a video how to use it. Still a prototype. Still programmer graphics.

I just bought Aseprite from Humble Bundle but I don't know where the download or key is?

Got a receipt email and receipt text on my phone and the receipt has a number on it (The key?) but don't know what to do next.

log into your humble bundle account and somewhere on the site you can grab your key

no, but that's not a reason to post a picture of a source game and start responding to it repeatedly while pretending to be a ton of other people

Video is kinda slow. If you just skip way into it its mutch better.

I tried giving them the gameboy color scheme

Much better, thank you.

you used 4 out of 4 colours. do you not need a background color?

isn't that for the background though? those are all tools and blocks that would be in the foreground. with the player

How would I calculate whether a vector passes near an object? like in the pic

mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-LineIntersection.html

I downloaded and installed but now I'm getting a rare bug where when I open it it just sits in backround processes for no reason.

Ebin.

Should I pirate Unity or use the free one instead?

>for no reason.

Progress! Player now has proper damage triggers and animations. Planning to make enemies speed up when they notice you, maybe give them proper death animations.

There is no reason to pirate Unity. Use the free one.

I haven't visited /agdg/ in like 6 months. How has life been treating you guys?

I'm a billionaire game girl game dev now, where is your game?

Is Sega Genesis-style music the best game music?

I'm about to receive my first dollar from gamedeving

Anybody here got a college or university degree? Programming and video game related?

Kinda curious what the fuck game development for college means, I mean there's comp sci and then there's that shit so does anyone know if it's worth people's time or is self-teaching yourself how to make games better? guess it kinda depends on people, but what're your thoughts?

Tuition for me wouldn't be a problem at all, so just want a straightforward opinion.

I can't find one.

I had classes where the class splits into teams to create one game together. Other classes in the major included some graphic design and programming shit. Nothing you can't teach yourself and no one I know got a vidya job yet after like 6 years. Least I made some friends tho

Any idea guys here?

I'm making a turn based grid RPG and I can't figure out what to do with the battle system.

Give me your most Molyneux ideas.

If tuition REALLY isn't an issue, I'd say go for it. The thing about school is, you're going to be doing most of your learning on your own time anyway, and this applies to ANY degree. Being around like-minded and similarly skilled people learning the same thing can't hurt, and will probably help you learn a little faster and make contacts for later.

The common complaint is that if you're going to school as an investment, a game school is objectively terrible. But if money isn't a factor, sure, do it.

you play as a slime girl rolling around and absorbing horny school boys

Use the ff6 blitz system for all characters like Samurai Showdown rpg did. Combos, combos, combos.

Added a turning animation.

What about computer science? I've had a course in high school for comp sci and had some fun but it was java and the entire time we just copy pasted code. How does college handle that? anybody on here know? not entirely convinced about going to school for programming yet but if it's beginner friendly I'd like to try.

They're selling bootleg versions of the game I made in school illegally

This is just the weirdest shit

Look for community colleges that bridge to universities. My 2 year web dev diploma means I don't have to take the programming component of a few comp sci programs at actual accredited universities. Just a few math and humanities creds (the later which I already have)

search for bridge programs and university credit

It's a cheaper route that will get you into programming without the math to see if you actually like programming.

Not to mention that college programs are often easier, not for the rigour of the course necessarily, but because they tend to be more streamlined and student centered with rigid schedules, so you aren't wandering around a campus wondering where to go next.

I would take that as a compliment, desu.

I took Java swift and vb in my course, and it was hard and a steep learning curve (half of the class dropped out, actually)but I'm a nerd who actually likes computers so it was fine. There were also Linux and webserver components. I also learned a lot of practical shit I have no intention of ever applying myself.

You're game looks nice so far, man.
SotN is a great reference point for movement and I'm glad you agree (I assume).

Looks good, man. Keep at it.

It also looks like it's selling like shit
Guess I'll just pretend I didn't see it

>SotN is a great reference point for movement and I'm glad you agree (I assume).
Yep. Though, any of the igavanias really (except for a few of the GBA ones early on).

Make it that the units attack with chess moves, but no insta death

hey since I can't get an artist to stick around I'm looking for placeholder art for my game, mainly for my main character
I ran down everything in the first page of google results for "free game art" and nothing had what I'm looking for
do you guys know any sites that have a wide variety of character sprite sheets and animation, especially for niche things? it doesn't have to be free either, but it would have to be maybe $10 at most

Shit I don't think anyone would be willing to sell a fully animated spritesheet for $10, but your best bet would be on tumblr and commission them

added more decorative tiles to my tileset

well I've seen plenty of sprite sheets for free at this point, they're just mostly shit and don't have what I'm looking for
even a static sprite might help

honest question: is your main character supposed to be incredibly disturbing?

Nice, your game is really nailing the game boy color aesthetic.

>tfw you reach the point where you've written so much and had to do other stuff for so long you end up researching your own code to figure out how you did stuff to make things work
I mean I would normally check things, but not skimming entire functions or even modules just to figure out things
I was able to find what I needed relatively quickly though

Thoughts on my item system? I've been kinda delayed on coming up with it but I really need something to start with. tier 0 and tier 2 are especially due to get expanded once I figure out use cases more.

tier 0 (raw, present in every system): gas, ice, minerals
tier 1 (processed or in specific locations): chemical fuel, nuclear fuel, organics, antimatter, dark energy (exotic matter)
tier 2 (construction materials): electronics, semiconductors,
tier 3 (construction parts, variable size/type): ship hull (depends on optional bits like docking bay), chemical fuel tank, station module kit (construct in space), generators, engines/sails
tier 4 (complete reusable parts): batteries (electrochemical & hydrogen), shields, weapons, sensors
tier 5 (complete structures): ships, station modules, settlement structures

and no the tiers aren't that important but I wanted them sorted logically

Any tips for achieving that low-poly ps1 look like pic related?

I find him to be very handsome

thank you!

Use fewer polys than a modern game

two color schemes, one for background, one for foreground.

too much?

I don't know why I bother doing this since i'm never going to be able to make a game out of it.

your question is too vague so you will only get meme replies

observe, go and do it, then come back with results which you can get feedback on

the grid pattern is too apparent

no idea how to fix that without making the whole thing look funny due to the limited color scheme

get rid of the dark outlines

How would anyone ever make a turn-based RPG with fast-paced exploration? I keep thinking about it but for me it seems like you can do either one or the other, not both. A turn-based RPG requires the player to stop at one location in order to fight whatever he is supposed to be fighting at that moment, meanwhile in any game with fast-paced exploration the player is given the power to quickly run through vast levels with the objective to either reach the finishing line(s), collect something or do some kind of task in the most optimal way possible. There is no way to implement them together because the combat will disrupt the exploration, making it slower. Yes, there is no way unless you compromise and ignore the stationary feature of turn-based RPG, but that would be too big of a load on the player. It is impossible to conceive the average player could keep running through a stage while fighting an opponent in turns at the same time. I give up. Anyone here has a idea of how it could be done?

?

Your functions should never be so long that skimming them makes you say "entire functions"

are you doing fake gbjam too user

better but you still have the single color lines running through the whole thing

if that's really the style you want, don't change it for us

but it looks shit for a reason

forgot the background

I wish I could but I have no code or game. I'm just larping at this point honestly pls kill me

Make the guy inside the building more contrasting with the background, he's barely visible

it literally JUST started user
get your shit together and make a game

how will i put armor on him tho

Its super hard to make stuff contrast when you are using like 8 colors and are trying to make a mini terraria clone

Look through the coursework and make sure it's game development and not just game design. If you're looking to do coding or art, make sure the school has a reputation for being good at that field and that the course has a large number of classes from that department (may differ if they offer specializations like mine did). Ideally you'll get a minor in that field in addition to your major in game development, with the option to take a few more classes for dual major.

You won't learn anything you couldn't have self-taught yourself, but you might learn a lot that you *wouldn't* have self-taught yourself. Plus you'll have tutors, professors, and a large number of peers to help you and network with.

If anything, I'd say you should go because the college/uni experience is enjoyable. It was the most fun part of my life so far.

I can be your consultant if you want

Los poly, high textures, dont rely much on the shaders to do the well.. shading details, if you have to get a more natural look, do it on the map itself

>tfw brainlet but went to IT anyway
>barely average 2.7 GPA
>on 5th semester already
Help

get game maker lets be nub buddies
;_;

use low polys and low res textures. Into pixel art. You have to bake in your details and shadows into your textures without making a high poly model

whats a nub buddy

At least it's CS-heavy, right user? Right?

why? I separate every major thing into its own function, and I put most of the functions into similar groups in modules
also the main loop kind of has to be as long as it needs to be, if you see what I mean, and so does the draw loop

youtube.com/watch?v=D8rYZ6iGA1U
This game is about systematic oppression.
When should I create the patreon and let tumblr give me money?

>If anything, I'd say you should go because the college/uni experience is enjoyable. It was the most fun part of my life so far.

Nah, fuck that. Real talk: If anything, you should go because at least you will be able to say you tried if everything fails in your life. Many things will fail and that is if you are one of the lucky ones, the ones who will manage to grab some few accomplishments like being able to pay your rent.

also every semi-major thing inside a function, sometimes down to a handful lines, has its own space visually and at least one comment saying what it does

Well I'm taking a course on AI, data structures, and computer organization this semester, and I already got through 2 courses on algorithms(101 and advanced) which I repeated but since they're compulsory I had to take them.

nu b

Oh, that sounds like a tough workload. A lot of IT degrees are made for CS majors who couldn't finish the weed-out classes, but it sounds like yours is quite a bit harder.

I actually used to tutor Data Structures. We had something like an 80% drop rate because the teacher had no idea how to teach the class. Naturally, I had a lot of visitors during my hours.

ok give me ideas for mechajam i don't want to put too much effort in it.

you didn't even put much effort into that post

normally i reply to these baits with ideas

FREE subsurface scattering

>I told Miyazaki I love the "gratuitous motion" in his films; instead of every movement being dictated by the story, sometimes people will just sit for a moment, or they will sigh, or look in a running stream, or do something extra, not to advance the story but only to give the sense of time and place and who they are.

>"We have a word for that in Japanese," he said. "It's called ma. Emptiness. It's there intentionally."

>Is that like the "pillow words" that separate phrases in Japanese poetry?

>"I don't think it's like the pillow word." He clapped his hands three or four times. "The time in between my clapping is ma. If you just have non-stop action with no breathing space at all, it's just busyness, But if you take a moment, then the tension building in the film can grow into a wider dimension. If you just have constant tension at 80 degrees all the time you just get numb."

Pic very related but it only particularly makes sense if you've played OFF.

How about you OFF yourself

?

For modeling itself, you'll just need to practice a lot. Use references. And remember that in low poly a lot of the detail will come from the texture, not the mesh.

this looks like low poly with hand drawn textures and even shading.

Just create a square and draw on top of it anime style lol. + compress your textures really hard to they look extra shitty ( crisp )

Yes, we also have a word for it. It's called comfy

when you're dogfooding your texturing api and subconsciously almost make the agdg logo

as a representative of another time zone, I thank you

Calm too. Just a moment of calmness.

Is that the word he's talking about?

Not the same thing. Ma is the space between action. Comfy can exist in solitude without being between action.

Reminder to make a backup of your game dev shit.

My hard drives got wiped the other day and my Gamemaker project with it. Learn from my autism

weebos pls

Just finished a basic inventory setup and made it so that the player can equip a hoe to till the ground. Next up will be a "hand" tool for putting seeds in the ground.
All the art is placeholder, just focusing on functioning mechanics first.

Seems like it (at least going off this, which I got in a google search: aminoapps.com/page/anime/2451277/jian-ma-emptiness-in-animation )