I left a one star google review on a mechanic shop along with a few paragraphs of text and a picture copy of the...

I left a one star google review on a mechanic shop along with a few paragraphs of text and a picture copy of the invoice, picking it apart on how they overcharged and lied to me. As well as a written statement from another mechanic shop verifying my statements. Charging me $1200 for a $600 job.

The shop owner called me up and was really mad. I told him I wouldn't take down the review. He offered 5 free oil changes and I told him I didn't trust him anywhere near my car and hung up on him. Then I posted same review to his buisness' facebook page right after.

His lawyer sent me a cease and desist letter today to remove the reviews. Can this go anywhere?

Attached: 1468950767682.jpg (720x405, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theage.com.au/national/victoria/dentist-sues-patient-for-defamation-over-online-review-20170129-gu0w02.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>taking your car to a mechanic

>Can this go anywhere?
No it cannot.
They're just trying to muscle in on you with empty threats. You literally have them by the balls. I doubt they can even get you for defamation, considering that you paid for their service, have personal experience with them, and reasonable justification for your reviews.

Consult a free attorney yourself if you want even more peace of mind.

Attached: 1506932576644.jpg (730x780, 402K)

Forward a copy of the C&D to google, for teh lulz.

Anyone can send a C&D. I don't know what country you are in, but in the US you have a first amendment right to an opinion.

If you are in England you are fucked.

>His lawyer sent me a cease and desist letter today to remove the reviews. Can this go anywhere?

Yes, however he's in the wrong, but you'll probably still need to lawyer up. You might get some money out of it.

You could counter sue for harassment

What country, OP?

Canada

lol you're fucked then

>Anonymous 03/12/18(Mon)19:43:41 No.1879
he is the one harassing though, the face book think was uneeded, if he facedbooked before the call that he is in the right

Ask google support if it's acceptable behaviour. Maybe you can get them cut from search results.

Just leave the review up, OP.
Suing you over a "mean review" would cost him more money that it's worth.

Cease & desist letters are literally just to scare the receiver.
>"Stop what you are doing or we MAY A T T E M P T to sue you."

You're fine.

It was just a review. If he updated it afterwards saying “he just called me and threatened me and was mad” maybe it could be viewed. I obviously haven’t read OPs review but if it was objective and on topic I think it’s pretty much in the clear

nah they literally stole from him. any business that does that deserves to be shut down. i am a shitty person and do not let anything fly. if that happened to me, i would pay someone to destroy at least $600 of their property.

scan the c&d, add it to the reviews

>scan the c&d, add it to the reviews

Attached: 1390472731795.jpg (360x480, 64K)

canadian that has some knowlage of canadian law here.

Your going to need to have an airtight argument here. Make sure that you keep all documentation, get the info together for why you think it was supposed to be a 600 dollar job and get a lawyers advice on the matter. Make sure your review is JUST THE FACTS. no bullshit about "feelings" or you WILL get pegged.

That would be so fucking epic.

Attached: 14202785_10209784566713823_4441570213322536880_n.jpg (965x724, 150K)

Posting in what will become an epic thread

>free attorney

this is just as good as going to Veeky Forums for legal advice. idk how yall manage to even leave the house in the morning sometimes without killing yourselves

consultations are generally free

Boasting in epic bread!

>y'all
roodypoo detected

It could, but it would be reasonably easy to try and defeat. What you REALLY want here is to keep that written, signed statement from the other mechanic shop, since as a customer of a shop you look less capable of work in the first place to be complaining to laborers.

> cease and desist giving reviews for bad service
call his lawyer and ask if he knows hes a faggot

Aren't you all, like, in the same union then?
T. American

>considering that you paid for their service

Well I had to in order to get my car back.

I also started a credit card claim that the shop owner has probably been called about by now for the $600 difference.

If that fails then small claims.

I think you should just take the loss instead of going after a company that you will never never deal with again
Cuz you're taking it kinda far by calling them out all over the internet and then trying to force them to compensate you for something you willfully agreed to
We all get hosed one way or another, this won't end well

If in America unfortunately yes. They could sue for defamation or libel. It is fucking bullshit, and businesses get away with this all the time. It is basically illegal to be vocally unsatisfied with a good or service. Asshole judges always take the side of companies, unless the ruse is so obvious it can’t be umbrella’d under defamation or libel.

Post the lawyer's letter online as well. If what you're saying is true, they've got nothing

as if a judge would take a libel suit

>can this go anywhere
not unless they can prove that your review lost them a significant amount of income; very unlikely, not even worth losing sleep over

>He offered 5 free oil changes
Did you get that in writing? To me, that makes it look like he knows he scammed you on the price, but he's only willing to sort of refund you by passing the buck onto the backs of his lowest-paid employees. Sounds like a scumbag, but I'd have to see the particulars of the work done and the estimate vs. the final bill to be sure you're not the crazy one.

>If in America unfortunately yes. They could sue for defamation or libel.
just because most people in America think they can do something about "libel" doesn't mean it's actually true when rubber meets the road

>Can this go anywhere?
NO in the USA. It is a commonly-used scare tactic. If you were in North Korea it would be different.

Remember that you are a customer and those have rights too. You cannot be charged for harassment BECAUSE you are a genuine customer. A non-customer posting fake invoices would be harassment. You also did due diligence in researching the background for your comments by having another mechanic review what was done. As a customer, you are allowed to have and post an opinion unless you signed a contract ahead of time stating that you give up all rights and can only post positive reviews. In the distant past, there were companies that have tried that and failed to make it stick.

The claim is erroneous, you will not receive your money. You paid for the services rendered at the cost asked. They however will not likely attempt to sue you for harassment or defamation or whatever unless you're employed by a competitor. Add the C&D to the review and let market forces take their toll.

If you lied and he can prove defamation you are fucked
See: theage.com.au/national/victoria/dentist-sues-patient-for-defamation-over-online-review-20170129-gu0w02.html

Also depends on laws in your country

>Forward a copy of the C&D to google
Not a bad idea. May want to go ahead and scan the cease and desist and post that as well.

Post the cunts shop and I'll leave him one too

whoa there little personal army guy.
you really shouldn't be quick to jump to conclusions and be a willing participate in others disputes. who knows what the real story is. op is probably telling the truth and just looking for advice but i personally don't think you should bring out your pitchfork unless your certain of the facts of the matter.

Sorry, m8. I just fuckin hate mechanics. Also this is 4chins

Why didn't you get a couple of quotes to begin with? Why would you ever just take your car to a random mechanic and not even get a price first?

Sounds like your a retard to me, some people charge more for the same work, do you think Ford mechanics charge the same as Ferrari?

Me too, gimme that shop Web address

this op

this

>can this go anywhere
I mean I guess they could drag you to court, but it would be a waste of resources and time to pay a lawyer and have to appear in court for the slim chance of getting ANY settlement out of you.
If I'm you, I tell them to fuck off, you haven't broken any law or made a false allegation. They're just trying to scare you off. I'd go so far as to expose the cease and desist letter and I bet they'll fuck RIGHT off

They can't do shit, dont be scared. They are not even going to waste more money in a lawyer. 600$ is not worth fighting for. If they actually do, consider yourself lucky for the opportunigy of fucking them in the ass and even getting money out of it.

>Forward a copy of the C&D to google, for teh lulz.

Can anyone explain what this even means, or what it's supposed to accomplish?

kek

It would only be defamation or libel if OP is lying. If the mechanic really did charge too much and really did lie to him then the mechanic is fucked.

You cannot be sued for libel/defamation if what you are saying is true. A cease and desist is purely a threat, nothing more. Because have violated no law, civil or criminal, you have nothing to worry about. You should upload the letter to the reviews, state every event thats occured honestly, and sit back while his business stagnates, whithers and dies.

He took the low road of being a dishonest mechanic taking advantage of people who are ignorant about their vehicles. Now its coming to bite him in the ass - he could lose his business entirely and go bankrupt. Of course he will do anything to scare you into backing down. Let him reap what he sowed - karma is a fckin bitch.

>pretending to think you know exactly what you're doing.

Attached: 1429362163969.jpg (640x635, 101K)

Also would like to add - what was the job being done? 6-12 hours is a huge swing in labor times. Both cannot be correct.

Every single job has a "book time" that the manufacturer gives. It basically sets a standard rate for every job. For example, if a clutch has a book time of 11.5 hours, you mechanic can honestly charge you for 11.5 hours of labor, because thats what the book calls for, REGARDLESS IF IT ACTUALLY TAKES HIM 11.5 HOURS. This is an advantage to shops because if they are skilled, they can basically always get the job done in less time than stated. This isnt dishonesty, its how mechanics operate. Conversely, if it took, for example, more than the book time of 11.5 hours to do a clutch job, the mechanic still would have to charge you for 11.5 hours, even if it took him 14 hours. To charge more than the book time isnt illegal persay - but it is exactly what constitutes a dishonest mechanic - and you have every right to make such claims against him.

>tldr tell me what the job was so i can tell you the book time/whether or not he actually scammed you.

This OP
if this makes its way to court, have your attorney ask if the mechanics shop uses All-Data any other form of All-Data, it lists everything possible for a vehicle that needs to be repaired and gives a time frame; for example I took my truck to a shop to do my spark plugs because half the cab is in the way and I felt that spending $150-$180 was well worth it if something like a spark plug breaks, that makes the shop liable for that repair as well, All-Data said that it would take an hour and a half to do, which after tax was $178, I think in canada most mechanic's shops are legally required to have All-Data or some other type of All-Data system in place, Even my highschool mechanic's shop had All-Data.

>cease and desist letter today to remove the reviews

Please post I want to read it and laugh

Lmao thought I read this incorrectly but that's pretty fucking funny

Attached: 1476237653512.jpg (2305x2305, 492K)

I took mine to a mechanic because I couldnt wrap my head around why the carb was dumping fuel at idle.

He called me a few days later and showed me the carb hat didnt have a ridge on it to seal the idle circuit, and I gave him a box of carb parts to build it right.

A week later he calls and says it's fixed. I go out there and the first thing he says is that there are tools in the car he needs. Then I go with him to get the car and It starts up, I look under the hood and the first thing I see is the air cleaner sitting in the fender well on the exhaust. Theres speaker cable sticking out of the negative terminal and the positive terminal is not the new one I put on a month earlier. I notice the vacuum lines are all over the place and it's got lines from manifold vacuum just in the open sucking air, distributor is unplugged, he broke off the PCV valve and RTV'd a screw into it, etc. I asked him how much timing was on it and I shit you not this dude says "I don't know, I just tuned it by sound dude". Granted it drove a mile to the gas station where I plugged everything back in correctly just fine. Got it on the highway and it's pinging like crazy. Get it back home and this shit has 25 fucking degrees of timing on it.

Next time I guess I'll just do the EFI 5.0 swap every other shop in town told me to do.

Attached: Snapchat-1088034480[1].jpg (1439x2559, 635K)