Monster Hunter General /mhg/

Palicos are your friends!

>Monster Hunter: World
-MH:World is coming out for PS4 and Xbox One early 2018, and eventually PC. pastebin.com/TRFRGFn1
↳Trailer 8/18: youtube.com/watch?v=ULqY6yXn2S4
↳Demo Gameplay 8/22: youtube.com/watch?v=WBg6KnkpaXU
↳Weapons: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_ALSpmx2A8sAdeuYKMnrCt0xCpwPyPbC

>News
-Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. out now, region free. youtube.com/watch?v=Urb9cJcwAUA
↳3DS to Switch Save Data App: my.mixtape.moe/qpdnqs.png
-MHXX Update 1.2.0 w/ Eng Patch v4: my.mixtape.moe/glpowg.png
-Monster Hunter Stories comes out 9/8. Demo available. youtube.com/watch?v=r46Jbq-ZNok

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

mhgen.kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243
In XX, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)
In Generations, Objective: Gathering
In 4U, Target: Fishing

Tags: MHWorld, MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, Stories, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t6ZS_hNYnxI
youtube.com/watch?v=QNyKrK-pB8s
youtube.com/watch?v=YMPPtk1hyuY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kirin whores for world.

What's the point of the heat gauge in MHG? Why gimp an already shitty weapon?

>tfw no Monster Hunter World for Nintendo Switch

keep autism out

>as a Prowler, Hyper Gore is easier than Seltas Queen for some reason
What the fuck?

Also is it viable to use a cat without World's Strongest?

All in Gen of course.

>tfw no prowler mode in World

Is /mhg/ gay?

Welcome to the modern /mhg/

you can get mhxx on switch in england? please explain, im chronically autistic

youtube.com/watch?v=t6ZS_hNYnxI
youtube.com/watch?v=QNyKrK-pB8s
youtube.com/watch?v=YMPPtk1hyuY
say it with me

EVERY
WEAPON
CAN
BEAT
EVERY
MONSTER

>b-b-b-but [upset rambling]

Those don't count, they are using skills!

>20 minutes
lmao, what's that supposed to prove

They should just limit quests to 5 minuets.
Gotta go fast!

MH would be seriously fucking boring if every weapon was equally good.
Being able to make fun of weaker weapons, or the hype when you see an underdog weapon doing well, all of that would be lost.

>le stutter meme
He literally just proved that every weapon can beat every monster. He didn't say it will beat your mushiking stick.

1. If one weapon is clearly better than others, it will be the choice for most players. This makes online play boring.

2. If there are no balance issues with the series, then why does Capcom change motion values slightly every game or introduce new - better, faster - movesets?

3. Why was Striker lance motion values nerfed slightly in MHXX compared to MHG, if no such thing as "balance" exist?

OR (yes) is it just a few really retarded anonymous posters here who are forcefully presenting their bloated retarded opinions as facts? (yes)

just load the goal into a fucking airplane and ship everything to china

>1. If one weapon is clearly better than others, it will be the choice for most players. This makes online play boring.
That's a problem with the playerbase, not the game.
>3. Why was Striker lance motion values nerfed slightly in MHXX compared to MHG, if no such thing as "balance" exist?
They nerfed aerial and adept lance more than they nerfed striker, Capcom doesn't give a shit about balance they just throw out numbers at random

>20 minutes vs 7 minutes
>a-any weapon c-can
>n-no such thing as b-balance
this general is retarded

he clearly making fun of the other person, user

>That's a problem with the playerbase, not the game.
I wish I was still this innocent.

You've yet to make a solid case for why all weapons should have equal kill times.

>Also is it viable to use a cat without World's Strongest?
Define viable.

>That's a problem with the playerbase, not the game.
No. It's an issue with the game and poor design.
>They nerfed aerial and adept lance more than they nerfed striker, Capcom doesn't give a shit about balance they just throw out numbers at random
You're contradicting yourself again. If you can't figure out how again, fuck off and stop posting.

1. If one weapon is clearly better than others, it will be the choice for most players. This makes online play boring.
online play is already literally cheating, so it should be boring.
2. If there are no balance issues with the series, then why does Capcom change motion values slightly every game or introduce new - better, faster - movesets?
you're misunderstanding. balance shouldn't matter. and doesn't.
retarded players think otherwise, and whine to capcom on a daily basis.

3. Why was Striker lance motion values nerfed slightly in MHXX compared to MHG, if no such thing as "balance" exist?
see above. whack-a-mole player pandering.

>2000+ hunts on prowler
I'll probably put down World after clearing the last monster desu

of all the generals ive been in, /mhg/ is the only one with a dedicated Catapult used for launching the goal posts into orbit around mars

That user is saying it doesn't matter because IG can do it faster. Every weapon has to have clear times that are close.

Skill should be rewarded. Not what item you equip.

Nobody said it is balanced. He just stated that every weapon can meet the quota at the end of the day.
>this general is retared
True, you are a good example.

it beat the monster
SAY IT WITH ME
E V E R Y
W E A P O N
C A N
B E A T
E V E R Y
M O N S T E R

Nice goalpost. Issues is balance, not if it is possible. There's a clear imbalance and you're talking about possibility to kill any monster. You're retarded. Kill yourself.

Enrich the genepool.

Nobody is arguing that it's not imbalanced, you're just the only person here who gives a shit that it's imbalanced.
Imbalance is fun and exciting.

To give an example, since i'm shit at the game i take like 17 minutes to complete the first Rajang quest with it. Or 5 minutes for the village Glavenus.

I completely ignored the skill all this time and i only wanted to know if by equally playing as shit i would either reduce or highten the times.

E V E R Y
W E A P O N
C A N
B E A T
E V E R Y
M O N S T E R

>every weapon is viable
>imbalance
pick one and only one, my good friend who has one too many chromosomes

>Imbalance is fun and exciting
no it's not you fucking idiot, i can't even imagine how you can think that

name 1 (ONE) (uno) successful well-balanced game.
i'll wait.

He wants sub-5 hunts with every weapon though. That is the balance he wants.

Holy kek, it is just you and other autists are complaining about "imbalanced". You fucks act like it is such a big issue when no one actually cares about it and STILL use the weapons that they I like.

someone post the average TA kill times please

hello

VNs :^)

>TAs

>balancing is hard so we shouldn't do it
just kill yourself at this point
anyway, to answer you i'd say Torchlight

Not relevant. you're not good enough to approach those times on any weapon.

>successful
>torchlight
balance actually isn't hard at all. but imbalanced games are more fun.
diablo 2 was wildy successful and had some of the most imbalanced gameplay there was.
dark souls 1, same story.

Why should defensive weapons be as strong as offensive ones?
Why should a support weapon be on par with a damage only weapon?

If you die more because you're more squishy there's no point in using world's strongest.
For hyper marathons and some higher level deviants I use a guard cat instead.

retard

XX has crossplay with the Switch as of the latest patch right?

I came from Souls and expected to get shat on for using IG all the time when I learned that it was the strongest weapon, but it turns out that in this community you're considered a shitter for NOT making the game easier for yourself. If you refuse to use flash bombs on rathalos and trapchain diablos and use IG or ideally GS since it's easier to use on everything you're a huge shitter even if you just reveal this is how you play solo. I think it's because MH is a coop game while Souls is supposed to be coop but everyone fixates on the pvp aspect, and secretly all these people are shitters so in MH they want their allies to use good shit and make the game easier for them and in Souls they want their enemies to use weak shit so they're easier to beat.

Anyway point is people here aren't likely to think you're bad for using IG and HBG almost exclusively, they're likely to consider you a valuable teammate. For your personal edification I'd suggest getting good with a weaker weapon though. Maybe not SA or GL since they feel horrible to use, but maybe HH (which is even weaker than those solo, but feels a lot better, at least to me), LS or Lance (strong in most games but weak in 4U, both are really fun imo and while you may not get the best times you can easily solo everything with them).

He's not even half right, GL is usually the most expensive weapon to make since it inexplicably requires double the rare materials and unrelated GLs require rare parts from endgame blast- or fire-related monsters most of the time (eg blasthearts). GL is the most expensive but also the weakest.

That you can beat a 140 in a mere 40% of the allotted time with the weakest weapon class in the game, without even counting relics, which horns benefit from more than most weapons (which is a running theme, the only strong weapon that benefits more than average from relics is GS but almost all weak weapons do).

Not an argument.

I like the basic concept of the heat gauge, shells made more fluid with the rest of the weapon by buffing your pokes with a neat and logical visual effect, but the implementation was terrible.

Yes.

retard

it's still better than release trailer vs announce trailer

>40%
You're that faggot that said 50% was awful even if it was 2 minutes in normal hunts?

>SA or GL
>tfw use GS and CB when I do my TAs
>tfw use exactly SA and GL when online
Ouch, seeing people shit on my main babies stings. Can't deny they lose when it comes to dps but they aren't that garbage either.

>if they hadn't nerfed the MVs so heat gauge was necessary to get back to 4U MVs it would have been the buff GL needed to hit midtier
absolutely lmao

>expecting to get shat on
I thought that was how this place was, but it seems to have changed into a place where using easy mode shit is wanted since it makes fights easiest and quicker.

I still can't believe there are people retarded enough to unironically believe the tech demo was a reveal.

>diablo 2 was wildy successful and had some of the most imbalanced gameplay there was.
Yeah, and nobody ever uses the weak shit, imagine that. Games like that are successful DESPITE their balance issues, because they still manage to be good games even if you only consider all the strong options.

it became that way after X released.
all the good players left, and all the casual brainlets who think they are good at the game flooded in.

This is an argument that some retard new to asymmetric games always makes, for years it has come up. It's pretty easy to disarm, thankfully.

>Why should defensive weapons be as strong as offensive ones?
A good game does not ever force the player to take damage, therefore offensive weapons used correctly will take exactly as much damage as a "defensive" weapon. If the offensive weapon is arbitrarily better, then there is no reason to use the alternative.

>Why should a support weapon be on par with a damage only weapon?
See above. Combat games that say one weapon is better at combat because reasons are always doomed. The difference between HH and Hammer isn't their potential damage, it's how they deal it.

That's only the discord though.

using weak shit successfully feels good
switching to powerful shit after using weak shit feels good
if everything was the same power, you would never get those feelings.

Pretty much this.

this place is fucking dead
it's not like i'm not ever coming back like some people claim, but i'm just gonna sage every of my posts, and maybe other people will also do it, and hopefully this general will die

You've clearly never been around in 3U /mhg/ where the thread consensus was that GS, Hammer and HBG were the only good weapons, and people would question you for using other weapons.
The advantage "defensive" weapons should have is by creating more openings for themselves by being able to just tank through attacks without having to stop, evade and reposition. If that ability is used to maximum effectiveness, why shouldn't such a weapon be just as efficient as one that can only do massive damage, but has to actively avoid getting hit?

if you've touched gen/XX, you're part of the cancer.

cool story bro

glad i wasn't, third gen was a similar period of casual garbage and a false sense of being good at an easy game.

Weapon balance in 4U is shit.

Why play a lance or hammer when a GS can stun and deal 5 times the damage?

Switching to weak shit after using powerful shit feels HORRIBLE though.
Switching to a weapon with a completely different playstyle and learning it to its full potential to be just as strong as the weapon you were using before feels good too.

The real answer has to do with play style. Do you play every weapon the same?
With a shield weapon, you can sty in attacks and attack right after letting you make windows for damage, while the non shield weapons are faster at getting large damage in small windows between attacks.

please dont use the word casual, you'll attract ryperior and his stupid copypasta

fuck off nintendie

Please clarify, this sentence makes no sense to me.

>using GL and SA online
Unless you're one in a million you are a huge burden on everyone around you. I've yet to meet an SA online that wasn't a giant piece of shit, and GLs that aren't are rare by the weapon's very nature, though I've met a fair number that make a clear effort to only shell up/far away from everyone else if at all.

Anyway I wasn't shitting on those for their bad DPS, I was shitting on them because they feel bad to use. If you enjoy them that's fine, but I find them to be the least enjoyable weapons, even when they're strong (SA in Gen, for example).

My experience was only a couple of months after 4U's release so that isn't true at all. I don't know how it was for FU/Tri/3U. If anything since X's release I've seen less weapon elitism despite the game being even worse than 4U when it comes to balance. Of course, there weren't 140s for people to fail to solo and then want a team of three IGs to carry them through anymore.

>A good game does not ever force the player to take damage, therefore offensive weapons used correctly will take exactly as much damage as a "defensive" weapon. If the offensive weapon is arbitrarily better, then there is no reason to use the alternative.
A good game also makes defencive weapons rely on their defencive tactics for optimal damage, eg 4U CB's GPs and Lance's counters/endless attack windows from iframing attacks. Lance's counter being worthless against a lot of G rank because it always blocks exactly one hit even if two land simultaneously is horseshit though.

It's not, it's only fucked in 140 TA.

a person might

idk

hate greatsword?

wait until the souls players and other people MHW on PC will bring come to this general

Reminder, Unless you can produce proof of one of these:

PRETTY GOOD TIER---------------------
>Raging Brachydios, Molten Tigrex NON-CB SOLO
>140 GQ SOLO
>Apex Zinogre, Deviljho or Diablos SOLO
>FU "Land of tremors" SOLO
>"Monster Hunter" SOLO From any game but X/Gen/XX
>"The Master's Test" 4U SOLO
>Supremacy Unknown, Dora, Teostra or PariaPuria Adrenaline SOLO
DAMN NIGGA TIER----------------------
>ANY endgame quest NAKED SOLO
>Conquest Monster LV250+ SOLO
>HC Guanzorumu SOLO
>G rank Exotic species SOLO
>G rank Origin Species SOLO
>G rank Hardcore Lunastra
>G rank Hardcore Elder dragon SOLO
LEGENDARY TIER------------------------
>140 GQ NAKED SOLO
>Shiten Disufiroa (ANY KILL)
>Shiten Unknown (ANY KILL)
>Duremudira (ANY KILL)
>Musou variants (ANY KILL/REPEL)
GOD TIER------------------------------------
>Yellow Sharpness 140 Zinogre SOLO
>Shiten Disufiroa SOLO
>Shiten Unknown SOLO
>Duremudira (Second district) SOLO
>Any Musou Monster SOLO

You are a casual.

End this meme, while it's true that it's worse against Apex specifically the balance is shit everywhere

Give me an example non-140 monster

>"The Master's Test" 4U SOLO
damn, I've only done it online...................................

Some retard said the weakest weapon were 50% slower both in normal hunt and TA as if it meant anything, TA have a 10 min difference while normal hunts have, worst case, a 4 min difference.

>Reminder, Unless you can produce proof of one of these:
>
>PRETTY GOOD TIER---------------------
>>Raging Brachydios, Molten Tigrex NON-CB SOLO
GQ SOLO
>>Apex Zinogre, Deviljho or Diablos SOLO
>>FU "Land of tremors" SOLO
>>"Monster Hunter" SOLO From any game but X/Gen/XX
>>"The Master's Test" 4U SOLO
>>Supremacy Unknown, Dora, Teostra or PariaPuria Adrenaline SOLO
>DAMN NIGGA TIER----------------------
>>ANY endgame quest NAKED SOLO
>>Conquest Monster LV250+ SOLO
>>HC Guanzorumu SOLO
>>G rank Exotic species SOLO
>>G rank Origin Species SOLO
>>G rank Hardcore Lunastra
>>G rank Hardcore Elder dragon SOLO
>LEGENDARY TIER------------------------
GQ NAKED SOLO
>>Shiten Disufiroa (ANY KILL)
>>Shiten Unknown (ANY KILL)
>>Duremudira (ANY KILL)
>>Musou variants (ANY KILL/REPEL)
>GOD TIER------------------------------------
>>Yellow Sharpness 140 Zinogre SOLO
>>Shiten Disufiroa SOLO
>>Shiten Unknown SOLO
>>Duremudira (Second district) SOLO
>>Any Musou Monster SOLO
>
>You are a casual.

upvoted

This means no cats.

May today bring me fun hunts and two dynamos.

Oh, there he is

He's a Frontier shitter who's barely played mainline, but freely lays judgement upon it. just ignore

>you are a huge burden
Ouch, damn. Anyway, I use the vertical slashing in sword mode to prevent tripping and use the standard poke poke or upswing poke then spam charged shots with my wide 5 GL. Don't worry, most of the time I switch to high tier weapons on 140 rooms. Gotta have the spotslight by dealing the highest damage output :^)

>spam charged shots with my wide 5 GL
So, you're throwing rocks?

>The advantage "defensive" weapons should have is by creating more openings for themselves
>The real answer has to do with play style. Do you play every weapon the same?
>A good game also makes defencive weapons rely on their defencive tactics for optimal damage,

This is how it should work, yes, and that's usually the exact case for the lance. It'd be poor for someone to think an optimally played lance should deal any less damage over time than an optimally played greatsword. We are currently in a general where there are players unironically arguing that some weapons should be the best because they're harder to make or more offensive in nature.

There are people who believe this exact thing, in many different games. That thing being that some weapons are all about attack, so they should be inarguably better at killing in a game where killing is the only goal.

I think you mistook the meaning of my post. First of all that person was right, that discrepancy still constitutes horrible balance when it's the same % of the time spent (eg if GS takes 10 minutes in a 140 and 3 minutes in a non-140 and HH takes 20 minutes in a 140 and 6 minutes in a non-140, HH still takes twice as long as GS, which is just really bad balance, though with HH you have to consider team buffs). But more importantly I was saying it literally didn't matter, you not only can solo anything in the game with any weapon including HH but you can do so in a small portion of the 50 minutes you're allotted for most quests. I was not saying 40% of the allotted time was bad, I was saying 40% of the allotted time was good.