/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Malaise Era Cousin Fucking Edition
>too lazy for namefag updates

Incoming pasta:

>Cars are considered """classic""" at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something to be classic and, no, your shitbox 1993 Honda Miata is not a classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Performance > Cosmetics

>Metal > Plastic

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>It's perfectly fine to use RTV. Ignore the haters.

>If you see rust there is probably more.

>rust and bodywork are by far the most difficult thing to repair.

>Electrical work is second most difficult.

>The hardest part of an engine swap is getting the wiring sorted out.

>Do NOT buy a classic and plan to pay somebody to work on it. You need to be able to do 90% or greater of the work or you will go broke.

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, unless you have years of experience under your belt. If all the salty old hands agree, it's probably true.

Attached: 9d9df1935deb77c2d3820408d030025b--rednecks-cadillac.jpg (564x423, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_44kGHBbzpQ
youtu.be/NTSQ-bWoJh4
youtu.be/ZAroY09SdZk
batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/d/64-corvair-monza/6513783055.html
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1976-camaro/6510615829.html
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1979-camaro-z28/6510499276.html
dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/1976-camaro/6518731572.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1980-chevy-camaro/6516197381.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1970-gto-judge-clone-runs-and/6521728603.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/79pontiac-trans-am/6527116381.html
dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/trans-am-firebird-1980/6523196498.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well gents I got an update on the camaro. Still haven't been able to work on it till this weekend but I've been pouring over my digital manuals and coming up with the following course of action
-bought plugs with correct reach and correct gap and also a resistor. Directly cross reference to the oem spec
*gonna post pics of old plugs here for feedback*
-bought new thermal vacuum switch for the EFE flapper. The old one was either wired wrong, broken, or not the right temp range but regardless I got the right one in case it needs replacing
Also familiarized myself with how to test all of the smog components for serviceability. Gonna do a complete inspection to make sure it's running clean as possible
- Ordered crank pulley and alternator bracket and correct spacers. Gonna have perfect belt alignment to minimize slippage and make sure my blowers atomizing and burning as much fuel as completely as possible
-also gonna reset timing to factory spec of 8 degrees BTC at 500rpm in drive with brake on as confirmed by me (not trusting shop)
-busting out vacuum gauge and attempting to correct idle air fuel for smoothest idle and best vacuum

Now for the kicker the vacuum leak from the tank. I've sources all the parts on summit and a brand new system that is tank, sending unit, straps, sound damper, is all ~300 on summit. That's.....manageable... but hopefully I just need to replace a vacuum line. Gonna drop the tank and inspect.
Which leads me to my question, I have staining under my fuel tank. Looks wet still. Safe to assume my tank is compromised?

Attached: 1520431512021.jpg (583x640, 89K)

Yay, new thread. im a stupid phone poster so the thread lags after 200 posts and it takes forever to make a post

Attached: 20180105_162850.jpg (2576x1932, 1.31M)

Note
This whole maintenance schedule is situational dependant on the weather and my dad's mechanic. If the guy calls that he can take the car then it's getting driven up (with all smog bypassed to avoid further damage) straight to his shop. If not then I got 72 hours to unfuck it

Changed the diff fluid, pinion and ring have a lot of slack but I put lucas in it so it's good.

Also did motor mounts and trans mount. Now all the interior bits rattle at a stoplight.

For tomorrow I've got some aluminum-y bubbly wrapp-y looking insulation to put under the headliner before summer hits, and control arm bushings for the entire suspension.

Looking at MN12 T-birds and cougars for an IRS swap inspiration. Was IRS ever a thing on foxbody T-birds?

Attached: dellata.jpg (768x432, 65K)

Guys my evap leak might actually be entirely my fault. My car had AC when I bought it. I deleted the AC. Unbeknownst to me is that factory a.c. cars had a sending unit with two barbs for evap lines one goes straight to the vapor cannister and the other goes to like am idle vacuum switch and then the evap cannister. When I removed the a.c. I plugged the line at the cannister. The one from the tank.... not quite sure. It could very well be wide fuckin open. I may have just solved all my issues without even popping the hood

Attached: 1520517117154.jpg (753x601, 29K)

Don't worry my dude. If you didn't leave in a gulag state you wouldn't even have a problem to begin with. Don't give up

headliner out for the last(?) time

>buy car
>appears to have factory A/C
>buy parts for factory A/C car
>doesnt fit
>car is factory not-A/C
>spend entire week with dash apart waiting for factory not-A/C heater core to arrive

Attached: IMG_0094.jpg (3264x2448, 1.67M)

I hate vaccume opperated systems. Who thought that was a good idea? The MC has vaccume powered power brakes, that just seems stupid considering how fucky brake lines are.

So was your car always a basket case,or just part of the territory of all the mods while trying to follow commifornia rules?

Oh, LuxN! There is an AST with a 78 bronco with a diesel swap in it.

It was previously just all bypassed

Sounds like a much better option

Yea but I gotta smog it or just find someone to take cash I guess. Pretty sure it's a felony though and I'm currently in backgrounds for the sheriff's dept. It could severely fuck everything up if I were to get caught

Have you considered buying a tiny plot of land in Texas/Alabama, and registering it there? Seriously, you can buy an acre for less than 500.

Calif0rnia has laws to cuck you on that S well. I think it's if the car is gonna be in the state for more than 90 days it has to get re registered here. My buddy got caught like that the same cop saw him twice within 90 days in traffic with Florida plates and busted him

God that place sucks

Cleaning the streets

As I look more at this photo, could this possibly be a sbc? I know the engine bay is empty and all, but it does look small in it.

Attached: MVIMG_20180116_080510.jpg (1512x1134, 151K)

And can anyone tell me how hard it would be to replace the T5 with an auto? I'm finding 700r4s that have been built up for a lot cheaper than any manual trans.

Wow, you could fit a V12 in there no problem

Fun point of reference for those like myself who are dealing with stuck engines; all Mopars with automatics made before Model Year 1966 can be push started. The same goes for all Packard cars with Ultramatic transmissions.

There are some things I love about early automatic transmissions.

why would you even think about starting a life there

my grandpa used to push start his dump truck by pushing it with the bucket of his excavator
good times

Vulcan V6

What gets me is that the only reason you can't push start most automatics is because the automotive companies decided that feature wasn't important enough to keep adding a separate pump to the transmission for.

Finally got these gentlemen to idle last night

Attached: 20180307_212739.jpg (4032x3024, 3.96M)

Career advice request inbound:
Okay guys so in my area looks like the two possibilities are
>jiffy lube wage cuck. Minimum wage lube tech with on the job crosstraining with the line techs and access to jiffy lubes online database and ase test prep. After two years I could take the ase and jiffy lube would pay for it.

Or

Auto and diesel tech course at UTI. 72 weeks long. GI Pays for tuition and gives me like 2 grand a month to pay my rent. Could potentially work part time for extra cash. Knocks off one year from the 2 year requirement

Keep in mind, the GI Bill only pays BAH on months that you're in school. Idk how UTI works, maybe they don't have long breaks like a traditional university.

Anyone out there ever swap their gas tank for a bigger one? I'm thinking of putting a 22 gal tank from a mustang into my falcon.

Any of y'all got an M22 by chance? Or even an M20/21 and want to trade some highway gears for 3.73s?

I was looking it up apparently it's 72 weeks Monday thru Friday. It's in the evenings too so I could still be a jiffy cuck in the mornings and weekends.

I'm seriously considering taking a year off to attend school there or at a community college and work at jiffy cucks. The cutoffs for sheriff is like 44 years old so I could still go back afterwards anyways. I earned educational benefits might as well cash it in learn something about a trade

Oh well if it's a constant 72 weeks then I'd do it. I'd call UTI and talk to their VA official and ask how the GI Bill works there. Ask how long it takes to actually get BAH paid to you. I didn't get mine until like 2 months into the semester when I was in school

1973 1303 Super beetle

Previous owner(s) have put in One piece windows with the original winding mechanism is giving up.

I managed to remove the mechanism and all that stuff but am unsure how to remove the glass. Literally every part of the winder is outside the door.

What's left in the door is the handle & lock and a guide rail for the window.

Any suggestions?

Attached: 20180314_191157[1].jpg (3473x2329, 1.97M)

Yea that's not a bad idea. I submitted my information on the website they'll probably call me soon if not I'll call them

Convince me not to buy this LT1 swapped 1989 XJS.

Attached: jag.jpg (1200x900, 239K)

Its not LS swapped

Holy fuck my dream car

Attached: IMG_2589.jpg (1710x1718, 257K)

That's a big block you goober

Found my problem, Flexplate is bent, Brand new one at that. The torque converter lines up with the holes fine on one side but not the other.

$35 in diesel, 8 hours of driving, an electrical short and $tree fiddy later.

Attached: 20180314_171154.jpg (2722x3629, 2.5M)

god i luv my piece of shit car

Attached: IMG_0280.jpg (3264x2448, 2.11M)

nigga the engine is vacuum operated. Almost everything needed is vacuum operated.

If it has the push button auto i believe you can throw it into reverse and it'll just sit in Neutral until it comes to a stop.

Mad max logo?

I think we all do.

Never surrender.

youtube.com/watch?v=_44kGHBbzpQ

in three different spots
enjoy this 7(?) month old video that ill upload 2 to youtube

youtu.be/NTSQ-bWoJh4

sorry for the audio, its bad in sum spots

Attached: IMG_0265.jpg (3264x2448, 2.66M)

Well, regardless of transmission, if I get that MC, I've got to run open headers on it after the start up rev on this video

youtu.be/ZAroY09SdZk

Let's be honest youre not gonna change engines or tranny swap anything or build ANYTHING. You're obviously incompetent as fuck since you couldn't even diagnose a no start condition and you ruin every car you touch. Only a complete dumbass would insist on some of completely moronic engine and transmission pairings you keep bringing up, have zero concept of transmission gearing and rear end ratios, butcher and impala, ruin a dart, and then suggest selling a new and perfectly functioning Tacoma to satisfy some boyhood delusion of being cool with a "badass ride" please just shut the fuck up and stop posting. Nobody cares about muh sick revs muh straight pipes muh badass roar. Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

Best of both worlds. I'd consider it.

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

-I wasn't the one who put in that set up, I'm just the one dealing with it.
-I've fixed a crap ton of stuff on all the cars I've had, only "ruining" I've done is paint, and that's subjective.
-you act like no starts are the simplest thing in the world, shit happens sometimes.
-where are you getting the gearing idea from?
-tell me how i butchered the Impala, or any of my vehicles?

Like I said, who pissed in your fucking Cheerios?

Can you see out of your back window at all?

Love the car btw.

You literally haven't done anything other than some shitty rustoleum paint and hack up perfectly good bodies. You couldn't even identify an HEI vs a Points not too long ago. Shit you couldnt even id a big block TODAY! Just fuck off stop larping like you even know how to do anything or work on cars at all. You've been ripped Off by how many shops? You've been given clear cut advice by how many tripfags? And yet here we are again at square one: Roastie with some brain dead ass idea that will obviously not work out and will result in another ruined car

I commented about how small the 454 looked in the engine bay. I haven't done a Rust-Oleum job, and ya I couldn't identify a part because I was unfamiliar with it. We all start out somewhere.

Go off somewhere else if you've got nothing ccg related.

not really. it sucks

And yet again, I ask what I've hacked up? Only body mod I've done was a hood scoop. Best part? It's on my car. I can do whatever the fuck I want to with it.

I know I'm not drag, Cutlass, or Lux, but I'm decent. I come here for advice, talk about wild ideas, and have fun. I don't need to hear from some user who probably doesn't do shit. I get enough crap from my co-workers for "breaking" all the cars I touch despite 9/10 they drive out after I've fixed multiple issues: especially since they can't take off their own tires without help.

10/10, you got me to reply because I've had it today with people.

The Plymouth engine still won't turn. It's looking like I'm going to have to pull the motor and rebuild it.

That just turned this from a quick project to a long-term one; which means I'm going to put it on the back-burner and focus on the Packard.

Still; she looks great with air in the tires.

Attached: rsz_20180314_175841.jpg (3024x2268, 1.87M)

What signs tell you rebuild over something smaller?

unpopular opinion: Throw a 3.6 Pentastar from a shit(vehicle) in there.

Probably because his engine is seized.

Ah... I thought he meant like turn over...my bad.

Which one of y'all likes corvairs so much?

Would you say this is just a tad overpriced?
batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/d/64-corvair-monza/6513783055.html

Pictures of a picture. Buyer beware. Seems fishy to me. Also no, seems too high of a price. Monzas are cool though.

Fuckin idiot

What’s in your fleet?

>61 Mercedes
>92 Chevy
>77 Yamaha
>65 International P/U C1100
>a couple tractors but there are no tractor threads.

>15,000
>for a 6k car
haha hahahahhahahahahahahaha

Attached: kek.jpg (655x653, 99K)

I completely understood your post.

Attached: ok-hand-medium-dark-skin-tone.png (256x256, 38K)

Thoughts on these? 1st is owned by a black Boomer who is very boomerish.

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1976-camaro/6510615829.html

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1979-camaro-z28/6510499276.html

dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/1976-camaro/6518731572.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1980-chevy-camaro/6516197381.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1970-gto-judge-clone-runs-and/6521728603.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/79pontiac-trans-am/6527116381.html

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/trans-am-firebird-1980/6523196498.html

Honest opinions on these?

Thank you guys for the window crank tip. Good news the window regulator was just missing a nut. It works great now and i sprayed some lube in there

Attached: 20180314_172759.jpg (2576x1932, 1.05M)

Who the fuck wants a smog motor era car?

optispark
inboard rear brakes
british wiring

The rear brakes ain't that big a deal since they do a lot less braking than the fronts.
Basically just check on them whenever you do the fronts and change after, i dunno, 150-200,000 or so.

It's just the options within my budget.

Have been writing down parts I need this week
-Super Front End Kit PST $359.00
-Front sway bar bushing kit AMES $40.00
-Rear sway bar bushing kit AMES $40.00
-Body mounts (subframe to body) AMES $200.00
-Rear drum brake kits AMES $60.00
-Park Brake Kit AMES $119.00
-Rear brake hose AMES $30.00

Im already down to a meal a day...

86 that "judge" dude. I wouldn't pay a fuckin time for that trash

Won't bolt up to the transmission.

Ya, I asked for more pics and info and he told me to look at the ad. Very boomerish.

the more I look at Craigslist the more I'm thankful I got my car for $3,000

...So use the transmission from whatever Dodgey half-ton the engine comes from?

Wait, they're in half-ton Dodgeys, right?

time for the sacrilegious driveline swap. Keep it mopar though, 440 out of a ramcharger

craigslist prices have risen like 50% since the turn of the year. Thanks Trump

I said it a couple threads backs, but in all seriousness boomers have forgotten how their frivolous spending and loan-boners caused the last economic crash. They were pawning off their cars for 800 bucks in 2008, now they knows what they gots all over again. Fuck the loan economy desu

Which one

There has to be a million Tremecs per square inch in the Earth's crust.

Pentastar is Mopar.

The "judge"

Can you register a classic car with regular tags or do you have to register it historic? Pls help me I can't find any answers to this, I would assume yes but I don't know

I dun it, it needs regular inspection though (state laws)

How regular? And how did your emissions go?

>Pentastar is Mopar
yes? A v6 in a landboat would still be a tragedy

yearly. in my state everything older 1975 is exempt from emissions.

It needs to be said that a 3.6 has more net horsepower then a 1960 318 had gross horsepower.

Coulda had a v8 mentality generally underwrites some pretty excellent engines.

I mean, of course a modern engine has a greater output than 60 year old design, it's not a very fair comparison. The main advantage of the V6 is the form factor, when choosing between engines of comparable vintage I'll pick the V8 every time, unless I want to save weight. And saving weight doesn't make much sense in a 5000lb car

What's the stigma then about the pentatsar v6 vs the amc 242 straight six? When I had a jeep that was all anyone argued about. Ease of mods? Low end Torque?

>1950 Packard Custom 8
>1960 Plymouth Fury
>1966 Imperial Crown Sedan
>1968 Cadillac DeVille convertible
>1976 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow LWB
>1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V Bill Blass
>1981 DeLorean DMC-12
>1984 Pontiac Fiero Indy

The Pentastar has some very questionable design choices for one.

I'd like to keep the pushbutton transmission, as it's an early 727. I still have a few tricks I'm trying.

I don't think a Pentastar would be worth the effort if I'm going to swap it; though, honestly, I like the look of the 318 and may just rebuild it. Not everything has to have the biggest engine possible.

If you need encouragement, Dulcich was able to get 500hp or something out of a 318.
Sleeper Fury?

So what, are you completely done on the sheriff idea?
UTI would be a great use of your GI bill. You'll learn a lot. And if nothing else, it will give you maximum advantage as a hobbyist. Tech life is fucking brutal though, just fyi. Prepare yourself now. I have practically the comfiest tech job in existence working at [undisclosed] Infiniti, but it's still a tough job.
Honestly, you seem like you were a pretty hard core marine, I think a sheriff job would be more fitting for you. You've been in that line of work and you know what you're doing in it. If you pursue the tech job, Jiffy lube is crap, man. You need to set your sights on a luxury line dealership, preferably a Japanese one. I've been several different places, they are the comfiest by far. In the end it's all your decision though. You want what you want.

On the noteof your emissions problem though, California sounds like a nightmare for a car enthusiast. 3 more years and Texas gives the boot to all the dynos and everything OBD 1 and back can have the cats legally ripped out. Plug and play state inspections from now until the end of time.
Is that a 9" for your corvair?

So do I.

This. Coastie what the fuck are you talking about, 90% of modern cars have vacuum powered brakes.

Fug, I love your car. Love how you followedthrough completely with the mad max theme, interior and everything. I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd end adding new carpet and plushing it up.

Fug. God damn it. Was really hoping to see this thing rat rodded out.

Kek

>1952 Citroën Traction Avant
>1958 Cadillac Series 62
>1960 Triumph TR3
>1966 Land Rover Series IIA
>1973 Land Rover Series III
>1987 Jaguar XJ6
>1987 Alfa Romeo Spider

And last but not least my DD
>2006 Mini Cooper