What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Semi-Automatic Transmissions (aka automated manuals)?

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Semi-Automatic Transmissions (aka automated manuals)?

Attached: 5289745200_9144bbc176_b.jpg (1024x578, 245K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohydraulic_manual_transmission
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's more automatic than it's manual and feels restricting. But if that's your jam go for it.

I hear they're extremely expensive to fix when they inevitably break

shit and jerky

>It's more automatic than it's manual
Well, it really depends on how you define the 'feeling'. From a passenger's point of view, the shifts 'feel' exactly like a manual, and It is essentially a manual with an electronically operated clutch, it doesn't even have a Parking prawl. It'll roll backwards on hills like nobody's business. The reason I like it is because it gives the feel of a manual without the tiring aspect of operating the clutch during peak traffic hours.

Personally I think it's a nice feature to have on an automatic if you mean paddle shifters

Really nice on windy freeways with lots of turns and inclines

My transmission actually shifts more smoothly when I’m changing the gears as opposed to leaving it in the auto setting. It’s more engaging, feels better, but also isn’t a pain in traffic, so I like it. I am planning to get my dream car in 6 speed, but for maintenance reasons mostly.

Trash.

Waste of time.

If you want a manual, get a manual.
If you want to be a faggot, get an automatic.

Can you drive the car without having to touch the shifter or paddles (besides parking)?

If the answer is yes, then the car is automatic. PERIOD.

Stop trying to make up new categories because you feel insecure about either not liking or not being able to drive a car with a clutch pedal. Ignore the stupid fags that equate driving sick with masculinity if you must but don't go sound insisting that dct and automated single clutch transmissions are manuals of some kind.

Manual != having a clutch. It means you need to engage and row your own gears are else the car won't move.

I've had a manual tranny since my first car many many years ago.
I am tempted to buy a automatic this time!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohydraulic_manual_transmission
SMG transmissions are literally manuals though, the shifts feel exactly like a manual, you have to leave it in gear when parking it, the only difference is that the clutch is not operated by your brain, but by a computer, in an on-demand sort of way. It actually gives the best of both worlds really.

Attached: EAE3800E-D969-4470-92F1-7F55A2C576DC.png (1016x579, 623K)

My mom’s 92 camry that I daily is manual though so it’s the only thing that lets me feel like an enthusiast, thus I won’t allow other transmissions to be called manual or else I won’t feel like a special snowflake

>No clutch pedal
>hurrrrrrr it's a manual guys

Attached: IMG_9443.jpg (628x534, 69K)

I like a clutch

I had a drive of a dual clutch car the other day, personally I prefer a torque converter because if I'm gonna be stuck in an automatic at least have it be smooth, reliable and long lasting

This.
>Oh the new 506 hp RWD Giulia Quadrifoglio is auto-only? it's automatically not a driver's car and my '94 civic is more engaging because I can stroke a phallic stick around endlessly and pretend like I'm achieving something.

Attached: muh manual.jpg (300x186, 10K)

>posting an objective truth ironically

Attached: IMG_7810.jpg (419x480, 92K)

It literally is a manual gearbox you fucking artard

Dual clutch and smg are awesome for the track but annoying to daily

Das rite, it doesn’t matter if the car is completely gutless, has shit handling and fwd platform, it’s still superior as long as it has dat dere clutch pettle

Only by definition, you tard. You aren't shifting gears, you are only politely requesting a computer to do it.

>It literally is a manual gearbox you fucking artard

Attached: IMG_9893.jpg (1000x667, 187K)

>He thinks the presence of a PEDAL is what defines a TRANSMISSION

Attached: 1516959239256.jpg (588x823, 109K)

>clutch is actuated electronically
>YOU’RE NOT SHIFTING GEARS!
lel okay, by that logic you’re not braking or steering either, just politely requesting the braking and steering systems to do it. You don’t start the car either, you politely request the starter to do it.

Yeah nice argument, it is by definition a manual gearbox. Muh meme pedal doesn’t change that.

>look guys! the ///M stands for manual transmission!!!!!!

Attached: IMG_9894.jpg (524x390, 62K)

You are have mechanical connection to the steering rack and the brake fluid. When you press the brake pedal, you aren't requesting a computer to apply pressure.

Attached: '.png (497x376, 354K)

>look guys, I have no argument as to why a manual gearbox that has a clutch isn’t a manual gearbox!

So if the clutch is hydraulically actuated then it’s a manual?

driven some sequential manuals on track. was p fun

Unreliable, which is unfortunate.

If I have direct control over the gears, then it's manual
e.g.
>Sequential Manual Transmission

Attached: 1520969204723.jpg (811x811, 104K)

>Bottom-hinged pedals
Why do Germans do this?

>man i love driving my e46 m3 with its manual transmission!!!!

Attached: IMG_9897.jpg (1000x667, 212K)

Exactly, it’s what’s inside the gearbox that matters, not whether a pedal activates the clutch or not.

This is the main problem, they’re much more expensive to fix. Not only do you need to change a clutch (or 2) but also need to fiddle around with a pump and its associated parts.

>automated manuals

dont you mean manual automatics?

Are you thick or are you pretending?

Wow, I’m sure glad that some retarded user posted pictures of cars without a manual clutch. That sure convinced me that all of the engineers and manufacturers are totally wrong and that some random idiot on the internet is right.

Are you pretending? It’s a fucking manual gearbox, you can redefine that however you’d like but from an engineering standpoint that’s what it is.

He is that thick otherwise he wouldnt be repeating the same shit over and over

Yeah, you are retarded.

Says the guy who’s literally too mentally handicapped to understand what a gearbox is, and thinks a pedal is what defines a transmission. Jesus kid go do some reading on how transmissions work you fucking moron

I wish torque converter automatics were the only transmissions ever invented to prevent manual transmission autism.

Attached: 55c.jpg (480x375, 29K)

This would have been more effective if it was the happiness and cyanide comic with the dog that says things that hurt you in other ways.

Smg is more manual than automatic it has a clutch but you don't have a pedal for it the pump controls it for you. You can smash it into the red zone if you want and it won't change gear until you tell it to, will roll backwards on inclines or if you leave it in neutral, you have to take your foot of the gas when changing gears just like a manual or that shit will be jerky the smg can be smooth once you learn how it can even let you rev the engine and dump the clutch and take off for a launch most of you guys never driven one also the csl was faster using it

It is perfectly accurate as is.

>h-hehe I posted a meme, now I’m right even though every engineering article on the internet disagrees with me
Thanks for putting the final nail in the coffin of your retardation. Your little dunning-kruger escapades have been pretty entertaining.

Who gives a shit about DSG, we're talking about SMG, which is a literal manual transmission with an electronic clutch

>de combuter shift my gear
>me manueal driver :-))

Attached: 1512446263896.png (645x729, 62K)

Nah, that one is just an ad hominem. If it was the other one, it would reflect a certain assblasted user.

hehehhehehe i presss buton......................i drive manaeul

Attached: 1512386909256.png (406x452, 30K)

I thought that would be the only way to reach your puny brain.
Seems to be ineffective.
I bet you watching Jamal fucking your wife is the same as you fucking her, because it's an actual penis going in her and not a plastic toy.
>will roll backwards on inclines or if you leave it in neutral
Just like a normal automatic would?
> you have to take your foot of the gas when changing gears just like a manual
What kind of poverty-spec smg have you driven?

>you have to take your foot of the gas when changing gears just like a manual
Depends what kind, on the ones I've driven you can keep your foot to the floor when shifting up

me car drive manual me smart

Attached: 1512386943452.png (645x729, 91K)

I think the difference, and the reason for muh stick feels is the skill required to facilitate a gear change. You could argue that by clicking a paddle you are manually facilitating the gear shift. The only difference is the skills needed in facilitation. And when it's so easy anyways, it just seems like the brainlet option.

>electronic shifter
>electronic throttle
>electronic clutch
>manual
pick one

Everyone can tell you've never driven an SMG, if I were you i'd stop replying

Nigga there's no letter P on smg either neutral or a gear

You're getting very angry over this. user.
Are you okay?

Who is talking about P here? I ain't R Kelly.
See

Oh cool, more proof that you’re retarded. Am I supposed to be offended by this brainlet shitposting of yours? Get a grip on yourself man, this is sad.

I’m not saying it takes the same skill to drive an sequential manual as it does a traditional manual. Learning how to operate the clutch pedal is a skill that you don’t develop with an smg or dct. However, there is quite literally no argument that a smg is not a manual gearbox, it is one from the ground up all the way till the clutch control which is the single difference, yet that isn’t how transmissions are defined by the engineers who build them.

Everyone can also tell he has no rational point and thus resorts to furiously
shitposting like a true autist

Attached: projection.jpg (372x323, 15K)

I explained to you rationally why it is manual only by definition, and not in practice. You proceeded to tell me to read a book, showing your lack of reading comprehension or comprehension as a whole. So at least I decided to take the piss out of you at least have some fun and not get mad over your stupidity.

I had an opel meriva with their geartronic system or whatever it was called. It was hell, coming from a manual. Pulling up was slow, I had to let off a little bit of pressure from the gas pedal for it to shift up. Downshifting felt quite random and never at a good time. I sold the car after 6 months. I now drive an classic automatic volvo v40 2004, it drives so much smoother.

>it is manual only by definition
So you've admitted it is objectively a manual? People have different practices and perceive the world differently, which is why we must define things objectively.
Thank you for being a man and admitting defeat

Attached: tips.jpg (415x334, 36K)

You proceeded to create your own definition and then insist it’s an objective fact, when the engineers who created the transmissions in the first place completely disagree with such a definition. Maybe if you had actually taken my advice and done some reading you would’ve realized this instead of making yourself look like an absolute retard. I’m glad you enjoyed yourself, although it saddens me to think I live in a world with true dunning-kruger morons such as yourself. In the end though everyone will very clearly see your lack of knowledge and argumentative skills.

no, it's a single clutch automatic. It shifts gears automatically, without necessary input from the driver. By your definition a DCT is manual as well, because it operates on the same principle as a single clutch automatic just with an extra clutch

No it's not a fucking automatic and won't change gears untill you fucking push the goddamn lever. I guess sequential transmissions are automatics now why the fuck do you think it's so easy to convert smg to manual

Uhh nope, different tech and everything. An SMG is quite literally a manual gearbox. You can redefine this and bash your head against it all you want but the objective definitions given by actual professionals are what really matter, not the opinions of some disgruntled anons on an Eritrean book-binding forum. This user is correct, all you need to do to change an smg to a traditional manual is unbolt the pump and change the clutch to be actuated by a pedal which you install in the pedal box (or replace the whole pedal box)

DCT is literally 2 SMGs in one, each with it's own set of gears. Just because it doesn't have a torque converter, doesn't mean it's a manual.

Yeah that's the only difference, it's the only one that matters too. It's a manual gearbox, just not in spirit, which makes MUH STICK people mad.

No, it is really not as simple as you think it is. Everything inside of a sequential manual gearbox is the same as in a manual gearbox, changing the clutch actuation doesn’t mean it is no longer a manual gearbox.

Exactly, and I’ve already said driving a traditional manual requires more “skill” than driving an smg or dct. Arguing from a mechanical standpoint is just futile, they should just simply latch onto this concept of skill development and be happy with it.

hehehe i press pedal i good driver

You mean DCT's or Steptronics?

DCT's are somewhat ok, Steptronics are just slush boxes in disguise.

I can't believe you fucking retards are arguing that SMG is manual. Shame.

I can’t believe you fucking retards couldn’t prove it isn’t. Muh feely feels is not an argument you imbecile.

>can't skip gears
Not a manual

Has better efficiency than a tc auto
But its just not worth it, if you want efficiency and sportiness get a manual, if you want to be comfy get the auto

If your rich they are amazing in exzotics, if your poor manual is the way to /thread

i can buy a SMG e46 330ci for 5k, hardly an exotic lol

>>If your rich they are amazing in exzotics
>>e46 330ci
>>>>>>>exzotic
what is reading comprehension

Once you learn to spell exotic, then you will make statements that hold any value.

2 pedals = automatic
3 pedals = manual

you can drive them on an automatic only license, simple as that

skipping gears is for trucks

>WELL YA SEE NOW THAT YER ROLLIN YA DONT NEED 2 LOW

Imagine actually believing this.

Everything inevitably breaks, but automatics and semi-autos are certainly more expensive than a standard to repair or replace.

You can skip gears in an SMG you imbecile

I know the clutch is a wear item, but not having to change it in autos is good.

Inb4 Banned in cali

Sweet! How can you skip gears? If you hold the up or downshift lever does it jump to the best gear or something?

I disagree. The term "manual" vs the term "automatic" is, in this context, referring to the transmission and more specifically, the operation of the transmission. If that logic is followed, then a transmission which is controlled with paddle shifters is still automatic, because you're telling the computer to change gears for you.

Also, in response to OP, semi auto transmissions are a fair balance between ease of driving and fun / control which I would take any day over a traditional automatic, but would never pick over a proper manual.

It's literally the same transmission as the manual a fucking 420G getrag, bmw just took away your fucking meme pedal and gave you a pump