Ford's Lincoln Continental is a failure

Wait until you see the-OH NO NO NO NO NO

>Ford Authority, citing “sources intricately familiar with Ford Motor Company’s future product plans for its premium Lincoln brand,” reports that the Conti is getting the axe after this current model. The outlet wasn’t able to dig up any specific reasons, but also notes that Ford invested over $1 billion to resurrect the Continental name.

fordauthority.com/2018/03/lincoln-continental-to-be-discontinued-after-current-generation/

The decision to ax the full-size sedan comes only 18 months after Lincoln re-launched the Continental, which replaced the MKS in the lineup as the brand’s the largest, most premium and most expensive sedan. Since its launch in September 2016 through February 2018 – a period of 18 months – U.S. sales of the Continental tallied a cumulative 18,846 units. Of those, 12,012 came during 2017 – the Conti’s first (and only) full year on the market.

Sales peaked in December 2016, when the luxury sedan accounted for 1,845 units. Since then, sales volumes havebeen on a steadydecline, with December 2017 salessliding 35percent to 1,216 units.In the first two months of 2018, sales totaled a meager815 units in January and 758 units in February. Notably,the February resultwas the lowest-ever monthly sales performance for the current-generation model.

Attached: Lincoln-Continental-Concept-rear-three-quarter1.jpg (2048x1360, 1.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y94O-fm7Mdc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

thats a shame I thought this car was pretty attractive and had a nice interior. I guess nothing could have really saved Lincoln here. Time to scrap the brand

No1 cares about ur copy paste article about doodoo car

Isn't it front wheel drive? Maybe they'll drop in price.

I owned a 96 Lincoln Continental that was FWD so I think they've been doing it that way for awhile. It was also a pretty sweet car.

Attached: 1499949487805.jpg (1600x1200, 310K)

So when's the Town Car coming back?

Just get an MKZ

>tfw no Mark IX ever ever

That's what they should have done. Town Car has been the more iconic Lincoln for the past 30 years and they could have done a lot of cool things with the idea.

N- never... Even if it does, it's just going to be a major disappointment.

Isn't that more or less a Modular-powered Taurus?

Rebadged bullshit isn't going to be able to compete with exclusive platformed cars like the CTS, and pretty much every other luxury car maker sans Acura does with their vehicles.

More like a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis I'd say. Has 100 more HP than the taurus and air suspension.

why doesnt ferd make a lincoln coupe based off moosetang?

When flat died so did Lincoln. Flat is justice.

Attached: 1514386800957.jpg (3000x1688, 607K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Y94O-fm7Mdc

Because the current Mustang is horrible and sells on name recognition alone.

I mean platform-wise. It's pretty clearly not a body-on-frame RWD boat.

God, look at those big-ass windows. You could paint a fucking mural on those and still have enough visibility to make it to Red Lobster by 5.

Ah yeah in that case you're on the money. I was pretty disappointed that it wasn't RWD.

Attached: 1508242233387.png (1287x251, 47K)

Lincoln isn't cushy enough for true luxury, no performance to compete with BMW or Mercedes or Cadillac.

ferd needs to bring back mercury except make it cheaper like a saturn of ferds

I test drove it. It was a disgrace to the continental brand name. RIP won't miss you.

>I guess nothing could have really saved Lincoln here.
you could have bought one.

Tier 2 "luxury" brands belong in the trash.

Attached: 4543543543.png (1340x732, 1.06M)

>the Conti is getting the axe after this current model
This is really fucking obvious and their so called """"source""""" probably doesn't even exist.

Of course it is, it’s a Taurus with a Lincoln badge slapped on.
Lincoln in general is dying because Ford has been progressively moving them further down market for the better part of 4 decades. Lincoln used to be on par with the likes of Rolls Royce. Mercury was created to fill the gap between the cheap Ford and the expensive Lincoln. Now, Lincoln is effectively what Mercury was 25 years ago.

only modern continental I would buy

Attached: 2015-Lincoln-Continental-Concept-1.jpg (1600x880, 332K)

lol, CTS is doa too and will be discontinued soon along with ATS. lincoln and cadillac should only make suvs and crossovers, period

the new navigator is aces and is selling like hotcakes. they need to launch an aviator ASAP

>tfw they don’t sell them in Australia and I want one

Attached: 964A4A52-C760-407C-B4EE-E605B0B57FE5.png (778x512, 34K)

>Infiniti and Lexus on different tiers
>both Japanese rebadged

lmao

Mercury actually used to be a performance brand

A long long time coming. This is one lingering thing from the old way US car companies did things vs the times. I don't get the point of having multiple brand names anymore, especially when they're all the same car with different options. Ford canned Mercury for the same reasons Lincoln needs to go. Just have 1 brand and offer a wider lineup to fit all needs. I don't think the uppity mentality of a 15k Ford devaluing a 65k Ford exists as much these days. But on the other end I'd submit that there's no reason to offer a high end luxury product either. The automotive market is so damn saturated as it is. Leave that segment to Cadillac and focus elsewhere.

>This car is gonna kill the germans for sure this time!!!!

Not even constant shilling on Veeky Forums could save it.

The Continental looks pretty decent, and with most mid range sedans turning into complete land barges it isn't even the odd one out. The issue with Lincoln is that the name brand isn't worth much in the market. There is no Lincoln prestige like there is with Mercedes, or even BMW. The other problem they have is design language. American auto makers are producing some of the most bland generic boxes out there. Theres nothing that makes it really distinct, put any emblem on the grill and it could be sold under any brand.
BMW has their kidney grill, their angry face headlights, the sharp sweeping lines down the profile. It looks distinctly BMW.
Even Mazdas are distinct in their design language.
Is Ford? Nope. Is Chevy? Nope.

Nobody is going to pay luxury prices for a generic car, even if it is nice inside.

I wonder is the same can be said for the navigator.

No

Navigator sales form a tiny share of Ford's total — slightly less than 1,300 out of the 161,000 cars the company sold during January. But they were up 97.5 percent over the same month in 2017, even though Ford's overall sales dropped 6.6 percent, and total Lincoln SUV sales fell almost 20 percent.

Figures that it’s sitting on it’s suspension bumpers with blown out air bags on some Burger’s garbagecar farm.

Which Toyota model is rebadged into the Lexus LS, RC, or LC again?

Infiniti has not been competitive with Lexus ever. They have been falling behind for over a decade. They are basically Acura with RWD and better financing for those with lower/nigger tier credit.

I don't like big cars. It's too big for a sedan.

What is/o/'s thoughts on the Nautilus? Looks neat.

>not basing it off of the 70s barge
Still would definitely buy though

Attached: ea4b4899d39b955b4d80ff290cf66867--a-photo-lincoln-mercury.jpg (633x324, 59K)

Not my picture brother. I had my rear bags replaced, they're too expensive to get fixed.

I can't believe this. The Continental only just recently launches, has been getting really good press it seems (dunno about sales), and is a "halo" model I'd imagine anyone to sell MKZ's and C's.

What kind of volume are large luxury sedans supposed to sell at anyway?

That's a real shame. Hope this doesn't dissuade them from making another luxo-barge sedan
Any chance of salvation for the continental? Maybe the chinese can save the continental like they did to the Buick name?

so two problems with the continental.

>fwd 6
>jaguar ripoff styling

and

>"oh hey there's that Lincoln Dealer right next door to the Ford dealer"

Cadillac and Ford will never be able to escape their rebadged ford/GM dilemma if they keep allowing their lincoln/caddy dealers to park a Continental right next to a fusion in a lot where youve got a dozen lincolns lined up in a parking lot like some kind of used car dealer.

if there's one thing lincoln did right in china, it's making exclusively lincoln dealerships and making them look upscale. so no front parking lots full of cars, or anything. a nice showroom with big glass windows with cars on display.

I'm not surprised, Americans aren't interested in sedans or luxury cars that aren't German or Lexus

You're right about the dealerships. Even Acura has it's own dealerships and they're nice places to be despite them selling rebadged Hondas
Shit, even Hyundai is selling their Genesis cars online and are going to launch a separate dealership network unrelated to Hyundai's and Kia's

> lexus on top, Infiniti and Acura on bottom

Are you an idiot?

>TL;DR Americans are retarded and only buy SUVs

Why am I not surprised? Soon SUVs and crossovers are all the car market will ever be, with the exception of a few perfomrance-oriented cars that only the very rich will ever drive or afford to own.

Are you?

Why Cadillac and Lincoln still bother with cars is beyond comprehension. GMC is printing money with only SUVs, crossovers, and pickups

I'm into cars and for a solid year I didn't know wtf the difference was between a new MKZ and new Continental. They're basically 95% identical. Total failure

Luxo barges and sedans in general are obsolete. With crossovers getting 30mpg, the masses will never embrace sedans again, ditto luxo coupes

Navigator is a winner. they need to cut these sedans a-sap and dumb all that R&D money into their SUVs. Ford designs great pickups and SUVs

I seriously can't comprehend when I see seemingly well off white people driving bran new Escalades. Um, congrats on blowing $85k-100k on that tacky garbage

not true user, theres always crossovers to fall back on!

Attached: 1516416884332.gif (300x160, 2M)