Catch Cans

When routing a catch can in an NA engine, I've seen people route:

1. PCV valve -> Catch can -> air intake
2. PCV valve -> Catch can -> Valve cover vent
3. PCV valve -> catch can -> Intake manifold

My car has vacuum lines already running from
1. Valve cover vent -> Air intake (before throttle body)
2. PCV valve -> intake manifold

Which would be optimal? Does the catch can having a 'breather' make a difference?

Attached: catchcan.jpg (140x132, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=0irwbwpuEbQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It goes from the PCV to the intake.
Don't fuck around, get a Pro-Vent. EBay crap is crap. And definitely don't get a catch can with a smaller diameter inlet/outlet than your engine's standard breather hose.

just dump the oil on the ground

Thanks, Ill check it out.

also, That does that other line between my air intake and the valve cover take air into the valve cover, or expel pressure? If its the later, would I want a second catch can? Is that the purpose of the big catch cans with 4 ports?

pro-vent's look good. Can they be mounted at a non-vertical angle? I have limited space.

whats the difference between a PCV outlet and the valve cover vent? Dont they serve the same purpose?

The idea of the Provent is it cyclones through the removable filter, and drains the separated condensed vapor out the bottom. I doubt it'd be too effective too far from vertical. They make a range of different sizes anyway.
Dunno what the other line would be for, but it definitely would not be for venting crank pressure and oil vapours before the filter.
Dunno about 4 port catch cans either, but a good catch will have an inlet, an outlet and a drain.

>Catch Cans
If you have the newer DI which also has port injection, are catch cans still hugely useful or only marginally useful?

Attached: CRC_Intake_Valve_Cleaner.jpg (212x500, 31K)

What about egr delete

one has a pcv valve (shitty check valve) on it

If you use that kind of shit on a newer turbo car, you'll melt it.

Not really, they use hydrocarbon cleaning all the time.

Since the exhaust manifold is integrated with the turbo, it's too close and will melt.

It won't burn a turbo out. The CRC intake valve cleaner is a mix of petrochemicals and persistent cleaning agents. It soaks the deposits and thus keeps on cleaning deposits for up to one week after application.

It's not going to create Dom's Poor Man's Turbo manifold melting effect like in the Fast and Furious movie.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=0irwbwpuEbQ

It's what Ford says, so....

Attached: 176523192372.jpg (1920x800, 120K)

you dont spray it in before the fucking turbo.

>the face of the 56%

>get pro-vent
ok, i will, butr what about my car?

Attached: Provent1__51024_zoom.jpg (480x317, 50K)

Cars will change. That's how it goes as the population demographics has always influenced car offerings.

The two largest minorities in the USA will become the majority of population somewhere in the 2040's based upon Census data and large family sizes. It might even be sooner because of the increased limits Obama granted for admitting refugees and migrants from Africa to become citizens.

>Does the catch can having a 'breather' make a difference?
No. Direct exit from the valve cover into the outside as long as you find a way for the oil not to spill out of the engine is the ideal way. You let the oil fumes breath out with as little obstruction as possible (of course, worst case scenario the air intake gets some of these fumes).

Emissions be damned.

Don't continue the loop, instead plug the intake hole and vent your catch can. Why do u want any possibility of blow-by

>You let the oil fumes breath out
Anything that vents oil fumes under the hood means that an oil film will eventually colllect on engine parts and wiring under the hood.

>paying more than $40 for a catch can

Attached: tu7icvP.jpg (1944x2592, 572K)

What does a catch can do

Catches shit

>lol no
You run a hose down towards the ground kid

Attached: 1327891992079.jpg (407x374, 26K)

>What does a catch can do
Google "purpose of catch can" without the quotation marks. Its best optimal pairing is with direct injection engines that do not have port injection. Those engines have the greatest need of a catch can because they were rushed to market as a MPG savings feature without long term testing that showed flaws in its approach. Modern DI added port injection to reduce or eliminate the flaw provided that Top Tier gasoline is used.

>hose down towards the ground
I agree, that's the way it's supposed to be.

But some of those catch cans are sold with flashy looking items to attach to the exit port. They aren't sold with a hose running down to the ground. It's some sort of little shiny mesh cage. Maybe that's for showing off, but it would vent right there in the engine compartment. The shiny mesh end has no hanger. If at the end of a hose, it would dangle due to its size and weight. That means it isn't for dangling at the end of the hose at the bottom of the car. At that location it would only collect and hold grit and slushy water if exposed to the road spray and grime.

Attached: Top Tier gasoline-valve2.jpg (991x611, 32K)

>you gotta keep em' separated

What's the point of having a catch can on an NA engine?

>vent your catch can.
>Why do u want any possibility of blow-by
Because in my state, the law requires any service shop to report the existence of detected violations of odometer or emissions equipment (cat removal). Don't know if venting the catch can is enough to trigger a mechanic to report it, but it technically is a violation.

Attached: Ethanol_raises_gasoline_octane.png (827x575, 67K)

>If you use that kind of shit on a newer turbo car, you'll melt it.
It can't. It is not some ultra-high power burning liquid.