/acg/ - Armored Core General

Dying in the night edition.

Moldy bread: For all newcomers, Armored Core and all JP mecha discussion here. You are welcome to shill western stuff with JP influence.
We can talk about Ace combat as well and puchi posting is fine too.

BEFORE YOU PROCEED LISTEN TO OUR THEME SONG!!!
instaud.io/jzI

AC pastebin: pastebin.com/z1bJS9gF
Read that if you have any questions. If the pastebin doesn't answer whatever question you may have feel free to ask us in the thread.

/acg/'s partially complete recommendation pastebin:
pastebin.com/Wjv8sukr

Steam: steamcommunity.com/groups/armoredcorevg

/acg/ PLAYS

SCRIMMS
>Ask.

SUNDAY NIGHT FOR ANSWER
>Ask.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON VERDICT DAY
>Ask.

Official Strategy guide PDFs for 2, 3, and Nexus :
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_2_Another_Age_Prima_Official_eGuide/1833
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_3_Prima_Official_eGuide/1635
emuparadise.me/magazine-comic-guide-scans/Armored_Core_Nexus_Prima_Official_eGuide/2226

AC related cover music: ripped from niconico by risto
mega.nz/#!j1l03AjA!beyftPD1gLIsymJC2gdmHpUecO4JHGbg6KdFQNS7htI

Understanding Last Raven technical stuff.
pastebin.com/RfbVYwwr

AC Webm and Music collection download.
dropbox.com/s/eh12d8bhn4o5t3p/AC Webm.rar?dl=0#
dropbox.com/s/e43xmgrl76l9bpo/AC Music.rar?dl=0

Other urls found in this thread:

ppsspp.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=qWQ5Ygoa8ZM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bump.

hello new thread

Gaaaaaaaaay

That dog has the same face as me when thinking on the current state of the general

That dog has the same face as me when thinking on the will to live.

What does your ideal A.C. or NEXT look like? Have you built it? Does it play well?

I'm creatively bankrupt so mine would look like Cascade Range, 13, or Evangel.

Sad

Evangel is awesome, so understandable.

Ideal AC is a laser sniper with stealth or ECM. Works good in LR.

Pic not related. I should actually build a good laser sniper in LR:P, since it actually has the AC2AA laser sniper rifle.

That scratch work on this person's model kit is so goddamn good.

still the best intro

how has there not been a single new worthwhile mecha sim game since ACV.

>mecha
>SIM
Look at this man and laugh

its an anime mecha sim, not sure what's the problem chap

Railguns are pretty fucking good aside from the ammo capacity

>railguns

thanks God those are railguns, I feel that if those guns had recoil, the poor mecha will be seeing the sky after each shot.

bump.

LIVE DAMN IT

Here's a bump for ya

AC is considered a simulator because of its controls, not the aesthetic.

Last one from me, good night.

I will never not love the Sunshine and its bell bottom legs

I made a cool looking motherfucker back in Last Raven, worked well enough against AI in the arena. It's been a while but it had the Python Railgun, a blade, Micromissiles and a laser cannon on the other shoulder.

I miss the days of Overboost cancelling the cannon. RIP.

survive the night

Is AC games on PS2 emulatable?
I have no PS2.

It's relatively reliable on a decent rig. Though, for the games that have PSP ports, the PSP versions, understandable, run more smoothly. Also, there are some known problems with water textures in the games, when emulated, that make for some bizarre looking scenery in some missions.

Yes! They emulate very well too.

If you have a decent PC (i5 or i7) you should be able to emulate most of the PS2 games through PCSX2.

If you can't run them on PS2, you can emulate some of them (AC3, ACSL, ACLR) through PPSSPP, which has lower graphics requirements.

this reminds me: can we get the CWcheats for the PSP ports in the pastebin (or just update a pastebin that isn't 100 years old?) there's the hang workaround and now the blur removal for LR that I don't think people have a way of easily finding outside of the PPSSPP forum

I forgot for a second that PSP port exist.
I have an i3 which i guess is no.

You can try, it might work especially if you have good integrated graphics.

For an i3, you probably want the PSP port though, it runs better. I'd start with armored core 3.

ppsspp.org/

go to paradise for the ISO

and you'll need to install the following CWCheat in the Memstick > Cheats folder

Just create a text file containing:

_S NPUH-10023
_G Armored Core 3 Portable
_C1 Hang Workaround
_L 0xE0010003 0x002258E8
_L 0x202258E8 0x34070001
_C0 Hang Workaround [Disable]
_L 0x202258E8 0x28A70003

after that the PSP port will run perfect!

>go to paradise for the ISO

*emuparadise

Thank you for the help user.
Will gonna take a time to get used to controling movement.

Meant to this.

You can change controls in the menu, and also rebind in PPSSPP, so take time to find a control scheme that works well for you. Good luck!

Morning

Howdy

Here thinking on a reason to get up from bed, maybe because I'm hungry

Hot damn, we lived.

props to this user: and good luck with AC3!

So what does everyone think of 4Answer? I know it's the odd one out with the series, but between that and 5, I prefer the twitchy, insane speed of 4A.

I love 4th gen as much as 3rd gen.

I liked it, my main complain is that the game is easy, but aside from that, I enjoy it a lot, nice story and deepest lore, arms forts designs are still cool on my eyes, I wouldnt mind another game with some fixes

Was it easy? I'm thinking of those one-on-one rank matches and some of them are insane to keep track of. That said I was more close/mid-range, so maybe it was my build that emphasized higher reflex for mobility.

ACFA is a good game, bad AC game.

It's biggest problem is that customization is no longer part of the game. It's an extra add-on but all missions can be beaten using the default starting equipment and just spending FRS points. It's antithetical to the main appeal of AC, a game where there are no direct "upgrades", and you have to actually learn what the stats do and customize to adapt to beat it. Also, the gameplay changes make it impossible to have interesting levels or bosses, since the player is so powerful and can fly everywhere that being indoors or using cover feels like an extremely frustrating experience. The indoor missions of ACFA are particularly fucked since they removed a lot of basic movement mechanics from the previous games to simplify/streamline gameplay in ACFA.

But the briefings are sexy, the voice acting is pretty good (cube nonwithstanding) the graphics are alright (AC4 is fucking gorgeous) the story is very good, the UI is clean, the music is unique, etc.

Basically it excels at everything except the actual core gameplay of AC, which it really fails at.

I personally think that AC4 is a better game because it's a little tougher, has better visuals, and actually requires some effort to make a permaflight AC. If you avoid grenades and machineguns in AC4, it's actually quite balanced and challenging, and they were very creative about the missions (A Long Night's March, Break the White Lance, Silent Avalance, etc.) with creative ideas and required customization instead of just throwing a fuckload of enemies at you in an open area.

Both were HUGE disappointments after ACLR though, and From lost a lot of fans as a result. The AC community in the west really fell apart after it came out, because AC4 was marketed at the 360 shooter crowd. Old fans left, new fans didn't stick around past 1 game. Combine that with ACV being delayed by 2 years to make Dark Souls, and the franchise was thoroughly fucked from 2006 to 2012.

ACFA is by far the easiest game in the franchise.

I think the best example is that in ACFA you can beat most ACs with just quickboost and machine guns or a grenade launcher, no matter what you do. You have to work hard to build an AC that is "bad". But in the other games you have to work hard to make an AC that can even beat most of the NPCs. The skill caps within the game are much higher.

The previous games, especially LR and Nexus, had just as much close range speed and enemy tracking, but with a worse radar, no quickboost, and no permaflight, and an overall more stats-heavy emphasis.

What ACFA has that those do not is -scale-. Huge mechs, huge area, huge speed, huge ranges. Everything in the game is designed to make it feel like you're a jet fighter, and it's good at that but the gameplay is just way too easy.

Great aesthetics, good visuals, mediocre gameplay.

>are insane to keep track of.

youtube.com/watch?v=qWQ5Ygoa8ZM

I think AC4 is better than 4A.

AC4 and FA both feel like half parts of a whole game.

>AC4 missions
>AC4 gameplay
>AC4 visuals
>ACFA characters/story
>ACFA parts/garage
>ACFA bosses

it's really a case of 2 steps forward, 1 step back.

While I do find 4/4A to be fun to play, they are, hands down, my least favorite games in the series. I will, admit, though, that some of it does come down to personal gripes. For example, I very much dislike the 'stiffness' in the animations of the ACs, or rather, the overall lack of animation that they have. I also despise half of the sound effects used, especially the ones used for quickboosting and overboosting. A lot of the guns, especially energy guns, just look, feel, and sound weak as well. Also not a big fan of the UI, personally.

And on the topic of customization, it's just rather weak in the games. It's never really incentivized, more than the fact that it is an option, and most players will inevitably at least try it out. But, for the most part, you can clear everything with the starters without too much trouble. And then, when you do decide to customize, very few of the frame parts actually fit together in a way that looks good. Everything was designed as part of a set, and mix-matching just doesn't have the same appeal. And then there's FRS. I don't mind the idea of FRS, but that shit should have never, ever carried over into multiplayer, essentially forcing a player to grind the shit out of the story mode, or download someone else's save file, just to stand on even footing with everyone else.

And the actual gameplay is pretty shallow as well. For all the 'speed' the games boast, AC vs AC matches, especially online, are horribly slow-paced, and usually devolve to trigger-holding circle-strafing, or jousting, where AP is being chipped away little by little, with very little chance for a turn-around or a comeback. The gameplay just isn't anywhere near as dynamic as it could be. ACV/D, by comparison, is considerably more dynamic, and better paced in combat.

But, opinions are opinions. People are free to disagree. All things considered, I do find the games to be fun to play, but not fun enough for me to ever take seriously. (Dat OST tho.)

>And on the topic of customization, it's just rather weak in the games. It's never really incentivized, more than the fact that it is an option, and most players will inevitably at least try it out. But, for the most part, you can clear everything with the starters without too much trouble. And then, when you do decide to customize, very few of the frame parts actually fit together in a way that looks good. Everything was designed as part of a set, and mix-matching just doesn't have the same appeal. And then there's FRS. I don't mind the idea of FRS, but that shit should have never, ever carried over into multiplayer, essentially forcing a player to grind the shit out of the story mode, or download someone else's save file, just to stand on even footing with everyone else.

>And the actual gameplay is pretty shallow as well. For all the 'speed' the games boast, AC vs AC matches, especially online, are horribly slow-paced, and usually devolve to trigger-holding circle-strafing, or jousting, where AP is being chipped away little by little, with very little chance for a turn-around or a comeback. The gameplay just isn't anywhere near as dynamic as it could be. ACV/D, by comparison, is considerably more dynamic, and better paced in combat.

I just got deja-vu about my complaints about dark souls 3

>and they were very creative about the missions (A Long Night's March, Break the White Lance, Silent Avalance, etc.)
Personally, I feel that AC4's missions don't get enough credit. They had a lot of really cool ideas, all of which are overshadowed by the fact that a lot of the game's missions can be finished in under a minute.

every time I play AC4 I have to limit myself to using only shitty weapons, because I want to spend as much time in the missions as possible. It's such a shame that the weapon balance was so bad that most players beat most missions in 60 seconds or less.

Do you have a thicc ps3?

Nice, Aya can be a operator now that I think about it

Never seen this art.

is this touhou?

is nine breaker pretty much undisputed as the worst main series AC game?

Yes

Bump.

>and they were very creative about the missions (A Long Night's March, Break the White Lance, Silent Avalance, etc.)
> Silent Avalance

Something I fucking love about Silent Avalance is that manage to take a common enemy that the player has slaughtered by dozens, but with a clever quirck and a map to exploit that quirck, you probably have one of the hardest mission that doesnt include a NEXT and that actually force you somehow play tactical on a game that for the most part is just "drop here and killl everthing on sight", I remember dying my handful of times on 4 and a couple on FA against them.

STOP DYING YOU COWARDS

please tell me you'll make one of these for TGS too

Not the creator of that pic, but I hope one gets created for TGS as well.

shouldnt a "pre TGS" be done at this point?