Why has no one made a lightweight sportscar with a diesel engine?

Why has no one made a lightweight sportscar with a diesel engine?

A GT86 with a 270BHP 3.0 6-cylinder Diesel engine would be the shit.

Attached: IMG_4452.png (239x271, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/S2HgLlejJYs
youtube.com/watch?v=tc20BDG5dik
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

muh revs

Diesel engines usually aren't light, they definitely ain't sporty.

Diesel engines need to be strong so they are heavy.

Heavy engine in a lightweight frame would have awful handling characteristics.

Also diesels aren't really sporty in dynamics.

Transient throttle response is shit
That's terrible for a sports car
Diesels are heavy, and the power to weight ratio is miserable compared to a gasoline engine.

Attached: 2f93a3d3cfca529b233c9a297d2868d8.jpg (512x502, 290K)

Because diesels useless in anything other than a truck and even that's becoming a meme with all the emission bullshit.

Attached: cumiata.jpg (4096x2731, 1.04M)

Just lengthen the gears.

Another 50KG won't ruin a GT86.

>enough torque to rip the tyres off the rims in any gear at 1200RPM
>not sporty

Modern diesels have pretty good throttle response, it's not like old ones where the throttle inputs were like pulling an elastic band.

Not an argument.

Attached: IMG_4743.jpg (1080x720, 197K)

genuine question here -- why don't diesels rev as high as petrols?

maybe slower burning flame front in cylinder?
maybe they traditionally have heavier internals making it a bitch to rev freely, so might as well withhold the revving? metallurgy has been taking giant steps though, so i'd suppose some aluminium internals which can withhold the high stresses of diesels could be possible nowadays...

a nice, small

>why don't diesels rev as high as petrols?
this is answered in any "intro to mechanics" book

thank you for your precise answer, user. i sure have learned lots.

Spinning tires isn't sporty, lol wtf.

>build diesel for 1200nm
>weighs eleventy billion kg
>takes ten seconds to come on boost
>runs out of puff before 4k rpm

Totally sporty, bro.

Because the compression is so high you'll run into pre-ignition issues with high revs, i.e. the mixture will combust before it's supposed to.

Also getting a heavy rotating mass to spin at high rpm isn't easy or reliable.

You fucking torquelet

Your special snowflake German V12 octoturbo W16 diesel is only making as much power and TQ as a LSX crate engine that you can walk into any GM dealership and buy with a warranty.

>waaaaa it has turbo lag and a lot of torque waaaa wheelspin is scary waaa
You're the reason modern (((supercars))) have boost by gear and no interesting power delivery

Attached: IMG_4557.jpg (1431x2057, 1.27M)

>thinks a 'merican vee ate makes as much torks as a diseaseal
Dumbass.

>complaining because I'm right

Diesel engines have their place, but it isn't in sports cars.

Attached: 1500332734086.jpg (2661x1789, 505K)

W16>v12

>V8 makes torque and only revs to 5500
>that's good
>diesel makes even more torque and only revs to 5500
>lmao what a piece of shit
?

Torque doesn't mean shit with light cars. Your leased diesel Fiesta is not fast.

Boost by gear? Elaborate

>Torque doesn't mean shit with light cars

Attached: IMG_1128.jpg (604x340, 62K)

Attached: 1520703086908.jpg (500x500, 55K)

>diesel 6
>270hp
>lightweight

pick one

A GT86 with anything but that boxer 4 would be the shit

y'all niggas posting in a dirty phoneposter thread
stop doing that

>revs slow
>heavy
>sounds like a truck
>low reving
>power and tourqe is all at the bottom of the rev range
>emmissions and that

i wonder why

wut? i'm pretty sure there's no chance for preignition in a diesel though.

the heavy rotating mass to spin at high rpm seems a bit of a weird excuse though...

i just realised something -- does any manufacturer actually produce engines with aluminium internals? not necessarily diesels only

alum engine blocks sure, but what about conrods and cranks? i'm aware of those weird, horrible hypereutectic alum pistons from the 70's...

Easily. It might be 3000rpm higher but it's there. And that's just naturally aspirated...

I see you still haven't got over the whole VIR thing. Fuck that was like a month ago. Time to accept it sweetie.

Attached: lsx.jpg (600x400, 56K)

Please explain why super cars have V12 petrol engines and not 9.0 litre i4 diesels.

>diesel weighs much more unless it's some tiny thing with a big turbo, and even then it probably weighs more
>ruins handling dynamics
>more complicated than a simple big V8
>less reliable than a big V8

>Camaro SS makes 455hp @ 6,000
>Mustang GT makes 460hp @ 7,000

Yeah, V8's are still the same way they were made 50 years ago. Hell even then a 1970 LT-1 made peak at 5,600.

It's nothing new, it's been an aftermarket thing forever. It's so you can actually hook up in lower gears then have full power later on. But this idiot just wants retarded cars that can spin tires since he's 12 and thinks spinning tires is the holy grail of cars.

>posts blacked girl
>wants to be a cuck
pottery

>lightweight
>diesel

Fuck there are some retards on here.

This thread reeks of "my first car is a diesel hatchback and i've convinced myself that it's the bestest car in the world because le torque wins races".

>"my first car is a diesel hatchback and i've convinced myself that it's the bestest car in the world because its faster(not really) than its petrol counterpart".

Diesels cannot pre ignite since the fuel is injected at the moment it's meant to combust. I think of an injector going off in a diesel is similar to a spark plugs going off in a traditional gas engine. Both of these only happen to start the power stroke at the most efficient time.

>>diesel revs to 5500

Attached: 1520948665549.jpg (883x835, 381K)

Diesels don't rev high because diesel fuel doesn't atomise like petrol does. trying to get a nice even spread of air/diesel in a cylinder past 5k revs isn't going to happen and generally results in massive hot spots or the fuel not even igniting.
Torque doesn't mean in lightweight applications. In theory sure you need torque to make power but there is a good reason litre bikes use engines that rev to the stratosphere instead of torquey engines with long gearing.

diesel also has shit throttle response and won't 'feel' sporty no matter what. torque coming on at 2 grand doesn't make a car feel sporty, a rush towards the redline does. after your diesel makes peak torque till 3 grand it then massively plummets. aka not very fun.

Diesel is dead bud. Everyone's research department has entirely shut down diesel research.

Many cities are now (or will be soon) banning diesels from entering.

North American ports have warehouses cluttered with new diesel engines that were meant to go into new chassis, but are now rusting because of regulatory concerns.

Diesel.
Is.
Dead.

pleb

thank you for your response man!

not sure whether you know the answer to this as well but, what is the difference between torque curves and general engine characteristics between direct injected petrol engines and direct injected diesels?

i've noticed that di petrols also have an affinity for ~5k rpm redline. is that just for emissions, or do they suffer from the same problems as di diesels? (ie shit atomisation, etc)

What diesel engines? Which brands? Where?

>Source pls

>6 cyl diesel
>light
lel

You would end up with a shitty rwd sports car with 70/30 weight distribution and you would have to fill it with piss regularly to pass emissions.

why are the tires on that s2000 put on backwards?

You fuck

It's usually because the injectors will not flow enough for anything higher.
Of course sporty cars will have big enough ones but most won't because it's not needed. Some cars like the GT86 will have di and normal injectors. This gives the best compromise because at higher revs having the fuel already mixed with the air in the mainfold reduces temps and helps with atomisation

>maybe slower burning flame front in cylinder?
Yes, this is the answer.
Any other answer is wrong.
The retard claiming you can't atomize diesel is a fucking retard.
Diesel burns too slowly to rev.

Slow burn contributes to it as well but atomisation is a large factor. Go do some reading. It comes up in almost every discussion

It’s been done. You can basically run infinity psi of boost as long as the injectors and internals can keep up since diesels have a 0% chance of knock. Problem is, like other anons have said, they’re heavy, and if you want any sort of power out of it it’s not going to pass emissions (or it just has to be yuuuge). Even the 13L Detroit Diesels I work on, despite making well over 1.5k lb-ft of torque, don’t even make 500 horses, and those weigh over 2500lbs. I want to try it someday, just to see what I can do, but it’s not particularly practical from a purely performance-based standpoint.
>t. diesel mechanic
>sorry for WoT

Attached: 6C5EFBDF-A138-42FF-88D6-5039E23618D9.gif (256x256, 352K)

Example which I was going to include but forgot, a drift car w123 Mercedes wagon with the om606 diesel.

Attached: 1057AF05-4002-4671-9FC9-6CFD353DA626.jpg (900x400, 78K)

>Carbs atomize fuel better than injectors
>Engines that came both carbed and FI always rev higher in their injected form
Really makes you think goyim.

Wow what a great idea op why don't you start it and build one and sell them and let me know how well it goes and decide why other brainlet manufacturers didn't think of it with their super smart engineers and billions of r&d

my om603 has hella torque all the way from get go to 4000. And 3 liters. Super strong engines for modification.

Sweet, I’m actually working on getting a beat up w124 wagon with the same engine back into shape for my next daily. I’ve heard they have headgasket issues, which has kind of made me weary of mods, but I’m guessing there’s a pretty easy upgrade to fix that. What’ve you done to yours, if anything?

> what is the audi r18

what kind of car is that

As long as it's black.

>understeering into the guardrail is a sport
yeah nah

Is this some new ls1 b8?

There was a kit car company that was putting Jetta/golf 4 cylinder tdi's in the back of their cars. They were pretty quick and nimble and got over 60mpg.

270hp diesel in a golf sized car, half the weight of the car is going to be gearbox, things going to be in excess of 460lb/ft

Carbs can atomise really well if setup correctly, trouble is most weren't.
>youtu.be/S2HgLlejJYs

>3.0 Liter 6-cylinder turbo Diesel
>lightweight sportscar
What is this board smoking?

Attached: aq75Q4M_460s.jpg (460x459, 41K)

VW makes them for more than 30 years, they aren't for racing though, just nice sporty cars

see
They're kids who desperately want their mum's diesel Polo to be a good car. I've met these fags IRL. They're insufferable.

joke is on you, my mom doesn't drive

Just get an AMG if you want to rip tyres.

>Just get an AMG
you make it sound so easy

>Lightweight
>Diesel
Pick one.

>70-30 weight distribution is bad

Attached: IMG_4757.jpg (1000x667, 104K)

If you lengthen the gears, now you can't break the tires loose at low RPM. If you keep them short, a diesel runs out of steam early.

Theoretical question: would a Fiesta ST be more fun with a 2.0L turbodiesel (200hp, 310ftlbs) than the current Ecoboost gasoline engine?

I think those were proof that was a bad weight distribution.

Absolutely.

>>Engines that came both carbed and FI always rev higher in their injected form
Slap a set of carbs on any modern I4 literbike and they'll rev just as high. You're comparing smog era carbs vs smog era injectors (because tht's the only period when cars came with both as an option,) and that's just not a fair comparison. Meanwhile, all of the extreme 250-400cc supersport bikes I know of used four carbs.

That's 30/70 though.

How about those from those Duratorq's with 185hp/300 ftlbs?

>How about those from those Duratorq's with 185hp/300 ftlbs?
you get torque in all 5 gears even with a 115hp.

>people who want a car to have character are virgins!
kys, I bet you drive a 1.4 TSI Golf.

>Diesel engine
>character
Pick one you retard. Diesels are a fucking bane to drive because they almost feel like a switch. All the torque is thrown at you at idle and rev is almost useless since max HP comes so early on the curve.

If it made 200hp it'd make more than 310, unless it was deliberately limiting torque output.

>Why has no one made a lightweight sportscar with a diesel engine?

Isuzu kinda did once upon a time. Its also light by todays standards.

Attached: 1973-1976_Isuzu_117_Coupe_XE[1].jpg (2873x1366, 1.27M)

>muh weight!
Fucking armchair mechanics, classic Veeky Forums. A diesel engine is at most 50KG heavier than a comparable petrol, that's easily less than 5% of the weight of the car.

No one browsing this board could even tell if a car was 100KG heavier.

Attached: IMG_4716.jpg (1024x658, 65K)

Being this wrong.

50kg, assuming you are correct, plus the weight of a heavier clutch and gearbox and the weight is all over your steering wheels.

Sports cars are are not tractors.

It only feels sporty, because you are looking at a gauge saying muh 9000rpm. Look at motocross. High reving 2 stroke got replaced by low torque 4 stroke, similar to petrol/diesel debait in comparison.

Wrong.

Go look up some weight differences between diesel and petrol powered cars of the same model.

Show me a golf sized car which offers a 270hp petrol and a 270hp diesel, I'll wait.

The two strokes are low revving user, the 4 strokes are doing 12-13k, the two strokes also make more power and torque but it's less linear and harder to hang on to.

GTD, its only around 190hp, but tgere are more powerfull other cars on market though

Attached: VolkswagenGolf7.jpg (1280x853, 409K)

Go look up what a Audi A4 B6 Quattro weighs in its 1.8T, 3.0 and 2.5 TDi trims.

I'll wait.

Audi A4 is a short-wheel base A6, It's not a Golf.

Ok, so
>1.8t - 190hp - 1475kg
>2.5TDI - 180hp - 1590kg
And that sure as shit isn't 270hp, it's also a fuckload heavier than the sort of lightweight op mentioned.

Aye but my point was they offer 300hp in a petrol, to offer 270hp in a diesel the car would gain significant weight, it wouldn't be a small engine.
A mate owned the GT diesel, went like stink with the DSG and a bit of tuning.

Fake figures, try again.

why has toyota not made a prius that uses diesel?

what about 335d or 535d
~290hp stock, ~340hp with a ecu remap

custom downpipe
Egr delete
Swirl flap delete
cat delete
muffler delete
rest stock
425 crank hp
youtube.com/watch?v=tc20BDG5dik