How is an inline 6 considered God-Tier? Isn't a V8 better, in terms of sound and performance

How is an inline 6 considered God-Tier? Isn't a V8 better, in terms of sound and performance

Attached: AMC-i6engine.jpg (648x590, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gv-PKw9k2XY
youtube.com/watch?v=PbSp7Pn1QB8&t=779
youtu.be/3Y-Gdz6N-dU
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank
sterlingrail.com/classifieds/Listings.php?type=Engines&fsw=FS
youtu.be/NYYA2jE3Ze0
youtu.be/3Y-Gdz6N-dU?t=4m3s
youtube.com/watch?v=K8rRd86tWUI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

anything less then a V8 should be muffled and kept as quiet as possible for the benefit of all pedesterians and motorist alike

Inline 6 is on equal footing with a V8, they're equally tier with different aspects. Also, it's because nobody makes Inline 8s anymore

youtube.com/watch?v=gv-PKw9k2XY

>ywn own a Fairlady GZ with a TC24-B1Z

Attached: 1351049215437.png (1280x1024, 1.44M)

>Better in terms of sound

This is subjective. V8s sound like truck engines to me. I'll likely never swap one into any of my japcrap cars for that reason alone

will y'all stop with this v8 vs v6 vs whatever engine configuration?
it doesnt fucking matter, it's like saying "isn't 4 valves per cylinder better than 5?"
it depends on a ton of factors, you can't just say "v8 has better performance than v6"
you should leave engineering to those who understand it
and sound is subjective

6 cylinders are the best for balancing and therefore tend to be pretty efficient, powerful and smooth for their size. This is why V12s are so good. At the end of the day though you can still get more displacement from a V8 so a good V8 will get more power than a good i6.

Pretty much one of my dreams in life to drive a v12

I6 is one of a handful of engine layouts that are inherently balanced, negating the need for heavy counterweights on the crankshaft.

>inline 8s
Nah, too much crank whip.

>mfw some people actively pursue making their V8 sound as broken as possible with muh aggressive cams

Attached: 1508431634384.gif (300x265, 1.62M)

Well if it's a hot cam to increase performance, that's one thing. But guys doing it to their trucks and putting a straight pipe on are just huge faggots

V8 in a nutshell:

youtube.com/watch?v=PbSp7Pn1QB8&t=779

What a fine example of the German master race

West German mutt problems. Quite exemplary for V8 fanboys though.

>V8s sound like truck engines to me
Well I mean if it sounds like a truck engine, it looks like a truck engine, and it feels like a truck engine...

I6 screams, V8 roars. I prefer scream.

Meanwhile V6 sounds like a cat purring.

Similar things could be done to every engine layout. V8s are great, we were cruising around in 300+HP luxury yachts, while Europeans had tiny cars and less than 100hp. It's a luxury.

Attached: 49411_Front_3-4_Web.JPG.jpg (1000x750, 128K)

nope

Attached: E113BE42-81F9-45C1-BCE1-FEF4AB9003DA.jpg (1280x720, 133K)

>we had an economic boom and wasted our potential on pointless frivolities while Europeans were rebuilding from a war and are now better off than we are

Surprisingly you didn't post a 300sl, but you posted something 10 years newer, and a huge engine.
You wouldn't be any different if you had oil.

Norway has oil, you clown.

This is why I personally like V10s the best sound wise. Seems like you get both the growl and scream.

Meh. V10s are a middle ground no one asked for. If you're a burger poorfag you'll go for the V8 anyway. If you can afford better than a V8 you might as well go for a V12.

V10 is the V6 of supercars. Also the American V10s all sound like complete dog shit because they actively tried to make them sound similar to a V8 and more familiar to burger ears with uneven firing intervals. Go listen to a Viper compared to an LFA.

Oh, now you're Norwegian? You have British oil, which they foolishly sold off, and you don't have enough to supply without imports. North Sea deposits are pretty underwhelming

No, I'm not Norwegian.

Gt350 sounds pretty darn nice to me, sempai

Good, at least your people figured out how to make cars.

But that's a V8, my post was revolving around V10s.

Ehh. I disagree. I think V10s are cool in their own way. I completely agree that American V10s sound terrible though. I'm thinking more along the lines of Lexus like you mentioned and BMW V10s.

It was just a declaration, nothing more. Not all v8s sound like a galloping horse.

i6 sounds more race-y desu, I prefer their sound

V6 sounds like a very angry lawnmower to me

Sorry but i5

That's because it is.

RB26 has the most race-engine sound of all. GOAT.

v6 is actually the best

>power of an i4 with the efficiency of an i6
Yeah nah, I will admit they do have a cool sound though

8/8 gr8 b8 m8

Attached: 3DDEBC7E-8B16-4517-943C-A9E047FAD199.jpg (640x640, 92K)

But performance wise 5 valves per cyl always > 4 valves per cyl because of higher potential gas flow
also generally i6 > v8 because it can be scaled indefinitely

Is that why Ferrari switched back to 4?

Crossplanar V8s are the ones that sound like trucks. Flat plane V8s don't have that characteristic paradiddle firing order.

>posted by a 17 year old who has a third gen camaro

Why can't we like both?

increased fuckery with maintenance is a reason why 5 valve setups aren't that popular. Even bikes have switched back to 4

True. I don't much exposure to them though.

When you get up to 4 valves, velocity of air flow becomes more important than more or bigger intake valves. It allows you to make more power without compensating for cylinder pressure and exhaust flow. This is why head porting is an almost art, it is a lot more complicated than just boring out the ports.

Here buddy, I know you’re feeling lonely today so have a reply, on the house.

Inline 6's are perfectly balanced, and can in theory rev insanely high because of that.
besides, V12 > I6.

Yep, the main limiting factor is the mass of the crankshaft really. Less harmonics means you can rev up higher and higher without the engine ripping itself apart.

As far as power and sound of course V12 is best but it can’t compare when it comes to practicality in a street car.

why dont they make smol v12 engines that i can swap into mr2s

I got you senpai.
See pic, the engine from the k1600gt. It's a 1.65L i6. Do some work and fab yourself a 3.3L v12

Attached: BMW-K1600-671-750x500.jpg (750x500, 46K)

>trucks are almost all inline 6
>V8 sounds like inline 6
Makes sense

you also have shit like valve float to deal with at really high rpm's.

>making a V12 out of two I6 blocks

Extremely difficult but can (and has) been done. Remember that the finished product will be fuckhuge though.

Yeah I bet, it'll be serious work. But the i6 block is only 48 cm from end to end, which blows my mind

Hot damn. If I had the money I totally would. That's awesome

Attached: 1507682828434.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

>caring about sound over performance

truly awful

Attached: IMG_6587.png (331x332, 147K)

Holy shit how have I not heard of this engine. The sound is god tier.

not worth

Attached: GioachinoColombo 1,5 л V12 Ferrari 125.jpg (1418x1152, 971K)

Attached: cda.jpg (640x628, 64K)

@18817610
you ain't getting a (you) from me for that shitpost

grug have no argument
grug no respond
grug win

Attached: 1518369798109.png (544x529, 54K)

>Caring about performance over feel
Fucking benchracers.

Skip to 4:03 inline six fangirls
youtu.be/3Y-Gdz6N-dU

stay mad nigger

V8 can be scaled in definitely as well.
It's inherently balanced just like an i6.
The problem is packaging, and construction cost for example.
If you have a six gorillion liter engine that will only turn 105 RPM, there's no reason to decrease the size of the cylinders are reduce their reciprocating mass. Also the I6 will only need one exhaust manifold, and is tall long and narrow, which fits well within a ship or train.
A V8 is shorter in both length and height, but is very wide which prevents its use entirely in trains, and increases the cost to install it in a ship immensely.

The mass of the pistons and connecting rods also becomes and issue, as well as flame front speed.

Yeah true, and the durability of components such as rod bearings, main bearings, pistons, and connecting rods like said

Maybe for a track car, in the streets nobody gives a shit if you can reach the next stoplight .2 seconds faster.

trains use v8, v12 or v16 usually

Attached: trainengine.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

>making a V12 out of two I6 blocks
>not making a 21 liter star-shaped 30 cylinder engine out of five I6 blocks
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank

Attached: 1852ED58-F29A-44C9-9398-02301E1C8B53.jpg (1024x694, 609K)

Interesting. The diesel-electric trains used in a part of the netherlands use 1 or 2 MAN i6's depending on the train section length

where can i buy one to put into my honda?

>sound
no
>performance
sometimes

its strange but you can actually buy train engines

sterlingrail.com/classifieds/Listings.php?type=Engines&fsw=FS

Attached: train engine.jpg (640x480, 101K)

>You can still get more displacement from a V8
i6s can be upscaled infinitely because of perfect balance.

I prefer my inline 6 bmw to a V8. Grew up riding in M3s so maybe that's it? The i6 just sounds sexy while the V8 does t quite sing as much to me. Not impressed with the Z06 i frequent...relative to my N54 anyway.

And also V6 sounds like ass.

nice, looks like it will fit into my honda. thanks!

I'd rather have an I5 or a 90 degree V10

I6 are better balanced

V8 never did an endurance race without some way over precision race motor

tfw no SD80MAC gf with a 710 V20

>the V8 does t quite sing as much to me.
youtu.be/NYYA2jE3Ze0
here's a v8 that should sing to ya

>I6 are better balanced
youtu.be/3Y-Gdz6N-dU?t=4m3s
Not only crossplane V8s are balanced just fine, but even the worse balanced flatplane V8 has plenty of endurance racing success.

why not just make it an i8? bring back the boats

Because torsion bars should be restricted to suspension components, not crankcase components.

I prefer the sound of I6 desu

youtube.com/watch?v=K8rRd86tWUI

Sure but that also means they suq at high RPMs. They're happy at 4-6 dough

That just sounds like any other monotonous engine tone. If that exact same engine note came from a V6, you'd hate it.
There are nice sounding inline sixes, but that aint one of them.

So many people regurgitating shit they read on another forum to appear knowledgeable about engine design and characteristics...

>hurr muh inherent balance
>hurr scale indefinitititititii

The big cool sounding diesels that you're gay if you don't like have i6s

The streetgoing petrol ferds every hick and fag pretending to be straight drives have v8s

Think on it

>this was the true origin of the pentastar logo

>The big cool sounding diesels
The ones that sound like a monotonous hum throughout the rev range. Funnily enough the best sounding highway and offroad heavy duty diesels are usually either V8 (both 90° and the few Caterpiller 60° V8s) or variously configured two stroke combinations.
t. operates a hard working C11 day in-day out.

>inline 6 sucks at high rpm
why do retards with absolutely no knowledge post here?

These, 6 cylinders per bank is objective perfection.

I'm sure that's only a real problem on ancient long stroke engines with 5 main bearings.
Straight-8 race engines could turn up to 7500rpm with the 1927 Delage and later over 9000rpm with the Alfa Romeo 158/159 straight-8.

>V8s sound like truck engines to me.

Interesting. Since most American commercial vehicles use i6 engines.

Maybe they don’t want engines that sound like trucks jeez

This should be the Veeky Forums banner

Scale indefinitely is fucking useless when even the smallest examples need a long engine bay