Anyone use a container for a garage/car storage...

Anyone use a container for a garage/car storage? I have a new car that I want to keep in good condition but I don't have a garage. I also only drive the car a couple times a month, it's not a daily driver. I was looking at getting garage built, but that shit is expensive as fuck. So then I was looking at prefabbed sheds, still pretty expensive. But I found you can buy these containers, 20x8x8, delivered and set up for about $2000. Obviously, the biggest inconvenience is going to be getting into and out of a 6' wide car inside an 8' wide box, but considering it's something I'd only have to one, maybe two weekends a month, I think it would be tolerable.

Attached: 20ft-container3.jpg (900x598, 109K)

Cut a door out of the side, weld in hinges. It'll be fun

Build the fucking garage yourself, you fucking pansy. It's not that hard.

This. Basic construction like a garage is actually not that hard. I did mine in under two grand and it's more stable than the house i'm living in lmao.

I don't have time to waste on that. It would take several months, or I could pay a guy with a pickup and it'd be done in an afternoon.

How about a car tent?

Attached: 61R9qkKxNoL._US500_.jpg (500x500, 76K)

this is a good point, it's not always worth it to DIY stuff like this. Especially if you're not experienced/don't have an experienced dad or friend to help you - You could just end up with 2 wasted months and a shitty garage.

I say buy the container, especially if you're a career guy with some income. Because then you can repurpose it at any time to store whatever else

You can repurpose a garage much better than a fucking shipping container.

Nigger just get a metal shed. Easy as fuck to assemble and can fit your can with no trouble. If you are american or a canuck you have no excuse for not having a bigass shed or barn on your property.

It doesn't look like it would hold up to wind or heavy rain at all.

How is a garage more useful than a container? Like at all?

People who try to buy shipping containers for anything but shipping are retarded.

you can actually enter you car in one lmao

>Holden Adventra
Muh dick

Attached: 8ff2acae6e5cb4a2ec923fb55a9d384c0ef2c5f8.png (702x622, 399K)

So a garage can be repurposed as a... garage.

Sex dungeon too.

well ya but a shipping container is not attached to your house. It doesn't have plumbing and you just pay someone 2 grand and bang, it's there. Doesn't increase your square footage, doesn't affect zoning or property taxes. When you sell your house you can't take your garage to your new place. You don't have to heat a shipping container. You don't have to maintain a shipping container. You don't have to worry about your shipping container rotting. You can lock it and if it gets broken in to, the robbers are not one more door away from your house. You can sell it without selling your house. It is out of sight and out of mind. I mean you're just a fucking idiot and basically kys.

And most importantly they are many times cheaper and serve the same purpose.

They're also good for storing all your imitation crab meat and making underground bunkers out of them.

Sometimes I find it inconvenient when I only have 1 foot on either side on my car when I park,.Luckily I have a Mongolian blanket weaving forum to post about it on.

>making underground bunkers out of them.
Shipping containers are shit at this because they are structural only on the corner pillars and floor. The sides and roof will crumple under soil load. Buy couple pre-cast septic tanks instead, or large precast culverts.

Yes, they are more money.

The problem with a container is getting out of your car once you park it

Attached: 1510545319632.png (645x729, 70K)

I feel like a double wide container could actually make a decent looking garage, but even if they do make those I doubt you'd be saving any money.

How do the people shipping their cars do it then?

Then I'd have to repurpose my cellar.

Shipping containers with the weight of a car inside them can sink a bit on unpaved soft earth. Water then leaks inside and it rusts and rusts. Your car would then be inside of a sealed moist shipping container and be rusty all over. Does mold develop in moist darkness?

They're actually pretty strong. The metal pipes inside brace it pretty strongly. You can also use guy wires outside to further brace the portable car garage tent if you feel like it.

Another problem with a shipping container is that you have to get rid of it after you are done. If it is rusted up from sitting on dirt instead of a concrete pad, no one wants it due to it being a hazard, so you'd have to scrap it.

The simple solution with the unpaved earth is a tipper load of crushed limestone or the like. Cheap as and only takes water and barely any compacting to make an adequate hardstand. It takes some real muddy earth to sink a container.
Takes a lot of rust to leave a container unfit for personal use, and there's always a secondhand market for these things. They make great secure temporary sheds.
There's a big market for them.
If buried deep enough I'm sure the roof won't hold, but just under the surface under no more than a foot of dirt they're fine. The sides still make for an adequate shoring box... I know of plenty that are used for underground hydroponics grow rooms.

OP, shipping containers make fantastic secure, strong and portable storage sheds. Personal use is surprising common with folks with a bit of property.
Only downside is they might be a bit of an eyesore in a suburban yard.

Lifting up the back and letting it roll out

Since when does a garage need to be attached to your house and have plumbing? Why does it need heat? How can it not be locked?

A garage space is infinitely more versatile than a metal box with barely enough room for your car and does not need these retarded arbitrary specifications you list.

that's why there's a tent in place