What would be the cost of maintenance on a daily driven old 70s/80s car...

What would be the cost of maintenance on a daily driven old 70s/80s car? Say you bought one already fixed up and ready to go; is it still a dumb idea?

>inb4 OP is a faggot

Attached: 1986_Toyota_Supra_(MA67,_US),_rear_right-2.jpg (1280x682, 327K)

YOLO

you just do it cunt. its awesome. just have a back up for when something goes wrong (friend, bus, train, taxi, bike etc)

There's entirely too many variables to answer that question other than "more than a newer car"

with a lot less initial outlay though.

If it's been rebuilt and mainly the rust has been fixed, it shouldn't be an issue.

Depends on the car. A 1989 Bentley? $15k a year wouldn't surprise me. A 1989 Toyota truck? You could make it years without needing a repair.

Not true at all, many classics are dirt cheap to maintain.

This past year daily driving my E24 I've spent $18 on a slave cylinder and $60 for a guibo and carrier bearing.

I daily an 80's sports car, and have been for the last 10 years.

Distributor Pickup Died once. Had a replacement at my house already and it was swapped out 4 hours later. Alternator diode died. Limped home before rush hour.

Other than basic Maintenance and tune ups i've never had an issue.

Change Air Filter 2x a year (it gets clogged during "pollen seasons" here)

Change Oil every 7500m, or 6 months.
Change Oil Filter Every Second Change, or yearly (this is the factory plan in the service manual... its weird)

Plugs, Wires, Cap and rotor every 5 or so costs less than 50 bucks.

Honestly, Compared to a lot of people I know with newer cars i spend considerably less on repairs, even if they are more frequent. The likely hood of single or *MULTIPLE* sensor or part failures preventing the car from operating are much lower than a modern car - issues can be sorted out when convenient.

Honestly really hard to say. There are many different brands of 70s/80s cars and each brand made many different families of cars as well.

I have a friend who dailys an AMC Eagle and I can't really tell you a specific cost number but he usually does one or two big preventative projects on it a year to stay ahead of break downs and then probably half a dozen minor repairs/tweeks per year.

I daily a 82 corolla
Ive replaced the carb with a webber and a clutch. Clutch was fine just had no idea how long it had been before I replaced and was like 85$

I also own a 85 supra but its not a daily and is modded a bit with a turbo and e85 fuel setup

If you can google and know how to fix basic stuff it will be fine.

Attached: Wagon.jpg (1060x795, 589K)

This was the kind of info I was looking for

I should have been more specific. My main fear is sourcing replacement parts. In my current car (06 eclipse gt) I had a pilot bearing go out in my transmission, but Mitsu doesn't sell the exact part and there are 0 manual eclipses in salvage yards to get a used part from. Basically I'm screwed unless I crate an entire new transmission. This is my main concern with older 70s/80s cars. If something breaks, are there even replacement parts? If there are, are they hard to find? I figure theres third party for all the major stuff, but what about the smaller things that can go out?

I wouldn't mod it to make it a ~fast hoon car~, just an "as stock as possible" daily driver.

Attached: 1505705146290s.jpg (125x57, 2K)

Dont buy something rare but replacement parts are plenty for most asian models

Depends on the car a lot.

Datsun/Nissans shared so many parts across models : the trucks, SUVs, Sports Cars all shared mechanical and engine components.

Toyota ive never heard anything bad about availability unless you have rarer cars like a 6M powered Supra or something.

Isuzu impulse/piazza tends to be a crap shoot but their trucks and SUV's are great

DONT BUY A CONQUEST/STARION. Parts are as mythical as the cars themselves.

I am so, so jealous of your car.
I love my beater corolla but I would love it more if it were a wagon.

I haven't given a specific model because I'm not entirely sure what I would want. Anything from a MKI or MKII celica supra to a 66 Mustang. But you're right, nothing rare or super expensive. All I have is $12k

Attached: pantyraid.png (202x161, 45K)

Attached: 1499055411351.png (691x597, 16K)

I haven't had to spend anything on my 2000s car other than gas and oil in the last year.

>gen 3 eclipse

my condolences

Attached: 598237498536.jpg (604x372, 11K)

06 is Gen 4...

Attached: 1504303647550.png (184x173, 31K)

just get a recent civic hatch if you're daily driving

I daily'd a 79 camaro for a year and some change. Everything on it was dirt cheap and simple. Now that a ton of the older parts have been replaced it's doing alright but I don't daily it anymore. Supercharged it and swapped in a 3 speed street fighter and I have literally no training in automotives

Thoughts on mk3 supra N/A
Theres one in my town ( I live in the middle of nowhere)
should i cop for 4G's?
what should i expect
>pic semi related
>i like mk2 's but too old

Attached: TommyStyrman3.jpg (600x400, 45K)

You forgot to mention all your emissions problems.

>What would be the cost of maintenance on a daily driven old 70s/80s car?
If it's a rust bucket, don't buy it.

Older cars are also subject to mandatory emissions inspections in some USA states. Besides emissions, they will look for dash light warning indicators. In some states, they do more than emissions inspections.

So you have to factor in the accuracy of the "all fixed up" assumption you made. Did they fix it up with engine stop/leak additive that gums up the inside? Various stop/leak additives are there and used mostly on cars being sold to unwitting buyers. It hides the problem for a while. But then the problem appears and the annual or biannual inspection forces you to fix it or lose it.

Here, pic semi related...

Attached: 1515790858761.jpg (623x720, 54K)

have pic semi related

Attached: 1504353570052.jpg (720x453, 102K)