Fortress Thread

What is your favorite fortress?

>The largest fort in India covered 700 acres atop a 590-foot-tall hill, complete with towers and walls that have stood since the Maurya Empire built it near the Indian city of Udaipur in the 7th century. Fort Chittorgarh, also dubbed the Fort of Chittor, has a one-mile-long twisty road leading to it with seven gateways guarded by a watch tower and iron-spiked doors. While only 22 of the original 84 bodies of water within the fort still exist, 40 percent of the fort's space was covered by water at one time—enough of a reservoir to hold about one billion gallons of water and, with rainfall, enough to maintain an army of 50,000 for four years without fear of thirst.

Chittorgarh Fort Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugène_Viollet-le-Duc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Indian forts are pretty great.

Castle/Fortress fags whats your opinion on Violet le duc? He's the one that restored Carcassone and many other medieval buildings. I've read he took some "liberties" when doing it.

> he took some "liberties" when doing it.

What did he mean by this?
(did he steal stained glass windows and shit?)

i know everyone has seen it but this will always be my favorite castle

I've always liked star forts myself.

Not much of a castle, is it.
More of a big mansion made to look like a castle.

Flakturm because while fixed defenses are sort of primitive for the modern day, the fact that it was nigh destructable to many battlefield weapons of the time is a bonus

I really wouldn't want to try to take any of these citadels.

I'm on team Ruskin desu

Seems like it would be pretty weak in the face of artillery

yeah but you still have to walk up those stairs to occupy it, have fun doing that in Tibet

poo in fort

Disney/10

It has yellow duck mosaics, as well as a private school and hockey fields inside its walls. Also a pretty deep dark dungeon that you can freely walk around. A strange place.

This one is seriously intimidating. It towers over the whole town and has very thick walls, one of which still shows the (not very effective) impact of a cannonball, and a spiked door specifically built to repel elephants. Inside is a clusterfuck of buildings built on top of one another, with a cool armoury where almost every weapon has an extra hidden flintlock pistol or knife inside it. Might be my favorite Indian fort.

The Chinese had no trouble doing it. Turns out that fortresses need a certain number of defenders to defend properly.

Basically he kinda made up shit as he went along. He rarely had the original plans, and just "restored" things in a way that looked cooler.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugène_Viollet-le-Duc

One of my favorite is the Haut-Koenigsbourg, mostly because I went there every year as a kid.

Osaka castle.

bump

Considering only one side of that actually needs a wall/parapet to defend there's no reason not to build your mcmansion up there.

Damn, thats stout as hell.