/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic General. Here we talk all about everything Sonic! Share art and music, discuss new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics, and more!

/sthg/ #913 - sleepy edition

>Sonic News

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hvfd5KttCCs
twitter.com/Anthony_Blender/status/904760792226172928
youtu.be/OTWnxQD5_sw
youtube.com/watch?v=uX4Ir2wBltQ
sankakucomplex.com/2017/09/05/top-40-best-games-of-all-time-according-to-famitsu/
youtube.com/watch?v=vO6FKGip-HM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Too earl-
>image limit in the last thread was hit
.....Well, I still wouldn't encourage making threads when we hit the image limit.

Anyways, F A S T

youtube.com/watch?v=hvfd5KttCCs

Oh sweet jesus

>music isn't replaced with Knuckles raps
what's even the fucking point mate

Omelette's still fucking trending fucking lord..

twitter.com/Anthony_Blender/status/904760792226172928

>Knuckles
Make him hot-blooded, stubborn, and less intelligent than he thinks he is, rather than just plain stupid.
>Shadow
Have fun with his character and reputation, have him be a comedic straight man to the antics of other characters who's convinced that he's the protagonist of a serious dramatic space opera instead of a cartoon rodent who jumps on robots and collects gold rings and magic emeralds. Let him have cool moments where he justifies his pretentiousness from time to time.
>Espio
Cool-headed and super-competent at being a ninja, but comedically inept at many other things, particularly situational awareness and problem solving. Make him more of a foil to Vector, who's very blunt, loud, unsubtle, and boisterous, but hides hidden depths and great skills as a detective.
>Mighty and Ray
Inverse of Sonic and Tails, where the older half of the pair is more reserved and contemplative and the younger half is more self-confident and aggressive.
>Amy
Tough one. One of the few characters I'd write with any major continuity in mind; she'd still be after Sonic, but now she mostly keeps the creepy, lustful stuff to herself out of embarrassment with how she acted in a lot of the mid-2000s Sonic media (i.e. single-mindedly pursuing the hedgecock). Think kind of like Helga from Hey Arnold. Otherwise, I think of her as sort of a "battle-cheerleader," in that she's super positive and encouraging in most situations, but has a ruthless violent streak that kicks in when someone really pisses her off.

I know Sticks isn't on the list, but I like her design and some elements of her characterization in Sonic Boom and I think she makes a better "power" member of Team Rose than Big. However, I think the "conspiracy theorist" thing specifically is too narrow and ties in too much with real-world culture. I'd broaden that aspect of her personality to just being very impressionable and believing in fantastic hearsay. (1/2)

These people aren't gonna stop until she's made an official character, huh?

sorry about the early thread, i wanted to post some images but image limit was reached. pls no bully i didn't see bump limit

It's okay, user we all fuck up now & then. I'm also too busy to bully you right now

>I know Sticks isn't on the list, but I like her design and some elements of her characterization in Sonic Boom and I think she makes a better "power" member of Team Rose than Big. However, I think the "conspiracy theorist" thing specifically is too narrow and ties in too much with real-world culture. I'd broaden that aspect of her personality to just being very impressionable and believing in fantastic hearsay.
i like you, you get it.

It ain't gonna stop. I can tell Alpha's gonna get a job at Sega at the end of September.

"We've taken fan feedback and here's Maria!"

Yes, he will be crowned king of Sega.

I think that makes for a nice parallel with Knuckles' gullibility and makes her character amusing in the sense that she's skeptical of the actually bizarre and fantastic things in the world (Shadow being a teleporting alien, ancient bird civilization that invented hoverboards) but believes in obviously fake tabloid stories and old wives' tales without question.

As for Cream, she'd probably make for a really funny straight man between Amy and Sticks as she tries to maintain good manners and etiquette while also trying not to get killed by badniks or whatever foes Team Rose is facing. (2/2)

What drives me to have only 2 hour sleep after a 10 and half hour stream just to try and get a WR for Tails Metallic Madness Act 2?

Press Garden was originally known as Pulp Solstice.

Stop. Get more sleep.

we know

>people think the M and A stand for Metal and Amy
>it actually stands for Mighty and rAy

Who

youtu.be/OTWnxQD5_sw
Yeah right Dr.Eggman

Sonic a cute!

Is this autism?

I still think it would be a cool idea for Sonic's next anniversary to have a game set in a museum built by Eggman and have all the zones be shoddy or incorrect recreations built by him.

I think it would be a cool idea for Sonic to have its anniversary games be actual good games that fall on Anniversaries rather than shitty crossover themed games.

Sonic Adventure 2 certainly wasn't "hey guys woaaaah eggman found a convenient evil entity that lets us rehash the past hey look green hill zone".

the joke is that green hill zone was present anyway

That'd be neat; but I'm honestly tired of anniversary retreads of old stages taking up space. I'd much rather entirely new stages than have the same aesthetic I've seen before be repeated again every other game.

Callbacks, reusing gameplay styles, and reusing characters and following up on plot threads is fine and all. But, I'd much rather the game have an identity of its own.

>
>Eggman
Like he is in Archie, truly evil and a real threat but still comical and a major troll
>Sonic
How he was in Black Knight and Unleashed. Cool, calm, confident, nothing like how he is now.
>Tails
Basically Archie Tails. Still looks up to Sonic but can also handle things on his own.
>Knuckles
SA2 Knuckles basically. Not an idiot, not as impulsive but can still be played for laughs for how gullible. Obviously not a genius and not an avid reader of Sun Tzu. But he got the most knowledge about ancient stuff and is probably the best in terms of CQC.
>Amy
Archie Amy, still wants Sonic but not so much that it makes her useless as a character. She also doesn't spend every waking minute thinking about him.
>Blaze
Fine
>Shadow
SA2.
>Silver
Fine
>Cream
Fine
>Mighty
Archie
>Bean
Archie minus being a forth wall breaker, just make him crazy
>Bark
Archie but talks, just not a whole lot.
>Fang
Archie
>Ray
Archie, none of the stuttering shit.
>Espio
Fine
>Vector
Heroes
>Charmy
Fine but tone him down.

Gonna add Sticks too since I like her and think she could fit in the main games. Her I think would work if she was the same just minus the conspiracy aspect. Have her just be a crazy jungle girl who doesn't trust technology. I actually have an idea in which she lives in Adabat sort of jungle protector to the inhabitants of a village in Adabat. She's sort of like a female Tarzan but more crazy.

I'd say SA2's best callback was how its entire backstory subtly tied to the mural in Hidden Palace Zone via Shadow's likeness to super sonic.

It wasn't in your face with "LOOK AT THIS THING, REMEMBER THIS?" It was just a nice logical continuation that helped establishing the world as bigger than it initially appeared.

The fact that the game was generally a completely new entity of its own made the few subtle references feel more special and certainly made me appreciate them more than how generations or mania handled the older stuff.

Meant to only link the original post.

Okay but why did the Echidnas build statues of Sonic in Hydrocity Zone?

Well this wouldn't be a crossover, there wouldn't be time travel, they would just be exhibits.

While this would technically be rehashing zones, it would be closer to being a parody of the anniversary rehash title, since Eggman would forget details, skimp out on costs/details, redesign the stages to a degree for an exhibit, or would intentionally change details.

One example would be the zone "Sparkle Center" which is a original zone drawing heavily from Twinkle Park due to Eggman not getting permission to use the trademark.

Because he's canonically part of a prophecy according to Hidden Palace Zone.

Is prophecy really that hard to understand? Not going Sparky levels of stupid, here, just kinda saying it's pretty clear that Sonic's existence was prophecized and that Gerald, at some point either while the island was floating on the ocean or from studying at the Mystic Ruins, became aware of this prophecy as well as at least the concept of the Chaos and Super Emeralds and created Shadow in the image of this godlike legend.

>Shadow
>Self referential humor
>outside of Boom
God no, please no.

First for Silver a cute!
A cute!!!

So when im writing my sanic story do i create a character sheet list to keep characterization in mind?

You should if you think you'll forget. Doesn't hurt to have a space to jot down any ideas that come to you so you'll always have them on hand.

Is Mania's modding scene still just sprite swaps for now?

That could help, but I'd say you should start by perpetually cross-referencing established canonical interpretations in order to get a feel for the characters, and then you try to think from the perspective of the character, keeping that in mind whenever you write their actions and dialogue.

low intelligence pothead

What Sanic story? I'm curious.

I missed the Sonic OVA yesterday. What version did you play? Is there anything showing today?

It's only been out less than a fortnight on PC, geeze. It'll get to crazy engine overhauls soon enough.

Source?

Dub version. And today begins the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog marathon!

HE A CUTE

Honestly we're not even at good sprite swaps yet. A lot of people just want to pass off old crusty shit as "Mania quality". It'll take some time for the actual talent on that front to show up because they're not just using old shit somebody else made.

youtube.com/watch?v=uX4Ir2wBltQ
>1:13
I don't even care about this character but can we please just not. It's this kind of shit that people make fun off.

I'm learning more about Manic's character as time goes on. At first I thought he was supposed to be a hippie but he's actually based off the 80's punk subculture. Woah

Thunderbolt > Eggatha

>this can't be so bad
>maybe her parents were killed in a drunk driving accident and the guy who did it got away with it and
oh god he just keeps going with this shit

>Giving clicks to any Youtuber.
No.
I'm gonna be honest, the more we speak against the forced meme, the more people will post it. Pay no mind to the OC, ignore it, say nothing, don't feed the troll, etc. This is the correct way to deal with it, kill it with indifference.

Pic example

Can't we like both?

Autism developing in front of your eyes, what a sight.

Alright let me just say that he wants the character to have some 3 dark 5 me orphaned child backstory and have her hate the world.

That doesn't even need to be said.

Does he shoot heroin and pick fights with his fans on stage?

>The state of that fucking backstory idea
Remember when people actively mocked Sonic for doing dark & edgy bullshit?

Dammit, why it's always the grimdark origins, HAVE SO IMAGINATION FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
And these spergs are supposed to be obsessed with fiction, yet they exhibit a surprising lack of any creativity.

They stopped?

And for the hordes of shitty OC that people made.

I hope she doesn't. The idea is cute, it's just too bad her design is kind of ugly.

Didn't stop me from drawing her though.

Well he likes 06 so I don't think his opinions get much better than that. Him having any good thoughts are just of the "no shit" variety.

Make it Maria.

>her design is kind of ugly

What would you change?

I mean, I don't even hate the design & I like some OCs (mainly ones that were made for or made by people who come in here), but that was just horrible

I just want her to be there as Tails' rival or something jesus fuck this isn't serious archie bullshit anymore.

So, this guy is for ironic consumption? No, I don't do anything "ironically". Irony can poison you in larger quantities.

>Not going Sparky levels of stupid
I am not stupid. But the reason everyone is so quick to jump to that conclusion or insult me in some way, shape, or form, is because the very idea of Sonic being special somehow, is highly unappealing to them. They prefer Sonic the Hedgehog to simply be a blue rodent that runs fast, collects rings, and fights robots, nothing more / nothing less.

Adding in an actual story and narrative to it, with a deep and developed lore and mythos, that puts Sonic on this level of awesomeness and superiority, seems "silly" to them. They just can't take it seriously, or perhaps they hate the fact that it takes itself so seriously. Sonic the Hedgehog being as fast as The Flash, a speed-based superhero known for doing some crazy stuff with the simple concept of 'run fast', or being the true Ultimate Lifeform or even an Embodiment of Chaos, feels like it's taking it way to far, in their eyes, thus those ideas are met with harsh feedback and resistance.

All they want is for Sonic to be simple, fun, and not serious or deep in any way.

How about just have her be a robot Eggman builds for some evil plan, it gets destroyed, and that's that? Why do you gotta do more than that?

Why does he need a rival when he hardly does anything anymore? Hell, Sonic's rivals barely do shit.

Anything is better than the fanfiction shit. Just make it plain and simple to understand.

>→
I'll just go over a few problem characters.
>Shadow
In a sense, he has a mild mid-life crisis (though he'd never admit it). With his fucked-up backstory dealt with, he's at a loss of what to do with himself. Working for G.U.N. gives his life some structure, but he feels it's not a good enough use of his abilities. While Sonic loves life and lives it to the fullest, Shadow is never satisfied with his life, and hunts ever-more-dangerous threats (both evil and misunderstood) to test his power and prove that he's the Ultimate Life Form.
>Silver
Silver has had a hard life in the post-apocalyptic future, and he doesn't want anyone to end up in the same circumstances. To that end, he wanders time and space to right whatever wrongs he can. Unfortunately, his overdeveloped sense of justice and naive altruism make him a bit stubborn, and he often interferes in crises he might not fully understand. Unlike Sonic, who can look past imperfections and accept things for what they are, Silver just can't help but be a hero, for better and for worse. Yes, that would make him hedgehog!Raiden, but considering his poncy white hair and current voice actor, it's hard not to see a resemblance.
>Bean
Essentially the Hooligans' equivalent of Tails, but without concern for ethics or practicality. He's smarter than he looks, especially when it comes to explosives, but he's not satisfied with a simple click-click-BOOM. He tends to over-engineer, making his creations comically complex; for example, he might put a Wi-Fi router in a bomb so people can surf the Internet WITH A BOMB...only to forget to set a password, making it vulnerable to detection or hacking. He hates being bored and has to keep his hands/wingtips/whatever occupied to keep himself concentrated. Fang and Bark view him as both a nuisance and an asset, and make sure to keep a close eye on him so he doesn't do something stupid.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with giving Eggman someone like her (or Thunderbolt), but fuck that backstory

Amy, are you okay? You looked a bit, jagged.

>Sonic Adventure 2
>number 29
sankakucomplex.com/2017/09/05/top-40-best-games-of-all-time-according-to-famitsu/
not too bad

>I am not stupid
>posts the same embodiment of chaos bullshit

you take everything literally and have consistently the worst ideas about the sonic characters and setting. and of course, like any idiot with a bad opinion, you think anyone who doesn't like your shitty headcanons dislikes them because they don't want the series to have any lore, as opposed to just them correctly identifying your delusional rambling as stupid.

Why was SA2 Amy so STACKED?

Her body matured fast

>"Oh I'm okay, thanks user. Just had a bit of an accident traveling around with Cream and Big. He tripped over near the seaside hill and landed on me. Doctor Quack said it's a good thing I'm still so young and springy, or else I would've died tee-hee."

Pretty much what i thought, just have her be the Act 1 miniboss for an entire game ala Bowser Jr. in NSMB.

OPEN THE DOOR!

She's a grower, not a shower. Rouge is both, and Blaze is neither.

>Gone for one day
>Misses two threads
why are we going fast

That's where the bombs are.

Because what else are we gonna do? Go slow?

This.

Sega is not obliged to put a result of pareidolia as a boss or anything.

heh.

Sonic BOOM!

Exactly. How did Archie fuck it up for its entire run, and how do fans not get it? Hell, even the games took a while to get back on track with this. Something like the HBH, whose backstory and thing is "Egg Robos turned into wacky robots from a rock" is way better than "Ancient god at the core of the earth awakens and another god has to stop him because of manuscripts and blah blah blah". Follow KISS when it comes to Sonic characters. Keep it Simple Stupid

Post Infinite pics for my folder :>

settle down miyamoto

I'm not gonna say that every bad guy in Sonic should just be "thing Eggman builds" or that the series shouldn't have anything resembling a story or whatever other bullshit, but sometimes, some things in Sonic can be simple & this is one of them.

It's from a Sonic Boom episode, I think it was called "Blackout"

youtube.com/watch?v=vO6FKGip-HM
Jesus they're quick.