WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!!!

>WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fXbpqLzacZY
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3421183/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

#genderinequality

I need feminism because I don't want to freeze and drown in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean at night.

I've never heard of this being a thing outside of the Titanic sinking. Men are actually more likely to survive most emergency situations these days. Why shouldn't children be first, anyway? I understand women shouldn't be, but any decent parent would die for their kids if necessary.
Dying from childbirth was pretty common in the old days, and there was no contraception or laws against marital rape, or often even a choice of who you married. I never hear MRAs complain about this though.

Yeah the 1910s were so feminist. It's almost like chivalry and conscription were conservative institutions.

>Yeah the 1910s were so feminist.
Tesla thought so.
youtube.com/watch?v=fXbpqLzacZY

>Why shouldn't children be first, anyway?
They are annoying. And they don't have jobs so society is better off without them.

>Saving the most unproductive members of the society

Just why

statistically, male crew and captains were/are more likely to survive than women, children and male passengers. and male passengers were/are statistically more likely to survive than women. in terms of passenger ship disasters in the 19th and 20th century, the Titanic's survival rates stand out as unusual.

It should be youngest people first and not genders desu famalam

I always wonder what would I have done in these situations of extreme stress. Hasn't it happened to you that you have a sense of responsibility for work/school/family but when it's too much you feel tempted to just give up? Imagine being this dude and realize you just royally fucked up and all the blame will rest on you forever.

Now that you have a boat full of (mostly socialite) women and children, who is going to pull the oars?

So whats the problem?

its an age when men are chivalrous and women are feminine and ladylike
modern '''womyn''' are trash and don't deserve the same treatment

feminism kills chivalry

>Veeky Forums has a problem with women and children going first
>no problem with first class going first

most of you anti-feminist, alt-right cucks here are same as beings you argue against

YFW you realise that the demographic with the highest chance of death on the Titanic were middle class men, who didn't have the money or importance to be given a place on a lifeboat of the upper class passengers, nor the strength to push their way onto one anyway or to survive in the water long enough to be rescued of the lower class passengers.

>t.from a society which will get replaced by immigrants in his life time

>projecting modern societal thoughts to events over 100 years old

Its like you people haven't taken an undergrad history class yet

And then they turn around and complain that people do the same to the ACW. It's such a fun contrast.

>AND CHILDREN FIRST! AND CHILDREN FIRST! AND CHILDREN-

Guys, relax. Manchildren are still children.

>complaining about a unique situation over 100 years ago like it applies to the modern day

You know they only did that because they knew they didn't have enough lifeboats for all of the passengers, right? Literally two years after the disaster it became international law that you need to have complete passenger/crew capacity in lifeboats on each side of the vessel. You don't have to worry about never tasting your tendies again if your little cruise ship sinks, OP.

At least he died within a few hours of realizing that. Bruce Ismay lived for almost 3 more decades.

Info from a study done on the effect of gender and social norms on survival rates:

Titanic survival statistics:

73.3% of women survived
20.7% of men survived

Statistics from other major shipwrecks in the past 300 years

17.8% of women survived
34.5% of (non-crew) men survived

Of the 18 ship sinkings studied, women only had a survival advantage over men in 2 of them: Titanic and Birkenhead.

It should be noted that the Birkenhead statistic is a bit misleading: women technically had a higher survival rate, but that is because all 7 women and 13 children on the ship were put onto lifeboats before men were allowed on. There were 188 survivors, and 168 of them were men.

For 11 of the wrecks, men had a survival advantage over women. For 5 of them, there was no significant survival difference between men and women. But there was a significant survival difference between crew and passengers/civilians.

Of the 18 ships, Women and Children First was only given in 5 ships. The survival rate of women improves by 9.6% when the captain orders Women and Children First.

>Be passenger on Titanic.
>Get woken up about 2:00 AM.
>Stumble outside your cabin, still half-asleep, to see what all the commotion is about.
>Find hallway strangely slanted, flooded with rapidly rising water. Wait, what...?
>Seriously: water is INSIDE the fucking boat... Oh God! What the fuck?!?!
>Head up top only to emerge into a world of pure chaos as you join 1,500 other people all in a panic because the entire god damn ship is literally fucking SINKING into the cold, Atlantic fucking Ocean AND THERE ARE NO MORE GOD DAMN FUCKING LIFE BOATS!!!
>Know for a terrifying fact that you, yourself, and everyone around you are all hopelessly fucking doomed, that fucking imminent, inescapable DEATH is coming for all of you right the fuck now and there is absolutely. nothing. you. can. do. about it.
>As the suction drags you down into the watery abyss from which you'll never emerge, you understand that you were one of the unlucky ones, who didn't manage to survive, and in the last bastion of your mind before it fades it occurs to you that this happening will surely be recorded in history as one of the greatest catastrophes of the 20th century.
>And you were there.
>And you didn't make it.
>And no one will ever know your tale, for you are one of the many, now.
>And your dying thought is that you fell for the meme:
>"Unsinkable," they said...

>only wake up at 2 am, 20 minutes before it sinks and well into the commotion

Heavy sleepers get what they deserve

>many life boats only loaded at half capacity
>many of them immediately rowed away so they couldn't hear the captain's desperate megaphone pleas to come back and pick up more passengers
>women and children in charge of life boats

>Women and children in charge of boats

Each one of them had an officer or a crewman as the boat commander.

>I blame the patriarchy for this.

Also:
>women and children
>and

>many of them immediately rowed away so they couldn't hear the captain's desperate megaphone pleas to come back and pick up more passengers

They could hear him. They just didn't come back.

>women and children in charge of life boats

Every boat had multiple male crew members who were in charge of the boats.

>They could hear him. They just didn't come back.

Because of the very reasonable fear that they would be swamped by all the people in the water.

Nah, the bitches were all cowards who didn't want to get their dainty hands wet helping disgusting men into their boat.

>modern '''womyn''' are trash and don't deserve the same treatment
epic, simply epic

Not an argument. Debate his arguments or fuck off back to /leftypol/ where you belong.

>Debate his arguments
???
I can't debate thin air.

because then men have the chance to think about a solution without panicking women...

That's what I thought. Fuck off, libcuck.

Not an argument.

>2016
>not being a master debater of thin air
>not being able to argue science and facts, like the oxygen density of our atmosphere, because all you have is emotional "arguments" like "muh feelings"
The greatest tragedy of the Titanic is that you weren't a passenger, Anita.

>boat sinks
>go into water
>die

Couldn't they just swim?

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND

Oh, I'm not talking about when the people were in the water. The captain's original orders were for the lifeboats to remain close by after lowering so that more people could be put into them (since people were initially reluctant to get into them) but they rowed away and despite his orders to come back, did not. The crew basically had no training regarding lifeboat and evacuation procedures, and it unfortunately led to hundreds of deaths. For another example, only one third class steward bothered doing his job, which was collecting all of the passengers under his care and getting them to lifeboats.

It was understandable that the lifeboats were hesitant to go back into the thousands of screaming, hysterical people in the darkness, even if it's heartbreaking. One crewman specifically told a few of the women in his boat, after he and they were overruled by the officer and others in the boat about going back:

>Ladies, if any of us are saved, remember, I wanted to go back. I would rather drown with them than leave them.

Then you have people like Lowe, who after he and the people in his boat were yelling to an asian man lashed to a door in the water, trying to see if he was alive:

>"What's the use?" said Mr. Lowe. He's dead, likely, and if he isn't there's others better worth saving than a Jap!"

>He had actually turned our boat around; but he changed his mind and went back. The Japanese was hauled on board, and one of the women rubbed his chest, while others chafed his hands and feet. In less time than it takes to tell, he opened his eyes. He spoke to us in his own tongue; then, seeing that we did not understand, he struggled to his feet, stretched his arms above his head, stamped his feet, and in five minutes or so had almost recovered his strength. One of the sailors near to him was so tired that he could hardly pull his oar. The Japanese bustled over, pushed him from his seat, took the oar and worked like a hero until we were finally picked up.

>be male Titanic passenger
>shit hits the fan (iceberg)
>sentenced to death cuz muh women and children lol lmao
>have sudden epiphany
>realize i'm actually a woman
>inform the officer i now self-identify as a six year old girl and demand access to the life boat
>tells me to fuck off and die
>angry mob of twitter SJWs, gaming "journalists," YouTube Heroes and Buzzfeed contributors materialize from out of the ether
>swamp the officer with synchronized "articles" about the end of sailing, innumerable questions the "transgender master-race has for sea-manbabies," mass-flag him for false copyright infringement and TOS violations which the White Star Line automatically accepts, and generally overwhelm him with incessant whining, rape accusations, and virtue signals until, finally, he gets fired from his job
>wild pack of riotous BLM protestors appear out of no where, murder the officer and storm the lifeboat, overturning it -- dumping all 63 white passengers overboard -- and setting fire to it
>Captain Smith, moved to tears by their heroic actions, delivers congratulatory megaphone speech celebrating diversity, and orders officers to begin shooting white males, including themselves, on sight to prevent them from appropriating other lifeboats
And that's how I survived the Titanic.

Bait.
>what is hypothermia

h*lla f*ckin e*pic my /br/other!
EDIT: Any tips on becoming as cool as you?

Like that the sharks aren't hungry anymore.

now that is interesting

What determines a good survival rate in someone during a sinking ship?
If there was no 'women and children first' rule during a sinking, why would women die more often?

And yet here you are.

Noooo, you don't say?

I'm guessing if it's a mad scramble for life boats and your own safety, men are easier able to overpower the women, and thus save themselves more easily? Dunno.

Physicality and knowledge of the ship. If the captain does not enforce women and children first, there is no priority given to passengers. So when there are hundreds or thousands of people, including physically strong sailors and crewmen, scrambling for lifeboats and the social order is not enforced, then passengers (women, children and men included) are at a serious disadvantage. Women are at an even higher disadvantage for physical reasons. They may not know where to go, be able to overpower crew members crowding the deck or the lifeboats, or will be unable to get onto it themselves. For Titanic, you had to literally jump into the lifeboats because of how they are positioned--if you weren't being helped by the men in the boat and the men on the deck, you were at serious risk for getting injured. And a few women were injured particularly towards the end when it was more chaotic.

From the study (Full thing can be read here: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3421183/)

>We analyze a database of 18 maritime disasters spanning three centuries, covering the fate of over 15,000 individuals of more than 30 nationalities. Our results provide a unique picture of maritime disasters. Women have a distinct survival disadvantage compared with men. Captains and crew survive at a significantly higher rate than passengers. We also find that: the captain has the power to enforce normative behavior; there seems to be no association between duration of a disaster and the impact of social norms; women fare no better when they constitute a small share of the ship’s complement; the length of the voyage before the disaster appears to have no impact on women’s relative survival rate; the sex gap in survival rates has declined since World War I; and women have a larger disadvantage in British shipwrecks. Taken together, our findings show that human behavior in life-and-death situations is best captured by the expression “every man for himself.”

Ah ok, I guess I didn't have a proper conception of just how hectic and physical such a situation is.

The study sounds interesting, as well as oddly specific. I guess there's a study for everything.

bump

I understand dying for my child, but why should I die for some random brat?

huh, interesting.

>Our results provide unique insights about human behavior in life-and-death situations. On the Titanic, the survival rate of women was more than three times higher than the survival rate of men (11). By investigating a much larger sample of maritime disasters than what has previously been done, we show that the survival rate of women is, on average, only about half that of men. We interpret this as evidence that compliance with the WCF norm is exceptional in maritime disasters. That women fare worse than men has also been documented for natural disasters (38–42). We also find that crew members have a higher survival rate than passengers and that only 9 of 16 captains went down with their ships. Children appear to have the lowest survival rate.

1/2

2/2

>Moreover, we shed light on some common perceptions of how situational and cultural conditions affect the survival of women. Most notably, it seems as if it is the policy of the captain, rather than the moral sentiments of men, that determines whether women are given preferential treatment in shipwrecks. This finding suggests an important role for leaders in disasters. Preferences of leaders seem to have affected survival patterns also in the evacuations of civilians during the Balkan Wars (43). In contrast to previous studies, we find no association between duration of the disaster and the influence of social norms. Furthermore, women do not appear to benefit from constituting a small share of the passengers. Neither do we find that contextual factors, which are likely to reduce social distance on board the ship, such as the length of the voyage and the size of the complement, influence the survival rate of women. Moreover, we find that the sex gap in survival rates has decreased since World War I. This supports previous findings that higher status of women in society improves their relative survival rate in disasters (41). We also show that women fare worse, rather than better, relative to men in maritime disasters involving British ships. This contrasts with the notion of British men being more gallant than men of other nationalities. On the basis of our analysis, it becomes evident that the sinking of the Titanic was exceptional in many dimensions and that what happened on the Titanic seems to have spurred misconceptions about human behavior in disasters.

Kek

Whoever has the guns decides who's allowed in the rowboat.

I agree, you ought to have been exposed to the elements before you grew up to be a failure.

Did you just assume my gender?