Does Stanley make good tools? Found this set for just $50

Does Stanley make good tools? Found this set for just $50

Attached: stan.jpg (1500x1399, 243K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c8SXGJ3BXfk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

stanley isn't the worst brand you could buy

but is it decent?

Just but Pittsburgh. They're super cheap with a unlimited lifetime warranty.

I got caught being a huge punch that I didn't have. Grab a impact socket and my biggest hammer and go to town. Got done what needed to be done and destroyed my socket. Walked right in to harbor freight with this used and abused impact socket
>This won't fit like it should
Socket is wallowed out and obviously been hit with a hammer
>Get a new
Says the guy behind the counter
Walk out satisfied with a brand new impact socket

I'm not a big fan. I've got some Stanley box cutters, measuring tapes and so on that are really nice, but those are from the old times before they were bought out by the chinks. Since then the quality has gone way down

I've found them to be the same quality as harbor freight.

I'd avoid regular Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh Professional is fine though.

I have no idea what to even recommend for affordable tools in these post-Craftsman days. Kobalt seem decent, I guess.

If it’s not Matco, MAC, Snap-On, or Proto, it will definitely be of lower quality.

They're breddy gud desu, just don't use the ratchets as hammers like I did once and you'll be fine.

Got a bahco kit for christmas, it's a 100€ set but I would have had 0 problem paying that after I got to use them for a while.

Don't know about stanley, we don't have those here

Attached: WhatsApp Image 2017-12-25 at 21.00.37.jpg (900x1600, 157K)

He did say that it isn't the worst..............

i bought the 99 piece set a few weeks back and can't complain. they're about the same quality as my craftsmen set i guess. as long as you're not a professional mechanic abusing them daily then you won't have any problems. i think they're def worth the $75 i paid

Attached: 71BK6Sz8Y7L._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 179K)

It's sad to see what has become of craftsmen. Those tools used to be amazing and compared to snap on at half the price. But modern day craftsmen is garbage.

(you)
>>If it's not a overpriced piece of crap tool that will break under normal use it's an affordable piece of crap tool that will break under normal use.

The post

I have that same set actually. Only bought it because it was black. My ratchet doesn't work right anymore. The switch that determines which direction the bolt turns constantly moves out of position and I have to hold it in place.

Objectavley wrong fartcock

>no 12 mm wrench
garbage

I wrench on stuff every month or so, mostly use harbor freight stuff. I had a socket adapter break once on a reaaaallly stuck bolt, but I doubt better quality would have helped. Better tools don't really make a job much easier, but being able to afford the correct tool will.

If you do big projects you want more durable tools, but if you just want to do oil changes and brake jobs and maybe fix a lawnmower, cheapest is fine.

I bought a kit by the same manufacturer as yours pictured when it was sold as Husky back in 2010.
I still use the kit to this day.
The 1/4" ratchet is crusty, I didn't take it apart, but I dripped oil on it and let it seep in and it's not as bad as it was, but the 3/8ths and 1/2 ratchets have been through hell and back and they're skookum.
Better than any used crapsman you'll get at a yardsale.

I really wish they'd make good complete sets in blow molded cases that only had SI or only had Customary.

Give me a set of 1/2" 6 points from 10mm to 24mm.
Give me a set of 3/8ths 12 points from 8mm to 18mm.
Give me a set of 3/8ths 6 point deeps from 8mm to 18mm
Give me a set of 1/4" 6 points from 4mm to 10mm
Give me a set of 1/4" 6 point deeps from 4mm to 10mm
Give me combination wrenches in from 6mm to 21mm.
Give we swivels for each size, give me a short and long extension for each size, give me a 1/4" screw driver handle

Give me all that for under $150 in a blow molded case that holds the sockets and wrenches in place well.
Don't worry about screw driver's I'll bring my own. Don't worry about hex keys, I'll bring my own. Don't worry hammers, I'll bring my own.
I just want a metric set. Just metric, only metric, and a complete set, so I can bring it with me to the junkyard and not fuck around.
I'd buy their American and Metric versions of those kits.

It would be cool if they also offered a "specialty" fastener socket set too.

Torks 15,20,25,27,30,35,40,45,47,50,55,60
Hex Key Long Square nose in all common sizes (INCLUDING 9mm Harbor freight you fucking retards, Ford uses 9mm on their brakes)
Hex key long ball nise in all common sizes
Triple square in all common sizes
E torks in all common sizes

It would be so nice to have complete decent quality tool kits to bring to the junkyard.

but old crapsman is best crapsman

Not clapped out used tools.
You and your boomer meme friends are so stupid if you think tools out of spec are better than tools in spec.

Those big giant size stickers look good now but they're going to wear off eventually and if it's not stamped into the metal somewhere you're going to be constantly frustrated.

I just bought my buddy the 301 peace Pittsburgh set (might be Pittsburgh pro?) For 150. He's super happy with it

Attached: 1213tr-01+best-mechanic-tool-set-under-200+pittsburgh-professional-301-piece-tool-kit.jpg (1600x1200, 302K)

i bought that set at walmart. still have it. best ratchet ive owned. most sockets are made to the same quality.

Those aren't stickers. That's etching.
Yes if you put your sockets in a tumbler or something it would wear off and you wouldn't be able to identify them.

There decent, even Youtube mechanic cucks that use pro-tool's say there good.

I have these two what the fuck do you use the big one for

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1770x984, 173K)

fuck you, shill

I am serious why is it so big what is it used for!!!

I bought stanley, works gud. However don't buy black, you'll loose a socket in the engine bay and never be able to find it again.

Chris Fix uses those stanly sockets.

that set is pretty good. the label is easier to read than stamped numbers but the case sucks, and a lot of times i need a screw driver to pry out a socket from that set. that being said, the ratchets are quite strong and hold up to having a pipe used on them, but the ratcheting resistance is above average and you need to do more hand loosening than with a higher quality ratchet set.

I have the same set and after two years of heavy use, the black finish gets really scratched up. I see why every tool maker goes with silver chrome.

My recommendation is fuck 3/8 drive, it's just too fragile for real work. I've broken 3 wrenches so far. I only use the 3/8 wrench when I need to take of 8mm bolts on the interior.

Go for the 1/2 drive. I got a 1/2 wrench with a set from 10mm to 24mm. The wrenches are just beefy and the sockets don't wear out and stop fitting into the drive. Plus you can also buy impact wrench sockets and use them with your wrench.

Attached: css.png (504x375, 183K)

Eric the car cuck and others said there pretty decent for shop use.

They're OK, get the job done for a home mechanic on a budget

I bought those rebranded SK impact sockets from lowes too.
Good sockets.
3/8ths is my go to ratchet size though. Anything 10,12,13,14,15,16 I use 3/8s if I'm using hand tools.

I have a set of 1/2 16 point chrome sockets made by Stanley that I got in 2011. I don't work professionally but I work on cars all the time and they're all still good. no stripped sockets or anything.

10/10 would recommend

I have had pic for about 6 years now and they have never missed a beat, ratchet still works and what not, have never stripped a socket or anything so i can't complain about stanley.

Attached: 223839-zoom.jpg (1200x1200, 164K)

>16 point
For what purpose.
The Stanley black chrome set I have came with 8 point sockets and I've never had a use for them.

they've been hit and miss for me. sockets are fine but the ratchets either last forever or are fucked right out of the box.

8 points are for square nuts/bolts. pretty much unheard of to most people these days. don't really understand why so many sets include them

just use your dad's tools retard

Shit, pic releated costs 160€. I doubt that Stanley stuff can be any good. Of course you could use it for home wrenching, if you use it for light stuff, not for something professional. Or even industrial.

Attached: nasad.kljuci-12_7mm-unior-10-32-mm-23-delna-6-kotni-art.-190bi_194373_[1].jpg (600x600, 34K)

Nothing you're going to be doing requires more expensive socket tools than what you can find at your local hardware stores.

If you want to do some good wrenching on your vehicle then invest in a good set of torque wrenches. Get small and large ones for in-lbs and ft-lbs.

Noice, I'm pretty happy with my bahco tools too.

Attached: bahco.jpg (720x960, 113K)

some of us don't live in Swedestan

what if he needs them, not everyone is a manchild who lives with their parents

>snap-on get rejected by knippex, and channel locks
sweden gets blacked
kek

Entry level but decent QC and quality, especially for the price.

$50 seems like a good price

2nd

I bought a half inch set a while back and its really solid. Really nice weighty sockets, havent even scratched them yet.
Im going to get a quarter set sometime soon.

Bahco is good. I'm strongly considering adding the 106 piece set to my garage, as all my wrench/ratchet sets are kinda mixed, with the main 1/2 ratchet set being quite worn and the ratchet itself slipping

Attached: 140002[1].jpg (1024x1024, 128K)

T. Never used a snap on ratchet

I'll admit their sockets and most hand tools are overpriced as fuck. But their ratchets are pretty much GOAT.

This. I won't buy any tool with etched sizes or brand logos. They wear off within a few years of use

is it possible to get Bahco in the United States?

They're owned by snap on incorporated so sort of. Old bahco is amazing quality, some of the modern products are great but some are just cheap junk with orange plastic. The set previously mentioned is pretty good.

Attached: tools.jpg (2048x1228, 399K)

Quick question: I'm new to doing repairs. Which size wrenches should I buy as my first set for oil changes etc?

I have a Nissan Micra k11

Attached: 1518531781582.jpg (1280x1920, 744K)

Just buy a socket set and an oil filter wrench (pic related).

Every Nissan I've done an oil change on has a 14mm bolt head on the drain plug thought FYI.

Attached: 9013245_ptl_w54045_pri_larg.jpg (450x450, 13K)

DO YOU KNOW STANLEY M8?
youtube.com/watch?v=c8SXGJ3BXfk

What the fuck is this post

>I have a Nissan micra

I’m sorry user

I have a set similar to this with the black Stanley bits, all the 1/4” drives break and won’t hold a socket on. Also being black it’s really easy to lose them both in and out of the engine bay, and read what the numbers say without direct light. I’ve never lost so many sockets as I have with this kit

for weekend wrenching, just buy harbor freight or husky shit

for pro work? get MAC

>needing an oil filter wrench that won't work for shit

You get yourself some channel lock pliers and you go to town on that motherfucking filter

In general it's best to avoid tools made in china. Taiwanese tools offer pretty good quality at a reasonable price if you're not able to afford USA made tools.

Gearwrench has some pretty good socket sets and ratchets. I think I paid a little over $100 for a pretty complete 3/8 and 1/4 set.

Attached: KDT-80550F-02-2T.jpg (288x288, 41K)

So if its snap on it will cost a small fortune for a basic set right?

>needing an oil filter wrench
numale

Accurate. You can destroy lifetime warranty cheapo tools and just get new ones. I broke a fucking breaker bar trying to take my lugs off, just sheared the end off. I went to Napa and got a new one for free

He might need it since its his first time doing an oil change you dumb niggers

Attached: 1517958011760.png (645x729, 183K)

>Every Nissan I've done an oil change on has a 14mm bolt head on the drain plug thought FYI
>every nissan
>I've done an oil change on
>done an oil change on
>oil change on
>change
>oil
>on
>Nissan
>the
dumb

>chinese tools

Attached: hard nut.jpg (623x671, 43K)

>Tools used to be amazing

What where you buying? it certainly wasn't the craftsman i remember.

>Shit ratchets
>Shit wrenches
>Okay but soft screwdrivers
>The list goes on

>3/8 ratchet keeps breaking
>3/8 is a shit drive size
>1/2" for everything

Fuck off, get some decent tools you fucking cuck, no one in the real wold is using a 1/" ratchets to take off or put on a 10mm bolt.

That was my initial post, what about it? Damn you're stupid.

>no 12 mm wrench
>garbage
if you werent such a benchracing scrub you'd realise that some size bolts are used much less frequently, such as 12, 16 and 18. I dont think I've ever actually seen 25, 26 and 29 for example.

>USA made tools.
Lemme guess, same "durability" as USA made cars?

Attached: 1508045900323.jpg (492x364, 65K)

Every one of my kobalt flat tip screwdrivers has bent or broken the tip. Even my Stanley one has done better.

All my new craftsman stuff works well too.

How the fuck do you keep breaking 3/8 tools? I even use 3/8" sockets with impact wrenches and breaker bars to do over 100 ft-lb and they work just fine.

Also for the vast majority of jobs it's easier or required to use the smaller ratchet due to limited working room.

I just buy the lifetime warranty stuff from home depot because it's literally a 5 minute walk from my shop.