Is an early C6 corvette a terrible dream car?

Is an early C6 corvette a terrible dream car?

It'd be my first car, and I've gotta work for the next few months to get it, but I can do it. I wanted a C5 for the past years and I've been saving but for the price they're going for (12k) I'm finding 2005 c6s for 15-17k.

I'm 24, if that matters

Attached: 2006-c6-corvette-z06-blackbird-black_F50543277.jpg (1000x767, 120K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UcvHSmF28qc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By it would be your first car, you mean the first car you bought yourself...right? Surely you've been driving something over the last 10 years.

Corvettes are pretty simple cars, but specialty parts are expensive.

I'd honestly look at a c5z. C6 is nice but a c5z is a lot of performance for a good price.

I've been riding motorcycles since I was 14, but after breaking my collarbone due to some lady on a phoneI want to get into cars now.

I looked at a c5z and they're the same price as a c6. I can only really afford automatic. This is not a car I'm going to be taking out to the track and really tuning and modding, it's just gonna be a DD I take out on the weekend every once in a while.

C5zs are good performance, yes, but when it comes to my first car ever and having placed more importance on how much more modern and aggressive c6s look compared to the c5 I'd like to just get the c6

you'll probably kill yourself within a week

go for it!

really? because I've been riding a s1000rr for 3 years and haven't had a single problem

I can think of one problem.

Go ahead dude, if I you don't think I have the trigger discipline you can fuck off. I'm not going to fuck around with a beater just so I can learn the rules of the road, I drive responsibly and I'm not going to own a corvette when I'm 30

Go for it man. I'm a european but C6 is a cool fucking car

I think I will bro, I'm mainly asking if for about $16000-$18000, is a c6 corvette the baddest bitch you can roll through the city in?

My dad has owned a 2007 C6 for a few years now so here my two cents. He paid 27k for his in 2014 and has put around 4k of repairs into it since then. He's put around 10k miles on it and had very meh reliability. It's stranded him once so far from a bad ecu, flexed enough to crack the windshield, and we've had to open the door through the trunk from a broken proximity key twice.

All that's from an example that has 50k miles on it. Livable problems really, but his car has only 50k miles on it. I can't imagine buying a 15k example with over 100k on it as being a good only car. If you can't afford paying cash for it I wouldn't recommend it.

If it's not, it's pretty damn close. I think a v10 m5 can be had for around that? But fuck the maintenance on it

Were they problems that could have been self served to save money? I'm a mechanical engineering bach with masters in electrical, I've done all the work on my own bikes for the past 10 years pretty much. I don't know how it is for cars

also post pics and how many pussies did your dad crush

I actually like the c6 the most out of all the corvettes if i had the money i would definitely get one op

Anything involving corvette repairs isn't cheap.

Corvettes have pretty a good stability control system. You'd have to be pretty fool hardy to turn it all the way off on the road for anything other than donuts.

I get what you're getting at, but you didn't start on a S1000RR. A Corvette can get you in trouble seriously fast, it has a relatively short wheelbase and a lot of power that's available all over the rev range.

Yes, it can get you in trouble fast, if you lack disciprine. I'm not getting a manual, I don't know if that matters. I'm more than willing to take my time with the car.

and I didn't start on a s1000rr, you're right, I started on a 250 like everyone else and worked my way up. That was because I was a teenager and any bike was cool. I'm not driving a shitbin around for my mid twenties just because there was a chance I had a heart attack and pinned the gas pedal on the car I really wanted

No not really. He had to replace the harmonic balancer, clutch assembly, bell housing, flywheel, ECU, and windshield. The proximity key had to be replaced once and reprogrammed again later.

If you think girls like fast cars, you'll have your dreams crushed. Mainly by middle aged men who will fuck you ear off about the corvette they used to own in the 70's and how "fast" it was.

>fiberglass shitbox with a truck motor
>anything but cheap

Girls like hot dudes with cool shit, I'm done with loading cuties on the back and showing them 140mph because

1. It's fucking dangerous as shit loading drunk whores onto your shit
2. It's uncomfortable
3. Most girls won't get in your car, and you can't really get threesomes going.

My hopes with the C6 are to still have something "crazy" to show them, and I can load
a third girl in for when the time comes

Attached: 7CVcUUW.jpg (360x480, 51K)

won't get on your bike* sorry

I have a 2008 Corvette C6 that i've daily driven for years and have racked up over 50k miles on it. Listen to the user above when he says shit needs to be fixed. It sounds like you can wrench, but don't think for a second its reliable. Things will break, and at the price range you are looking at, you are looking at the end of the serviceable life of some parts.

The good thing is the parts are very cheap to replace iff you have a good place you can replace yourself.

Im not trying to dissuade you, just letting you know what to expect.

I'm okay with that, though if I buy it this summer (June, maybe) I'd pretty much have the car and less than 2-3 thousand in spare cash (apart from rent, food). I'll save up some more for repairs but is that enough to get me through half a year at least?

As user from above I should mention part costs are pretty affordable. It will break constantly though so that's why I don't recommend it as an only car. It's my dad's weekend retirement car so he is real happy with it.

>first car
>corvette
RIP

OK, some things since your buying an automatic
1. Avoid the 2005 automatics if possible. Read up on them, they had a really bad Steering Column Lock that causes ignition problems.

2. 2005 Automatics had 4 speed (gasp). Get the 2006+

Just avoid 2005 if you are doing automatic

I can't recommend buying one if all you've got afterwards is 3k left. Owning a used sports car and living on the edge of financial solvency is exactly why these things trade hands so often. But you're young and aren't looking for advice, just encouragement to go through with it. I've been there...

I NEED A PUSSY WAGON AND IM SICK OF BIKES BRO!

C5s ARE FUCKING UGLY

I don't get the C5's are ugly ? Also you want a pussy wagon literally just get a nice 4k Toyota and keep it waxed and clean. If you are coming from a Bike you will honestly not be thrilled with any car's performance.

Attached: 1457659353242.png (366x427, 302K)

I know, I know. I love the bike, I might buy one for fucking around offroad later. I won't ride on the street ever again, it's a lucky mans game and I don't want to play anymore.

I mainly just want to kick the throttle and have people scream

>first car
>Corvette
No.

If you need a pussy wagon then follow the real rule, "bitches love badges." Women know nothing about cars so any 4 door german car will impress them more than a chevy badge. You can buy a barely used three series for 20k and women will wet their pants over it far more than a corvette. It'll have half the miles and actually be more reliable than a vette too.

You'll get more girls if you work on yourself and buy a minivan.

When I got my vette all I got was old guys talking to me at gas stations

>not getting a manual

I was looking and boxsters and caymans, still am, but they don't have the wow factor a corvette does.

If I got a porsche I'd get an 07 cayman S

> I can feel the IMS bearing thread coming

07 cayman S doesnt have IMS probs methinks

i was looking at 986 boxsters but fuck that won't impress anyone

Dude whores don't give a shit about sports cars, only guys do. Guys will talk your ear off about pushrods and the Evo/STi they've wanted to build and how E36 M3s are the coolest cars ever. Girls just like the colors. I mean they'll like being able to take the top off on a Corvette but that's about it. Get a Wrangler or a pickup if it matters.

That said if you have any sense of throttle control its not a bad car. Have you at least driven a car in the past? The manual removes a good amount of control from it being a sports car and you have to keep in mind a decent set of tires on it will run you $1200-1500. Its not a very good only car (terrible in the snow/rain, small, impractical, expensive on insurance) and honestly coming from a motorcycle I'd get a NC Miata instead as a first car.

Bitches love pickups too. You know what they really like though? Chad. Chad can pick them up in a 15 year old Impala and rail them out because he has charisma and connections.

I'm not buying a miata, I think they're fucking ugly

The car is a complement to my personality, I'm not buying it thinking it's going to do anything. The only use I really have for transportation is a very short drive to work and going out, so something that bitches love takes the priority because I go out 3-4x a week

>buying a car to impress people
Just go join your local normie car club

Buy a Civic

no

H-hello user-kun, natsuki likes your car it looks very cute! your telling me its a really expensive car! Wow I am so impressed! Let me fellate you in the back!

Brrraaaap

Oh user-kun, the exhaust sound scares me! Let me OuT! I am going back to Tyrone and his Safe Truck!

Attached: 1521391511114.jpg (1080x1080, 183K)

Yeah, I'm going with this. I bet he's going to floor it the first chance he gets and end up wrapped around a tree.

>grabs cuck by the collar
BACK THE FUCK UP???

Women are attracted to dogs.
Get a dog.
youtu.be/UcvHSmF28qc

nobody cares a dick shit about ugly ferarris and cucks

this but unironically

inc wall of text.
I owned a 2011 C6 for 5 years. Fun track car, but the ride quality was ass. I took a few cross country trips to car shows or concerts and every time I stopped for gas my ass was pounding, and I mean pounding in the bad gay way. You will want to replace the stock radio and speakers asap, BOSE is a meme. If you're tall or fat, you will hate the vet. You almost have to lay down to get inside the car. Also, get ready to attract every boomer within a mile every time you stop anywhere. Owning a vet and boomers are like PB&J, it just comes with it. Make sure you understand that you have a fast car, do not floor it during a turn or you will die or wreck your car, or both. Tires are going to get expensive if you want run flats. Corvette owners typically don't ever have spares on the car because there really isn't any room. Tires will run you about $220 a piece depending on where you go.

any pics user?

how do the girls like it?

I am talking a bit out ignorance here on the c6 but i had a base c5 in college and test drove a c7 when they were coming out and have to disagree with you on a couple of things. The ride quality is a bit hard but not horrible. While I have not driven cross country in a vette i would frequently travel 700 miles non stops (except for gas of course) and was a bit stiff. It was hot though really hot. Stock radio does suck. I am six feet tall and I am a fat ass but actually fit comfortably in the c5 and c7 with room to spare and had no problem getting in or out. Ditto on the boomers and teenagers that like cars, people literally pulled next to me on the freeway going 70 or 80 mph signal me to roll down my window and tried to talk about the car or complement it?????

>any pics user?
I don't have my phone on me sadly. It was black and was a dirt magnet. But damn did it look nice after a wash and wax.
>how do the girls like it?
I got some bad news for you. Corvettes are the ultimate dude magnets, especially older men. Women would occasionally comment on it, but it was mostly older, which I didn't have a problem with. MILFS or GILFS are okay in my book.
Maybe the ride quality got better with the c7. I guess I shouldn't hold it to such standards with a sports car. I did rent a Challenger when I was out of state for work and damn are those a comfy ride.

So this is your first car ever and you're in your mid-20s? (You can also just say how old...23?) Sounds like a bad idea to me, especially seeing posts where people say the same and you are not really arguing, but trying to persuade them that it will be OK. Meanwhile, you are the one asking the question in the first place...see what I'm saying?

Manual > auto, but I almost wonder if auto would be worse also because it will allow you to pay even less attention to what you are doing, which could go horribly wrong quickly.

Lastly, it's easy to say you aren't going to fuck around with this thing while posting on the internet and not actually owning one. You seem concerned about looks and image, so when someone in their V8 Mustang is revving at you and calling you a pussy, you're just going to say "I'm not a punk kid" and then drive off casually? Saying things like "I drive responsibly and I'm not going to own a corvette when I'm 30" make me wonder where your head is. Is that because you are young and want to have fun?

Not defending op, but I can understand what he wants. I was young and stupid more than a few years ago and wanted to have a nice flashy sports car to go fast in and yes the standard freeway pull or red light drag. But I never crashed and actually made me a better driver by learning to know how much i can push myself and my car on the street within reason and how they behave or act when nearing a certain limit whether speed or traction etc etc. He want to have a bit of fun lets just hope he can be one of the smart ones and find his limit or he will just be another statistic wrapped around a pole.

I hear you, I think a lot of people fall into the same boat (if they're into cars/bikes at least). I did plenty of stupid shit growing up but a 500hp rwd car can easily become a recipe for disaster. Also, after being on this board for a while, you see these threads here and there. What it all boils down to is that OP is NOT convinced it's a good idea (not to say he thinks it's a terrible one either) so he's hoping we'll convince him/rationalize for him.

If he actually had an S1000RR, then at least he has that experience going for him, even though it's still not really the same. Skimming through the thread, just seems like OP is not ready for either one and is probably lucky he didn't die on the BMW.

Things like:
>I mainly just want to kick the throttle and have people scream
>C5zs are good performance, yes, but when it comes to my first car ever and having placed more importance on how much more modern and aggressive c6s look compared to the c5 I'd like to just get the c6
>Go ahead dude, if I you don't think I have the trigger discipline you can fuck off.
>I think I will bro, I'm mainly asking if for about $16000-$18000, is a c6 corvette the baddest bitch you can roll through the city in?

Though I hope that last one isn't really OP.

I mean, if he took it to the track and learned the ins and outs of the car, that would be a different story. You hear about people who drive 3k civics all their life and when they finally get a hold of something fast, they end up getting into a wreck sooner or later because they don't realize just how big of a difference a 120hp shitbox is compared to even something like a 350hp sports car. And a C6 is no slouch when it comes to speed.

Yea but he's talking about DD

Why not a Nissan 350z with a few simple mods?
>high revving, high power V6
>won't fuck you as hard at the pump
>available either as an auto or manual
>reliable
>decent handling, no faggy live axle
>decent examples are about half the price of a used C6
>other half you saved can be put into a supercharger or turbo kit, stock engine can be pushed to 450hp safely before needing to install forged rods and pistons

>no faggy live axle
Corvette doesn't have a live axle either.
Stop pushing this meme

Please stop telling people about my dream car, your going to ruin it before I can afford one

For 15k you could get a nice comfy reliable GTO g8 or PPV or even a older ss

LS2 dumb as fuck reliable handle well love skids and long cruises comfy as

Downside is parts that come from GM Aus

Older Camaro's are ok from a reliability standpoint if they are based on the zeta platform and have easily available parts so that might be a more realistic option tbqh

C3-6 was my dream car for ages but reading this thread confirms what I've known for ages they look good and go fast but are a pita to live with just like all supercars

Get a 2007-2017 zetamaro

I drove the shit out of this car in gran turismo 4.

There was no C6 in GT4.

was it 3 A-spec? or 5, can't remember.

It was in 5 and 6. GT4 came out in '04 which was the last year of the C5.

>and you can't really get threesomes going.
and you're getting a 2 seater car?

This plain and simple.

Your average 20 something cum dumpsters don't even know what a Corvette is. They're not in rap videos.
Italian sports cars on the other hand...

you're an idiot

>hurr i need a car tio get me pussy

go to the gym you dweeb

Don't get your dream car as your first car.

I'm not convinced it's a good idea because I don't know if there is something better I can get for around 15k. I know the corvette is all performance, and to be honest I don't really care that much about performance. I was looking into BRZs too but I don't like asian girls.

Get a fucking SC400 or SC430 then, or just get a nice truck then. All the average woman cares about cars is luxury or how big it is. Just look at the cars they actually want if they have a man's cash to spend, it's either a new luxury brand, a SUV, or both. It's only when strapped for cash that they get econocars, which their husbands usually are.
9/10 will see your not new model Corvette and think how unsafe and small it is.

I just bought a 2007 z06 last september to go along with my 03 s2000. God, its an amazing car.

We truly live in a great timeline for sports cars ownership. The fact that C5z, and soon to be C6z, are actually affordable is amazing.

I paid 28 for it and it has 63k miles on it. Though the heads havent been done so thats something I need to spend some coin on. Other than that I have no complaints and its been modded just the way Id do it myself.

>buying vehicles to pick up girls
Get it out of your head, you'll be less disappointed later

I wish I lived in the US. Here in Aus the chespest C6s go for at least $80k aud, fuck me right.

>$80k aud
>$61640 USD
Holy fuck. That's like the price of a new C7 2LT.

C5 is great if you learn to maintain it. Only downside is the understeer. Practically have to tune suspension like its a Civic to promote front wheel grip so the car is more forgiving if your off the race line.
Things used to get dailied so it's not too hard to find between 10-30k in good shape but maintenance and insurance cost will fuck you.

>how many pussies did your dad crush
fuck off you're retarded

>flexed enough to crack the windshield

Attached: 1517699520849.jpg (553x351, 15K)

>>grabs cuck by the collar
>BACK THE FUCK UP???

Attached: 102568754.png (334x393, 134K)

And that's the cheapest one I could find for sale, a base model. A 2008 Z06 is $110,000 aud, or ~$85,000 usd

And the C7s are even worse...

Attached: vettes.jpg (671x720, 81K)

>insurance cost will fuck you
Interesting. I paid $120 a month for full coverage on my C6. Now granted I'm 34 with a spotless record.

>Im not getting a manual

lol then whats the point of getting a Corvette

Also that being said, the corvette is still a dangerously fast car. Manual doesn't make it faster.

DAYUM Ill sell mine for that and go buy 2 more

It sounds like you definitely want a c6 OP. Just get one. Buy the car you want. Who cares what other people think. Im 27 and I bought my 2010 Camaro SS when I was 24 for a great price. Some people will insult your ride if it's not what they like. One guy called my car a big dumb hot wheel but I just laughed because I know it is. That's exactly why I bought it.

Attached: 10988560_952900788054706_5929590687595860288_o.jpg (2048x1152, 318K)

Get this, you'll drown in hipster pussy.

Attached: FORD-Bronco-2710_7.jpg (2048x1536, 617K)

I hope that unlike him you actually liked the car and weren't a retard dreaming about pulling sluts.

Oh yeah dude bitches don't care about cars the same way guys do. I had a long term GF when I got it anyway. She likes the Camaro but she doesn't actually give a shit.

If you live in Portland or Austin this guy is actually on to something.

Any urban setting has hipsters. Just spend what is saved on a more flashy vehicle to pretend you're a rich dude. You'll have more trouble getting out of vagina than into it.

>Live axle
>Corvette

Lmao nigga what are you talking about, corvettes haven't had live axles for the past 50 years

bump

corvettes dont have a live axle you retard

also anyone who droves a V6 has a vagina. and if you are complaining about the corvette not handling well, it is actually one of the best handling road cars available and not to mention its not a fucking japanese boy racer

I am thinking of selling my c5z and getting a c6z. The fact that you can get 1 for not too much and easily make over 500whp n/a is badass