How bad of an idea would it be to get a 728i as a runabout?

How bad of an idea would it be to get a 728i as a runabout?

Attached: bmw.jpg (1536x863, 234K)

If you're a poorfag it's only going to end up sitting.

6cyl is easier to maintain.
6cyl is really slow

Why wouldn’t you just get a 525 or a 530?

A 5 series would be a better choice. I'm assuming you want a 2.8 instead of a bigger engine because you're a poorfag, but in that case it doesn't make sense to buy a car like this. Get a 530i

E38 just looks so damn beautiful, classy and sexy. I know that feel OP, would want one myself.

honestly there is no difference in the maintenance between a e39 and e38 as long as they have the same engine.

If you are in bongland then you should be fine. Cheap parts, every garage knows how to maintain them, and the 6cyl engines are very reliable. Make sure the gearbox works properly, bonus points if the previous owner has changed the fluid. Cooling systems are a weak spot, temp needle should sit in the middle of the gauge even in heavy traffic. If it ventures up, something needs replaced and if you cook them you are in for a world of trouble. Easy to pre-empt though. Also rust can be an issue, especially on the fuel tank so check that and the sills carefully. Check the MOT history carefully (mot-history.net) and see if any advisories have been ignored year on year.

The speed isn't important as I already have another car for speed, I just need to be able to move about in comfort and style.

I like the E39 a lot, but a E38 fits the bill more for what I'm after. If I bought a E39 it'd be a 530d with a manual.

Ty.

>move about
>NA 6 cyl 7 series

more like trudge about kek

>dont need the performance
>728 more reliable than 740

No brainer desu, I don't mind trudging about.

They're big.

Not by todays standards, I bet they are probably about the same size as a new Mondeo

I've always thought that the E38 was very expensive to maintain, or is it only the V8 and V12 engines? If so, does that mean that a 330i and 730i cost the same to maintain?

Meh, my DD is a 730d and it does its job very well. Diesel mileage included

In all the years you have been alive has anyone, tv, radio, magazines, relatives, neighbors, people on the bus you ride, ever said "You know, a used 7 series BMW would make a great runabout."

No.

The e38 is a pretty simple car mechanically, especially with an M52 in it. The newer ones obviously have the potential to be an electrical money pit, but if OP bought one that wasn't rusty and had been looked after it shouldn't be too bad, especially in Europe where parts are dirt cheap. I would sooner take a punt on a decent 728i than a much more complex mid to late 2000s diesel

fuck off ethan.

The fuck is ethan?
I have run plenty of old BMWs as sheds, including an E38. But hey, what do I know.

E38 730i has a 3.0 liter V8, but a 728i and 528i would cost the same to maintain.
Or a 740i and 540i, or 730d and 530d.
E39 and E38 are mechanically almost identical.
e46 is slightly different but the upkeep costs would still be similar.

>tfw diesel E38's were never sold in the UK

Attached: eye roll.jpg (251x242, 11K)

730d is best of both worlds t bh. low maintenance, low fuel consumption, decent power (~240hp, plenty torque with a simple ecu tune)

Shame desu, though I guess it's because back then a diesel in a luxury car was seen as uncouth.

ethan pls go

>tfw you lose dead silence and no vibration
>tfw you lose that juicy petrol engine sound
Its all good if not stuff mentioned above to be quite fucking honest