Oil change

People always go to shops for oil changes but is there any reason you shouldn't just do it yourself?

Attached: download-1.jpg (275x183, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

540ratblog.wordpress.com/
youtu.be/xxjrs-U7lZM?t=2m54s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Average people are lazy, think it's more complicated than it really is and doesn't like getting dirty.

If you bought into some fancy dealership warranty package that gets you free oil changes for live

Don't go to lube shops. They're cancer. If you request actual good oil, it costs more than doing it yourself, and if you get the cheap shit, it's probably 20% sludge-like sediment and not even up to API spec.

I used to go to Auto Zone to get oil and filters but it always cost like 30-35 bucks.
They would have special "oil and filter" deals but it was usually sold out or some other bait and switch.
It was cheaper to bring it to some shop.
Now I get store brand API oil at Walmart for 11 dollars.
Also, none of the stores have those books to look up the filter number anymore so you have to wait on line twice to have the cashier look it up.
Check prices and know what you need before you leave the house. Nothing makes a job less satisfying than getting ripped off and annoyed before you even start.

No convenient storm drain near my house.

>letting some minimum wagecuck potentially fuck up the threads on your filter and pan nut

I let the Walmart greasemonkeys do the $20 dino oil/filter change on my beater because it's worth getting my shopping done while keeping my hands clean. IDGAF about the quality of work since it's just a $500 Impreza that needs to hurry up and die already.

On my weekend car (C5 Corvette) I do my own oil changes because I don't feel like paying an absurd markup for a "synthetic oil change" which is not harder and should therefore not cost 2 to 3 times the price of a conventional oil change.

>is there any reason you shouldn't just do it yourself?
Full synthetic oil and filter change is $49.97 or less at a wal-mart tire and oil service center. I specify quaker state full synthetic and have them substitute a fram ultra oil filter which costs more. It's a great price and I can do my shopping at the wal-mart or neighboring stores.

I don't use the new car free oil change that comes with my cars. They only use that stupid blend of dino and synth oils. So the dino oil still oxidizes and gives it that black color right away.

If you use wal-mart, they allow oil and filter substitutions. So I always have them substitute Quaker State full synthetic and the Fram Ultra filter. Before I request, I go into the store and check to see if it is in stock on the store shelves. That is where they will get the items in the first place. If it's not in stock, I get the oil/filter change some other day when it is in stock. Otherwise, I have to choose between pennzoil and mobil1 synthetic oils as those are the normal choices.

I picked Quaker State full synthetic based upon its test results listed at the 540RAT Oil Database:
540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Attached: oil_ESP_FORMULA_mobil1.jpg (600x600, 52K)

if your going to use walmart oil, just set the car on fire now and save yourself time and money.

your not getting anything but walmart oil and shit bulk filters, no mater what you "specify"

car's under warranty, get 3 free changes a year for another 6 years. Did all the changes on my old car and I feel a bit spoiled now...

If you absolutely can't do an oil change yourself, a dealership or a trusted mechanic is your best bet. Lube shops are full of people who hate their job and want every customer to know it. Whether its letting Hercules tighten an your oil drain or over filling the oil, their are going to make you realize how much they hate their job.

no

My oil costs so much that most shops nearby are within 10 bucks of me doing my own change. They get volume discount of the same oil I buy.

>Whether its letting Hercules tighten an your oil drain or over filling the oil, their are going to make you realize how much they hate their job.
I can't check if they over tighten the oil plug, but I always check the oil level before I drive off.

As for stripped oil drain plug, I once had a car with that. It was a chevrolet bought new at the family-owned dealership. I regularly changed oil at that dealership because it had their oil change deal often enough that I could use it. One day, I got a notice from the problem writer that my car had a stripped oil drain plug. The only solution was to replace the oil pan and gasket for roughly $800 (which included the new oil and filter too).

Now, it was clear to me that it was stripped by the dealership as they were the only source of oil changes. But they steadfastly claimed it was from my getting an oil change elsewhere. Liars.

>getting the oil you request

Get a non shit OEM oil requirement like 0w20 and they have to get you good shit

Mobil 1 only from the guy I go to, partnerships bro.

I do my oil changes every 7000km. I've installed a fumoto valve to drain the oil without any tools so I literally just walk outside with a drain pan + jug of oil and funnel, stick it under the car, flip the valve, then put new oil in the top. I only change the filter every 2nd change so half of the time it's a straight up drain and fill without any filter change, and the filters I buy (fram ultra) have hand grips so there's no tools there either. The drain pan has a spout to empty it into a jug so i dump it into an empty oil jug. Every time i buy new oil I'm also dropping off my old oil for recycling in the same go.

I use pennzoil ultra synthetic which costs about $20 per jug, it's also one of the best oils you can buy off the shelf. Filter is $7 but is rated for 24000km.

It takes me about 5 minutes to change my oil with no tools. If I went to a shop to get a synthetic oil change not only is it a waste of time and gas but it costs about $70 more... I change my oil 4-5 times a year, so I save about $350 per year flipping a fucking valve and putting old oil in a jug.

You REALLY should be doing your own oil changes if you use synthetic. Synthetic costs like fucking $8 more a jug but they'll charge you $40 more at the dumpsterhouse.

Attached: qnyGAFFx.jpg (400x400, 18K)

because it would take 3 fucking hours

I once had a guy at jiffy lube change my drain plug for a ten dollar tip. Didn't even ask him. Literally took it there so they could loosen it because it was over-tightened. Are you retarded or am I missing something? If the whole thing was stripped couldn't you just helicoil it?

>cheaping out a couple bucks for oil on a machine that costs thousands of dollars

Attached: 1415832208711.gif (271x226, 1M)

>7000km with synthetic
Why? Synthetic is baseline 5000miles (8000km) and most cars with them from factory ask for 7500-10000 miles.
I still do 5000 mile changes on my car because I thrash it, but isn't it a bit of a waste under that?

What do you do with the spent oil?

hopefully not what this guy does

Attached: 1413693163715.jpg (460x345, 44K)

>What do you do with the spent oil?
lube up your bumhole

Lots if places have a law that require any place that sells oil has to accept used oil for free.

The cost of the tools and parts for a single DIY oil change are about the same as a single change at a lube shop or dealership. After that, you can bulk buy your oil and filters and whatever else off amazon, save a bunch of money and keep your car in top condition because of it.

Ah yes my 55 gallon drum of Royal Purple

I installed a fumoto and I just do my oil change ~5k after a long road trip. I pull in, put a hose on the fumoto, turn the quarter turn and everything drain into the pan. I usually go have a cup of coffee while it drains.

No mess, no fuss, done in 30 minutes.

Why would a dealership helicoil a drain pan when replacing the pan is easier? I wouldn't trust a helicoil not to leave shaving in the pan anyway.

I'm a delivery driver. Lots of short tripping and fuel dilution in the oil, lots of hills and heat, plus i drive like a dick, so my use needs a more severe oil change interval.

ok, thats fair.

my province has a multitude of places that are partnered to accept used oil. super easy.

royal purple is garbage, colored meme oil. read the ratblog.

>he dosent want purple engine internals
You gotta go full rice

>couldn't you just helicoil it?
I asked the dealer to helicoil it but they REFUSED. They only use official parts. So that means replacement. They do not "repair" something. It's just replacement with new parts unless warranty. For warranty repairs, they use reconditioned parts.

My dad had a full set-up for oil changes, roll-ups, wheel caulks, a full set of Craftsman tools, drip pans, etc. etc. and did most of his oil changes himself. I, on the other hand, can't afford a large garage and a house, and have to make do with renting an apartment in a minority neighborhood.

Attached: 1506638279468.png (446x595, 451K)

M O B I L 1
O
B
I
L

Attached: 1490837557098.jpg (600x590, 94K)

then throw some food coloring into good oil? wait... would that cause sludge?

My dad drove a clapped out 70s Fiat he bought with a seized engine and fixed it regularly in the university parking lot. That said, he also paid for school with a mechanic's job at Sears so times were different back then.

Why not just use your c5 as a daily and buy a nice weekend or project car?

>Go to change oil on car that had only ever been in shops
>my face putting tugging away at the oil plug for nearly 2 hours just trying to get it to budge

Attached: 1496330859026.jpg (1014x1024, 60K)

Whatever/Wherever I buy goes right back there with the old oil

>Also, none of the stores have those books to look up the filter number anymore so you have to wait on line twice to have the cashier look it up.

That's because now people have this thing called a smartphone that lets them look up what they need when they are too stupid to look in their car manual or remember what kind of oil they bought the last billion times they bought oil, you human piece of walking garbage fuck you fuck you fuck you

Attached: 071374-600x600-A.jpg (600x600, 35K)

post you're valve, i'm kinda curious. i installed a magnetic one on my car with a 1/2 end so i don't even need a socket to change it, just a rachet

Typical normie responses to not changing your oil

>I don’t have tools
Buy some
>I don’t have time
But you have time to wait your lazy ass in the waiting room for an hour?
>I don’t know how
Learn

I'll have a Mexican roll up on my ass in an electric golf cart and tell me to stop all the repairing because I'll spill oil.
t.apartment dweller

Attached: t0yHzjb.jpg (605x338, 34K)

>not having a job that provides a garage with lift as benefit
>not having your own tools
>not knowing how to
Why live, fags? Life gets so much easier when you can do shit without relying on other retards and paying for everything. Paid services are the nursery homes of society.

Attached: 1521390078127.jpg (1667x1459, 533K)

Not everyone has weekends available to fuck around with their car all the time, especially those people who have big boy salaries.

Oil changes are an hour long job every few months

because the shop is literally 2 blocks away and they charge next to nothing and have a fucking lift and all the tools needed

I do more interesting jobs like suspension, brakes etc myself but oil change? Fuck that shit id rather chill home and keep playing vidya

i used to do it but dont do it
It actually is worse for the engine and even if you race its better to leave old oil in for at least 3k more

who hurt you?

>Hour long
I know what you're going for here, but (I dunno about newer cars) my mx5 is in/out in 15 minutes tops, 5 if I don't let it drip.

Where did you hear this load of tripe?

Modern cars are aero cover monstrosities, plus I'm assuming he's a novice

>It actually is worse for the engine and even if you race its better to leave old oil in for at least 3k more

holy fuck you're retarded. learn about how oil works before you embarrass yourself further

some cars put their filters in absolutely retarded locations these days so I can see it taking an hour for one of those

That's what I figured. If an engine bay from modern cars have 5 metric tonnes of ABS coverings, godknows what they have on the underside, where they DEFINITELY wouldn't be looking anyway.

This is under the ND oil pan BTW

Attached: 0305181436-1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 621K)

whats with the pillow?

Fair enough, didn't think about the filter. I've never had a vehicle that has one in a shitty location, except my GSF250.

some mount the bitches on the BACK of the block.

Even the common vw golf requires you to remove the splash guard and fight with hoses to remove the filter if you don't want a mess

Sits under the oil filter I think to prevent banging on the plate

Why are engineers and financial constraints the way they are?

Attached: 0jpvKKW.jpg (3421x2281, 713K)

Toyota truck?

Subaru outback, 2.5 if memory serves.

Attached: JJAEqyI.jpg (600x800, 70K)

i assume that cuppy bit around the filter is deep enough to hold the oil that comes out? even so, that's pretty messy.

also, many new cars are going cartridge type filters which are objectively retarded.

pretty sure its a hyundai, looks like the oem filter

Attached: B1153640241.jpg (360x360, 17K)

Ah, reminds me of FJ and Taco V6

Attached: P9251503.jpg (1023x767, 82K)

lmao, yeah, letting mandingo fuck your wife while you jack off and film it takes up every weekend you have, cuckboi. Shows how much of a car enthusiast you are if oil changes take up all your weekends.

Attached: e271276d.jpg (900x900, 71K)

It's definitely deep enough. You might have an issue if you take it out while the engine is running or before draining the oil pan.

youtu.be/xxjrs-U7lZM?t=2m54s

Kek I want to see this in action. Oil fountain.

>Oil changes are an hour long job every few months
Same here if I count all the time of set up and all the time of clean up followed by putting away all the tools. I also count the time of disposing of the used oil. It really does come to about an hour total.

It's also annoying getting under the car. I don't like how tight it feels under there. It always feels dangerous somehow.

>Tank's full brah!

I put a bit too much oil in the engine. It's about 3 mm over max. Will that cause problems on the short term?

>It always feels dangerous somehow.
because your jack/roll-ups could fail and 2000+ pounds of metal falls on your head

Attached: 1521521026357.png (800x800, 283K)

It's all the same oil.
Do you think Castrol or Quaker State have their own oil wells somewhere?
Where are the refineries where they process all this premium crude?
They buy railroad cars of API oil and put it in their own jugs. The markup you pay covers the cost of advertising their oil as something special.
Walmart gets the same stuff. Probably from one of 5 or so distributors in the country.
When you look at the similarities of the jugs at the store you realize only the color and labels are different. Check the date stamps and lot numbers. I'm not so sure they even package it themselves.
Some where there is a bulk oil facility that fills yellow jugs on Monday for Pennzoil, Green ones on Tuesday for Quaker State...

>you human piece of walking garbage fuck you fuck you fuck you
As they say in Wisconsin:
"Got some issues, have ya?"

That might just be a design flaw.
My filter goes straight up from the bottom and I always fill it with clean oil before installing it.
A mechanic once told me that 90% of bearing wear occurs in the 5 seconds it takes the filter to fill up after an oil change.

Because you can usually get name brand synthetic oil and a top tier filter for the same price as paying someone else for shit conventional, a shit filter, and no fucks given about your car.

It's definitely a Subaru, their filters are blue as well and Hyundai has never made a boxer.

i took my subcompact in for oil changes because it was too annoying to get under it but now all i have is bikes and big trucks and it's easy enough to just do it myself

>people have this thing called a smartphone
What's a smart-phone?

Attached: Spouts Off.jpg (570x380, 73K)

One a them whatchamacallits, a eye cellphone walkie talkie thing

my grandma calls them little square boxes

But they're rectangles

This seems like the right thread. How do I go about removing an over tightened AND stripped sump plug? I’m thinking locktite-ing a ratchet wrench to it.
A rectangle is just an irregular square

why is the oil nut always so tight bros?

>Big boy salary
>doesn't have a garage with a lift
>all weekend to change oil

You are weak and soft.

One reason is probably because lube techs are usually standing up under the car and can get good leverage with the tool easily, most diy-ers are on the ground in an awkward position and can't, even if the plug wasn't overtorqued.

does putting a drop of oil on the nut before scrwing it back in really help?

No, the threads already have oil on them from taking it out and draining it. That does make a big difference with the filter though, you wanna put some clean oil on the filter gasket first before you put it on.

Some people wrap teflon tape on the threads

Attached: Thread Seal Tape.jpg (450x450, 16K)

>get oil changed at Wally
>dumb tech didn't know my Mustang has 2 drain plugs; one in front and one in the rear
Thanks for leaving an extra quart sitting in there for a few days, buddy.

To be fair that's an old Ford thing that nobody else does anymore. Walmart techs don't have anything like alldata or any service manuals at all besides basic oil capacity, filter application, and torque spec guides so I don't really blame him. That's the kinda deal I'd let them know about beforehand because unless you knew it had two plugs already why would you look past the first one?

Mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic and Motorcraft filter, every 3000 miles.

Attached: 29472964_613651682308848_7861091702864347136_n.jpg (540x960, 99K)

That. And they know they get fired if the drain plug falls out and the engine seizes.

Do you change the oil when the car is cold?
Might be easier if the car is fully warmed up.
They say this also puts all the contaminants in suspension so they drain out with the old oil.

>draining hot oil
>trying to unscrew the filter when its placed under a burning hot intake manifold

You can do the filter later.
After the exhaust manifold cools off.

Correction, normies do.
As long as you have the tools needed, other than arthritis, or you get the oil changed for free (my barber gets this from part of the deal when she bought her Toyota)there is no reason not to do it yourself.

All you really do is loosen a screw, take out the oil filter, put a new oil filter, tighten the screw, and then put new oil. It's pretty straightforward, and even easier then changing brake pads.